1AA Final: Lakeville South v. Lakeville North

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins section 1AA?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Lakeville South
71%
Lakeville North
29%

Total votes: 35

RickyTicky

1AA Final: Lakeville South v. Lakeville North

Post by RickyTicky »

The 2nd straight year these 2 teams have met in the final. South won both games between the 2 teams easily this year, 7-2 and 6-1, but last year was similar and North pulled off the upset in the section final. I think this year the gap between the 2 teams have grown a lot and for North to have a chance in this one Lindgren will need to stand on his head against South's unstoppable first line and North will need some bounces to go their way. I think Lindgren keeps it close but don't see how North can win this one..

South-4
North-2
standout4thlinejver

Post by standout4thlinejver »

South wins this year then loses two games at state. If Lindgren was on South would he be enough to give this section a chance to win a first round game in state?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

standout4thlinejver wrote:South wins this year then loses two games at state.
Same old story for the 1AA.

8)
The Puck
LGW
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I realize all programs lose kids to private schools but as we move forward with our annual bashing of section 1AA I think it should be pointed out that since the split Lakeville can't seem to keep many of its top players around. Since the split neither team has the numbers to excel when its top end players choose a different route. Do you think South might win a game if Shroeder, Reid, Kroska, Osterberg and McKneely were still there? This group of kids was at or near the top during youth hockey but as is the case with many programs, many chose a different path at the High School level. Maybe we should take it a step further and go the mega school route..now you could add Skjei, Arentz, Winicki and Lindgren. As it is 1aa is likely destined for the two and out program again but it certainly could have been much different.

As for the game, South is the better team but this time of year with the cross town rivalry its probably a toss up.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

[quote="keepyourheadup"]I realize all programs lose kids to private schools but as we move forward with our annual bashing of section 1AA I think it should be pointed out that since the split Lakeville can't seem to keep many of its top players around. Since the split neither team has the numbers to excel when its top end players choose a different route. Do you think South might win a game if Shroeder, Reid, Kroska, Osterberg and McKneely were still there? This group of kids was at or near the top during youth hockey but as is the case with many programs, many chose a different path at the High School level. Maybe we should take it a step further and go the mega school route..now you could add Skjei, Arentz, Winicki and Lindgren. As it is 1aa is likely destined for the two and out program again but it certainly could have been much different.

As for the game, South is the better team but this time of year with the cross town rivalry its probably a toss up.[/quote]

I think part of the reason why kids leave is that Lakeville has never had a reputation as a hockey powerhouse like Edina, EP, Jefferson, ect... Lakeville had never even made the state tournament until 2002 and they had around a .500 record I believe the first couple years they made the state tournament. Kids growing up in Lakeville have always thought if they want to be sucessful in high school and beyond they need to go to a powerhouse like St. Thomas or Holy Angels or just leave for juniors or Ann Arbor. If they would of stayed at one school and had all the great young players stay they would have a program a lot like EP, Edina, and Minnetonka where they can consistantly put a top 10 team on the ice and then maybe kids would stay. As it is, they have a reputation as an average program in a below average section. It will be interesting to see what Kloos and Harvey do next year, if they stay South could have another good season.

South should win this one, if North pulls off the upset again this year they will have a 13-14-1 record going into state... and if you think people whine a lot now about section 1AA, you just wait
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

keepyourheadup wrote:I realize all programs lose kids to private schools but as we move forward with our annual bashing of section 1AA I think it should be pointed out that since the split Lakeville can't seem to keep many of its top players around. Since the split neither team has the numbers to excel when its top end players choose a different route. Do you think South might win a game if Shroeder, Reid, Kroska, Osterberg and McKneely were still there? This group of kids was at or near the top during youth hockey but as is the case with many programs, many chose a different path at the High School level. Maybe we should take it a step further and go the mega school route..now you could add Skjei, Arentz, Winicki and Lindgren. As it is 1aa is likely destined for the two and out program again but it certainly could have been much different.

