Check in back ignites mayhem

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rudy

Check in back ignites mayhem

Post by rudy »

Reports are a checking from behind penalty in the owatonna-winona game ignited an all-out fight. All 10 skaters ejected.

anyone there who can give a first-hand account?
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Check in back ignites mayhem

Post by east hockey »

rudy wrote:Reports are a checking from behind penalty in the owatonna-winona game ignited an all-out fight. All 10 skaters ejected.

anyone there who can give a first-hand account?
Story on the game:

http://owatonna.com/content/ten-tossed- ... t%E2%80%99

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
rudy

brawl

Post by rudy »

pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Good call on the checking from behind penalty. Ref kind of overreacted by tossing everyone.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
HSRef77

Post by HSRef77 »

pioneers wrote:Good call on the checking from behind penalty. Ref kind of overreacted by tossing everyone.

I wasn't the official and didn't see the altercation but how can you say that the officials overreacted? The coach said the punishment was correct and from what I read, everyone was involved in one way or another. It sounds like the officials did a great job of controlling a difficult situation and not letting it escalate further.
rudy

mayhem

Post by rudy »

High-quality video of the hit and brawl:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/136808583.html
Haute hockeymom

Post by Haute hockeymom »

Does it really matter whether it was a good call? Whether the ref overreacted?

Isn't the point that almost a week after the Jablonski tragedy ...nothing has changed?
Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in
Haute hockeymom

Post by Haute hockeymom »

When does this stop?
Everytime I think I'm out, they pull me back in
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

well i'll give my account since i was one of the people standing behind the net on the end it happened on.

first of all i'd like to state the owatonna's coach's comments are ridiculous by saying none of his players were involved. take ownership for what your players did. they all deserved the game misconducts.

the two teams already dont like each other and the outbreak was fueled more by the close nature of the game. also fueled by the events of the last week. in my opinion just a case of sticking up for a teammate after an awful hit. I have no problem with the reaction by any of the players after the hit. the hit from behind itself is disgusting.
Defensive Zone

Re: mayhem

Post by Defensive Zone »

rudy wrote:High-quality video of the hit and brawl:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/136808583.html
I heard about this last night and just saw the video. What I saw is the same thing I see every other hockey game I watch; a players turns to screen the puck from the other opposing player on the boards. As the player turns, the second player (forechecker) comes in and proceeds to pinch (hit). Thank heavens the forechecker started to slow down before contact was made in last night’s game. I saw somewhere on this forum that maybe a checking restriction should be enforced when a player (F1 or F2) come in contact with the opposing players below the goal line? Maybe use a poke check, rub out, or other techniques besides checking. Just thinking out loud! :?:
hockey8543

Post by hockey8543 »

Haute hockeymom wrote:Does it really matter whether it was a good call? Whether the ref overreacted?

Isn't the point that almost a week after the Jablonski tragedy ...nothing has changed?
I agree nothing has changed last night during the East Ridge - Forest Lake game there was a check from behind. The two ref's got together and discussed it for about 2 min's they decided it was a boarding. The crowd starting booing from both sides. I guess it would be nice to know what the ref's definition of checking from behind is.
nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 »

When I saw that this was a "brawl" that might've been an overstatement and I don't believe it warranted all 10 players to be ejected.

Anyway, it looks like the players might start to police it by themselves. If players realize that when they make a hit like this that a brawl may ensue I'm pretty sure they won't want to do it again. But I still believe the refs are going to have to start calling it more too.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

pretty much every game is taped. i would love to see ref's suspended when they call a blatant hit from behind boarding like they have for years. they need to grow a set and call the penalty what it is. and we need stiffer punishments for checking from behind. i love big open ice hits and crushing collisions along the boards but any player who does it from behind is a coward and doesnt deserve to be on the ice for 5 games. i applaud the kid that came up swinging from this dirty hit.
youngblood08

Post by youngblood08 »

Nice post DZ. I agree, it was nice of the replay to be slowed down for the dramatic effect just before the hit. The kid is past the goalline when the Winona player turns his back. Grant it the kid should have been looking for the puck instead of laying on another hit. I also bet most of the games in this area have a "scrum" or two in them.

Doesn't make it right or Okay but the game is fast paced and we all are having a better view with the help of video replay, that seems to make us all smarter and experts.

Very unfortunate situation for the BSM player, no one wants to see anyones child hurt like that. Life is a risk, we can do everything to take those risks out of the picture and bad things can and will still happen. The one thing for certian is the hockey community is supportive and passionate.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

One thing is many if not most of these hits that end up boarding calls are because the initial contact is from the side and due to the player already turning or turning due to the check it is not a check from behind. As the rules are written the officials have to be darn sure the hit was from behind which is why you see discussion about it.

Just my opinion but making boarding and checking from behind equal penalties, 2 and 10 or 5 and a game, may help reduce these hits. I doubt any kid intentionally hits from behind at the high school level.
RoseauFan

Post by RoseauFan »

1. The kid that delivered the illegal check had no intention to do anything with the puck and the kid he was hitting was not in possession of the puck. He was going in there to lay the hammer down, plain and simple.

