Schwan's Gold Tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be crowned Champion

St. Thomas Academy
2%
Holy Angels
7%
Duluth East
48%
Burnsville
5%
Hill Murray
7%
Minnetonka
24%
Blaine
1%
Edina
7%

Total votes: 102

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Duluth East should have no problem with St. Thomas tomorrow. The Minnetonka/Edina game will be a very good game to watch.

After watching the East/Burnsville, Tonka/Hill, and two periods of the Edina/Blaine game, it seems as if it will be an East/Tonka finale but Edina will for sure make it close tomorrow night.

Redlight

Post by Redlight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:15 am

tonkafan77 wrote:Duluth East should have no problem with St. Thomas tomorrow. The Minnetonka/Edina game will be a very good game to watch.

After watching the East/Burnsville, Tonka/Hill, and two periods of the Edina/Blaine game, it seems as if it will be an East/Tonka finale but Edina will for sure make it close tomorrow night.
I agree on the Edina/Tonka assesment. I think Tonka is every bit as good as DE but it may not show this week as they are proably more focused on in town rival Edina. It will be interesting to see how the Nanne's mix it up with their cousin Vinny Leteri as well.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22 am

Redlight wrote:
tonkafan77 wrote:Duluth East should have no problem with St. Thomas tomorrow. The Minnetonka/Edina game will be a very good game to watch.

I agree on the Edina/Tonka assesment. I think Tonka is every bit as good as DE but it may not show this week as they are proably more focused on in town rival Edina. It will be interesting to see how the Nanne's mix it up with their cousin Vinny Leteri as well.
I agree. Tonight will be a huge game for Minnetonka to show that they belong ahead of the rest of the Lake Conference teams. The cousin battle should be interesting to see as well.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:51 pm

tonkafan77 wrote:
Redlight wrote:

I agree. Tonight will be a huge game for Minnetonka to show that they belong ahead of the rest of the Lake Conference teams. The cousin battle should be interesting to see as well.
East is two goals better than Tonka, and will remain so for the rest of the season.

stpaul

Schwan Cup

Post by stpaul » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Oh my !

Burnsville 15, Holy Angels 2
shots on goal 65-23
Last edited by stpaul on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sats81

Re: Schwan Cup

Post by Sats81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:06 pm

stpaul wrote:Oh my !

Is this for real?

Redlight

Post by Redlight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Sats81 wrote:

Is this for real?
That's embarrasing. They should have been allowed to opt down.

tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I knew the Stars were gonna be up against a challenge but I guess I didn't realize how bad this was going to be...

Hill Murray did not look good at all last night either. Another down year for the private schools?

88keys

Post by 88keys » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Sats81 wrote:

Is this for real?
It's for real, I just got a TXT from @hockeyhubscores. 15-3.

I am headed to the X after work, this is an awesome tournament!

seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:43 pm

88keys wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Is this for real?

Not very classy by the Burnsville coach. He keeps proving how good they are at scoring against weaker teams. I would never tell a team to quit trying but to have their best players playing regular shifts when the game is 11-2 in the 2nd and still have them going out there in the 3rd is pretty ridiculous.

He finally pulled the first line when one of them got a 10 minute penalty in the 3rd. Most coaches would sit their best players and play a 4th line regular shifts once you get a 6 goal lead and give the younger guys some chances to play. Every goal in the 2nd and 3rd period were by Seniors. I guess he thinks this is a great chance to build up team stats. Too bad he couldn't find a way to get more than 2 against Duluth East.

Towelie

Post by Towelie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Or maybe it's just payback for all the years AHA dominated them???
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??

stpaul

Holy Angels

Post by stpaul » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:59 pm

What has happened at AHA? This is certainly a quick and drastic downturn. Their JV has lost 10-0 to STA and 11-0 to HM the past 2 days.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Towelie wrote:Or maybe it's just payback for all the years AHA dominated them???
Burnsville is the team who upset the best team in the state in 2007 despite being severely "dominated" the whole game... ](*,)

Not sure what "all those years" is referring to, but they are 1-1 in the last 5 years, with Burnsville winning 6-4 in the section finals 5 years ago and Holy Angels winning 6-5 in the first round of the Silver Cup last year... #-o

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:35 pm

seek & destroy wrote:
88keys wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Is this for real?

