Most Disappointing Teams

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

I disagree. I felt more was expected out of Rapids this year than EP.
Go Hounds.

shakey

Post by shakey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm

EP hands down....so far.

dump and chase

Post by dump and chase » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:34 am

After the early exit from sections I would have to add Apple Valley to this list.. State tourney as second year pee wees and bantams (with out aj and smith who played varsity).

I know they had alot of early departures but playing four lines is not the way to gameplan for winning. Looks like it will be a long time till AV is back above .500

hockeyjunkie2

Post by hockeyjunkie2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:44 am

dump and chase wrote:After the early exit from sections I would have to add Apple Valley to this list.. State tourney as second year pee wees and bantams (with out aj and smith who played varsity).

I know they had alot of early departures but playing four lines is not the way to gameplan for winning. Looks like it will be a long time till AV is back above .500
Shouldn't be at all surprising. They shouldn't be on this list because they shouldn't have had much for expectations this year. This comes as a follower of the team as well...The loss of: Michaelson (F-USHL) Fasching (F- AnnArbor) Olson (G-Ann Arbor) Pedrie (D-USHL) was the end of the season for this team. I was surprised they did as well as they did for the regular season missing those players. Unfortunate to drop the first section game in a poor section though I would still agree with.

And Yes the future is not so bright...good thing the school has basketball and wrestling to look forward to in the upcoming winters.
Midwest Hockey Pick 'em Champion 2010-2011

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:17 am

EHSHack wrote:I disagree. I felt more was expected out of Rapids this year than EP.
I agree with you HACK. Just remember, you take the top line off of most teams and all you are left with is "slim pickings". :wink:

Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 am

headsup wrote:I think Eden Prairie de-thrones Grand Rapids for "the most disappointing team".

EP - 1
Armstrong - 2
Can we Centennial 2-1 loss to Anoka

1. EP
2. Centennial
3. Grand Rapids
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

I would say that EP had an overachieving year; with the young team they put on the ice, losing almost everyone off of last year's team, having two sophomore goalies, they beat Tonka, Wayzata, Eagan. So they lose a game to a hot goalie, while they had many guys injured...yes, district game and last game of year, but losing to hot goalie 50 shots doesn't add up to most disappointed team. Considering the whole year, I have EP as one of the most surprising teams--positive in 2011/2012. If I'm a coach or parent, I look at the loss as being positive in regards to what it will do to inspire the team next year and in two years from now. Of course, stinks for the seniors. GB

rainier

Post by rainier » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 am

EP had the most disappointing loss, but not the most disappointing season. I still think GR's season as a whole is the most disappointing.

hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 am

I agree. At the beginning of the year most "experts" felt this would be a down year for EP. I think this team accomplished a lot and was very fun to watch. They played with a lot of heart and competed well Vs all the top teams. A number of injuries to key players late in the year plus a hot goalie are no reason to consider this team a disappointment.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

And Zebro.[From FL]

Milk Carton Matty #6

Post by Milk Carton Matty #6 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:34 am

old goalie85 wrote:And Zebro.[From FL]
He was with them at Bantams

Ranger101

Post by Ranger101 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm

BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
mulefarm wrote:I'm sure the Rapid faithful feel they have a lot of talent, but non bias people see average hs talent and this is reflected by their record. Two state runnerups are pretty good. Where did Trent Klatt go?
This group was in the state title game as pee wees and bantams. I think Rapids fans had every right to believe that would continue. The best team doesn't always win on a given night, and the comments above are accurate about the strategy. The games I watched online I was puzzled at how much room was given to the opponent as they entered the zone. I'm not saying "fire LaRoque", as I'm not into knee-jerk reactions. I tip my hat to Forest Lake, that was the kind of Rangers team most of us expected going into the year with that talent on their top line of Franklin and Kohls, but where were they during the regular season, Forest Lake's regular season result was horrible. 7AA will be loaded next year. Cloquet I would think will be a top 10 team, not sure about Forest Lake, East will still be good(not great), Elk River will be a top 5 team. Provided everyone returns and they stay healthy, GR should be in the top 15 mix again next year. I believe next season truly is the entire group that has gone to state title games through the youth programs.
Now there is something that I haven't heard before... :roll:
What do you mean? Look at the statistics year in and year out. 7aa is a top 3 section every year. Stats don't lie.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:13 pm

