Edina at Minnetonka 1/18/12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins the cake?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Skippers
86%
Hornets
14%

Total votes: 28

tonkafan77

Edina at Minnetonka 1/18/12

Post by tonkafan77 »

Will Minnetonka handle Edina as they did in the Schwan Cup semis or will the Hornets come out buzzing after their embarrassing loss?

I predict that it will be a much closer game but the Skippers will still come out on top due to their 3 solid, deep lines. After watching Edina a few times now against the top-ranked teams, it just seems as if they are too young to compete against the "Big Boys" (as HockeyHub puts it).

Any thoughts?
bronzemedal

Post by bronzemedal »

Edina loses 4-1
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

I expect a much closer game than the 6-0 rout the Skippers had against Edina in the Schwan Cup. That said, I think Minnetonka is just too much for Edina to handle, especially at Pagel. I'll take Tonka 4-2.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Anyone know if the game will be broadcast anywhere in any fashion for those who can't get to Pagel? Thanks!
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

FSN will be providing a live stream of the game.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Tonka 7-3
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tonka 6-2
butterball5

Post by butterball5 »

4-1 Tonka
Puck Whisperer

Post by Puck Whisperer »

Pagel is tough. Tonka 5-3
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Final:

Edina 3, Skippers 2
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Impressive win by the Hornets. It was a pretty even game, but Edina got the break at the end.

This adds an interesting twist to the Hockey Day match-up...Tonka won't want to lose two in a row at Pagel.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Tough loss for the Tonka. The hockey hub is showing they outshot Edina 41-26, can anyone who watched the game comment on how evenly it was played? If they lose to Duluth East on Saturday they will have lost as many games at Pagel over a 3 day stretch than they have in the last 4 and a half years.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Roseauverrated wrote:Tough loss for the Tonka. The hockey hub is showing they outshot Edina 41-26, can anyone who watched the game comment on how evenly it was played? If they lose to Duluth East on Saturday they will have lost as many games at Pagel over a 3 day stretch than they have in the last 4 and a half years.
The scoreboard said 41-22. Tonka definitely had more scoring chances, they just couldn't capitalize. Edina did a great job of shutting down Letteiri as he barely had any opportunities the whole game. It seemed as if Tonka was already looking forward to Saturday and thinking that after the 6-0 win earlier in the year, this game would be a "cake" walk.

Judging by the shots on goal though, Tonka outplayed Edina. Judging by goaltending, Benjamin outplayed Ciaccio.
BBB

Post by BBB »

How did Nanne play?
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

BBB wrote:How did Nanne play?
One goal, set up a few nice plays with hard work, otherwise not much
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Roseauverrated wrote:Tough loss for the Tonka. The hockey hub is showing they outshot Edina 41-26, can anyone who watched the game comment on how evenly it was played? If they lose to Duluth East on Saturday they will have lost as many games at Pagel over a 3 day stretch than they have in the last 4 and a half years.
Edina just controlled the puck more in Tonka's end... Tonka had a powerplay opportunity in the third which would have been a very nice time to get a goal. Edina goalie had at least a couple miraculous saves. Edina's game-winner was in the last few minutes and then Tonka just about put it in to OT...
rudy

game

Post by rudy »

I've never experienced less energy and excitement attending a rivalry game than this one. the players seemed to be over-compensating for how things might be called, passing up the correct physical response for the hockey situation time and time again. that includes players on both sides.

i saw no difference in the officiating connected to the revisions.

i hope this isn't illustrative of things to come the rest of the high school hockey season.
mulefarm

Re: game

Post by mulefarm »

rudy wrote:I've never experienced less energy and excitement attending a rivalry game than this one. the players seemed to be over-compensating for how things might be called, passing up the correct physical response for the hockey situation time and time again. that includes players on both sides.

i saw no difference in the officiating connected to the revisions.

i hope this isn't illustrative of things to come the rest of the high school hockey season.
Sorry to say, but it is!
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

starmvp wrote:
haha what more do you want from him?
F14

Willie Benjamin

Post by F14 »

I am not a fan of either team but was the shot quality and attempts on him h greater than Ciaccio tonight? The shot differential was very significant in favor of Edina .

If he is playing and Don Beaupre 's son doesn't get off the bench, like to have a 3rd party assessment about tonight and his work this year?
F14

Oops

Post by F14 »

Oops. I meant shots way in favor of Mtka so one assumes they are much better (6-0 defeat earlier included)
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
starmvp wrote:
haha what more do you want from him?
Clearly if he doesn't get a hat trick, he's not worth the time for the Gophers!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

tonkafan77 wrote:
The scoreboard said 41-22. Tonka definitely had more scoring chances, they just couldn't capitalize. Edina did a great job of shutting down Letteiri as he barely had any opportunities the whole game. It seemed as if Tonka was already looking forward to Saturday and thinking that after the 6-0 win earlier in the year, this game would be a "cake" walk.

Judging by the shots on goal though, Tonka outplayed Edina. Judging by goaltending, Benjamin outplayed Ciaccio.
Just curious, did they have Nanne matched up against Letteiri during the game? If so, shutting down the opponents #1 and getting a goal yourself is pretty impressive.
GTTN

Re: game

Post by GTTN »

[quote="rudy"]I've never experienced less energy and excitement attending a rivalry game than this one. the players seemed to be over-compensating for how things might be called, passing up the correct physical response for the hockey situation time and time again. that includes players on both sides.

You are right on Rudy. This game was so boring. Usually this game has much more effort and intensity. I thought both teams looked off their game. Edina deserved to win the game by more in my opinion.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

BodyShots wrote:
tonkafan77 wrote:

Just curious, did they have Nanne matched up against Letteiri during the game? If so, shutting down the opponents #1 and getting a goal yourself is pretty impressive.
Agree with all previous. Really low intensity game, for the most part. Tonka was especially lackluster, even some of their big guns like Baskin and Rothstein looked like they were phoning it in. Edina was not much better, frankly. They worked hard, but couldn't seem to get a handle on the puck. Lots of missed passes and one-timers. But they got the one that counted most.

The cousins were matched up now and again, especially in the third. Nanne won more faceoffs by my unofficial tally. Nanne was a much bigger factor than Lettieri, which surprised me because I normally expect the other way around after seeing 'em in the Elite League.

As flat as Tonka was, Willy Benjamin DID have a good game in goal. His strategy was to cover anything that came into the house whether there was pressure or not, and that seemed to work. Even on a tremendously off night, Tonka got their chances but couldn't make them count.

Edina's powerplay looked really good. Best hockey of the night.

Edit in reply to Mulefarm's comment: I saw plenty of big hits -- maybe not as many as you'd expect in a rivalry game, and some that were borderline. Definitely a few crosschecks to the lower back that did not get called, and some turning into checks that didn't draw anything. The players may have been holding back a little, if you accept (as I do) that most teams like to hit the Hornets as much as they can. But it's not like they were playing no-contact either.

Holding back on unsafe hits doesn't have to mean coasting like I saw Tonka doing most of the game. If it does, they're in for big sad face on Hockey Day.

Vaguely related note: Noticed that the rocks outside the high school were painted red and white with "Jabs" across them, but saw a grand total of one Jabby button on an adult's jacket in a full house.