Not very classy by the Burnsville coach. He keeps proving how good they are at scoring against weaker teams. I would never tell a team to quit trying but to have their best players playing regular shifts when the game is 11-2 in the 2nd and still have them going out there in the 3rd is pretty ridiculous.

He finally pulled the first line when one of them got a 10 minute penalty in the 3rd. Most coaches would sit their best players and play a 4th line regular shifts once you get a 6 goal lead and give the younger guys some chances to play. Every goal in the 2nd and 3rd period were by Seniors. I guess he thinks this is a great chance to build up team stats. Too bad he couldn't find a way to get more than 2 against Duluth East.
:roll:

Towelie

Post by Towelie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Towelie wrote:Or maybe it's just payback for all the years AHA dominated them???
Burnsville is the team who upset the best team in the state in 2007 despite being severely "dominated" the whole game... ](*,)

Not sure what "all those years" is referring to, but they are 1-1 in the last 5 years, with Burnsville winning 6-4 in the section finals 5 years ago and Holy Angels winning 6-5 in the first round of the Silver Cup last year... #-o
You are correct...mine was more of an assumption than anything. Looked up scores from all the way back to 2001 and couldn't find any until the one you stated.
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??

seek & destroy

Re: Holy Angels

Post by seek & destroy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm

stpaul wrote:What has happened at AHA? This is certainly a quick and drastic downturn. Their JV has lost 10-0 to STA and 11-0 to HM the past 2 days.
They certainly didn't belong at the gold level this year. Their Varsity team has a record of 1 - 7 with their only victory being a win against New Prague (7-4). In their last 5 games they have given up a combined total of 53 goals (an average of nearly 11 per game).

Holy Angels is simply not a good team this year. Congratulations to Burnsville and their coaching staff for being able to figure a way to beat them. Let's see how they do tomorrow against a decent team (either Blaine or Hill Murray).

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:07 pm

:roll:

outside_observer

Post by outside_observer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Boo Hoo, were you on a bad team as a youngster "Seek"? You should probably change you name to "Seek and Just do enough to barely win, then we can all be Classy"
Maybe Burnsville should have put their JV on the ice to make it fair. That would have been classy.
You play the game until it is over. And you play as hard as you can.
I seem to remember they were up by 3 last year in the third and lost to AHA. Maybe they were being classy and let them come back.

stpaul

Schwan Cup

Post by stpaul » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Hill-Murray 4, Blaine 2, Final
shots HM 36-31
scorers:
HM - Heinrich, Guentzel, Faust, Brown
B - Lambert, Lau

seek & destroy

Post by seek & destroy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:48 pm

outside_observer wrote:Boo Hoo, were you on a bad team as a youngster "Seek"? You should probably change you name to "Seek and Just do enough to barely win, then we can all be Classy"
Maybe Burnsville should have put their JV on the ice to make it fair. That would have been classy.
You play the game until it is over. And you play as hard as you can.
I seem to remember they were up by 3 last year in the third and lost to AHA. Maybe they were being classy and let them come back.
First, I said that when you are up by 6 (not 3) that most coaches give younger players or 4th line guys a chance to play. It was 7-1 after the 1st period and I think they had a pretty good idea they would win. Second, I said that I would never tell my players to quit trying so I agree with you that you should continue to "play the game until it is over" and "play as hard as you can". I just think once you are clearly going to win you can let other players be the ones to "play as hard as they can" rather than your top guys. That gives those other kids some experience playing at the Varsity level and lets your top guys rest.

Reg7

Terrible hockey

Post by Reg7 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Holy Angels shouldn't even have been in it. Hands down. :roll:

Sats81

Re: Terrible hockey

Post by Sats81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Reg7 wrote:Holy Angels shouldn't even have been in it. Hands down. :roll:
Agreed. Isn't this Trebil's last year behind the bench? Crazy how they have dropped off.

PuckU126

Re: Terrible hockey

Post by PuckU126 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Sats81 wrote:Isn't this Trebil's last year behind the bench?
Yes, this is his last year as AHA's head coach.

8)
The Puck
LGW

Listen2me

AHA Gold

Post by Listen2me » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:55 pm

The chances of AHA opting out of anything sports related are probably as good as STA moving to AA class.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:58 pm

East 1, STA 1 - East off their game, though neither team impressive. STA had a nice flurry to end per. 1
Last edited by mnmouth on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.