Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theoldref

Post by theoldref »

MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote:
sickmitts99 wrote:luverne and marshall are soft, sorry but its the truth. Yeah they might have a few wins against garbage competition but new ulm and hutch are both better. Sick you won your conference...its brutal.
Marshall split there season series with both New Ulm and Hutchinson this season and beat Litchfield in the lone game they played against them, so by all means explain how the teams you define as better are at the same time garbage!!! The conference New Ulm plays in is far and away worse than the Southwest Conference!!!!
Strength of schedule according to pagestat for New Ulm=120
Strength of schedule according to pagestate for Marshall=140
So it appears that New Ulm's conference isn't weaker or at least doesn't make their overall schedule weaker than Marshall's.

I haven't seen any teams play personall, but going off of scores, strength of schedules, and records....

1-New Ulm
2-Luvurne
3-Hutchinson
4-Marshall
5-LDC
New Ulm's conference doesn't affect their schedule because they only have to play 6 conference games a year. Everyone on here knows New Ulm's conference is probably the easiest in the state, they win it pretty much every single year. It consists of New Ulm, Fairmont, LeSuer/St. Peter, and Waseca. It's an easy conference, but they don't have a lot of conference games because it's so small. The reason their schedule is tougher is because they go play tougher non-conference opponents than Marshall or Luverne does. New Ulm is the obvious 1 seed in the section I don't think anyone on here disputes that fact. People who know how the seeding process works know that the coaches meet and each seed the teams top to bottom and at the end they all tally up the points and the team with the least points is 1st and the team with the most is last. (ex. all coaches seed New Ulm 1st, then New Ulm has 9 overall points which is the lowest amount a team can have, because New Ulm's coach can't seed his own team in his vote, and they receive 1st place.) The interesting thing about this is that this is exactly how redwood got 2nd a few years ago, there are more non-big 4 coaches than big 4 coaches so a team like Luverned actually has a pretty good shot at getting ranked a little higher in the seedings. The coaches are 6-4 non-big 4 so it depends more on how the non-big 4 coaches rank the teams.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Good game in Marshall last night. New Ulm proved they are the #1 team & Marshall proved they are the #4 team at this point in the season. New Ulm pretty much controlled the game. #7 from Marshall needed to ice the puck....too many times to count as NU had them bottled up in their defensive end quite a bit (I believe 3 icings were handled by the NU goalie and were added to the SOG). The first period I had SOG at 7 each (there were 3 shots gloved by the NU goalie above his head that were recorded) NU had to burn off a 5 minute cfb penalty on #10 but still managed to put up a shorty. NU #10 did not play for over 15 minutes of the first half of this game.

Bender, your reference to Redwood a couple years ago. If my memory serves me right (I'm old and have seen too many games and don't feel like researching it) isn't that the year Marshall beat NU twice and Redwood beat Marshall twice? Anyway come playoffs I believe Redwood was missing 1 or 2 of their key players (someone from Redwood please chime in). How would Marshall fair if #7 was not available for the playoffs this year? From what I have seen and the number of minutes he logs during games, not well.

Right now HShockeywatcher's rankings are accurate through #4, #5 & #6 arguments could be made either way.

1. New Ulm
2. Luverne
3. Hutch
4. Marshall
hutchtostate

Post by hutchtostate »

new to coaching - are you really that new to hockey? there is no agrument that could ever be made to say that Luverne would be ranked higher than Hutchinson or Marshall. Absolutely none! your reasoning follows no logic. Marshall wins the conference which Luverne is a part of, and Luverne should be higher than Marshall? Because why? Hutch plays good teams and Luverne candy coats their schedule?

every team has good players - yes, marshall would struggle without campion, new ulm without peterson and hutch without cowger...luverne without ??
Luverne should have the number 4 or number 5 seed - let them beat LDC and then we will see if they can earn respect with the rest of the section. Maybe they can beat them - then give them a chance at New Ulm. LDC has had a good team, and are struggling. Maybe they can get past them. Give them a shot at that...

Giving Luverne a seed above Marshall and Hutchinson is a disgrace to hockey.

