Pioneer Press Player of the Year and All-State Team

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

stpaul

Pioneer Press Player of the Year and All-State Team

Post by stpaul »

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_175 ... ck_check=1

http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_17560367

Congratulations to Tim Schaughnessy. He's a great kid with a great future. 29 ACT score. Looks like he got a lot more out of going to Hill-Murray than just hockey.
Last edited by stpaul on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I just cancelled my subscription. :roll: I'm done paying for the Hill Murray Pioneer Press!
Last edited by BodyShots on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
irwin fletcher

Post by irwin fletcher »

Player of the year? Wow. I know it's the east side paper but wow is that a completely biased choice.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Interesting selection.
High Flyer

Re: Pioneer Press Player of the Year and All-State Team

Post by High Flyer »

NICK DECENZO HIBBING/CHISHOLM, PP all state defensemen?????? So much for credibility of the nonminations.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Hills education is child's play compared to other privates such as MPA, SPA

Goalie of the year? WOW. He played in a terribly weak conference with good D-men in front of him.

How did he do in the Elite league against good compo?
-Not Good
How did he do friday at the fairgrounds?
-Not Good
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

mnpuckster wrote:Hills education is child's play compared to other privates such as MPA, SPA.
It seems the ACT folks would disagree with you.

"For the second year in a row, the American College Testing Service (ACT) has awarded Hill-Murray School its prestigious Red Quill Award for academic excellence. Hill-Murray is one of only six schools statewide and the only Catholic school in Minnesota to receive this recognition."

"It is one of only 18 Minnesota high schools accredited as college preparatory by the North Central Association, and the only metro school cited twice, in 2007 and 2010, by American College Testing (ACT) for its rigorous college preparatory coursework."
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Take the blinders off bud.

Mounds Park and SPA>>>>HM in education.

These kids went for hockey. Period. End of story.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Congrats, Timmy and family.

I commend the Pioneer Press for taking his full body of work into account as a student-athlete. A 29 ACT score and GPA of 3.8 is fantastic. I took the ACT 3 times in my day, and you could add all 3 scores up and it still wouldn't equal 29!! :P
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Congrats to the kid, but I think the Saint paul Pioneers press got it wrong again.

Malvin?
Bitzer?
stpaul

HM

Post by stpaul »

mnpuckster wrote:Take the blinders off bud.

Mounds Park and SPA>>>>HM in education.

These kids went for hockey. Period. End of story.
Let's not let the facts get in the way. I guess if you say period & end of story it must be true. The ACT must be part of the HM conspiracy.

I sent 3 kids to HM. They got a 31, 28 & 31 respectively on the ACT. They didn't get that from the old man. They got it from the teachers at HM and their own hard work. The same is true for Tim Schaughnessy.

Now I must go take off my blinders. I would encourage you to have your vision checked. It's apparently clouded.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

Good for you for sending your kids to HM. Would you like a small parade?
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Are all the players listed below all state, or honerable mention?
High Flyer

Re: HM

Post by High Flyer »

stpaul wrote:
mnpuckster wrote:Hills education is child's play compared to other privates such as MPA, SPA.
It seems the ACT folks would disagree with you.

"For the second year in a row, the American College Testing Service (ACT) has awarded Hill-Murray School its prestigious Red Quill Award for academic excellence. Hill-Murray is one of only six schools statewide and the only Catholic school in Minnesota to receive this recognition."

"It is one of only 18 Minnesota high schools accredited as college preparatory by the North Central Association, and the only metro school cited twice, in 2007 and 2010, by American College Testing (ACT) for its rigorous college preparatory coursework."
Mnpuckster-A 29 on your ACT is pretty good, regardless of the school one attends.

St. Paul-your statement is a bit misleading:

1) To qualify for the Red Quill Award, schools must first agree to use “Act’s Explore” and “Plan” assessment programs for eight and tenth grade students. Not every school “chooses” to do this and some use other means for assessment.
2) Of those schools whom are using Explore & Plan, to qualify for the Red Quill schools are required to demonstrate how they effectively use the results of these assessment programs to improve the education they provide to students through curriculum and instruction. In addition, the schools were required to demonstrate consistent improvement in ACT scores over the past five years.

So the award deals with only the schools who are using the program and the schools who are showing improvement.

Note 2009-10 “average” ACT test scores:

East side catholic privates:
HM 25.2 (was 23.5)
STA 27.5 (was 26.9)

Nondenominational private schools
SPA 30.0 (was a 30)
MPA 27 (was 27)
Last edited by High Flyer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

BodyShots wrote:I just cancelled my subscription. :roll: I'm done paying for the Hill Murray Pioneer Press!
Body... you are still keeping the subscriptions you hide in the closet, so Mrs. Body doesn't find them, aren't you????
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

a 29 is a VERY good score, and props to Timmy. He must be a smart kid. All I am saying is that I dont believe it is the school that is the main contributor to that score. How about the kids overall aptitude to learn and comprehend? If Timmy went to Stillwater, what score does he get? My guess is a 29
stpaul

PP

Post by stpaul »

LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:Are all the players listed below all state, or honerable mention?
The ones with the bios are all-state. The longer list below is honorable mention. The paper version is laid out better and has photos for all the all-state players. Interesting that Kyle Rau is the only Gopher recruit, although Mario Lucia will certainly go there if dad is still around. The Don is letting too many of these kids go to Wisconsin.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

When did Decenzo commit to Wis?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Congrats to tim and all the kids. The metro will be down to one paper soon.
High Flyer

Post by High Flyer »

mulefarm wrote:When did Decenzo commit to Wis?
It's Daily who is the WI commit
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

This is a joke.

There are three Red Lake Falls kids on this list. You idiots do realize the only teams they play are Kittson, Bagley, Ely, Wadena, Park Rapids and Wahpeton right? Just making sure.

Congrats to Decenzo! A lot of people don't realize that Hibbing plays 3 defenseman and 2 fowards.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
stpaul

Wisconsin

Post by stpaul »

Patrick Daly from BSM and Joseph Labate from AHA.
pioneerhockey12

Post by pioneerhockey12 »

Mario Lucia is the best player in the state? thanks pioneer press for that completely unbiased statement. i wonder how people found out about this diamond in the rough ha
Gopher Blog

Re: PP

Post by Gopher Blog »

stpaul wrote:
LetsPlayHockey22 wrote:Are all the players listed below all state, or honerable mention?
The ones with the bios are all-state. The longer list below is honorable mention. The paper version is laid out better and has photos for all the all-state players. Interesting that Kyle Rau is the only Gopher recruit, although Mario Lucia will certainly go there if dad is still around. The Don is letting too many of these kids go to Wisconsin.
Michaelson is on that list and also committed to the Gophers.

I'd also point out to you that three Gopher recruits would have been a sure thing to make this list but played in the USHL this year are Ben Marshall, Seth Ambroz, and Travis Boyd (NTDP). Probably Adam Wilcox in goal as well as he is having a very good year in the USHL with Green Bay.
The Gumper

Post by The Gumper »

BodyShots wrote:I just cancelled my subscription. :roll: I'm done paying for the Hill Murray Pioneer Press!
Touche.

The excessive coverage of Hill-Murray hockey -- and not just the boys -- increased from something that just made you go "hmmmmm?" in the past to conspicuous and, frankly for a major metro daily newspaper, embarrassing this this year. There has to be a reason -- publisher a Hill-Murray grad or sent the kids there?