Top 75 High Schools teams of all-time

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

High Flyer wrote:
dumbpuck wrote:I am a bit late- Great convo!

I just want to chip in with Roseau cause of the small town just getting it done!
Actually you are a very smart puck for pointing out an obvious flaw in the formula being used.

You see the formula weights down the accomplishments of teams who are classified "class A" and their accomplishments are considered 2/3 less worthy than "AA" teams. But if this was true, then Roseau, who is really a class "A" school who opted up should have their "class AA accomplishments" points multiplied by 1.64.
1.64 seems a little high; how bout 1.36? That's their .36 for their enrollment being Class A plus the 1 for being a Class AA school...
east hockey wrote: Only results from MSHSL-sanctioned state tournaments are considered.
is followed up by...
east hockey wrote:

Code: Select all

The 0.36 I came up with was the result of comparing the PageStat ratings of [b]every Class A team to every Class AA team[/b] over the past eleven years. This was a huge sampling of over 83,000 comparisons and gave me a certain amount of confidence.
As I've been saying, this is a great list, I'd just like to see teams like Warroad a little bit higher. I doubt it would change the top 10-15 or so, but it would be more accurate.

Including comparisons of teams who've been no where near state doesn't make sense for purposes of this list. But hey, every ranking system has bias of some sort, we all see this one as well.

Don't worry, though, I know I'm just plain wrong. \:D/
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

HShockeywatcher you should just conduct your own ranking instead of disect this undertaking by Lee. The energy just totally detracts from the work and I think that is a bit unfair to Lee for taking time to put the work into the ranking and allow us some perpetual winter time entertainment! It is a fabulous list and well appreciated by hockey rubes like myself. Thanks Lee for putting this together.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:HShockeywatcher you should just conduct your own ranking instead of disect this undertaking by Lee. The energy just totally detracts from the work and I think that is a bit unfair to Lee for taking time to put the work into the ranking and allow us some perpetual winter time entertainment! It is a fabulous list and well appreciated by hockey rubes like myself. Thanks Lee for putting this together.
Thanks, N.O. It's been fun. HSHW doing his own rankings? Good idea. Then we can make statements like "well, it's good but here's where it's wrong" I've always wanted to argue in circular logic fashion, myself :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HShockeywatcher

northwoods oldtimer wrote:HShockeywatcher you should just conduct your own ranking instead of disect this undertaking by Lee. The energy just totally detracts from the work and I think that is a bit unfair to Lee for taking time to put the work into the ranking and allow us some perpetual winter time entertainment! It is a fabulous list and well appreciated by hockey rubes like myself. Thanks Lee for putting this together.
The past two seasons I have done rankings during the season for the Class A teams. Many times people have given me constructive criticism over the two years. I have taken it, used it for conversation, explained myself and sometimes changed my viewpoint based on what others have said.

Here, I wasn't even the first one to make comment of this, I waited until someone else had, and then I gave my constructive criticism. Instead of taking it as such for facts being posted, the response I was given is "you are wrong," not to any of the others who have disagreed, but only to me.

It continues to amuse me how negative comments taking away from the content of the topics are made about me, and when they are responded to I am suddenly "arguing." Anywho, as I've said many times, good list, great read. Sorry for posting comments for discussion, thanks for being rude to me in response and not the others with the same opinions.

Would a list by me without the bias presented here be of interest?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
The past two seasons I have done rankings during the season for the Class A teams. Many times people have given me constructive criticism over the two years. I have taken it, used it for conversation, explained myself and sometimes changed my viewpoint based on what others have said.

Here, I wasn't even the first one to make comment of this, I waited until someone else had, and then I gave my constructive criticism. Instead of taking it as such for facts being posted, the response I was given is "you are wrong," not to any of the others who have disagreed, but only to me.

It continues to amuse me how negative comments taking away from the content of the topics are made about me, and when they are responded to I am suddenly "arguing." Anywho, as I've said many times, good list, great read. Sorry for posting comments for discussion, thanks for being rude to me in response and not the others with the same opinions.

Would a list by me without the bias presented here be of interest?
Oh, you're so picked on. :roll: Please do us a favor and try your "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" ploy on a Forum where you might be understood.

And you doing a list without bias? Yeah, I'm a believer. :mrgreen:
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HShockeywatcher

east hockey wrote: Oh, you're so picked on. :roll: Please do us a favor and try your "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" ploy on a Forum where you might be understood.

And you doing a list without bias? Yeah, I'm a believer. :mrgreen:
Wow, way to put words in my mouth #-o

As I said before,
HShockeywatcher wrote:...every ranking system has bias of some sort...
so I wouldn't make a list without bias. I would make one
HShockeywatcher wrote:
...without the bias presented here...
if it were of interest. It wouldn't have the good commentary yours does, but I could work on it if the request was genuine.