GoldenBear wrote:I would say that EP had an overachieving year; with the young team they put on the ice, losing almost everyone off of last year's team, having two sophomore goalies, they beat Tonka, Wayzata, Eagan. So they lose a game to a hot goalie, while they had many guys injured...yes, district game and last game of year, but losing to hot goalie 50 shots doesn't add up to most disappointed team. Considering the whole year, I have EP as one of the most surprising teams--positive in 2011/2012. If I'm a coach or parent, I look at the loss as being positive in regards to what it will do to inspire the team next year and in two years from now. Of course, stinks for the seniors. GB
Very true. They will be solid next yr though as this group did some serious damage as bantams.

SECBLUES

Post by SECBLUES » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:11 am

Given the criterea of what it takes to be a high school champ, I would have to say that Woodbury fits the bill nicely. They were the Bantam A state champs 2 years ago, and the Runner ups last year in Double overtime to EP. With the idealogy that this brings a HS state chamionship is true, they should have been unstoppable instead of paying and losing in their first section playin game in probably 20 years.

They do split talent with 1 public school, and three privates though. Still a very dissapointing. Showing given the youth program success. :oops:

wbmd

Post by wbmd » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 pm

SECBLUES wrote:Given the criterea of what it takes to be a high school champ, I would have to say that Woodbury fits the bill nicely. They were the Bantam A state champs 2 years ago, and the Runner ups last year in Double overtime to EP. With the idealogy that this brings a HS state chamionship is true, they should have been unstoppable instead of paying and losing in their first section playin game in probably 20 years.

They do split talent with 1 public school, and three privates though. Still a very dissapointing. Showing given the youth program success. :oops:
Make that three public schools for splitting their talent. White Bear Lake freshman Jake Whalin played on the Woodbury Bantam A team last year. If he stayed in Woodbury with his uncle, he would have been at Woodbury.

TennJed

Post by TennJed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:18 pm

I think this topic has been decided. Engrave the trophy and give it to...(drum roll please) Minnetonka !!

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm

shakey wrote:EP hands down....so far.
I didn't expect EP to contend at all, then they go and get the #2 seed in one of the toughest sections. Tough to be too disappointed with that. The loss to Armstrong was a fluke (congrats to my nephew who plays for Armstrong). Had EP won that game and went on to lose to Benilde or Minnetonka would they still top your list? Is anything other than winning it all a devastating disappointment? Are you a Yankees fan?

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:32 pm

TennJed wrote:I think this topic has been decided. Engrave the trophy and give it to...(drum roll please) Minnetonka !!
Yeah, that game against Duluth East was embarrassing as was the 22-3 season record. Hang it all on a loss to an amped up Benilde team. Another Yankees fan?

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

In no way at all has Minnetonka been the most disappointing team this year, the record and quality wins show that. They got beat by a great BSM team that quite a few people thought would be the team to stop them from going to state.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Forest Lake would gladly take that kind of a disapointing season any year!!

duluth dave

Post by duluth dave » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Has to be tonka- if splitting with DE makes your season then I guess your satisfied sitting at home.

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:55 pm

GordonBombay99 wrote:In no way at all has Minnetonka been the most disappointing team this year, the record and quality wins show that. They got beat by a great BSM team that quite a few people thought would be the team to stop them from going to state.

They are way better than BSM and FLAT OUT choked in the final. For a school struggling to get past the hurdle and win a state championship, this was a very disappointing year in the end. Nobody remembers how many wins you had....

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:In no way at all has Minnetonka been the most disappointing team this year, the record and quality wins show that. They got beat by a great BSM team that quite a few people thought would be the team to stop them from going to state.

They are way better than BSM and FLAT OUT choked in the final. For a school struggling to get past the hurdle and win a state championship, this was a very disappointing year in the end. Nobody remembers how many wins you had....
Very true they were better than BSM but they also screwed themselves over and lost to a very underrated BSM team.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Hate to say it..but its now DE. Wanted them to win, but that was a huge upset and very disappointing.

CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Biggest upset in tourney history?.... :shock: I never would have believed it.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey