NCAA Tournament Contest 2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:45 pm

The XCEL Center should be rocking epically with the WCHA teams. We saw how many Sioux fans came down for the Final Five and I expect many more for the Frozen Four. Its going to be some great hockey!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Roseauverrated wrote:As much as I hate to say it, I think North Dakota is the clear favorite to win now.
No, No, please say it's not true!!! :wink:

Now that I'm out of it, I'm pulling for UMD. But the Sioux (as a member of the WCHA) is my second choice. Come to think of it, anyone but Michigan is OK.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 am

Go BIG TEN :lol:

siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:26 am

HockeyMN1 wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:#7 Denver - 1
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

I don't think there's any doubt who the best team in the country is after this thrashing. Gregoire makes that much of a difference. UND's "4th" line got Rowney and Rodwell back this weekend and it paid off. Dell has never looked better. Michigan is very good, but UND has offense, defense, goaltending, coaching and special teams.

I like UNH in Manchester tonight. I'd take UNH regardless.
This is the year for the Wolverines. The Souix better watch out. Not a better coached team in the country with Red at the helm and they just play really really well as a team and you know they'll be ready to go. Winners of 10 out of 11, don't count big blue out.
And the Sioux haven't lost since January 28th. I think it's Michigan that needs to watch out. The Sioux are better offensively, defensively, and in goal. Michigan is good defensively, but their offense leaves much to be desired. I saw them lose to the Gophers. Not impressed. Nobody counts out Michigan, but it's going to take a superb effort from their entire team to take down the Sioux, a team that's been on a mission and will have a decidedly pro-Sioux home crowd advantage at the X.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

Michigan appears to have superior team speed, and I think will "swarm" and pressure the Sioux for large chunks of the game. But from what I've seen North Dakota takes better control of the puck and gives up fewer turnovers. If they continue to get solid goaltending and can take advantage of the Wolverines' mistakes they will win this game, despite being outshot.

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:38 pm

siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

I don't think there's any doubt who the best team in the country is after this thrashing. Gregoire makes that much of a difference. UND's "4th" line got Rowney and Rodwell back this weekend and it paid off. Dell has never looked better. Michigan is very good, but UND has offense, defense, goaltending, coaching and special teams.

This is the year for the Wolverines. The Souix better watch out. Not a better coached team in the country with Red at the helm and they just play really really well as a team and you know they'll be ready to go. Winners of 10 out of 11, don't count big blue out.
And the Sioux haven't lost since January 28th. I think it's Michigan that needs to watch out. The Sioux are better offensively, defensively, and in goal. Michigan is good defensively, but their offense leaves much to be desired. I saw them lose to the Gophers. Not impressed. Nobody counts out Michigan, but it's going to take a superb effort from their entire team to take down the Sioux, a team that's been on a mission and will have a decidedly pro-Sioux home crowd advantage at the X.
:roll: That's like saying I saw EP lose to Eagan in December, not impressed :roll: :roll:

Michigan will surprise a lot of people. They are very quick and have an incredibly hot goalie, I would definitely not give ND an advantage there. Never count out Red Berenson, the guy's been to 11 Frozen Fours and won 2 NC's. These are the two best teams in St. Paul.
EP two out of three.

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:45 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

:roll: That's like saying I saw EP lose to Eagan in December, not impressed :roll: :roll:

Michigan will surprise a lot of people. They are very quick and have an incredibly hot goalie, I would definitely not give ND an advantage there. Never count out Red Berenson, the guy's been to 11 Frozen Fours and won 2 NC's. These are the two best teams in St. Paul.
I think you said it perfect with what you said about Michigan. I do think No Dak is the clear cut favorite to win it all though, their just too good.

defense

Post by defense » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

Michigan will surprise a lot of people. They are very quick and have an incredibly hot goalie, I would definitely not give ND an advantage there. Never count out Red Berenson, the guy's been to 11 Frozen Fours and won 2 NC's. These are the two best teams in St. Paul.[/quote

All real great....except that...and I generally hate the Sioux(are we still allowed to call them that???) ...but anyway, obviously UND is the best team in college hockey right now. Now this is a one and done situation, but the Sioux just put six goals on each of their regional opponents. Anyone read the papers today??? Sioux are so focused that they didn't even want the final five champs hats OR teh regional champs hats.....
look out Wolverine nation... the Sioux are likely going to win their 8th championship. Say what you want, it is what it is..

