Lakeville South..surprise team ??

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HappyHockeyFan

Lakeville South..surprise team ??

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:47 am

I think Lakeville South has a chance to be the surprise team of the year, not that they are totally under the radar, but I think they could potentially be a solid top ten team. They return almost 80% of their scoring from last year with Kloos and Harvey leading the way, 75 goals last year. If they can get some decent defensive play and goaltending. Anyone else agree with me or am I off on my thinking ??
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 am

I dont know.that section is pretty tough. :wink: :wink:

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:01 am

Careful youngblood, I poked fun at Section 1 several days ago and I was accused of "bashing". Apparently it had something to do with my being associated with a private school, so maybe you won't suffer the same fate.

Although, it has been a tough section for Lake South lately, has it not?

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 am

I think if you asked the kids this age they wouldn't call it a big surprise if South had a good year. Back before there was an Eastside team to play for, this group of kids achieved at every level. The loss of Osterberg would be felt on any team but for a little background.....they won the silver stick as squirts, won two out of three at state as peewees...knocking of this same group of peewees from Eagan on the way to get there and won the Bantam VFW state. While youth success does not always carry over to high school this will be the most skilled team South has ever fielded.

vonney16

Post by vonney16 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 pm

all i have to say is JUSTIN KLOOS he's got talent and he can't be contained and if he doesn't score he'll get the 7 assists on the 7 goals in that game

Redlight

Post by Redlight » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 am

vonney16 wrote:all i have to say is JUSTIN KLOOS he's got talent and he can't be contained and if he doesn't score he'll get the 7 assists on the 7 goals in that game
Have to agree. Don't know much about the supporting cast, but Kloos is a real Stud. I like their chances.

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:45 am

Redlight wrote:
vonney16 wrote:all i have to say is JUSTIN KLOOS he's got talent and he can't be contained and if he doesn't score he'll get the 7 assists on the 7 goals in that game
Have to agree. Don't know much about the supporting cast, but Kloos is a real Stud. I like their chances.
South has a number of talented players. The question mark is if the coaches are good enough to lead them? This team will have two big tests at the start of the year, Edina Dec 3rd, and Eagan Dec. 10th. Time will tell.

nahc

Post by nahc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:29 am

No surprise at all. South should be ranked in the top 10 and unless something happens to Justin Kloos during the year, should be showcasing their talents at the state level after Sections. South has a VERY solid team....!!!!

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Watching South occasionally over the years since they became a school it has always seem like they are a decent team but just lacking in part of their game. In the early years, they had a great goalie (Yumusaklar) that kept them in most games and got them to state but struggled offensively. In recent years, they have had great goal scorers and playmakers but couldn't get the goaltending. This year they seem pretty well rounded and since they aren't considered a top 10 team in the state they could sneak up on teams like Edina, Eagan or EP. I am really hoping the represent 1AA this year, would love to see Kloos and Harvey on the big stage

longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Unfortunately, they probably won't be sneaking up on Eagan as these senior classes have been rivals for going on 7 years now.

council member retired

Post by council member retired » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm

[quote="longdistancespectator8"]Unfortunately, they probably won't be sneaking up on Eagan as these senior classes have been rivals for going on 7 years now.[/quote]

in conference no, but when it matters eagan and south will be in different sections.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Don't think they will have to worry about sneaking up on anyone if they play the way they did today against in my opinion, a very average edina team. They got hammered 5-1. Their goaltending looked rough, but nontheless, they were outplayed in every facet of the game. Kloos (of course) tallied their only goal and was the best player on the ice, although edina did a nice job containing him today.

Thought Nanne really blended in and if I didn't know his # probably wouldn't have even noticed him. Both teams have a lot of work to do. South was very undisciplined today as well.

Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Sats81 wrote:Don't think they will have to worry about sneaking up on anyone if they play the way they did today against in my opinion, a very average edina team. They got hammered 5-1. Their goaltending looked rough, but nontheless, they were outplayed in every facet of the game. Kloos (of course) tallied their only goal and was the best player on the ice, although edina did a nice job containing him today.

Thought Nanne really blended in and if I didn't know his # probably wouldn't have even noticed him. Both teams have a lot of work to do. South was very undisciplined today as well.
You must have watched a different game. First game jitters for Lakeville and their goalie vs. 4th game confidence for Edina. Throw out the first period and South outplayed them the rest of the way.

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:41 am

Jimbo99 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Don't think they will have to worry about sneaking up on anyone if they play the way they did today against in my opinion, a very average edina team. They got hammered 5-1. Their goaltending looked rough, but nontheless, they were outplayed in every facet of the game. Kloos (of course) tallied their only goal and was the best player on the ice, although edina did a nice job containing him today.

You must have watched a different game. First game jitters for Lakeville and their goalie vs. 4th game confidence for Edina. Throw out the first period and South outplayed them the rest of the way.
your saying lakeville out played them in 2 periods even though they lost 5-1 :roll:
they still got outscored the last two periods and there only goal was by the player we all expected to score. kloos is there team and was the best on the ice but he himself was not better then the whole edina team

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:52 am

South was beyond tight in the first period....and they payed dearly for it. Game was basically even after that. What hurt south the most was stupid penalties and some of the worst penalty killing i"ve ever seen. Edina was the better team tonight...end of story!

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:55 am

paid....can't believe i spelled it that way, lol

Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 am

green4 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:

your saying lakeville out played them in 2 periods even though they lost 5-1 :roll:
they still got outscored the last two periods and there only goal was by the player we all expected to score. kloos is there team and was the best on the ice but he himself was not better then the whole edina team
Throw out the first period and the score was 2-1 Edina. We all know the score does not always reflect the play on the ice. First game vs. Fourth game was a big difference here. It was no worse than even play after the first and I think a slight edge to South. There will be ups abd downs but Lakeville will be a strong contender at season's end.