1. New Ulm
2. Hutch
3. Marshall
4. LDC
5. Luverne
6. Windom
SquareWheels

Post by SquareWheels »

okay first off, i was at the Marshall game last night. New2Coaching might be the biggest disgrace to Luverne and 3A. He claims that New Ulm DOMINATED the game when Marshall outshot New Ulm 31-28. Luverne tied Morris and lost the SWC but well let's just give them the 1 seed ey Luverne coach? Anyone who follows this board can easily tell that New2Coaching is the Luverne coach crying about how his team should be higher than Hutch, and Marshall. So if your going to post about every Marshall game I see you at, then at least be fair and quit trying to relate everything to you mighty cardinals. So how about you head out to practice today and get your boys ready to walk over the section :lol:
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Bettman's Bender wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote:Don't shoot me if I'm wrong but didn't his younger brother follow him to St. Thomas?
Grant Sattler is a senior defenseman with 8 pts and Austin Sattler is a junior forward, who is 6th in scoring on the team, has 19 pts.
hshockeywatcher if you actually watch high school hockey you would know that player that gets 6 pts at STA could get 50 pts playing in this section.

Marshall could be the top seed if they retained their good players

Wildung in net left for the NAHL and of course the Sattlers.

Austin Sattler would be the best forward in this section. yes above the GREAT brody peterson.
My apologies for responding to the question asked #-o
Bettman's Bender wrote:DID THIS SECTION NOT LEARN ITS LESSON A FEW YEARS AGO SEEDING REDWOOD NUMBER 2?! Luverne goes and beats redwood and then gets absolutely thrashed by new ulm 11-1 or something... these teams havent proven anything.

SORRY ALL. but luverne is just. not. on the same level as new ulm.... I dont care if they beat marshall. get with it people. I honestly hope luverne gets to play new ulm, they need a reality check.

If marshall and luverne are in the same conference. and marshall wins conference.... and the two teams are in the same section... it follows that the team that wins the conference should be seeded over the team that. does not. win the conference.
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? It happens every year where a team will win a conference and lose to other teams. Head to head they are not as good, but in conference play they are.

I explained what I think based on scores. FTP has Luverne at 2 and PageStat puts Luverne at 3 behind Hutch.
I know it's fun to put exclamation points at the end of broad statement, but that doesn't mean it makes sense. With the close scores, I could put together a coherent argument for almost any order of 2-5, but the principle followed in sports is generally "what have you done for me lately?" The team winning the most recent of two head to head match ups generally gets the nod.

1. New Ulm
2. Hutch/Luverne
3. other
4. Marshall
5. LDC
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

To "new2coaching"
You are correct sir: A couple of years ago Redwood beat Marshall twice and Marshall beat New Ulm twice as well. To Marshalls defense in the first loss they were missing one or two players , the second loss was the guy in the net. Right after that Redwood's best d man left, another key guy was hurt. i believe the goalie had a pull or something. Anyway sections they were hurtin. And the wheels fell off the bus. I should also point out that in both New Ulm games the New Ulm net minder was off his game.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

SquareWheels wrote:okay first off, i was at the Marshall game last night. New2Coaching might be the biggest disgrace to Luverne and 3A. He claims that New Ulm DOMINATED the game when Marshall outshot New Ulm 31-28. Luverne tied Morris and lost the SWC but well let's just give them the 1 seed ey Luverne coach? Anyone who follows this board can easily tell that New2Coaching is the Luverne coach crying about how his team should be higher than Hutch, and Marshall. So if your going to post about every Marshall game I see you at, then at least be fair and quit trying to relate everything to you mighty cardinals. So how about you head out to practice today and get your boys ready to walk over the section :lol:
First, I'm not from Luverne nor do I have anything to do with the Luverne hockey program, so please put that to rest. Second if you truly watched the game, please watch the video if there is one available, this time without the orange colored glasses. The Marshall fans I sat with agreed with me on my interpretation of the game. Marshall has a 5 minute major and does not score but NU scores short handed, plus Marshall gets a 5 on 3 for a little over a minute and a half and does not score.

Wow, as I said in an earlier post, anyone that provides an opinion of a team outside of the normal top 4 be ranked higher than #5 gets chastised (even though everyone admits that NU, Hutch, LDC & Marshall are down quite a bit this year). HShockeywatcher had Luverne at #2 prior to last night; Luverne did not play last night and Hutch lost by 9, so now they are in a tie with Hutch? I'm certainly not going to go after HShockeywatcher for that, it’s his opinion. By the way, HShockeywatcher, welcome to the madness that is Section 3A.