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm

defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

Michigan will surprise a lot of people. They are very quick and have an incredibly hot goalie, I would definitely not give ND an advantage there. Never count out Red Berenson, the guy's been to 11 Frozen Fours and won 2 NC's. These are the two best teams in St. Paul.[/quote

All real great....except that...and I generally hate the Sioux(are we still allowed to call them that???) ...but anyway, obviously UND is the best team in college hockey right now. Now this is a one and done situation, but the Sioux just put six goals on each of their regional opponents. Anyone read the papers today??? Sioux are so focused that they didn't even want the final five champs hats OR teh regional champs hats.....
look out Wolverine nation... the Sioux are likely going to win their 8th championship. Say what you want, it is what it is..
Actually the ND legislature stepped in and blocked the name change...North Dakota for you. So they stay the Souix I guess. I'm not gonna argue that Michigan should be favored in this game, they probably won't win but they have a solid shot. Red doesn't just not show up for games like this. We will be in it all the way through. Don't pencil in ND yet. Btw Go Blue Nation already has 9 National Champs so the Souix aren't gonna be catching up this year.
EP two out of three.

defense

Post by defense » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

Actually the ND legislature stepped in and blocked the name change...North Dakota for you. So they stay the Souix I guess. I'm not gonna argue that Michigan should be favored in this game, they probably won't win but they have a solid shot. Red doesn't just not show up for games like this. We will be in it all the way through. Don't pencil in ND yet. Btw Go Blue Nation already has 9 National Champs so the Souix aren't gonna be catching up this year.
I'm sure teh coach of "blue nation" will do his best....unfortunately he cannot score any goals....or stop any.

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 pm

defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

I'm sure teh coach of "blue nation" will do his best....unfortunately he cannot score any goals....or stop any.
They're not gonna have a problem stopping any, or getting to the net. The key for Michigan will be finishing, key for ND will be Defensive play. Michigan gets overlooked by you WCHA people out here in MN but they play good, fast hockey. Be prepared for a good game.
EP two out of three.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 am

When UND is 100% healthy they're almost unbeatable. There was a point in the season when they were without Genoway, Kristo, Gregoire, MacWilliam and Forbort. And they still won games. They're just too deep. They have an all-american backup goalie for crying out loud. A future 1st/2nd rounder who sits because he's the 7th best defenseman. How would you like to have 2 first round picks on your third line? 3 defenseman who're over 6'5" and can skate? A goalie who leads the nation is GAA, wins and SHO? I simply don't see Michigan, or anyone else for that matter, beating the Sioux. If I'm wrong, you can say I told you so.
2001 & 2006 State Participant

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:59 pm

bump

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm

#3 Notre Dame - 3
#3 Minnesota-Duluth - 4

FINAL

#2 Michigan - 1
#1 North Dakota - 0

End 1st

The Sioux didn't have their best period, but still look a little better. Brock Nelson is done for the night with a lower body injury. Hunwick came up big in the first. The 2nd should be interesting.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 pm

#2 Michigan - 2 (ENG)
#1 North Dakota - 0

FINAL

Wow. Michigan was badly outplayed, but pulled it off. Amazing. UND had no scoring touch tonight.

A Michigan/Duluth final is now on deck. Go Duluth.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:47 am

YEp, Michigan executed a perfect upset. They had the Sioux beat.. then they finished 'em off. My bracket is done now. Kinda neat to watch that when it can happen, even if you wanted the other team to win.
Go Bulldogs.

