Lakeville North Head Coach

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

huntergatherer

Post by huntergatherer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Ryan Kraft is a former Moorhead standout and former 4 year gopher, he has jumped around alot in his professional career and just returned from germany where he has been playing. I don't think he has coached anywhere before, why is he getting the nod? I don't know! Maybe his youth and energy has something to do with it, he's only 35, and can probably connect alot better with the youth program and parents than schmitz or rutt ever did. Good decision? Time will tell! Now if South could maybe do the same thing!

Stamkos91

Post by Stamkos91 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Tigers33:

I'm sure the process probably started back in May or June, it's not like it all just happens over night.

nahc:

If the coaches were respected so much then why would the players have their own meeting to figure out what needs to be changed, and why would any parents have any desire to get rid of any of the coaches?

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

If the AD and Principal were going to make a change, why would they wait until late August. I'm sure the parents who wanted Schmitz out got started way before May or June. Randy should have been told his contract will not be renewed in the spring, that would have been the professional thing to do. I would hope the AD and Principal had valid reasons they presented to Randy when he was let go. Also, if there were areas the AD wanted him to improve, he communicated with him, and gave him a chance for improvement. If he would have been let go in the Spring the school could have possibly hired a coach who also was a teacher in the school, pretty late now. I would have to question the leadership of both the AD and the Pricipal in this case. Do either have a coaching or athletic background? To say the players only meeting was about the coaches is BS, teams have players only meetings at all levels and is nothing new. The day of longivity in HS coaching is coming to an end. Many young coaches have jobs out of education and in most cases, can't make the time commintment that it takes. Good for a couple of years and then gone.

blamenoone

Post by blamenoone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Nahc
I don't know if PARENTS were involved or not. What I would suspect is it took a whole lot more than PARENTS. As mentioned this is an old situation, that people have been hearing about for a very longtime. As far as playing time for the most part it seemed they used there whole team fairly equal. Just at times there were some non-objective choices made. I don't believe their were any Sydney Krosby's on the team, or at least from what I have seen. Remember appearances can be deceiving. You sound pretty rational so I will post no more comments to you. Not picking a verbal fight, just like you I have an opinion.

blamenoone

Post by blamenoone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:52 pm

mulefarm are you one of the coaches? or just an advocate?

Benito Juarez

Post by Benito Juarez » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:18 pm

blamenoone wrote:Nahc
I don't believe their were any Sydney Krosby's on the team, or at least from what I have seen.
Krosby?

Never heard of him, was he good?

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Blamenoone - You get pretty defensive on here questioning if everyone is one of the coaches. I think I have been accused of being the coach and now mulefarm. Even though I couldnt tell you where the Lakeville rink is even located. I think you are a lot closer to this than you are making it seem.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 am

Blame-not a coach, just get tired of guys like you who make general statements and can't back them up. What is your real gripe with Schmitz, did he cut you, not play you enough or if you are not a former player did he cut your son or make a decision that another player is better. Like I stated, this was handled poorly, and hopefully the AD had valid reasons for his decision.

blamenoone

Post by blamenoone » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 am

Tigers33 & mulefarm.....Since you guys have all the answers to everything, guess i'll just leave this forum to you guys!! have fun.

Stamkos91

Post by Stamkos91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 am

mulefarm:

Why are you so hung up on the situation being handled poorly? What do you consider poorly? For all we know the parents could have had zero impact on the decision to get rid of Schmitz. I do agree with you that the AD should have started the process earlier but what do you mean by "they could have told schmitz what he needs to work on". He's had about 30 years of coaching expierence to figure out what he can work.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:29 am

Stamkos91 wrote:mulefarm:

Why are you so hung up on the situation being handled poorly? What do you consider poorly? For all we know the parents could have had zero impact on the decision to get rid of Schmitz. I do agree with you that the AD should have started the process earlier but what do you mean by "they could have told schmitz what he needs to work on". He's had about 30 years of coaching expierence to figure out what he can work.
In your job do they have reviews or evaluations? If your boss wants you to change or improve on something, wouldn't you want to know? Even if you worked there for about 30 years, or would you just want him to fire you without a chance to change or improve?

observer

Post by observer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:24 pm

That might be 30 reviews.

Stamkos91

Post by Stamkos91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Yes, i would want to know what i need to work on. But, i'm pretty sure most AD's don't know to much about hockey, unless of course they had played in the past. The AD probably doesn't even know what the coach can improve on, he just thinks it's time for a change.

blamenoone

Post by blamenoone » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 am

Stamkos91
"Time for a Change" Amen to that!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Mulefarm and tigers33 LN coaches? Are u kidding me? I knew it all along! No, mulefarm had '2 kids play in the ushl'. Interesting.

