Most surprising and Most disappointing teams in 2010-2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who gets the nod as most disappointing team of the year?

Century
7%
Roseau
36%
AHA
39%
East Grand Forks
1%
Other
16%

Total votes: 69

clutterbuck22

Most surprising and Most disappointing teams in 2010-2011

Post by clutterbuck22 »

What are your most surprising and most disappointing teams for this season?

Most surprising- Hermantown, Grand Rapids, Eagan (?), Mankato West, Rochester Mayo, Bemidji.

Most Disappointing- Century, Roseau, East Grand Forks, Spring Lake Park,
Academy of Holy Angels, Faribault, and Cretin Durham Hall (?)
218er

Post by 218er »

Not just this year, but I can't believe how much the White Bear Lake's program has fallen. They used to dominate youth programs and would loose kids to private schools... Now their Bantam A team loses games to highland park, and their high school team is never even in the running to get back to the tourney.

Also, I'm surprised the Brainerd has never been able to put together a decent hockey program. That is a big town and they don't run the risk of losing kids to surrounding communities. I guess it’s just not a hockey town, but with the enrollment the have you'd think they make some noise one of these years. Glad to see they finally produced a D-1 prospect.
Cherry Picker

Re: Most surprising and Most disappointing teams in 2010-201

Post by Cherry Picker »

clutterbuck22 wrote:What are your most surprising and most disappointing teams for this season?

Most surprising- Hermantown, Grand Rapids, Eagan (?), Mankato West, Rochester Mayo, Bemidji.

Most Disappointing- Century, Roseau, East Grand Forks, Spring Lake Park,
Academy of Holy Angels, Faribault, and Cretin Durham Hall (?)
I agree with AHA and Faribault was very disappointing. I think Orono and New Prague was very surprising this year. Orono beat Blake and everyone thought New Prague was going to be terrible this year and they're in the Section Finals
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

Archibald is not the 1st D1 prospect to come out of brainerd. I hear you on them not being able to make much noise though.
218er

Post by 218er »

The Next One wrote:Archibald is not the 1st D1 prospect to come out of brainerd. I hear you on them not being able to make much noise though.
I know he's not the first... But its been awhile, and they are few and far between. I think Peluso was the last one. That was several years ago. What are the youth teams like? Any good youth coaching that could turn things around?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

218er wrote:Not just this year, but I can't believe how much the White Bear Lake's program has fallen. They used to dominate youth programs and would loose kids to private schools... Now their Bantam A team loses games to highland park, and their high school team is never even in the running to get back to the tourney.
I think this is a High School Hockey forum, so I think you should limit your responses to the HS team. Since WBL won the SEC, are the #2 seed in 4AA, and are still in the running to go to state, I don't think you can call them a dissapointment this year. Matter of fact, so far, I would consider this a good year for them. If they should somehow get by HM, then it would be a GREAT year!
218er

Post by 218er »

BodyShots wrote:
218er wrote:Not just this year, but I can't believe how much the White Bear Lake's program has fallen. They used to dominate youth programs and would loose kids to private schools... Now their Bantam A team loses games to highland park, and their high school team is never even in the running to get back to the tourney.
I think this is a High School Hockey forum, so I think you should limit your responses to the HS team. Since WBL won the SEC, are the #2 seed in 4AA, and are still in the running to go to state, I don't think you can call them a dissapointment this year. Matter of fact, so far, I would consider this a good year for them. If they should somehow get by HM, then it would be a GREAT year!
Pro Hockey, College Hockey, and Youth hockey are all discussed on this forum as they relate to High School Hockey (Current, Present, and Past)... so I think you shouldn't tell me what to do. All topics are an open discussion. I'm not the first person to take something in a little different direction. That is what these are all about.

I hope to see WBL gets past Hill... I've always liked their program, but I remember when they used to dominate all levels and they haven't in recent years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I looked at Class AA only and compared LPH's first rankings of the season (November 24th) to the latest (February 23rd) to see which teams fell and gained the most. In other words, which teams disappointed and surprised as compared to pre-season expectations amongst the "experts" who do the LPH rankings.

Looked at it this way, it appears that Roseau disappointed the most - they were ranked No. 12 at the beginning of the season and of course they are no longer ranked in the Top 20. Edina was No. 1 in pre-season but is No. 6 now, falling 5 spots. Apple Valley (No. 7 to 12) and Holy Angels (No. 15 to 20) also fell 5 spots each. But for AA only Roseau has fallen the most, again based on pre-season expectations.

The AA team that has most exceeded expectations, based on who climbed the most in LPH's rankings, is Grand Rapids. They went from not being ranked at all in the pre-season to their current No. 9 position. Maple Grove has also surprised, moving up 7 spots from No. 10 in November to No. 3 now. Next best for teams that were ranked in the pre-season is No. 1 Hill-Murray, having moved up from No. 4. All the other ranked teams that improved their rankings did so more modestly. Other teams besides Grand Rapids that were not ranked in November but are now include No. 15 Bemidji, No. 17 Lakeville South and No. 19 Cloquet.

Of course there are other ways to look at this but I thought this would add some perspective.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Most Disappointing-

A: Mahtomedi

AA: Academy of Holy Angels

Most Surprising-

A: Willmar

AA: Eagan
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

Surprising:
Willmar -- One win away from glory.
Proctor -- Didn't see them coming.
Chisago Lakes
Hastings -- First sign of life since like 2002.
Maple Grove -- I figured they'd be good, not this good.
Minneapolis -- More teams need to combine like they did. They got hosed at the seeding meeting.
Grand Rapids -- A lot better than most people expected.