Puck Whisperer

Post by Puck Whisperer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:46 am

MNHockey75 wrote:When UND is 100% healthy they're almost unbeatable. There was a point in the season when they were without Genoway, Kristo, Gregoire, MacWilliam and Forbort. And they still won games. They're just too deep. They have an all-american backup goalie for crying out loud. A future 1st/2nd rounder who sits because he's the 7th best defenseman. How would you like to have 2 first round picks on your third line? 3 defenseman who're over 6'5" and can skate? A goalie who leads the nation is GAA, wins and SHO? I simply don't see Michigan, or anyone else for that matter, beating the Sioux. If I'm wrong, you can say I told you so.
I don't disagree with a thing you said BUT.....Any team - Any time! :wink:

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm

MNHockey75 wrote:When UND is 100% healthy they're almost unbeatable. There was a point in the season when they were without Genoway, Kristo, Gregoire, MacWilliam and Forbort. And they still won games. They're just too deep. They have an all-american backup goalie for crying out loud. A future 1st/2nd rounder who sits because he's the 7th best defenseman. How would you like to have 2 first round picks on your third line? 3 defenseman who're over 6'5" and can skate? A goalie who leads the nation is GAA, wins and SHO? I simply don't see Michigan, or anyone else for that matter, beating the Sioux. If I'm wrong, you can say I told you so.
Should I even say it...yes...I told you so.
EP two out of three.

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:18 pm

defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
siouxforce19 wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
#2 UND - 6

FINAL

Ouch...looking kinda dumb right now aren't you. GOOOO BLUE!!!
EP two out of three.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Nope, not at all. Michigan just pulled an amazing upset. A treat to watch. No I did not think Michigan would win. I didn't really want them to either. I actually figured that UND would win by 2 maybe up to 4 goals. It was a treat to watch because I am not a Sioux fan. Never have been. Neither have I been a Michigan fan. BUt what we saw was a great game. I doubt Michigan would win 4 of 7, 3 of 5, or even 2 of 3....all they had to do is win one....and that they did. They set UND up, got 'em beaten down, and were able to finish them off. It is rare to witness these types of games. It is a very tough thing to do....but Michigan pulled it off.
Dumb??? Not really. UND clearly outplayed Michigan. Problem is, Michigan BEAT UND. Now if Michigan was the best team on the ice...that'd be different. I am looking for a great championship.

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:52 pm

defense wrote:Nope, not at all. Michigan just pulled an amazing upset. A treat to watch. No I did not think Michigan would win. I didn't really want them to either. I actually figured that UND would win by 2 maybe up to 4 goals. It was a treat to watch because I am not a Sioux fan. Never have been. Neither have I been a Michigan fan. BUt what we saw was a great game. I doubt Michigan would win 4 of 7, 3 of 5, or even 2 of 3....all they had to do is win one....and that they did. They set UND up, got 'em beaten down, and were able to finish them off. It is rare to witness these types of games. It is a very tough thing to do....but Michigan pulled it off.
Dumb??? Not really. UND clearly outplayed Michigan. Problem is, Michigan BEAT UND. Now if Michigan was the best team on the ice...that'd be different. I am looking for a great championship.
The reason Michigan won was coaching and goaltending. The two things you essentially insulted in your post. Red had a brilliant strategy to get a lot of whistles as to not let UND's talented forwards get rolling and obviously Hunwick was phenomenal. With Michigan playing like that defensively not many people will beat them.
EP two out of three.