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 pm

I agree with Jimbo.. I was at the game and in the 1st period it was very obvious that this was South's first game of the season and Edina's 4th (especially in goaltending). Had South started their senior goalie that came in in the 2nd period and only let up one goal it may of been a different game.. I really don't think South has anything to worry about and I expect a much better game against Eagan next week

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:15 pm

RickyTicky wrote:I agree with Jimbo.. I was at the game and in the 1st period it was very obvious that this was South's first game of the season and Edina's 4th (especially in goaltending). Had South started their senior goalie that came in in the 2nd period and only let up one goal it may of been a different game.. I really don't think South has anything to worry about and I expect a much better game against Eagan next week
I have a hard time believing if LS played four more games prior to the game last night against Edina, the outcome would have been different. These players now a day’s train and play games year round. LS was ready to play. Let’s quit sugar coating it. LS lost the game in the first, second, and third period. What until Eagan!

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 pm

[quote="Defensive Zone"][quote="RickyTicky"]I agree with Jimbo.. I was at the game and in the 1st period it was very obvious that this was South's first game of the season and Edina's 4th (especially in goaltending). Had South started their senior goalie that came in in the 2nd period and only let up one goal it may of been a different game.. I really don't think South has anything to worry about and I expect a much better game against Eagan next week[/quote]

I have a hard time believing if LS played four more games prior to the game last night against Edina, the outcome would have been different. These players now a day’s train and play games year round. LS was ready to play. Let’s quit sugar coating it. LS lost the game in the first, second, and third period. What until Eagan![/quote]

the fact you say that makes me wonder if you ever played a sport. Yes, players train for games year round but training and playing in a big game are not even comparable. The anticipation and the nerves of playing in your 1st big game against a ranked opponent (especially for younger players) can cause mental mistake, shaky and tentative play and poor execution and that was evident from LS (especially their goalie) in the 1st period. And if you asked anyone that was there LS had the better of chance in the 2nd and 3rd... and I'm not saying they would of won hands down if they had 4 more games of experience but I think it would of been a much closer game either way

oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:54 pm

RickyTicky wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
RickyTicky wrote:I agree with Jimbo.. I was at the game and in the 1st period it was very obvious that this was South's first game of the season and Edina's 4th (especially in goaltending). Had South started their senior goalie that came in in the 2nd period and only let up one goal it may of been a different game.. I really don't think South has anything to worry about and I expect a much better game against Eagan next week
I have a hard time believing if LS played four more games prior to the game last night against Edina, the outcome would have been different. These players now a day’s train and play games year round. LS was ready to play. Let’s quit sugar coating it. LS lost the game in the first, second, and third period. What until Eagan![/quote

the fact you say that makes me wonder if you ever played a sport. Yes, players train for games year round but training and playing in a big game are not even comparable. The anticipation and the nerves of playing in your 1st big game against a ranked opponent (especially for younger players) can cause mental mistake, shaky and tentative play and poor execution and that was evident from LS (especially their goalie) in the 1st period. And if you asked anyone that was there LS had the better of chance in the 2nd and 3rd... and I'm not saying they would of won hands down if they had 4 more games of experience but I think it would of been a much closer game either way
I was at the game as well. LS is going to have trouble with Eagan. The only pressure they put on Edina was with their first line (Kloos and company). The goalie was shaky in the first period, but Edina beat them to the puck consistently. BTW - 2 of the Edina goals came from Malmquist -- a freshman.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:25 pm

oldshad77 wrote:....BTW - 2 of the Edina goals came from Malmquist -- a freshman.
What kind of goals were they? Did he go coast to coast, beat a D one on one, and deke the goalie? Snipe one from the top of the circle? Or were they rebound goals? ....perhaps I didn't read enough of the post, but why does this matter?

Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:43 pm

RickyTicky wrote:
Defensive Zone wrote:
I have a hard time believing if LS played four more games prior to the game last night against Edina, the outcome would have been different. These players now a day’s train and play games year round. LS was ready to play. Let’s quit sugar coating it. LS lost the game in the first, second, and third period. What until Eagan!
RT...That is funny! Poor LS players, I hope their nerves will be okay next game. :lol:

green4

Post by green4 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Jimbo99 wrote:
green4 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:

Throw out the first period and the score was 2-1 Edina. We all know the score does not always reflect the play on the ice. First game vs. Fourth game was a big difference here. It was no worse than even play after the first and I think a slight edge to South. There will be ups abd downs but Lakeville will be a strong contender at season's end.
your missing the big picture at least to me, LS needs someone to step up because they have one great player take him off the team, its a 5-0 win for edina or 2-0 throw out the first period, without Kloos its a regular LS team we have all seen and edina did a fairly good job with Kloos but better teams will be able to handle him even better

Jimbo99

Post by Jimbo99 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm

green4 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:
green4 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:

your missing the big picture at least to me, LS needs someone to step up because they have one great player take him off the team, its a 5-0 win for edina or 2-0 throw out the first period, without Kloos its a regular LS team we have all seen and edina did a fairly good job with Kloos but better teams will be able to handle him even better
Hey - This just isn't that big a deal. South lost. It's a game and Edina was better yesterday, as keepyourheadup said above. Kloos is a great player, arguably best in the state. There is no doubt there is a gap between him and the rest of his team (as there would be on virtually every team in the state). If you take the top guy or two off any team I think most all of them change pretty dramatically. That doesn't mean the rest of his team is lousy by any measure. There are plenty of players on that team that top teams would love to add to their lineups. Give it all a few weeks.