Schwan's Gold Tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be crowned Champion

St. Thomas Academy
2%
Holy Angels
7%
Duluth East
48%
Burnsville
5%
Hill Murray
7%
Minnetonka
24%
Blaine
1%
Edina
7%

Total votes: 102

Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Shovel Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:If Burnsville's goaltender gets hot and a few bounces go the Blaze's way I could see them pulling off the upset. At the same time I could see them getting beat by a pretty good margin. Should be an interesting game and a chance to really make a statement for both teams.
Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!
Where did I imply that Burnsville isn't a top 20 team? Upset, meaning a lower ranked team beats a higher ranked team. Have you seen any high school rankings out there that have Burnsville ahead of DE? Pretty much all of the have DE #1. I'm not trying to knock on Burnsville at all here, from what I've seen I believe they're a top 5 team. If they were to take down DE, I think most people would agree that it would be an upset.
green4

Post by green4 »

mnmouth wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:If Burnsville's goaltender gets hot and a few bounces go the Blaze's way I could see them pulling off the upset. At the same time I could see them getting beat by a pretty good margin. Should be an interesting game and a chance to really make a statement for both teams.
Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!

Burnsville is a top twenty team, but they are not on the same level as East. Remember last March when the East forecheck bottled up WBL, Edina and EP on consecutive nights? That forecheck is better this year, and that's with one of the top players in the state injured and on the bench. It's gonna be an upset when any team - be it Maple Grove, Tonka, BSM, etc. - beats East this year. Book it.
ehhh i think if tonka beats them its not really an upset, tonka is looking pretty good right now
formerplayer37

Post by formerplayer37 »

Rumor says Trevor Olson will be suiting up Thursday vs. centennial but not playing. possibly actually playing during scwawns cup?
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

green4 wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote: Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!

Burnsville is a top twenty team, but they are not on the same level as East. Remember last March when the East forecheck bottled up WBL, Edina and EP on consecutive nights? That forecheck is better this year, and that's with one of the top players in the state injured and on the bench. It's gonna be an upset when any team - be it Maple Grove, Tonka, BSM, etc. - beats East this year. Book it.
ehhh i think if tonka beats them its not really an upset, tonka is looking pretty good right now
I'm not so sure I would agree with that. Tonka barely squeaked by Centennial 2-1 and only beat Hibbing 3-1, couple of bounces here or there and we're looking at a couple upsets. Granted DE's 4-1 win over LN wasn't all that impressive either. I'm really hoping these two meet in the Schwan Cup final, I don't want to see their only regular season match up this year decided by an outdoor game.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Shovel Shot wrote:
mnmouth wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote: Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!

mnmouth Nothing wrong with having a ton of confidence in your squad!!!

Good luck at Schwan's Gold Tourney...
Thank you, brother.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

Roseauverrated wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote:
Where did I imply that Burnsville isn't a top 20 team? Upset, meaning a lower ranked team beats a higher ranked team. Have you seen any high school rankings out there that have Burnsville ahead of DE? Pretty much all of the have DE #1. I'm not trying to knock on Burnsville at all here, from what I've seen I believe they're a top 5 team. If they were to take down DE, I think most people would agree that it would be an upset.
Roseauverrated just to to clarify...

An upset occurs in a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports, when the party popularly expected to win (the favorite), is defeated by an underdog whom the majority expects to lose, defying the conventional wisdom.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Shovel Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:

An upset occurs in a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports, when the party popularly expected to win (the favorite), is defeated by an underdog whom the majority expects to lose, defying the conventional wisdom.
That's my point; Duluth East is the favored team, every ranking system has them higher and they're expected to win. If we took a poll, I'm sure the majority would vote Duluth East over Burnsville, especially with their loss to Eden Prairie yesterday.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Roseauverrated wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote: Where did I imply that Burnsville isn't a top 20 team? Upset, meaning a lower ranked team beats a higher ranked team. Have you seen any high school rankings out there that have Burnsville ahead of DE? Pretty much all of the have DE #1. I'm not trying to knock on Burnsville at all here, from what I've seen I believe they're a top 5 team. If they were to take down DE, I think most people would agree that it would be an upset.