Disappointing:
Duluth Central -- Way too inconsistent.
International Falls -- Disappointed in the kids.
Faribault -- #1 seed last year.
Rochester Century
Holy Angels -- Probably the biggest disappointment.
Centennial -- Pre-season top ten that ended 1 game over .500.
Osseo -- Goaltending was an issue all season.
Brainerd -- Preseason favorite in 8AA.
Roseau -- I expected a lot more. I'm not alone.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
Skip_per

Brainerd D-1's

Post by Skip_per »

I think some of you are mistaken.
Brainerd has produced a number of D1 kids unfortunately just not mulitples at the same time.
Carl Sneep - went to Boston College and won a Ntl Champ his Sr year there.
Drew Olson is playing for UMD Bull Dogs right now.

Yes Chris Peluso

JP Platisha went to UNO

Ryan Peltoma is at Bowling Green as of now.

So please give us some credit.

And yes we have some competition.

Northern Lakes takes some kids from us as does Little Falls.
Kids do not all come to Brainerd.

Peace
Skipper
Peace
PeterDenton

Post by PeterDenton »

If I recall correctly Joey Frazier was also committed to UNO for a brief time period before making a last minute decision to play for Medicine Hat?
I can't believe they didn't make the tourney back when they had Sneep, Peltoma, Olson, and Fraizer all on the same team but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Holy Angels definately surprised me this year as well as the past few years. I understand they play in one the best sections in the state, but since being in 2AA they have yet to play in a section final and have never really taken over like they used to in the early/mid 2000's.
shins

Re: Brainerd D-1's

Post by shins »

Skip_per wrote: ....... as does Little Falls.
Kids do not all come to Brainerd.

Peace
Out of curiosity, who has left for LF????
defense

Post by defense »

Dissapointment: Vikings. Gophers

I kinda was thinkin East Grand would have a lot better year. Roseau came back to earth.
I didn't know Bemidji was on the verge of a year like this. DItto Little Falls.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

fivehole628 wrote:Most Disappointing-

Most Surprising-

If you think Eagan was a surprise this year you have not been paying attention...they won 20 games last year and lost to eventual tournament entrant Apple Valley in OT in the section Semi's with a very talented group of sophs.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

defense wrote:Dissapointment: Vikings.
Yeah! No kidding

Seriously though.. as far as a disappointment goes, I have to go with the obvious - St. Paul Highland Park. I mean, c'mon man... regardless of their program or school history, 0 and 25 is an embarrassment no matter what side of the ice you're on. And many times they lost by huge scores, too: 1-15, 3-12, 1-11, 0-10, etc.. JEEZ. COULD THESE GUYS EVEN SKATE!??

That's just horrible. Especially for a Class A team.

Man, I can't even imagine what their JV team looked like! :lol:
bloody bar down

Post by bloody bar down »

Also, I'm surprised the Brainerd has never been able to put together a decent hockey program. That is a big town and they don't run the risk of losing kids to surrounding communities. I guess it’s just not a hockey town, but with the enrollment the have you'd think they make some noise one of these years. Glad to see they finally produced a D-1 prospect.
Brainerd is a Football/ Baseball town. has been for a long...time. They are trying to make it a hockey town as well, but just do not get the number of athlete's to play the sport. Maybe they would have more D1 players or success if their players played just hockey. Of their top 3 players this year Archibald plays only hockey, Pohlkamp plays Football and Hockey and McLain plays Football, Hockey and Baseball. Maybe those last 2 should just concentrate on hockey and then they could be possible D1 players too.
MedleyWR

Post by MedleyWR »

White Bear has played for the section championship in 10 of the past 12 years. So, 83% of the time since 2000, they have been in the running to get to the tourney, including this year.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
fivehole628 wrote:Most Disappointing-

Most Surprising-

If you think Eagan was a surprise this year you have not been paying attention...they won 20 games last year and lost to eventual tournament entrant Apple Valley in OT in the section Semi's with a very talented group of sophs.
Agreed, Eagan was always going to have a solid team this year, no surprise at all.
Midwest Hockey Pick 'em Champion 2010-2011
INDUS

Post by INDUS »

MNHOCK75 , PRETTY MUCH HIT IT ON THE HEAD, I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR THE NORTH TEAMS BUT, HIBBING, GRAND RAPIDS E. GRAND FORKS AND ROSEAU WILL BE TEAMS TO WATCH IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

Grand Rapids and Bemidji would have to be considered surprise teams this year with the amount of success they had.

Roseau and Bloomington Jefferson would be the disappointing teams IMO.

Another surprise team I think is Chisago Lakes just based on their record though.
Edgy

Post by Edgy »

As a suprise in AA - Prior Lake in the second have of the year, especially given how their 1st have went.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Disappointing- Benilde, not because they did bad, but because they were ranked among the top 5 and even top 3 at parts of the year and didn't make the section finals, even though I do realize the difficulty of their section.

Surprise- Totino Grace did much better than the past few years and made the section finals, losing to STA
wblhockeyfan8
Location: White Bear Lake, MN. Front row of the student section.

Post by wblhockeyfan8 »

How do you like your crow? Grilled? :wink:
Always celly hard.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

Hill Murray has to be on the disappointing list. You can't just lose in sections like that with all the hype and talent. Should have played a harder schedule if possible.
EP two out of three.