A few people need to chill out a little (actually alot), there is still a couple weeks of games left in the season, Marshall & Luverne each have a key game to play that should finalize the section. Change is obviously a little more difficult for some.
SquareWheels

Post by SquareWheels »

quit posting and get to practice coach! it's only slightly ironic every game you give your "expert analysis" on with Marshall is the games you are "scouting" at. Give it up, way too many hints to know your not the man behind Luvernes bench. Good luck coach :)
Bauer Hockey

Post by Bauer Hockey »

Does it matter this section is the worst in the state and it is a disgrace to have them in the state tournament
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

theoldref wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote: Marshall split there season series with both New Ulm and Hutchinson this season and beat Litchfield in the lone game they played against them, so by all means explain how the teams you define as better are at the same time garbage!!! The conference New Ulm plays in is far and away worse than the Southwest Conference!!!!
Strength of schedule according to pagestat for New Ulm=120
So it appears that New Ulm's conference isn't weaker or at least doesn't make their overall schedule weaker than Marshall's.

I haven't seen any teams play personall, but going off of scores, strength of schedules, and records....

1-New Ulm
2-Luvurne
3-Hutchinson
4-Marshall
5-LDC
New Ulm's conference doesn't affect their schedule because they only have to play 6 conference games a year. Everyone on here knows New Ulm's conference is probably the easiest in the state, they win it pretty much every single year. It consists of New Ulm, Fairmont, LeSuer/St. Peter, and Waseca. It's an easy conference, but they don't have a lot of conference games because it's so small. The reason their schedule is tougher is because they go play tougher non-conference opponents than Marshall or Luverne does. New Ulm is the obvious 1 seed in the section I don't think anyone on here disputes that fact. People who know how the seeding process works know that the coaches meet and each seed the teams top to bottom and at the end they all tally up the points and the team with the least points is 1st and the team with the most is last. (ex. all coaches seed New Ulm 1st, then New Ulm has 9 overall points which is the lowest amount a team can have, because New Ulm's coach can't seed his own team in his vote, and they receive 1st place.) The interesting thing about this is that this is exactly how redwood got 2nd a few years ago, there are more non-big 4 coaches than big 4 coaches so a team like Luverned actually has a pretty good shot at getting ranked a little higher in the seedings. The coaches are 6-4 non-big 4 so it depends more on how the non-big 4 coaches rank the teams.
Thanks, but I know how seeding works.
Like I said earlier, even IF their conference is easier then it still doesn't make their schedule as a whole weaker than Marshall's.
However, the Southwest Conference is weaker than New Ulm's.
Average PageStat ranking for Southwest=10.93
Average PageStat ranking for New Ulm's conference=11.40
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

SquareWheels wrote:quit posting and get to practice coach! it's only slightly ironic every game you give your "expert analysis" on with Marshall is the games you are "scouting" at. Give it up, way too many hints to know your not the man behind Luvernes bench. Good luck coach :)
]

OMG ](*,) ](*,)
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

ignorance. everywhere.............

NU is number 1.... now

Riddle me this.... 2 out of these three teams actually have fighting chance of beating new ulm.

Marshall, Hutch, Luverne.......... Ill give you a hint....

Luverne is not one of them.

the redwood logic is what got this section in such a trance a few years ago..... idc how many excuses you can make for a team they did NOT in a million years deserve the seed they got. and it shows as Luverne marched into new ulm all high and mighty and walk out of new ulm with their butts on a silver platter. here is the kicker.. Redwood wouldnt have faired any better.
Apparently this section does not learn from mistakes...

Go ahead seed Luverne #2 it doesnt really matter as they will lose to whichever one of the big 4 they play anyway.

If I had it my way luverne is the 4 seed and they EARN their way to the ship. They havent EARNED any respect YET in this section so why should they be gifted with a seed they havent earned in my opinion. They have 1 quality section win. 1 and lets be honest even if they did play hutch and new ulm. they would lose. Come on people, just watch them play a game. its night and day.

I have also taken notice that new2hockey always has something to say about marshall games where I see a certain luverne coach...... Coincidence? i dont think so.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Bettman's Bender wrote:
I have also taken notice that new2hockey always has something to say about marshall games where I see a certain luverne coach...... Coincidence? i dont think so.
you are right on it being a coincidence ](*,) I am not any of them :roll:
casualobserver

Post by casualobserver »

Bauer Hockey wrote:Does it matter this section is the worst in the state and it is a disgrace to have them in the state tournament

The only disgrace here is your blog name. My dog has more creativity.
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

casualobserver wrote:
Bauer Hockey wrote:Does it matter this section is the worst in the state and it is a disgrace to have them in the state tournament

The only disgrace here is your blog name. My dog has more creativity.

Dude. Sick chirp. Casualobserver got swagg.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Bettman's Bender wrote: Go ahead seed Luverne #2 it doesnt really matter as they will lose to whichever one of the big 4 they play anyway.
All the teams in the top 4 of this section Luverne has played they have beaten. That team they beat is 1-1 against New Ulm this season. If I were one to bet on high school hockey, which I am not, I would not put money on them going to state, but I would seed them based on the results of the games they've played. Nothing more, nothing less.