That's my point; Duluth East is the favored team, every ranking system has them higher and they're expected to win. If we took a poll, I'm sure the majority would vote Duluth East over Burnsville, especially with their loss to Eden Prairie yesterday.
Generally in an argument, you don't hand the person you're arguing with a quote to prove them right ](*,)

That being said, East and Tonka have the luxuries of their schedules right now (imo). Tonka has had one game against a top opponent and that is Burnsville and East has had between zero and one depending on where you put Wayzata. With the win over B'ville, I'd personally have Tonka ahead of East atm.

B'ville losing to both Tonka and EP doesn't look great, but they beat BSM 5-1, so they are definitely a top team right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had an East/Tonka final, however I also wouldn't be surprised if either team went 1-2. With the teams in the Gold Cup there's only one of the eight I'd put any money on any tournament result.
mn man

Post by mn man »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if we had an East/Tonka final, however I also wouldn't be surprised if either team went 1-2. With the teams in the Gold Cup there's only one of the eight I'd put any money on any tournament result.
Assume you mean HA?

My Gold Division prediction, should be some good hockey.

STA over Wholly Angels
DE over B'ville
Minnetonka over Bill Murray
Edina over Blaine

DE over and over STA
Mtka over Edina

Minnetonka beats DE in the finals
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Roseauverrated wrote:I'm not so sure I would agree with that. Tonka barely squeaked by Centennial 2-1 and only beat Hibbing 3-1, couple of bounces here or there and we're looking at a couple upsets.
Did you see either game or notice their respective 48-24 and 40-13 shot advantage in those two games? Did you note their 7.4 GPG vs 1.4 GAA in their other 5 games played? Overall their advantage is 6.0 to 1.14 and their PP isn't even clicking yet. Not saying they should be expected to beat East but to use 2 games to dismiss them is a bit short-sighted.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Slap Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:I'm not so sure I would agree with that. Tonka barely squeaked by Centennial 2-1 and only beat Hibbing 3-1, couple of bounces here or there and we're looking at a couple upsets.
Did you see either game or notice their respective 48-24 and 40-13 shot advantage in those two games? Did you note their 7.4 GPG vs 1.4 GAA in their other 5 games played? Overall their advantage is 6.0 to 1.14 and their PP isn't even clicking yet. Not saying they should be expected to beat East but to use 2 games to dismiss them is a bit short-sighted.
That's a good point. My post wasn't intended to "dismiss" them, I was just trying to show that Tonka has had a couple struggles in defeating weaker opponents and that I wouldn't quite consider them the favorite against DE. Did you consider those shot totals maybe indicating Tonka is struggling to bury the puck? When you put 48 shots on net and only have 2 goals to show for it either their goaltender played out of his mind or the shots weren't very good. I definitely think if this game happens it could go either way, but if I was a betting man I would probably put my money on DE.
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

I think BV and DE will be best first round game. I'll say that winner will beat Tonka in the final in a great game.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

With another blowout defeat last night, is it to late for Holy Angels to opt down to a bracket they can compete in? To bad Breck or Lakeville couldn't fill that spot in the Gold division instead. It would be much better hockey.
Washedup!

Post by Washedup! »

St. Thomas vs DE
Minn vs Edina

DE vs Minn

Duluth East winner!

They are just too good.
observer

Post by observer »

With another blowout defeat last night, is it to late for Holy Angels to opt down to a bracket they can compete in?
I noticed the irony of Holy Angels in Gold and Breck in Silver as well. Don't think Holy Angels will be in the Gold bracket next year.
observer

Post by observer »

December 26-28

Link to schedule, results and stats,

http://www.nscsports.org/sports/hockey/ ... esults.stm
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Which of these games will be streamed? Is it only the games on the winner's bracket?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Roseauverrated wrote:Did you consider those shot totals maybe indicating Tonka is struggling to bury the puck? When you put 48 shots on net and only have 2 goals to show for it either their goaltender played out of his mind or the shots weren't very good.
Given Tonka is scoring 6 per game overall and 7.4 per game in their other 5 games what exactly did you consider?
Zoogy92

Post by Zoogy92 »

There is no doubt that Breck should be gold and AHA be silver this year. However, had AHA not had all those transfers they would have been much more competitive and would be in their deserved spot after winning silver last season. Don't quote me on this but I don't believe it would even be possible for AHA to opt down into silver this late.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

AHA won the silver last year, so they get the gold. I too agree they should be in a different tournament, but they did not know what they would be losing when the schedule is made. I think AHA would be better in the Rochester tournament.
Another point, just because Breck beat them 8 - 2 does not necessarily mean they should be in the gold. I did not think they were that good for being rated so high.

