Honestly, was the AA title game as good as it gets?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Master Recruiter

Honestly, was the AA title game as good as it gets?

Post by Master Recruiter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:58 pm

regardless of who you were pulling for tonight, you have to love the drama

-2 PUBLIC schools with great community following
-2 storied programs, one representing the metro, one northern Minnesota
-great plays, great saves
-double Overtime
-Mr. Hockey gets the winner
-shots were 31-30
-scoring chances 16 a piece
-very few penalties.

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Duluth East is storied...EP is just HUGE!!!

I hope this school (EP) divides at some point or they'll win everything. I bet their JV team would beat most varsity teams.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:05 pm

sparty go to bed.
Master Recruiter fitting end to an outstanding season. You nailed it sir.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 pm

The only thing that would have been better is if it was three overtimes.
Be kind. Rewind.

east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Honestly, was the AA title game as good as it gets?

Post by east hockey » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Master Recruiter wrote:regardless of who you were pulling for tonight, you have to love the drama

-2 PUBLIC schools with great community following
-2 storied programs, one representing the metro, one northern Minnesota
-great plays, great saves
-double Overtime
-Mr. Hockey gets the winner
-shots were 31-30
-scoring chances 16 a piece
-very few penalties.
Hey, exactly right. We just more than what we hoped for here.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

and to top the night off, Randolph goes into the EP locker room after to congratulate EP, and thank all there players for staying in high school hockey.

All Class.

Love it.

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:16 pm

could have used a green and black private school, but a great final nonetheless.

Glad I left the gopher (seawolves) game to watch this instead.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:17 pm

sachishi4 wrote:could have used a green and black private school, but a great final nonetheless.

Why would u go to that game in the first place during the state finals
2012 pond hockey All Star

sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:18 pm

wblhcky24 wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:could have used a green and black private school, but a great final nonetheless.

Had gopher tix, and who would have thought they would have been swept by AA at home...
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Hats off to both teams. What an amazing game. Exciting all the way. That's what MN high school hockey is all about. The only downside is now the season is over for another 8 1/2 months.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:21 pm

sachishi4 wrote:
wblhcky24 wrote:

Had gopher tix, and who would have thought they would have been swept by AA at home...

Yeah that's terrible
2012 pond hockey All Star

HSHockeyPurist

Post by HSHockeyPurist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 pm

has to rank among the top games ever. Great speed. Great scoring chances. Great defense and goaltending. Good officiating--they stayed out of it. Clay and Lou did a great job announcing it for TV too. Two great championship games today.

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote:Hats off to both teams. What an amazing game. Exciting all the way. That's what MN high school hockey is all about. The only downside is now the season is over for another 8 1/2 months.
Yup. But at least Spring/warmer weather is on the way :wink:

Glovesreallysmell

Post by Glovesreallysmell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 pm

[quote="Master Recruiter"]and to top the night off, Randolph goes into the EP locker room after to congratulate EP, and thank all there players for staying in high school hockey.

All Class.

Love it.[/quote]
Seriously that is first class and listen to his experience STAY IN HIGH SCHOOL!!

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Master Recruiter wrote:and to top the night off, Randolph goes into the EP locker room after to congratulate EP, and thank all there players for staying in high school hockey.

All Class.

Love it.
Wow that's great. So much respect for Randolph and his program. mj76, take notes.
EP two out of three.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:56 pm

I would only change the last goal...

It could have been better...

8)
The Puck
LGW

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

I would have preferred a better goal to end it, like a breakaway or really nice one-timer. But when you get three overtime periods of great high school hockey it's kinda tough to complain

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I would have preferred a better goal to end it, like a breakaway or really nice one-timer. But when you get three overtime periods of great high school hockey it's kinda tough to complain
Agreed.

8)
The Puck
LGW

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:and to top the night off, Randolph goes into the EP locker room after to congratulate EP, and thank all there players for staying in high school hockey.

All Class.

Love it.
Wow that's great. So much respect for Randolph and his program. mj76, take notes.
I'm glad I watched to the bitter end even though I'm disappointed. That was very cool to see. I just want to know, do you think the Eden Prairie coach would've done something like that if they would have lost?

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 pm

dherman8 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:

All Class.

Love it.
I'm glad I watched to the bitter end even though I'm disappointed. That was very cool to see. I just want to know, do you think the Eden Prairie coach would've done something like that if they would have lost?
How would I know? Lee Smith is a first class guy though, and actually yeah I bet he would have said something. He's really a great person and the Eagles are lucky to have him.
EP two out of three.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:01 am

Weekend_Warrior wrote:I would have preferred a better goal to end it, like a breakaway or really nice one-timer. But when you get three overtime periods of great high school hockey it's kinda tough to complain
Yeah, it's disappointing that in ended because a defenseman missed having enough of the puck by about a centimeter to clear it out of the crease. I was really pulling for Duluth East, but in that third overtime I was hoping the time would run out so their would be more hockey and the teams could get some rest to avoid a garbage or fluke goal.

dherman8

Post by dherman8 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:03 am

HockeyMN1 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:

All Class.

Love it.
How would I know? Lee Smith is a first class guy though, and actually yeah I bet he would have said something. He's really a great person and the Eagles are lucky to have him.
Haha that was more of a question to the general public.

AlterEagle

Post by AlterEagle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 am

HockeyMN1 wrote:
dherman8 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:

All Class.

Love it.
SECOND THAT.

brandy38

Post by brandy38 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:10 am

I just wish the final goal would've been a better one. I mean, come on! Kerr fans a clearing attempt and has the puck knocked off his skate by a diving Rau, who was Kerr's you-know-what all game, among other members of East's defense.

I'm disappointed that the Eagles won (because they seem to win EVERYTHING), but they had more skill (ie. the best team won) and it wouldn't be so bad if they won due to a goal that didn't go off an opponent's skate after squeaking through the goalie's pads. Can't wait for Rau to be immortalized for a gift. :roll:

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 am

Just for the record, that wasn't a bad goal. It was an unbelievable diving play by Rau that nobody else would have or could have made. He came out of nowhere and in a way that is a fitting way for him to end his high school career. Not only does he have the talent, but he plays hard enough that he ends up in good situations. It was NOT a gift goal.
EP two out of three.