Would this all be easier if Luverne had Hutch, LDC, or New Ulm on their schedule? It sure would. But it takes two to schedule a game. And I highly doubt a team with a 23 game schedule was turning away opponents.

Every ranking system has these FOUR teams very close. Seedings shouldn't be based on what some guy on a message board thinks, they should be based on what the teams have done during the season.

Marshall is 1-1 against New Ulm, Hutch, and Luverne this season, with the loses all coming the second match up, which to me puts them at 4. Luverne beat Marshall by 3, just like New Ulm did. Maybe New Ulm will dominate them, but I highly doubt it.
theoldref

Post by theoldref »

MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote: Strength of schedule according to pagestat for New Ulm=120

1-New Ulm
2-Luvurne
3-Hutchinson
4-Marshall
5-LDC
Like I said earlier, even IF their conference is easier then it still doesn't make their schedule as a whole weaker than Marshall's.
I never said Marshall's schedule was harder than New Ulm's like you are implying. Obviously the PageState ranking is going to be tougher for the South Central conference because it has New Ulm in it duh!! and there are only four teams in the conference compared with 6 in the Southwest conference. This conversation is completely pointless, I never argued that New Ulm had an easier schedule than Marshall. New Ulm is this section's #1 seed as I said before.
SouthernMNHockey

Post by SouthernMNHockey »

Games today in Section 3A.

Holy Family @ Hutchinson
Fairmont @ Redwood Valley
Luverne @ Dodge County
New Ulm @ Litchfield

I got Hutch getting thumped again

Fairmont beating Redwood

Luverne beating Dodge County closer than some may expect, a 3 goal game imo.

New Ulm will end up beating litch but it will be closer than the last time they played when NU beat em like 7-2 i believe. Im thinking like 5-3.

My Predictions for seedings....

#1 New Ulm
#2 Hutchinson
#3 Marshall
#4 Luverne
#5 Litchfield
#6 Windom
#7 Fairmont
#8 Worthington
#9 Redwood Valley
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

theoldref wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote: New Ulm's conference doesn't affect their schedule because they only have to play 6 conference games a year. Everyone on here knows New Ulm's conference is probably the easiest in the state, they win it pretty much every single year. It consists of New Ulm, Fairmont, LeSuer/St. Peter, and Waseca. It's an easy conference, but they don't have a lot of conference games because it's so small. The reason their schedule is tougher is because they go play tougher non-conference opponents than Marshall or Luverne does. New Ulm is the obvious 1 seed in the section I don't think anyone on here disputes that fact. People who know how the seeding process works know that the coaches meet and each seed the teams top to bottom and at the end they all tally up the points and the team with the least points is 1st and the team with the most is last. (ex. all coaches seed New Ulm 1st, then New Ulm has 9 overall points which is the lowest amount a team can have, because New Ulm's coach can't seed his own team in his vote, and they receive 1st place.) The interesting thing about this is that this is exactly how redwood got 2nd a few years ago, there are more non-big 4 coaches than big 4 coaches so a team like Luverned actually has a pretty good shot at getting ranked a little higher in the seedings. The coaches are 6-4 non-big 4 so it depends more on how the non-big 4 coaches rank the teams.
I never said Marshall's schedule was harder than New Ulm's like you are implying. Obviously the PageState ranking is going to be tougher for the South Central conference because it has New Ulm in it duh!! and there are only four teams in the conference compared with 6 in the Southwest conference. This conversation is completely pointless, I never argued that New Ulm had an easier schedule than Marshall. New Ulm is this section's #1 seed as I said before.
"The conference New Ulm plays in is far and away worse than the Southwest Conference!!!!"
That's what you said. I'm showing you that New Ulm's conference isn't weaker or "far and away worse" than the Southwest. Also, why would it matter how many teams it has when it's an average? That's the point of using averages.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Currently takin in the Hutchinson holy family game in hutch. Hutch being completely out played. 5-0 with 12 min left in the second Shots 30- 8 all in favor of holy family. It appears as tho hutch is shorthanded when they are not.
Oh. Make that 6-0.
This is a hutch team primed for a playoff run ?? I think not..
Abysmal performance for hutch.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

SouthernMNHockey wrote:Games today in Section 3A.