My pick is:
AHA over STA
DE over B'ville
Tonka over Hill
Edina over Blaine

After that:
DE over AHA
Edina over Tonka

DE over Edina
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

Zamman wrote:AHA won the silver last year, so they get the gold. I too agree they should be in a different tournament, but they did not know what they would be losing when the schedule is made. I think AHA would be better in the Rochester tournament.
Another point, just because Breck beat them 8 - 2 does not necessarily mean they should be in the gold. I did not think they were that good for being rated so high.

My pick is:
AHA over STA
DE over B'ville
Tonka over Hill
Edina over Blaine

After that:
DE over AHA
Edina over Tonka

DE over Edina
Really? What were you expecting, another 15-2 butt whoopin like they got at the hands of Benilde? Some teams back off a bit and play down to the competition when the game is in hand and the outcome settled from early on. Wasn't there but the stat says they were outshot by like 20 shots.

Say what you want, but they are much more deserving of the gold division than the Stars this year.

And on the predictions, hate to say it but I think your dreaming. STA may not be as good as Breck or Benilde this year but they will still beat the Angels by a handful. Also doubt Edina beats Minnetonka, but at least that one is a possibility. I've admired the HA program for years, but they are most likely going home from this year's tourney with three more L's.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Redlight wrote:
Zamman wrote:AHA won the silver last year, so they get the gold. I too agree they should be in a different tournament, but they did not know what they would be losing when the schedule is made. I think AHA would be better in the Rochester tournament.

My pick is:
AHA over STA
DE over B'ville
Tonka over Hill
Edina over Blaine

After that:
DE over AHA
Edina over Tonka

DE over Edina
Really? What were you expecting, another 15-2 butt whoopin like they got at the hands of Benilde? Some teams back off a bit and play down to the competition when the game is in hand and the outcome settled from early on. Wasn't there but the stat says they were outshot by like 20 shots.

Say what you want, but they are much more deserving of the gold division than the Stars this year.

And on the predictions, hate to say it but I think your dreaming. STA may not be as good as Breck or Benilde this year but they will still beat the Angels by a handful. Also doubt Edina beats Minnetonka, but at least that one is a possibility. I've admired the HA program for years, but they are most likely going home from this year's tourney with three more L's.
Tell me what team would ever lay down in a game? Breck was not as quick as BSM and I am talking the whole game not just when they thought they were ahead by 3 or 4. In the first period the score was 0 - 0 till a minute and a half to go, so yes I was expecting a gut buster. When AHA was down 1 - 0 after one, that showed that the game was not gone yet...

As far as my picks, they are just picks and my opinion. I gave no reason why I picked them so does not matter.
This is all for fun for most people on these boards.....
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Duluth East has yet to play a top 10 team and Minnetonka has only played one. They could be in for a wake up call during their first couple games on their way to the championship. Burnsville definitely has the ability of coming out and winning that first game against East and Edina definitely has the chance of knocking off Tonka as well in the semis. Both Burnsville and Edina have had very strong schedules to start the year and are used to the intense competition already. Should be a very interesting Monday and Tuesday to see who can make it all the way.
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

Zamman wrote:
Redlight wrote:

My pick is:
AHA over STA
DE over B'ville
Tonka over Hill
Edina over Blaine

After that:
DE over AHA
Edina over Tonka

DE over Edina

Tell me what team would ever lay down in a game? Breck was not as quick as BSM and I am talking the whole game not just when they thought they were ahead by 3 or 4. In the first period the score was 0 - 0 till a minute and a half to go, so yes I was expecting a gut buster. When AHA was down 1 - 0 after one, that showed that the game was not gone yet...

As far as my picks, they are just picks and my opinion. I gave no reason why I picked them so does not matter.
This is all for fun for most people on these boards.....
No question Benilde has a stronger and deeper squad. Both have offensive firepower but Benilde seems to be a more complete team with the advantage of better D, Goaltending and coaching.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Quick question, what are ticket prices to these games?