Warroad Coach Resigns

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

paulsonj72

Warroad Coach Resigns

Post by paulsonj72 »

Warroad hockey coach Albert Hasbargen has resigned.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... _id=148514
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Good timing, as Warroad is on the decline.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Reggie wrote:Good timing, as Warroad is on the decline.
It only takes one good recruiting class to be back on top!
rainier

Post by rainier »

Great timing, as it appears East Grand Forks is on the cusp of a huge run. I'm seeing multiple players of theirs on almost every all star roster. Are they becoming Hermantown of the west?
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

Both Warroad coaches have now resigned, guess they could see the writing on the wall, no talent coming up and recruiting focused on the girls program.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... up/Sports/
observer

Post by observer »

It's almost entirely big associations feeding high schools. There are metro associations with 12 PeeWee teams. How Roseau and Warroad have hung around this long is amazing as in some instances they only have 2-3 teams per level. There are some metro models as Apple Valley is actually a very small association but they have done a real nice job, like Roseau, with the top level kids but then there's a drop to their next tier of players. But it's hard without the sheer numbers of players that the large associations have.

Duluth, Grand Rapids, Morehead maybe St. Cloud and now EGF have a future but the smaller associations and high schools are toast. Southern Minnesota is the same with Rochester having numbers but that's it.

Recruiting lots of 5 and 6 year olds, both boys and girls, is the only way to grow your association. 12 year olds don't fall from trees and even if you could find a few late starters it's very difficult for them to catch up to the ones that started when they were 5.
25 sheet power

Post by 25 sheet power »

Warroad will be better next year then the last. Not sure why after every season everyone says they are now done for?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

25 sheet power wrote:Warroad will be better next year then the last. Not sure why after every season everyone says they are now done for?
Will the girls' staff just transition to the boys' team? 8)
defense

Post by defense »

observer wrote:It's almost entirely big associations feeding high schools. There are metro associations with 12 PeeWee teams. How Roseau and Warroad have hung around this long is amazing as in some instances they only have 2-3 teams per level. There are some metro models as Apple Valley is actually a very small association but they have done a real nice job, like Roseau, with the top level kids but then there's a drop to their next tier of players. But it's hard without the sheer numbers of players that the large associations have.

Duluth, Grand Rapids, Morehead maybe St. Cloud and now EGF have a future but the smaller associations and high schools are toast. Southern Minnesota is the same with Rochester having numbers but that's it.

Recruiting lots of 5 and 6 year olds, both boys and girls, is the only way to grow your association. 12 year olds don't fall from trees and even if you could find a few late starters it's very difficult for them to catch up to the ones that started when they were 5.
I'd be surprised if Roseau or Warroad ever has 3 teams at any traveling level. I wouldn't so quick to clump EGF with Moorhead, Duluth, or St. Cloud as far as size. Warroad will be fine. Roseau will continue successfully into to the ever after. Not from numbers or recruitin, but because of the culture. EGF does appear to be on the way to a nice run, so is Roseau. Thing is, I would've figured that EGF would start it this last year....nope...Thief comes in.
What are the numbers at Apple Valley??? Say number of squirts and Peewees????
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

rainier wrote:Great timing, as it appears East Grand Forks is on the cusp of a huge run. I'm seeing multiple players of theirs on almost every all star roster. Are they becoming Hermantown of the west?
What has EGF done to be grouped in with Hermantown? Let's be serious. They've been in the section final once since 2002, and they've been a #2 seed once in that span. Gage Ausmus is now with USNTDP to boot.
2001 & 2006 State Participant
The Other Bash Brother

Post by The Other Bash Brother »

MNHockey75 wrote:
rainier wrote:Great timing, as it appears East Grand Forks is on the cusp of a huge run. I'm seeing multiple players of theirs on almost every all star roster. Are they becoming Hermantown of the west?
What has EGF done to be grouped in with Hermantown? Let's be serious. They've been in the section final once since 2002, and they've been a #2 seed once in that span. Gage Ausmus is now with USNTDP to boot.
I believe they are referring to the solid youth teams coming up soon.

Nice to see you have the intelligence to figure that out.
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

Puckguy19 wrote:
25 sheet power wrote:Warroad will be better next year then the last. Not sure why after every season everyone says they are now done for?
Will the girls' staff just transition to the boys' team? 8)
I don't see it as long as he has a daughter still playing on the team, at least two more years, then his son will be getting close to HS. The recruiting has already begun, new bantam goalie from Duluth this past year.
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

The Other Bash Brother wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote:

Well pretty sure Warroad has finished middle to the bottom of the pack the past few years in Bantams yet have still been to state every year except the past one. The "great" youth teams don't automatically transpire to high school success.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

MNHockey75 wrote:

Solid youth programs doesn't neccessarily correlate to success at the next level. He said they may be becoming the Hermantown of the west. Let's wait and see before we crown them. I happen to think Chupka is an underrated coach, so they're in good hands.