Holy Family @ Hutchinson
Fairmont @ Redwood Valley
Luverne @ Dodge County
New Ulm @ Litchfield

I got Hutch getting thumped again

Fairmont beating Redwood

Luverne beating Dodge County closer than some may expect, a 3 goal game imo.

New Ulm will end up beating litch but it will be closer than the last time they played when NU beat em like 7-2 i believe. Im thinking like 5-3.

My Predictions for seedings....

#1 New Ulm
#2 Hutchinson
#3 Marshall
#4 Luverne
#5 Litchfield
#6 Windom
#7 Fairmont
#8 Worthington
#9 Redwood Valley
Scores from 3A (2/4/12)
Redwood Valley 3 Fairmont 1
Holy Family 10 Hutchinson 1
Luverne 5 Dodge County 2
New Ulm 4 LDC 1
theoldref

Post by theoldref »

MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote: Thanks, but I know how seeding works.
"The conference New Ulm plays in is far and away worse than the Southwest Conference!!!!"
That's what you said. I'm showing you that New Ulm's conference isn't weaker or "far and away worse" than the Southwest. Also, why would it matter how many teams it has when it's an average? That's the point of using averages.
Yeah I said New Ulm's conference was worse, NOT THERE SCHEDULE!!!!!! I know how averages work, the less teams there are the more each team affects the average, so obviously New Ulm is affecting that conferences rating more that Marshall is in the Southwest conference, and New Ulm is better than Marshall. If you go 4 against 4 then the top four of the southwest conference are overall better than the top 4 in the South Central. LeSuer is the 2nd best team in New Ulm's conference and in there 2 games against the southwest conference they are 1-1 with a 2-0 win against REDWOOD who is the worst team in the southwest conference. Waseca is 1-3 against the southwest conference with 2 losses to windom and 1 loss to Worthington. Fairmont is 4-5 against the southwest conference with one game left against windom. New Ulm is 1-1 against the southwest conference with a split against Marshall. I don't care what the rating is the southwest in better than the south central, maybe not far and away better, but they are better. honestly it doesn't matter at all because both conferences suck so i'm done with this argument.
SouthernMNHockey

Post by SouthernMNHockey »

Well after tonights games looks like NU comes out as the number 1. Due to the fact that Luverne, Marshall, Litchfield, and Hutch dont have any more games against Section opponents.

Sooo here is what remains until playoffs.

New Ulm:
@Waseca

Hutch:
St. Cloud Cathedral
@Delano
Waconia

Marshall:
@Les/Stp
Sioux Falls

Luverne:
Sioux Falls
Beckenridge
@Les/Stp

Litchfield:
@Orono
Delano
Holy Family

Looks like Litch is gonna end the season on a 19 game losing streak with a record of 5-20......ouch!
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

theoldref wrote:
MHGr8ness wrote:
theoldref wrote: I never said Marshall's schedule was harder than New Ulm's like you are implying. Obviously the PageState ranking is going to be tougher for the South Central conference because it has New Ulm in it duh!! and there are only four teams in the conference compared with 6 in the Southwest conference. This conversation is completely pointless, I never argued that New Ulm had an easier schedule than Marshall. New Ulm is this section's #1 seed as I said before.
Yeah I said New Ulm's conference was worse, NOT THERE SCHEDULE!!!!!! I know how averages work, the less teams there are the more each team affects the average, so obviously New Ulm is affecting that conferences rating more that Marshall is in the Southwest conference, and New Ulm is better than Marshall. If you go 4 against 4 then the top four of the southwest conference are overall better than the top 4 in the South Central. LeSuer is the 2nd best team in New Ulm's conference and in there 2 games against the southwest conference they are 1-1 with a 2-0 win against REDWOOD who is the worst team in the southwest conference. Waseca is 1-3 against the southwest conference with 2 losses to windom and 1 loss to Worthington. Fairmont is 4-5 against the southwest conference with one game left against windom. New Ulm is 1-1 against the southwest conference with a split against Marshall. I don't care what the rating is the southwest in better than the south central, maybe not far and away better, but they are better. honestly it doesn't matter at all because both conferences suck so i'm done with this argument.
It's impossible to argue someone who changes their view every other response. Thanks for saying I'm right.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

After watching back the last 2 hutch games, if they are higher than a four seed, something has gone terribly wrong. This team has not provided a win in months that deserves them a 3 seed....

On top of this, I would find it highly entertaining to hear someone call me the luverne coach. In fact, if I claim it on the forum, does that mean that in fact, I most certainly am the coach of the mighty cardinals??
The idiots on this forum is what brings everyone back...

Again, I am not a coach, but wow are ppl on here "special"

Right hutch2state?????