Housley to Penn State?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

in the zone

Housley to Penn State?

Post by in the zone »

Stillwater's Phil Housley is being mentioned as a possible head coaching candidate for the new Penn State hockey program. Apparently he is a favorite of the guy who donated the money to start the program and who just bought the Buffalo Sabres, the team Housley spent many years with as a player.
HockeyMN1

Post by HockeyMN1 »

He can't get Stillwater to do anything...what would make them think he could succeed in college hockey?
EP two out of three.
in the zone

Post by in the zone »

another issue might be that he does not have a college degree, which seems to be a basic requirement for most head coaching jobs...but who knows...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Two reasons I hope he gets the job:

1. Would likely mean a new color guy doing the Class A State Tournament.
2. I'm a Gopher fan.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Two reasons I hope he gets the job:

1. Would likely mean a new color guy doing the Class A State Tournament.
2. I'm a Gopher fan.
:lol:
2001 & 2006 State Participant
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

I heard Scott Sandelins name mentioned, I believe his wife is a PSU alum
breakout

Post by breakout »

Why would he leave? He lives in a beautiful home on the St. Croix River. His roots are here. His family is here. Likely doesn't need the money.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

in the zone wrote:another issue might be that he does not have a college degree, which seems to be a basic requirement for most head coaching jobs...but who knows...
I highly doubt in college that matters.
Go Hounds.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

I'd put a hell of a lot more money down on Sandelin for Penn State than most other names. He's not going to get paid a lot at UMD compared to elsewhere (it doesn't help matters that he can't get paid more than the women's hockey coach at UMD) and he does have ties to PA. I won't be surprised at all if he takes that job.
JSR

Post by JSR »

Wisconsin Women's coach Mark Johnson is said to be the front runner for the job should he decide he wants the job
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

JSR wrote:Wisconsin Women's coach Mark Johnson is said to be the front runner for the job should he decide he wants the job
Turned it down.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

I dont see how Housley is is any way qualified to coach a college hockey team? He was a great player, yes, but what has to done for someone to go "hey, I want him as our coach!"
Go Hounds.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

mulefarm wrote:
JSR wrote:Wisconsin Women's coach Mark Johnson is said to be the front runner for the job should he decide he wants the job
Turned it down.
How do we know this?
JSR

Post by JSR »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
mulefarm wrote:
Turned it down.
How do we know this?
mulefarm, last I had heard UW gave PSU permission to speak with Johnson and that PSU thought he was the ideal hire. To my knowledge Johnson has not really spoken on the subject since then as he was busy winning another women's title for UW. Now that the dust has settled supposedly PSU is beginning the official interview process and is being very tight lipped on who is being given official interviews. I had not heard Johnson or PSU comment one way or another as far as indication that he would accept or decline. If you have a link or a source I'd love to see it. I've seen alot of message board speculation on other sites etc.. but nothing official coming from anyone. So I am with MNhockeyfan, how do we know this?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

EHSHack wrote:
in the zone wrote:another issue might be that he does not have a college degree, which seems to be a basic requirement for most head coaching jobs...but who knows...
At Most colleges it is a minimum requirement even for coaches.
stmartin123

Post by stmartin123 »

Puckguy19 wrote:
EHSHack wrote:
At Most colleges it is a minimum requirement even for coaches.
I am pretty sure college coaches have to have graduated from college. I know mike tice (coach for the vikes) wanted to coach college football but he couldnt because he didnt graduate. (left school early for the pros) Im not sure if the rules are the same for each sport but I am sure the rules are very similar.
Don't hate STA. I wouldn't want to lose either.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

JSR wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
mulefarm wrote: Turned it down.
How do we know this?
mulefarm, last I had heard UW gave PSU permission to speak with Johnson and that PSU thought he was the ideal hire. To my knowledge Johnson has not really spoken on the subject since then as he was busy winning another women's title for UW. Now that the dust has settled supposedly PSU is beginning the official interview process and is being very tight lipped on who is being given official interviews. I had not heard Johnson or PSU comment one way or another as far as indication that he would accept or decline. If you have a link or a source I'd love to see it. I've seen alot of message board speculation on other sites etc.. but nothing official coming from anyone. So I am with MNhockeyfan, how do we know this?
I remember hearing the same as Mulefarm. I just don't recall the source.
JSR

