Schwan's Gold Tournament

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will be crowned Champion

St. Thomas Academy
2%
Holy Angels
7%
Duluth East
48%
Burnsville
5%
Hill Murray
7%
Minnetonka
24%
Blaine
1%
Edina
7%

Total votes: 102

WHAFightingSaints

Schwan's Gold Tournament

Post by WHAFightingSaints »

Schwan’s Gold Division Schedule 12/26- Ridder Arena

St. Thomas Academy vs. Holy Angels 12:00
Duluth East vs. Burnsville 2:30
Hill Murray vs. Minnetonka 5:30
Blaine vs. Edina 8:00

Holy Angels appears to be in over their heads this year, STA only A team of the bunch, Burnsville jumps from Silver to Gold, Greyhounds will face tough early test, Pioneers will gain a little more experince away from soft conference schedule, Skippers to the finals in my opinion, Blaine may be overmatched this year in the Gold, Edina playing with confidence after sweeping Edina Classic.

Who wins?
Goldy23

Re: Schwan's Gold Tournament

Post by Goldy23 »

WHAFightingSaints wrote:Schwan’s Gold Division Schedule 12/26- Ridder Arena

St. Thomas Academy vs. Holy Angels 12:00 If these guys wern't playing each other, neither team would get a win. STA by a couple
Duluth East vs. Burnsville 2:30 Best day one match up of the day. DE should prevail.
Hill Murray vs. Minnetonka 5:30 Tonka, Tonka, Tonka
Blaine vs. Edina 8:00 Green Hornets
Holy Angels appears to be in over their heads this year, STA only A team of the bunch, Burnsville jumps from Silver to Gold, Greyhounds will face tough early test, Pioneers will gain a little more experince away from soft conference schedule, Skippers to the finals in my opinion, Blaine may be overmatched this year in the Gold, Edina playing with confidence after sweeping Edina Classic.

Who wins?
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

This will be a very entertaining Schwan's Cup this year. First of all, I must say that the switch to Ridder was a very smart move. It should be a solid atmosphere for all four games on Monday. As for who will win, it is definitely up in the air.

PREDICTIONS:

SEMIS:
St. Thomas vs. Duluth East
Tonka vs. Edina

CHAMPIONSHIP:
Duluth East vs. Tonka

Burnsville does have a good chance at upsetting East on Monday-should make for an exciting game. The possible Minnetonka-Edina rivalry also makes for an exciting game. As for the winner of it all, it is hard to predict who comes out on top. #1 or #2.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Looks to be a good tournament this year. I'm personally hoping for a Duluth East-Minnetonka championship game, I would for sure make the trip to Xcel for that one. For those interested, here's a bracket view of the tournament.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

Well I'm sure I'm not going to make any East fans happy but there's no sense in picking all the (so called) favorites. Not sure why Burnsville seems to be snubbed so far in the pole. Either way whoever comes out on top will have earned it!!!

MY PREDICTIONS:

SEMIS:
St. Thomas vs. Burnsville
Hill Murray vs. Tonka

CHAMPIONSHIP:
Burnsville vs. Tonka
Last edited by Shovel Shot on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mn man

Post by mn man »

Shovel Shot wrote:Well I'm sure I'm not going to make any East fans happy but there's no sense in picking all the (so called) favorites. Not sure why Burnsville seems to be snubbed so far in the pole. Either way whoever comes out on top will have earned it!!!

MY PREDICTIONS:

SEMIS:
Hill Murray vs. Tonka

CHAMPIONSHIP:
Burnsville vs. Tonka
You're not nuts on the Burnsville take, but it will be hard for HM to play Tonka in the semis, as they are matched up in the quarters.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

mn man wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote:Well I'm sure I'm not going to make any East fans happy but there's no sense in picking all the (so called) favorites. Not sure why Burnsville seems to be snubbed so far in the pole. Either way whoever comes out on top will have earned it!!!

MY PREDICTIONS:

SEMIS:
Hill Murray vs. Tonka

CHAMPIONSHIP:
Burnsville vs. Tonka
You're not nuts on the Burnsville take, but it will be hard for HM to play Tonka in the semis, as they are matched up in the quarters.
Thanks for correcting there mn man. Even though I hate to I'll guess I'm going with Edina over Blaine. 

Guess my wife is correct. I am losing my??? Image

SEMIS:
Edina vs. Tonka

CHAMPIONSHIP:
Burnsville vs. Tonka
Zoogy92

Post by Zoogy92 »

I have a different take on things regarding the STA vs. AHA game. Could be a tell tale sign by looking at how AHA handles Breck this week but for now I'm guessing that AHA will come up with the win.

SEMIFINALS
Holy Angels vs. Duluth East
Edina vs. Minnetonka

CHAMPIONSHIP
Duluth East vs. Minnetonka
shotpassskate

Post by shotpassskate »

Who wins?
AHA has their goalie back from last years team, should be a boost to them.
Semi's
AHA vs. East
Tonka vs. Edina

Championship
East vs. Edina

Winner
East
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Predictions:

STA by 3

DEast by 3

Tonka by 5

Edina by 2

DEAst by 5
Tonka by 2

Tonka over Deast by 1
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

AHA is losing to teams in the Missota conference this year and only beat New Prague by 3 goals while losing to Benilde by 13 GOALS! STA may be down a little from last year. Benilde beat Hill by 1 and STA lost to Hill by 1 in game where the shots heavily favored to STA.

STA over Hill by at least 3

East wins

Minnetonka wins

Edina wins

Semifinals will be a great matchup!!