As for the game, South is the better team but this time of year with the cross town rivalry its probably a toss up.
I agree that Lakeville has suffered severely from players opting to play for private schools, or the NTDP, which they have every right to do. Coming through Peewee's and Bantam's, LS had a very nice collection of players, many who didn't go the traditional "play for my hometown high school" route. I'm just curious if you think it's possible that with so many very good players, decisions were made to leave and opt for private schools BECAUSE they had so much talent there? My point is that if you've got 6 or 7 "1st line" caliber players, the fact is you can have only one "1st line". Do you think it's possible that some of the player loss is attributable to this?

Just a thought. :?:
longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

Neuuman that is a very good question.

However, if that were the case, why st. thomas? Those kids who left would have been automatic 3 year, maybe 4 year varsity players, vs. 2 for some maybe even 1 solid year at st. thomas.

Also, I guess I have a very romantic view of high school hockey, but my goal would have been to win the class AA state title, and had those kids stayed that would have been one scary team to play. And possibly won a state championship.

In the end they have had the same result at St Thomas as they would have at south. Losses in the section final.
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

longdistancespectator8 wrote:Neuuman that is a very good question.

However, if that were the case, why st. thomas? Those kids who left would have been automatic 3 year, maybe 4 year varsity players, vs. 2 for some maybe even 1 solid year at st. thomas.

Also, I guess I have a very romantic view of high school hockey, but my goal would have been to win the class AA state title, and had those kids stayed that would have been one scary team to play. And possibly won a state championship.

In the end they have had the same result at St Thomas as they would have at south. Losses in the section final.
Why St. Thomas? I don't know - I can only speculate. Maybe they figured the visibility was better being a bigger fish in a smaller pond vs. being a smaller fish in a bigger pond. I share your romantic view of H.S. hockey - my goal (what seems like about 100 years ago) was to GET to the state tourney. I just wonder, ALL things considered, if leaving all your friends to attend a private school for hockey purposes (and don't get me wrong, I'm sure you get a top-notch education at, say, St. Thomas) has anything to do with your hockey future after high school. I can't provide any verified statistical data, but I'd be willing to bet that for each kid that changed high schools for primarily hockey reasons, 5 years after that if you asked them if they'd do it again, most would say "I wish I would have finished H.S. with my buddies". Playing high school hockey on a team that is not a "premier" team is not the kiss of death. Bottom line is - if you have sufficient talent, work hard, are smart and a good teammate and team leader, somebody at the "next" level will find a place for you on their roster and will give you minutes. If you have to spend a year in "juniors", so what? An "extra" year before you finish college doesn't sound like too bad a thing to me. If the goal is the NHL, I'm sure there are a boatload of Canadian truck drivers that would tell you they wish they hadn't put all of their eggs in the "hockey" basket.

Just one man's opinion.
Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 »

Neuuman wrote:I can't provide any verified statistical data, but I'd be willing to bet that for each kid that changed high schools for primarily hockey reasons, 5 years after that if you asked them if they'd do it again, most would say "I wish I would have finished H.S. with my buddies".
I don't believe that. Given the choice, my kid stayed and I really don't lose any sleep over what other kids & families choose to do, but the "stay with friends" argument has never held water for me. These guys, especially the talented ones with choices, have hockey friends EVERYwhere. I think, virtually all would say they are happy with the choices they've made.

Just another opinion.
mn man

Post by mn man »

PuckU126 wrote:

8)
Put Burnsville in this section, then their student section can get to state!!
danglingnsnipen15

Post by danglingnsnipen15 »

South has too much talent for North to keep up with. North doesnt have any players that are skilled enough to match up with South's first line. Even if Lindgren plays well, I still think South will take this one. Assuming South does go to state, with a good goaltending performance, is this the year that 1AA makes some noise in the state tournament?? :lol:
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

[quote="mn man"][quote="PuckU126"][quote="standout4thlinejver"]South wins this year then loses two games at state.[/quote]

8)[/quote]

Put Burnsville in this section, then their student section can get to state!![/quote]

They need to just put the lakeville schools in a different section and drop all the rest of the teams in section 1aa to single A... Its brutal that an average and a below average metro team are able to walk through this section without anyone giving them a challenge (South won 7-1, and 8-0.. North won 7-1, 7-0)... Rosemount could of won the big nine this year for crying out loud
Nodak Sioux

Post by Nodak Sioux »

RickyTicky I agree with you this section is horrible. But until Rochester does something with their youth program to make kids want to stay public instead of all the good players going to Lourdes, this section is going to remain terrible.
bhshockey11

Post by bhshockey11 »

mn man wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:

8)
Put Burnsville in this section, then their student section can get to state!!