defense

Post by defense » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
defense wrote:Nope, not at all. Michigan just pulled an amazing upset. A treat to watch. No I did not think Michigan would win. I didn't really want them to either. I actually figured that UND would win by 2 maybe up to 4 goals. It was a treat to watch because I am not a Sioux fan. Never have been. Neither have I been a Michigan fan. BUt what we saw was a great game. I doubt Michigan would win 4 of 7, 3 of 5, or even 2 of 3....all they had to do is win one....and that they did. They set UND up, got 'em beaten down, and were able to finish them off. It is rare to witness these types of games. It is a very tough thing to do....but Michigan pulled it off.
The reason Michigan won was coaching and goaltending. The two things you essentially insulted in your post. Red had a brilliant strategy to get a lot of whistles as to not let UND's talented forwards get rolling and obviously Hunwick was phenomenal. With Michigan playing like that defensively not many people will beat them.
:roll: :roll: Essentially BS man. I took the high road twice, and actually believe what I wrote in any post on the game or Michigan's chances. Whatever makes you feel better....Now I would suggest getting back on topic before this thread is ruined...

HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:30 pm

defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
:roll: :roll: Essentially BS man. I took the high road twice, and actually believe what I wrote in any post on the game or Michigan's chances. Whatever makes you feel better....Now I would suggest getting back on topic before this thread is ruined...
And I'm writing what I believe too. Obviously it worked, check out the final score. The two things Michigan did better than ND were coach and goaltend. It worked.
EP two out of three.

MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:12 pm

HockeyMN1 wrote:
defense wrote:
HockeyMN1 wrote:
And I'm writing what I believe too. Obviously it worked, check out the final score. The two things Michigan did better than ND were coach and goaltend. It worked.
I believe Hakstal is a very good coach, but him and his staff were simply outcoached. They made adjustments in the 2nd but it just didn't amount to anything. But as far as the goaltending goes, yes Hunwick stood tall, but Dell played well again. He allowed 1 goal on 19 shots and kept UND within striking distance. He showed why he led the nation in GAA. But yes, technically he was outplayed. It was a fantastic game (also a very frustrating one because I'm a Sioux fan), I was wrong and I admit it. :cry:

It will be a bit of a rebuilding season for UND but I believe they will be fine, much like Denver was this season. They will have a fantastic D-corp still with Blood, MacWilliam, Forbort, Simpson, Gleason and imcoming freshman Nick Mattson. They may struggle to score goals, but they will have Dell and possibly Eidsness back. If Gregoire leaves (which could very easily happen) that will be a huge bummer. On another note, Brock Nelson is out 6-8 weeks with a broken tailbone, which is bad news because he has a big off season ahead of him (needs to get stronger). I look for Knight, Kristo and Gregoire to lead the team in scoring. They are expecting a top-notch class of forwards that includes Grimaldi, Parks and St. Clair among others.

As for the championship matchup...It will be interesting. If the Dawgs don't get at least 1 PPG they could be in trouble. Reiter must be on his A game or it could be bad news bears for UMD. Hunwick probably won't make 40 stops again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him stand tall again. He has very good mechanics and is quick. That being said, he has weaknesses just like anyone. When in tight UMD HAS TO shot high blocker, because it's there. *cough* Genoway, LaPoint, Gregoire, Frattin *cough*

Prediction:
Minnesota-Duluth - 3
Michigan - 2 (2OT)

I actually EXPECT this game to go to multiple OT's, yes I said it. I expect UMD to carry the play a bit, but only a bit. UMD will pop one in early on Hunwick to gain some confidence. Michigan can't get defensive like they did against UND and expect to score more than 1-2 goals. They will have to counter attack and take more chances in order to beat UMD and their 5-6 PP's. Frattin's line was a good one, but they simply aren't as good as the J. Connelly-M. Connelly-Fontaine line. Look for them to get 1-2 goals. I think it will come down to Reiter. I have a feeling he will make a few big saves to fire the Dawgs up. I'm calling a 2OT game winner by Travis Oleksuk.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm

MNHockey75 wrote:Prediction:
Minnesota-Duluth - 3
Michigan - 2 (2OT)
Soo close.

UMD wins 3-2 in 1OT

8)
The Puck
LGW