In the end I think East will take it all.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Saywhat?03 wrote:AHA is losing to teams in the Missota conference this year and only beat New Prague by 3 goals while losing to Benilde by 13 GOALS! STA may be down a little from last year. Benilde beat Hill by 1 and STA lost to Hill by 1 in game where the shots heavily favored to STA.

East wins

Minnetonka wins

Edina wins

Wait, AHA is not losing to teams in the Missota this year. they lost one and won one. Chanhassen got up early, had AHA kept it close of gotten up first they would have beaten Chanhassen. Chanhassen lost to AHA both times last year in OT, give Chanhassen some credit they are a good team. Also to say they ONLY beat New Prague by three means you really do not know anything about the Missota... So point is off...

Back to the Gold Cup:
AHA may have their goalie from last year back, but will he help? maybe too early to tell.
I think AHA can take STA if they get up early
DE over Burnsville
Tonka over Hill
Edina, I hate to say, over Blaine

After that i will post....Don't count AHA out just yet :wink:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Saywhat?03 wrote:AHA is losing to teams in the Missota conference this year and only beat New Prague by 3 goals while losing to Benilde by 13 GOALS! STA may be down a little from last year. Benilde beat Hill by 1 and STA lost to Hill by 1 in game where the shots heavily favored to STA.

East wins

Minnetonka wins

Edina wins

STA over Hill ??????
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Who wins?
STA
Bville
Tonka
Edina

Bville over STA
Tonka over Edina

Tonka wins it all again.
shoottowin

Post by shoottowin »

STA
East
Tonka
Blaine

East over STA
Tonka over Blaine

East takes all
Saywhat?03

Post by Saywhat?03 »

Wait, AHA is not losing to teams in the Missota this year. they lost one and won one. Chanhassen got up early, had AHA kept it close of gotten up first they would have beaten Chanhassen. Chanhassen lost to AHA both times last year in OT, give Chanhassen some credit they are a good team. Also to say they ONLY beat New Prague by three means you really do not know anything about the Missota... So point is off...
Zamm: I graduated from there a while back. For New Prague we would have JV guys play against them in the second and third period and still get running time on them. Now losing to Stillwater and Chan, these are teams they used to never lose to. Getting beat by 13 to Benilde? Just saying the talent pool has unfortunately been dropping alot recently.

And i laughed when i read your first sentence, "Wait, AHA is not losing to teams in the Missota this year. they lost one and won one".... If they lost one then they are losing....

And i meant to say STA over AHA by at least 3.

Its gonna be some good hockey next week
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Saywhat?03 wrote:
Zamm: I graduated from there a while back. For New Prague we would have JV guys play against them in the second and third period and still get running time on them. Now losing to Stillwater and Chan, these are teams they used to never lose to. Getting beat by 13 to Benilde? Just saying the talent pool has unfortunately been dropping alot recently.

And i laughed when i read your first sentence, "Wait, AHA is not losing to teams in the Missota this year. they lost one and won one".... If they lost one then they are losing....

And i meant to say STA over AHA by at least 3.

Plural? Just saying
Its gonna be some good hockey next week
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

East Edina final. East wins it.

Edina Tonka should be a great semi, and yes, agreed, Burnsville has a shot at upsetting the hounds
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Sats81 wrote:East Edina final. East wins it.

Edina Tonka should be a great semi, and yes, agreed, Burnsville has a shot at upsetting the hounds
No, they don't.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

mnmouth wrote:

No, they don't.
Ok. Sorry mnmouth, you are right. Shame on me for having an opinion.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

mnmouth wrote:

No, they don't.
What gives you that idea? They are great, no doubt, and shutting out the bad teams they've played, but what allowing 3 to WBL? They will both be ready and I'm looking forward to seeing this game live, but Burnsville definitely has the upper hand in games that are preparing them for it.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

If Burnsville's goaltender gets hot and a few bounces go the Blaze's way I could see them pulling off the upset. At the same time I could see them getting beat by a pretty good margin. Should be an interesting game and a chance to really make a statement for both teams.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

Roseauverrated wrote:If Burnsville's goaltender gets hot and a few bounces go the Blaze's way I could see them pulling off the upset. At the same time I could see them getting beat by a pretty good margin. Should be an interesting game and a chance to really make a statement for both teams.
Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Shovel Shot wrote:
Roseauverrated wrote:If Burnsville's goaltender gets hot and a few bounces go the Blaze's way I could see them pulling off the upset. At the same time I could see them getting beat by a pretty good margin. Should be an interesting game and a chance to really make a statement for both teams.
Guess I don't understand why it's an upset if the Blaze beat East. Some of you make it sound like Burnsville isn't even a top twenty team!!!

Burnsville is a top twenty team, but they are not on the same level as East. Remember last March when the East forecheck bottled up WBL, Edina and EP on consecutive nights? That forecheck is better this year, and that's with one of the top players in the state injured and on the bench. It's gonna be an upset when any team - be it Maple Grove, Tonka, BSM, etc. - beats East this year. Book it.
Shovel Shot

Post by Shovel Shot »

mnmouth wrote:
Shovel Shot wrote:

Burnsville is a top twenty team, but they are not on the same level as East. Remember last March when the East forecheck bottled up WBL, Edina and EP on consecutive nights? That forecheck is better this year, and that's with one of the top players in the state injured and on the bench. It's gonna be an upset when any team - be it Maple Grove, Tonka, BSM, etc. - beats East this year. Book it.
mnmouth Nothing wrong with having a ton of confidence in your squad!!!

Good luck at Schwan's Gold Tourney...