Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

theoldref

Post by theoldref » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Luverne - 5
New Ulm - 4

letsgowild

Post by letsgowild » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I'd say New Ulm will win by two
N.U.-3 Luverne-1

PVTeaglesAA

Post by PVTeaglesAA » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Very surprised by the score tonight. I really thought this was more of a mismatch. But - think this is the year that the Eagles gain some respect at the state tournament!.

MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 am

PVTeaglesAA wrote:Very surprised by the score tonight. I really thought this was more of a mismatch. But - think this is the year that the Eagles gain some respect at the state tournament!.
Nope. I'd be shocked to see them stay within 3 goals of anybody.

Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:14 am

MHGr8ness wrote:
PVTeaglesAA wrote:Very surprised by the score tonight. I really thought this was more of a mismatch. But - think this is the year that the Eagles gain some respect at the state tournament!.
Nope. I'd be shocked to see them stay within 3 goals of anybody.
If New Ulm get seeded to play Breck, St. Thomas, or Hermantown the game will be won by at least 7 goals. Breck has the most potent offense in the whole A tourney.....they beat NU by 10 for sure. This team is nowhere near last years team in talent and last year they got blown out of the building in a laugher. Trust me....this will be ugly.

CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

Good game last night. Good luck to New Ulm at the X!

p_cku

Post by p_cku » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 am

CherryPicker99 wrote:Good game last night. Good luck to New Ulm at the X!
I agree.

Hats off to New Ulm their experience in the Finals the last six years paid off. They never panic and played a well controlled game. Their goalie made the saves when he needed to. Brody Peterson came through like he should. You deserve to be Section 3A Champions.

Wishing you the very best at State. We needed you to represent our Section well. First round will be tough as it will be for three other teams, but after that you should be on even ground.

To Luverne nothing to be a shamed of. You skated hard and gave New Ulm all they wanted. Could you have played better absolutely but let's give the New Ulm team some credit for the way you played. Their defense kept your forwards in check all night.

Kendall Meyer you gave your team a chance to win and that is all a goalie can ever be asked to do, because sometimes the puck just doesn't bounce your way. Luverne you have come a long ways in the past three years. Don't take this past season for granted continue to work, set your goals high and improve your game each and every time you hit the ice. Because New Ulm, Hutch, Marshall, LCD, Windom, and the other Section teams are improving and will not just roll over for you next year. Who knows maybe New Ulm and Hutch will even play you now. As the saying goes "It is easier to get to the mountain top than it is staying on the mountain top."

Finally, to both team thank for an entertaining game tonight. It was fun to watch.

casualobserver

Post by casualobserver » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 am

Congrats to the New Ulm Eagles for another trip to the X. You have a great hockey tradition in the works.

Luverne is at best the third, maybe fourth best team in this section this year. I would have thought a more lopsided victory, but cudos to Luverne for keeping it close. You will be a factor in the next few years and that is good for Section 3A.

If New Ulm can keep the first game opponent goals to single digits, it will be a victory in my book. Maybe even get a couple breaks and win game two. I'll be cheering for you all the way.

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 pm

casualobserver wrote:Congrats to the New Ulm Eagles for another trip to the X. You have a great hockey tradition in the works.

Luverne is at best the third, maybe fourth best team in this section this year. I would have thought a more lopsided victory, but cudos to Luverne for keeping it close. You will be a factor in the next few years and that is good for Section 3A.

If New Ulm can keep the first game opponent goals to single digits, it will be a victory in my book. Maybe even get a couple breaks and win game two. I'll be cheering for you all the way.
What can you tell me about the luverne upcoming sophomore class next year ? If they are at best a 3 or 4 seed, they must lose a lot and not gain anything...

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:41 pm

notTONIGHT wrote:
casualobserver wrote:Congrats to the New Ulm Eagles for another trip to the X. You have a great hockey tradition in the works.

What can you tell me about the luverne upcoming sophomore class next year ? If they are at best a 3 or 4 seed, they must lose a lot and not gain anything...
He said... THIS YEAR, just to clarify... not quite sure what luverne's sophomore class next year has to do with anything...? as much as you all want to continue talking about Luverne, lets not. its tourney time.