2. Why did the kid receiving the hit look up, see the kid coming and instead of staying on the boards and absorbing the hit, he quickly turns around so he is facing the boards from about 3 feet away.

3. The kid who got hit, his teammate comes in and hits the player who started all of this while he has his head down and is facing the boards. So now a player thinks he's going to "protect" his teammate with another extremely dangerous hit?

Players have ZERO respect for the game and other players. With all this "chirping" going on now and crap after the whistle for skating to close to the goalie is getting ridiculous. All you have to do is start calling it immediately and it will eliminate 90% of it from the game.

You are never going to eliminate 100% of the risk from anything you do in life. You just try and minimize the risk as much as you can. And I think most of us agree it has to begin with all levels of hockey. Not just players, not just coaches, not just officials, not just parents, but everybody. The Officials have the most leverage as they are the ones in charge of enforcing the rules. Start enforcing the rules that are in place and not what they think should be the rules based on the era that they played.
RangeHockeyFan1817

Post by RangeHockeyFan1817 »

This is part of the recent discussion that has been missed so far. Turning your back on a hit. Now let me start off by saying that this in NO WAY should have any effect on the player doing the hitting, he should still get the checking from behind penatly even if the player turns at the last second. However, what I am saying is that in all this discussion about safety, it should be emphasized that you should never turn your back on a hit, especially if you're near the boards. You are putting yourself in a very unsafe situation. Also keep in mind, I am only talking about this hit, as this is a hit that I have seen first hand.
ayhfan

Post by ayhfan »

"This is part of the recent discussion that has been missed so far. Turning your back on a hit. Now let me start off by saying that this in NO WAY should have any effect on the player doing the hitting, he should still get the checking from behind penatly even if the player turns at the last second. However, what I am saying is that in all this discussion about safety, it should be emphasized that you should never turn your back on a hit, especially if you're near the boards. You are putting yourself in a very unsafe situation. Also keep in mind, I am only talking about this hit, as this is a hit that I have seen first hand".

Can't have it both ways--
If what you wrote about becomes a rule then you will see more of it. If a player can see a hit coming, turn his back at the last moment, and take a hit- you are calling that a penalty.. Guess whats going to happen- everyones going to do it and your gonna end up with 27 kids in the box. Refs need to call the checks from behind , not the ones that are a result from a player putting himself at danger by doing the above move. Refs can and should be able to take charge of games played by kids-if they can't, find a new hobby. We already have enough rules in this game and in life-enforce them.
RoseauFan

Post by RoseauFan »

I'm not sure of the exact wording for High School hockey, but in Youth hockey, whether the kid turns his back or not is irrelevant. A check from behind is a check from behind and should be called as such. Just because the kid turned at the last second doesn't mean it should be called as a board, cross check, etc...according to USA Hockey
woodley

Post by woodley »

I was at this game and wondered why they tossed all 10 when at least a couple from both teams were simply restraining others; however, when I heard the coach's comment about "entering" the fight, it made a great deal of sense.

As to the check from behind, it was properly penalized. Two weeks ago it would have been 2/10. . . but it isn't two weeks ago!

Kudos to Winona's (presumably) AD. As this was being sorted out, a couple kids in the student section were out of control on the glass yipping and hanging on the glass. The AD comes from the penalty box, ejected the kids from the building and immediately demanded appropriate conduct. IMHO this helped restore order and control. Well done!!
hawkhockey

Post by hawkhockey »

woodley wrote:I was at this game and wondered why they tossed all 10 when at least a couple from both teams were simply restraining others; however, when I heard the coach's comment about "entering" the fight, it made a great deal of sense.

As to the check from behind, it was properly penalized. Two weeks ago it would have been 2/10. . . but it isn't two weeks ago!

Kudos to Winona's (presumably) AD. As this was being sorted out, a couple kids in the student section were out of control on the glass yipping and hanging on the glass. The AD comes from the penalty box, ejected the kids from the building and immediately demanded appropriate conduct. IMHO this helped restore order and control. Well done!!
Last edited by hawkhockey on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

Last edited by WB6162 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WB6162

Post by WB6162 »

Haute hockeymom wrote:Does it really matter whether it was a good call? Whether the ref overreacted?

This is the problem. People really don't give a sh*t as you can see by comments like that. "Over reacted" :roll:
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

HSRef77 wrote:
pioneers wrote:Good call on the checking from behind penalty. Ref kind of overreacted by tossing everyone.

I wasn't the official and didn't see the altercation but how can you say that the officials overreacted? The coach said the punishment was correct and from what I read, everyone was involved in one way or another. It sounds like the officials did a great job of controlling a difficult situation and not letting it escalate further.
After hearing the official rule of anyone becoming involved in a fight being ejected,the ref made the right call.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I think whats worse is the kids reaction in his interview following the game. This is some serious stuff going on, and he makes jokes about how he over reacted a bit. Maybe not jokes, but chuckles a bit.

I have no problem all 10 kids were sent off the ice. The kid that hit the kid should get more games and unfortunately the kid that got hit should get more games.