No conspiracy here boys. Schmitz has been INCOMPETENT since he took the helm. He didn't deserve to be the coach. No bias here. Just the truth. It happens at a lot of schools, typically they don't let a guy stick around for 25+yrs though.

Funny how no one is arguing that schmitz is a good coach who deserved to stay.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Sats - You know nothing! You think I am a Lakeville North coach; read my posts on here. I am as far from being a Lakeville North coach as you possibly can be. I dont even know where the rink is, nor do I care. I dont even know where the high school is, nor do I care. I dont even know the mascot or school colors of Lakeville North, nor do I care.

I just think its pathetic that people like you are glad a guy got fired that was the coach of a state tournament team the last two years. No matter the strength of the section, their overall record, or whether he was a good coach. Somehow he got his team to the state tournament two years in a row. And you are happy he got fired.

I used to coach my kid at the peewee level, and hockey is beginning to disgust me. I know all sports are bad, but hockey is by far the worse. Do you know there was a post on here about the top 10 squirt A teams? I mean are you serious, who cares! I cant believe people out there really care to know the top 10 squirt A teams.

From the sound of people on here and the people I have talked to, the coach is a decent man. Parents just think their kids are better than maybe they are and they wanted someone different. Thats what I have heard...truth or not, I dont know. However, I can tell you I am not a coach from Lakeville North.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Tigger-slow down here boss! We all know u have been to the games and know intimate details about the program! Not sure anyone is 'excited' he got fired, just clear it was time for a change.

As far as getting to the tourney it would be a big deal if they made it last 2 yrs when your beating teams like ep, wayzata, minnetonka, bsm, etc as opposed to farmington, faribault, winona, rochester jm, dodge county, etc. BIG difference there pal. There are bantam a teams that could give section 1 winners a run for their $, and that's a fact. Don't come back to me with the bs of how 'they can't help what section they are in, bla bla bla'. With the exception of this past year (and the consolation title isn't exactly what a team shoots for) section 1 teams have been the laughingstock of the tourney for the last 20 yrs since burnsville was in their glory yrs..schmitz deserves zero credit for them 'making' the tourney especially when they were 2 and done in 2010 and rode the back of their goalie and a few lucky breaks this past year.

Don't think its about a bunch of crazy parents who don't like him, its just the lack of development that occurs once the players get to that level. Pretty simple.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Sats, I love your passion but I can say with complete confidence that there were ZERO bantam a teams that were going to beat either Lakeville team last year. The difference between 18 year olds and 14 year year olds is just to great. Are they sacrificial lambs at state? pretty much, but lets be realistic. Hell the same group of players at South won the vfw state three yeasrs ago.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 am

Sats -

You know NOTHING if you think I was at games this year or in the past. If this coach was so bad then the Lakeville South coach should be packing his/her bags. Right?

If a bantam A team could have beaten LN then it sounds like you have more of a problem then coaching. It sounds like you just dont have any talent.

What ya need is a group of talented players to stick around and commit to each other. Like I said in previous posts there were people that at one time wanted Curt Giles to get fired. A group of kids stuck together as a team and they went to the state tournament and lost in the championship. There were people that wanted Lee Smith fired at one time. However, that whole group of players stuck together.

Sounds like maybe some kids and parents need to have a little pride in their community.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 am

Keepyourheadup,

Didn't say a bantam a team would beat, but rather give section 1 teams a run for their money, guarantee eden praries bantam a team last year wins a quarterfinal game and possibly a semifinal game in section 1 tourney facing the likes of a dodge county or farmington team.

Tigers, again comparing giles and smith and programs like a long winning tradition such as edina and one of the top programs in the state in the last 10-12 yrs in ep to schmitz and LN is a slap in the face and not even a fair comparison. Can't compare them.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Perhaps against Dodge county but I'll stick with my prior opinion, both LN/LS would have smoked EP's bantams. South and north bost lost to EP at the HS level last year but the games were not blowouts, how do you suppose the EP varsity would have done agains their bantams? I guess you could argue that they may have gotten to the semis but no chance after that.

trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm

So who are the candidates for the head coaching position?

nahc

Post by nahc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:26 pm

Sats:

Agree you are very passionate but don't think you truly know your hockey. You make very outlandish statements with little if any fact to back them up. Lakeville South had one of the best teams in the state the last 2 years. It was not luck that North beat them either time. Believe it or not, that does take coaching........and you can say what you want but just ask Moorehead and WBL how bad North was in the tourney. The Lakeville team could have easily folded its sails and packed it in after the EP loss......but they didn't. I think it takes a TON more coaching to have kids play in consolation type games since they KNOW they can't win the Championship........yet Lakeville sucked it up and beat two outstanding teams. THAT takes good coaching..........again, all is probably a moot point now and also would like to know who are being interviewed for the Lakeville North position and also who actually is doing the interviewing

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Sats -

You or your boy not play much?

trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Did they name a coach?