This is what I like to hear!! Edina, Burnsville, Holy Angels, Jefferson, even Prior Lake could shut out Lakeville and get a chance at state. 1AA is a joke for boys and girls.
longdistancespectator8

Let the 1AA bashing begin

What you just posted bhs is true for Edina and maybe burnsville. Both games with burnsville were close for LS, they swept Prior Lake, and won and tied a game with Jefferson.

Try to research a little before you make ridiculous statements like that.

Once again, as everyone knows 1AA is the worst section, and its not going to change so why waste time complaining, nothing you say is going to put burnsville in the state tournament or anyone for that matter. So let the game happen and be respectful of those lakeville high schoolers who are going to get a shot to play in front of 17000+
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

[quote="longdistancespectator8"]Let the 1AA bashing begin

What you just posted bhs is true for Edina and maybe burnsville. Both games with burnsville were close for LS, they swept Prior Lake, and won and tied a game with Jefferson.

Try to research a little before you make ridiculous statements like that.

Once again, as everyone knows 1AA is the worst section, and its not going to change so why waste time complaining, nothing you say is going to put burnsville in the state tournament or anyone for that matter. So let the game happen and be respectful of those lakeville high schoolers who are going to get a shot to play in front of 17000+[/quote]

I agree Longdistancespectator8.. while I will say that 1AA is terrible, I do have respect for at least Lakeville South because they have played well and beat good teams like AV and Jefferson and played Burnsville really tough both games. They are legit and their top line is amazing, Kloos can win a game by himself. Will they win at state?.. I would say doubtful but they can compete and if they get a couple bounces and some good goaltending then sure they could upset someone..

.. The rest of section 1AA is about as brutal as they come, I just pray South doesn't choke again this year because North will get embarrassed at state. They have one of the top goalies in the state and they were still 10-14-1 heading into sections
clutterbuck22

Post by clutterbuck22 »

If anyone is going to the game, let me know via pm. Looking to get video feed set up for Midwest Hockey.
bhshockey11

Post by bhshockey11 »

Prior lake got better at the end of the year. They went from losing to bv 12 - 0 to taking them to ot. Jefferson had a rocky year, but all in all... whether "bashing" them is fair or not, they will continually go to state and continually not win it. Which further more widens the gap between the top teams in the state tournament and the teams that make it due to their section. Say what you want, playing lakeville north to get to state isn't a very good warm up for what they will see there.
longdistancespectator8

BHS:
Do they need a warm up?
Does lakeville south suddenly forget who they have played this year? they would have played at least 4 of the 8 teams to make the state tournament had their game with edina not been canceled. That means they will enter the tournament having played Eden Prairie, Hill Murray, and the winner of either Apple Valley or Eagan. If anything playing this easy section tournament is a blessing for a team because they don't have to worry about over playing their stars and burning out like say minnetonka last year.

You have to remember they dont play in the big 9, they play in a reasonably strong conference and had arguably as difficult a non conference schedule as anyone, excluding the game with rochester century.

No, they probably won't go there and win. But your complaining about it achieves nothing as 1AA could send the most worthy team they have sent in some time.
bhshockey11

Post by bhshockey11 »

Not complaining... I don't ming an intense final section game to watch :wink: . Good luck to them I'm just being blunt.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

is anyone going down to this game or is it steaming somewhere?
longdistancespectator8

It would be awesome if there was a live feed for this
mnsportsnetwork

Post by mnsportsnetwork »

is anyone going down to this game or is it steaming somewhere?

It would be awesome if there was a live feed for this

Tonight's game between Lakeville North and Lakeville South will be broadcast on the Minnesota Sports Broadcast Network. Fans can listen to the game tonight by visiting MSBN's website at www.MnSportsNetwork.com.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

South - 4
North - 1
2001 & 2006 State Participant
longdistancespectator8

LN needed something special to win tonight and they got it. Congratulations to charlie lindgren and section 1AA on the win. Charlie you did absolutely averything ot be a winning coach