New Ulm draws Thief River Falls, which is going to be a tough game, but easily the best draw they could hope four out of the top 4 seeds, obviously as TRF is the 4 seed. Probably a good thing considering the kind of weak year section 3A had, could have got real ugly if they drew STA or Breck again..... TRF still very good.

TRF plays good hockey but doesnt have that dynamite type player, per say, pretty good players yes, but no big time stud. Score from anyone. TRF isnt the kind of team that is equipped to blow someone out like STA, Breck, Hermantown. I say that in relative terms.... I do not believe TRF has scored more than 10 goals in a game this year and they have played some weaker competition... (Lake of the Woods, Park Rapids, Kittson, Red Lake Falls) soo... i wouldnt be surprised if the score of this game looks semi-competitive..

with that being said...I wouldnt be surprised if NU got blown out either though......

But hey if Im NU I say go for broke... Get a stellar goalie performance, a good number of fortuitous bounces, ride Brody Peterson.. who knows. :lol:

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:04 pm

New Ulm 2 Luverne 1

Kendall Meyer was a stud in the nets. The Eagles were flying around all night however, this one was close and suspenseful. Congrats to NEW ULM AREA you have now claimed a 3-peat!

Good luck against TRF you can play with them if you get the a good defensive effort and some good goaltending. I hope for 3A sakes you keep it close we will all be cheering for you!

I will be on later sometime to look ahead to next year. It was a very fun year and lots of surprises!

See you all the TOURNY!!

timcorbin21

Help Wanted

Post by timcorbin21 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:18 pm

I noticed Worthington and Marshall were looking for coaches. Any prospects.

lightup

Re: Help Wanted

Post by lightup » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:51 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:I noticed Worthington and Marshall were looking for coaches. Any prospects.
Heard at Mankato hockey league that Marshall hired their BANTAM coach - what a joke Marshall will be. Bottom of the conference. Luverne will dominate Marshall. Windom will dominate Marshall. Morris will dominate Marshall. Good bye to any more conference championships. Marshall was going to be down this year anyway, but hiring this coach is hilarious. I watched him coach at a bantam game in Luverne and he had absolutely no idea what he was doing, nor did his players.

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:17 am

Marshall was a program that could be in an interesting transition. Just because they hired their Bantam coach is no the end of the world. Looks like we have early Luverne arrogance from the gentleman above.

Marshall will return their top forward line of Mikell, Horvath and Zerr. They also return a very good young D-man in Schaffer and will have Campion back in the nets. They wount have the depth they have enjoyed in recent years but they will be very competitive.

No one should be over looking Marshall just yet. However, what has been mentioned on here before the talen in the Marshall pipline is running a little dry that would be a reason for their drop off......

By the way a coaching opening I am surprised Bettman Bender was not named the new coach.... :lol:

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Schaffer is no longer With the Marshall hockey program. He is headed to play with team Illinois. Which in itself is an indication of the state of Marshall hockey.
How's that Marshall blueLine look without him?

timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 am

Sorry for answering my own question. I just read that the Worthington position will be filled by Grimmius who was the bantam coach last year. worthington had a young team last year and i thought Christopherson had them playing better by years end.
Marshalls advantage has been numbers when compared to the rest of the southwest. discipline and skill not so much. They've been sliding for 6 or7 years, only one way to go.
I think hutch and luverne are the teams to beat this year

Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:33 am

Dont Sleep on LDC this year.

The Haatja Boys (Senior Aaron & Sophomore Isak) have moved back from Warroad. Their Dad just didnt work out as the coach their.

You add those two boys back on the LDC squad the Dragons are legit contenders again this year after an off year last season.

Just thought I would add to the conversion as one very good young play leaves the area in Marshall. LDC bring back a huge family!

Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:37 pm

timcorbin21 wrote:Sorry for answering my own question. I just read that the Worthington position will be filled by Grimmius who was the bantam coach last year. worthington had a young team last year and i thought Christopherson had them playing better by years end.
Marshalls advantage has been numbers when compared to the rest of the southwest. discipline and skill not so much. They've been sliding for 6 or7 years, only one way to go.
I think hutch and luverne are the teams to beat this year

I agree with the statement that hutch and Luverne are the teams to beat, but I do not think you can say new Ulm is out of the picture... This is a regrouping year for them but they are still going to be a tough team to beat with Kraus in nets... Judd Davis will lead the offense along with Peterson and Neumann.. The season is still a ways a way but I have new Ulm going to the section final again this upcoming season...

Fargo Force USHL scout

Post by Fargo Force USHL scout » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I've been looking around all the sections in the state and some comments have caught my eyes. I couldn't agree more that you can't sleep on New Ulm this year, as Judd Davis and Wyatt Peterson return to the line-up. Another thing i noticed is Marshall loses a huge player in Nolan Schaeffer. I know he has been talked about lately around the USHL and futures camps. Wanna know what you guys think about him. Also, I think LDC will be a very tough team to beat this year along with Hutchinson. Can't wait for puck drop, should be a great year!

Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Fargo Force USHL scout wrote:I've been looking around all the sections in the state and some comments have caught my eyes. I couldn't agree more that you can't sleep on New Ulm this year, as Judd Davis and Wyatt Peterson return to the line-up. Another thing i noticed is Marshall loses a huge player in Nolan Schaeffer. I know he has been talked about lately around the USHL and futures camps. Wanna know what you guys think about him. Also, I think LDC will be a very tough team to beat this year along with Hutchinson. Can't wait for puck drop, should be a great year!
Schaeffer is an above average defenseman with great shot and good hands.. He isn't the smartest player tho.. And to add on to the LDC subject, they will have the haatja brothers and a couple more defensemen but they lack of a goaltender.. Hutch has all the offense they could want but their weak spot is their golie.. You need good goaltending to make it anywhere and the only teams in this section that have a good golie are new Ulm and Luverne.... So by that being said, I'm predicting a section final rematch this year

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 pm

"Schaeffer is an above average defenseman with great shot and good hands.. He isn't the smartest player tho"
An 8th grader standing out on varsity, I would say that is a little more than average... and smartest player comment, again - he was an 8th grader. I can tell by your comment your not the smartest either... Some people on here - JOKES!

Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 pm

no5hole wrote:"Schaeffer is an above average defenseman with great shot and good hands.. He isn't the smartest player tho"
An 8th grader standing out on varsity, I would say that is a little more than average... and smartest player comment, again - he was an 8th grader. I can tell by your comment your not the smartest either... Some people on here - JOKES!
That's funny, cause I've watched the kid play before and he takes stupid penalties.. So therefore he is not the smartest player.. And he also played for Marshall??? Is that really saying much considering this is the weakest section in the state.. He's still a good player but cause he played varsity as an 8th grader doesn't make him a god does it now??

Fargo Force USHL scout

Post by Fargo Force USHL scout » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:32 am

hockeyislife.. id just like to add on your comment that schaeffer did move to illinois to play on a team 21st in the nation who actually tied the #1 team in the nation this weekend. He had an assist in that game. He is an all around great player. He also leads his team in points in their league. And power play goals. As an 8th grader i know from experience it would be hard to leave home. Thats most likely why he played in Marshall for his 8th grade year

Hockeyislife09

Post by Hockeyislife09 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

Fargo Force USHL scout wrote:hockeyislife.. id just like to add on your comment that schaeffer did move to illinois to play on a team 21st in the nation who actually tied the #1 team in the nation this weekend. He had an assist in that game. He is an all around great player. He also leads his team in points in their league. And power play goals. As an 8th grader i know from experience it would be hard to leave home. Thats most likely why he played in Marshall for his 8th grade year
Well if I was him I would have left to, marshal is going to struggle for years to come.. So it was best for him to leave and if what you say is true then good for him.. But this topic is suppose to be about section 3a so let's get back to that

no5hole

Post by no5hole » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:19 am

Your going to call him not the smartest player because of penalties he takes? He showed more maturity than you are showing on this forum. All kids take dumb penalties. And your comment about the weakest section in state must mean the section is flooded with 8th graders producing on varsity. Not happening.
Lets agree to disagree and get off the subject of one player that is no longer in section 3a.