Next year will be interesting. It looks like a lot of people are counting Warroad out, which isn't smart. TRF loses a lot, so EGF is probably the favorite, but I said the same thing this season.
The Other Bash Brother

MNHockey75 wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote: What has EGF done to be grouped in with Hermantown? Let's be serious. They've been in the section final once since 2002, and they've been a #2 seed once in that span. Gage Ausmus is now with USNTDP to boot.

Solid youth programs doesn't neccessarily correlate to success at the next level. He said they may be becoming the Hermantown of the west. Let's wait and see before we crown them. I happen to think Chupka is an underrated coach, so they're in good hands.

Next year will be interesting. It looks like a lot of people are counting Warroad out, which isn't smart. TRF loses a lot, so EGF is probably the favorite, but I said the same thing this season.
He said cusp and becoming, both of which suggest future success,
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

MNHockey75 wrote:
The Other Bash Brother wrote: I believe they are referring to the solid youth teams coming up soon.

Thanks for putting 1 and 1 together for us...
The Other Bash Brother

mn miracle man wrote:
MNHockey75 wrote: Solid youth programs doesn't neccessarily correlate to success at the next level. He said they may be becoming the Hermantown of the west. Let's wait and see before we crown them. I happen to think Chupka is an underrated coach, so they're in good hands.

Well MN Hockey 75 seems to struggle with the concept
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

mn miracle man wrote:
The Other Bash Brother wrote: He said cusp and becoming, both of which suggest future success,
I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic. Regardless, EGF being on the cusp of a huge run is merely speculation at this point. That's all I'm saying. Anyone can say (insert school here) is going to become the next Hermantown. I remember a Pee-Wee A state tournament that had Austin, Como Park, Kennedy, Brainerd, Duluth East, Jefferson, Moorhead and Thief River Falls. Only one of those programs made it to state their senior season. It's not easy. Most kids blossom when they're 15/16 years old.

I honestly believe EGF will be the team to beat (in 8A) for a few years, but I'm not quite buying a "huge run" at this point. And I'm certainly not buying the "Hermantown of the west." Best of luck to the Wave, it's been a tough run as of late.
defense

Post by defense »

What is "Hermantown of the west" supposed to mean anyway???
Actually I would consider Hermantown to possibly be chasing Warroad....
But I wouldn't be so forward as to say Warroad of the East.......

I think East Grand Forks is East Grand Forks....they don't need to be likened to Hermantown.
The Other Bash Brother

MNHockey75 wrote:
mn miracle man wrote: Thanks for putting 1 and 1 together for us...
I'm fairly certain he was being sarcastic. Regardless, EGF being on the cusp of a huge run is merely speculation at this point. That's all I'm saying. Anyone can say (insert school here) is going to become the next Hermantown. I remember a Pee-Wee A state tournament that had Austin, Como Park, Kennedy, Brainerd, Duluth East, Jefferson, Moorhead and Thief River Falls. Only one of those programs made it to state their senior season. It's not easy. Most kids blossom when they're 15/16 years old.

I honestly believe EGF will be the team to beat (in 8A) for a few years, but I'm not quite buying a "huge run" at this point. And I'm certainly not buying the "Hermantown of the west." Best of luck to the Wave, it's been a tough run as of late.
You from PR?
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

defense wrote:What is "Hermantown of the west" supposed to mean anyway???
Actually I would consider Hermantown to possibly be chasing Warroad....
But I wouldn't be so forward as to say Warroad of the East.......

I think East Grand Forks is East Grand Forks....they don't need to be likened to Hermantown.
The Green Wave are who we thought they were! That's why we took the damn ice. Now if you want to crown them, then crown their axx! But they are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!
Air Force 1

Post by Air Force 1 »

BBB wrote:See above posts about the factors relating to producing state champions...thats what we're talking about here.
I thought we were talking about the Warroad coaches resigning? Warroad has not been mentioned now since 2/3s the way down the first page of this thread.

Karl, maybe you should rename the thread Affluence Affects Hockey Success.

I'm more interested in who Warroad may get to guide the trainwreck that their HS boys hockey team will be for the foreseeable future.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Sounds like they should hire Donald Trump.
The Other Bash Brother

Air Force 1 wrote:
BBB wrote:See above posts about the factors relating to producing state champions...thats what we're talking about here.
I thought we were talking about the Warroad coaches resigning? Warroad has not been mentioned now since 2/3s the way down the first page of this thread.

I'm more interested in who Warroad may get to guide the trainwreck that their HS boys hockey team will be for the foreseeable future.
Obama should be available
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Air Force 1 wrote:

Sounds like a good idea...here's the link to the newly created thread on affluence. http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Let's stick to Warroad on this one.