Post by JSR »

BodyShots wrote:
JSR wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: How do we know this?
I remember hearing the same as Mulefarm. I just don't recall the source.
I found a few sources, a couple right in Madison, that wrote stories as to why he should not accept the offer, or why they thought he would not but I can't find any that say that he in fact actually declined himself.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

JSR wrote:I found a few sources, a couple right in Madison, that wrote stories as to why he should not accept the offer, or why they thought he would not but I can't find any that say that he in fact actually declined himself.
And I've seen nothing that verifies he's had a formal interview.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

stmartin123 wrote:I am pretty sure college coaches have to have graduated from college. I know mike tice (coach for the vikes) wanted to coach college football but he couldnt because he didnt graduate. (left school early for the pros) Im not sure if the rules are the same for each sport but I am sure the rules are very similar.
Just like almost all good paying non-hockey jobs. Finish your education, kids!
in the zone

Post by in the zone »

oh, oh...Penn State has contacted Sandelin about their opening and he will likely interview for the job in the next week or so..so much for Housley
Defense Rules

Post by Defense Rules »

in the zone wrote:oh, oh...Penn State has contacted Sandelin about their opening and he will likely interview for the job in the next week or so..so much for Housley
Indeed, seems this should bump to "Sandelin to Penn State" thread, since that's the real visible and serious candidate for now. Got to hand it to him in giving the UMD AD another chance to talk extension on Tuesday. I'd say he has some serious leverage in his hands, however if UMD wants him bad enough they can show him the money. If they do not, it's on them. That's taking the high road and handling this with some respect.

This link shows some of the other "rumored" candidates (impressive group). Leaman from Union could be a real sleeper in this chase, he's done a fabulous job competing with ZERO scholarships, and a small liberal arts school to recruit from.

http://rinkandrun.areavoices.com/2011/0 ... state-job/

Let's face it....Penn State is going to present an attractive program right out of the gate. Terrific school with deep and well backed college athletics. If Sandelin goes, next question is how many recruits go with him?

PAY THE MAN!
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Defense Rules wrote:
in the zone wrote:oh, oh...Penn State has contacted Sandelin about their opening and he will likely interview for the job in the next week or so..so much for Housley
Indeed, seems this should bump to "Sandelin to Penn State" thread, since that's the real visible and serious candidate for now. Got to hand it to him in giving the UMD AD another chance to talk extension on Tuesday. I'd say he has some serious leverage in his hands, however if UMD wants him bad enough they can show him the money. If they do not, it's on them. That's taking the high road and handling this with some respect.

This link shows some of the other "rumored" candidates (impressive group). Leaman from Union could be a real sleeper in this chase, he's done a fabulous job competing with ZERO scholarships, and a small liberal arts school to recruit from.

Let's face it....Penn State is going to present an attractive program right out of the gate. Terrific school with deep and well backed college athletics. If Sandelin goes, next question is how many recruits go with him?

PAY THE MAN!

Not many.
Go Hounds.
JSR

Post by JSR »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
JSR wrote:I found a few sources, a couple right in Madison, that wrote stories as to why he should not accept the offer, or why they thought he would not but I can't find any that say that he in fact actually declined himself.
And I've seen nothing that verifies he's had a formal interview.
Never said that he has yet. However, this article here does seem to indicate he is still a potential option:

It insinuates to me that he has not declined anything yet, nor accepted anything either.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

If you believe this guy it looks like Johnson might be one of about 50 potential candidates for the job:

"All I do know right now is that Penn State had about 50 quality applicants to choose from, and whittled that down to about 10 semifinalists. Next will be interviews from among those 10 — but not necessarily all — and those have already started."

Note the title of the article, "Speculating on Penn State". I doubt we'll hear much more until they make an announcement on who was selected.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... _state.php