Eden Prairie (13-4-1) @ Edina (16-3) 2-2-12 7pm

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am

Eden Prairie Eagles
43%
Edina Hornets
57%

Total votes: 37

FREDFLINTSTONE

Post by FREDFLINTSTONE »

zyzxx wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:I think one of EP's top line players is out for the season Injury
will be missed but wont be a game breaker. So much young varisty caliber talent has moved in to EP over the past few years; Warner, Snuggerud, Pajor. There are a few more on JV.

I have heard that Edina does not reward/encourage move ins like EP does. I guess it is a matter of developing your community kids/spirit or winning the most games.
This has to be one of the dumbest comments I have read on the forum......

Last years state champs had "zero" move in's, and over the years have lost much more home grown kids to the private sector than have moved in. Get your facts straight bud!
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Fred you are right. In the last 10 years EP has lost a bunch of great players while gaining very few if any. If you moved there you better have been pretty good! Its not like they are hurtin for warm bodies.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Edina wins 4-0. They seemed pretty dominant the whole game except for a couple stretches in the second and third period. That being said, I need to make a point I have been noticing about Edina goalie Benjamin. Every time the Eagles had a legitimate scoring chance, the net would be displaced. I counted at least 9 times in which this happened. This also happened frequently in the Minnetonka/Edina game at Pagel. When does it become delay of game?
oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 »

4-0 Hornets. Not even close.
oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 »

tonkafan77 wrote:Edina wins 4-0. They seemed pretty dominant the whole game except for a couple stretches in the second and third period. That being said, I need to make a point I have been noticing about Edina goalie Benjamin. Every time the Eagles had a legitimate scoring chance, the net would be displaced. I counted at least 9 times in which this happened. This also happened frequently in the Minnetonka/Edina game at Pagel. When does it become delay of game?
Benjamin does have a habit of bumping the net.
green4

Post by green4 »

tonkafan77 wrote:Edina wins 4-0. They seemed pretty dominant the whole game except for a couple stretches in the second and third period. That being said, I need to make a point I have been noticing about Edina goalie Benjamin. Every time the Eagles had a legitimate scoring chance, the net would be displaced. I counted at least 9 times in which this happened. This also happened frequently in the Minnetonka/Edina game at Pagel. When does it become delay of game?

usually after like the 3rd or 4th time they might call a penalty so im guessing 9 is alittle off.... Benjamin is a great goalie he is 10th in the state in save percentage as a junior and i bealive he made like 40 saves on 42 shots against tonka but im sure he ended up knocking the net off like 15 times that game :roll:
mn man

Post by mn man »

green4 wrote:

usually after like the 3rd or 4th time they might call a penalty so im guessing 9 is alittle off.... Benjamin is a great goalie he is 10th in the state in save percentage as a junior and i bealive he made like 40 saves on 42 shots against tonka but im sure he ended up knocking the net off like 15 times that game :roll:
You are right, 9 is a little off, it was 11 times
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The eagles looked like they didn't belong tonight. Tough game. Never got a bounce, no rhythm.

The bumblebees did take it too them. As much as I hate to say that. That game reminded me of the Wayzata game for the eagles. Just no real scoring chances, missing passes, not alot of team play. The reffing was a bit suspect, but cant blame them at all.. Tough loss..but I guess that's High School Hockey.
zyzxx

Post by zyzxx »

oldshad77 wrote:
Benjamin does have a habit of bumping the net.
However, he is a great kid and doing a great job with his goalie partner injured. I dont know about the nets but I am impressed with him.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

If Edina's varsity is this good, just imagine how good the Jr. Gold team is with all those seniors that should have been on the varsity but were cut in favor of youthful kids simply to get playing time for a rebuilding year. :lol:

Saturday with Edina & Tonka should be interesting. A little on the line for both clubs.

For EP, focus should clearly now be getting ready for sections, not that it wasn't the goal before. Just looks like the Lake is for the most part out of the question. Learn from the Edina & Wayzata games & be better in the upcoming Tonka, Wayzata & Edina games. Just keep building, try to get the 2 seed & get prepared as much as possible for the mayhem that will ensue with 6AA....
oldtendy35

Post by oldtendy35 »

Doc Holliday wrote:
For EP, focus should clearly now be getting ready for sections, not that it wasn't the goal before. Just looks like the Lake is for the most part out of the question. Learn from the Edina & Wayzata games & be better in the upcoming Tonka, Wayzata & Edina games. Just keep building, try to get the 2 seed & get prepared as much as possible for the mayhem that will ensue with 6AA....
My question is does EP still have a shot at first seed? Say they somehow come out of Pagel with a win, which is a long shot, does the sweep of Tonka overlook all of their losses?
hockey4ever

Post by hockey4ever »

I thought Edina was very "opportunistic" last night. I certainly don't think they dominated play. I think they just took advantage of a couple of rebounds and finished, and EP didn't look like they had much flow. I also think it was funny how many times the net came off, especially in the second period. Coincidentally it didn't come off once in the third and I don't recall if it did in the first when EP defended that goal. But if the refs don't call it why wouldn't a goalie keep doing it?
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

hockey4ever wrote:I thought Edina was very "opportunistic" last night. I certainly don't think they dominated play. I think they just took advantage of a couple of rebounds and finished, and EP didn't look like they had much flow. I also think it was funny how many times the net came off, especially in the second period. Coincidentally it didn't come off once in the third and I don't recall if it did in the first when EP defended that goal. But if the refs don't call it why wouldn't a goalie keep doing it?
A couple of D6 youth teams, and particularly Edina, have been kicking the net off repeatedly since at least Peewees. Can't remember which goalie was more prone to it, but I've never heard of it being called against Edina in all these years. I've often wondered why no coach ever said anything. Are goalies coached to do that when they can get away with it?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I have coached goalies for many years; I specifically coach them as they hard from post to post to drive through the post if necessary. The post shouldn't give but as we know most rink nets are put into place very gingerly. Also in the olden days, a two leg stack to the post was the best way to get a whistle and get the third line off of the ice. It's part of the position....but should never be done by a goalie more than once a game or only in a time of crisis. six/eight times a game is ridiculous, but once or maybe twice during a game is good goal tending. GB
edinahornetkid24

Post by edinahornetkid24 »

observer wrote:
Yes Edina must have really discouraged Hurley from moving into their program.
I get a kick out of that one. Top scorer in the amazing Edina program (9 Bantam and 9 PeeWee teams this year) isn't from Edina and was developed elsewhere. Were there special circumstances with Hurley as we all know transfers after 9th grade aren't eligible for varsity their first year.
Nope. He is from Edina.