7AA Seedings

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

rainier wrote:ER's worst loss (Anoka) is worse than GR's, (Hibbing), but ER's best win (MG) is better than GR's best win (Moorhead), that combined with the ER win in the head-to-head matchup probably gives them the higher seed. These 7AA teams really need to start scheduling each other more, this is ridiculous.
That I agree with. Still, the computer rankings have Rapids ahead of both Elk River and Andover. Elk River has lost 8 games. That is a lot. My biggest issue is with Andover, 2-3 games does not a season make. There are 24 games before Wednesday and Andover has 0 big wins outside 7AA. These teams are all so close, given Elk Rivers win over Maple Grove, and Rapids 19-6 record, Andover should be 4.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
chief22

Post by chief22 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
greenway1969 wrote:Elk River has also played the following teams twice: Maple Grove, Blaine, Eden Prairie, Centennial and Andover. All of which are better than any IRC team Rapids has played. Add Edina and Jefferson and you have a schedule that is much more difficult than Rapids' schedule. I'd like to see Rapids a 2 or 3 seed, but Elk River and Andover have earned a high seed than Rapids.
Andover certainly HAS NOT.
Did you look? They play the same teams that we do. You just make it up as you go.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Did you look? Champlin Park twice. Anoka twice. Armstrong twice. Osseo twice. Throw a game in vs. North Metro and that's 1/3 of your schedule with teams the likes of Hibbing, I Falls, and Duluth Marshall would put into running time in the 2nd period.
chief22

Post by chief22 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
rainier wrote:ER's worst loss (Anoka) is worse than GR's, (Hibbing), but ER's best win (MG) is better than GR's best win (Moorhead), that combined with the ER win in the head-to-head matchup probably gives them the higher seed. These 7AA teams really need to start scheduling each other more, this is ridiculous.
That I agree with. Still, the computer rankings have Rapids ahead of both Elk River and Andover. Elk River has lost 8 games. That is a lot. My biggest issue is with Andover, 2-3 games does not a season make. There are 24 games before Wednesday and Andover has 0 big wins outside 7AA. These teams are all so close, given Elk Rivers win over Maple Grove, and Rapids 19-6 record, Andover should be 4.
I think that's how it should be...i think ER is a better team than Andover. but again, Andover will not be seeded lower than ER. Guaranteed.
rainier

Post by rainier »

chief22 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
greenway1969 wrote:Elk River has also played the following teams twice: Maple Grove, Blaine, Eden Prairie, Centennial and Andover. All of which are better than any IRC team Rapids has played. Add Edina and Jefferson and you have a schedule that is much more difficult than Rapids' schedule. I'd like to see Rapids a 2 or 3 seed, but Elk River and Andover have earned a high seed than Rapids.
Andover certainly HAS NOT.
Did you look? They play the same teams that we do. You just make it up as you go.
What is Andover's signature win? I see nothing that comes close to GR's win over Moorhead. (tying MG doesn't cut it) They got swept by Blaine and loss to East much worse than GR did.

These teams are like paper, rock, scissors. GR is ahead of Andover due to no signature win and worse DE loss, Andover is ahead of ER by sweeping them, and ER is ahead of GR by a better signature win and head-to-head win.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

chief22 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
I think that's how it should be...i think ER is a better team than Andover. but again, Andover will not be seeded lower than ER. Guaranteed.
The coaches usually see it differently than the fans. They go mostly with what they observed about a teams talent in person. Cloquet lost to both Andover and Rapids, but their coach might think he saw a way better team in GR, and with them having a better overall record, that would be all he needs to seed them higher.
chief22

Post by chief22 »

rainier wrote:
chief22 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Andover certainly HAS NOT.
What is Andover's signature win? I see nothing that comes close to GR's win over Moorhead. (tying MG doesn't cut it) They got swept by Blaine and loss to East much worse than GR did.

These teams are like paper, rock, scissors. GR is ahead of Andover due to no signature win and worse DE loss, Andover is ahead of ER by sweeping them, and ER is ahead of GR by a better signature win and head-to-head win.
This is giving me a headache...I don't know. We'll see this week.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

chief22 wrote:
rainier wrote:
chief22 wrote: Did you look? They play the same teams that we do. You just make it up as you go.

This is giving me a headache...I don't know. We'll see this week.
pounding headache. Agreed!
It is what it is!
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

7AA
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

No matter what, someone is gonna be livid they are the 4 seed, but just have to let it go and focus on beating the team in front of you. Not sure I remember having 3 teams that are this close in arguments for seeding. Seeding arguments aside, this will be the most entertaining section to watch. Elk River is definitely a threat to knock off East and go to state. Not sure how much I believe Chase Perry can carry Andover. He is an elite goalie, but is the entire team ready for the big stage of playoffs at Amsoil Arena? This years Rapids team is a mirror image of the 2007 team that went to the state championship game. Had a U of M commit that was injured in the middle of the year and missed the entire Edina classic, the results weren't as good as expected and they came into sections as a 3 seed, kinda under the radar and surprised everyone outside Grand Rapids.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:No matter what, someone is gonna be livid they are the 4 seed, but just have to let it go and focus on beating the team in front of you. Not sure I remember having 3 teams that are this close in arguments for seeding. Seeding arguments aside, this will be the most entertaining section to watch. Elk River is definitely a threat to knock off East and go to state. Not sure how much I believe Chase Perry can carry Andover. He is an elite goalie, but is the entire team ready for the big stage of playoffs at Amsoil Arena? This years Rapids team is a mirror image of the 2007 team that went to the state championship game. Had a U of M commit that was injured in the middle of the year and missed the entire Edina classic, the results weren't as good as expected and they came into sections as a 3 seed, kinda under the radar and surprised everyone outside Grand Rapids.
I attended the East vs Maple Grove game when they were ranked #1 and #2 respectively...East had their A game going that night... and basically toyed with a very strong MG team. They also crushed Minnetonka at Excel before slipping up against them on Hockeyday for their only loss. Tonka is a very strong team. I do agree that 7AA semi-finals at the DECC and now AMSOIL are always near the top of hockey days in MN each year in terms or excitement.

However, I do not agree regarding the 2012 vs 2007 comparison. In 2007 East had a very good team but not comparable to 2012..(as they were missing Turnball and Fairchild)...Cloquet with Tyler Johnson had a better team in 2007 than 2012 and so did GR with physical man-child power forward Pat White. Cloquet knocked off East and GR beat Cloquet in the Final.

This is arguably East's best team since 1996 (better than the 1998 team IMO) and any comparisons between 2007 and 2012...are simply in-accurate. GR and the rest of 7AA have a SHOT...but the chances of East advancing are SIGNIFICANTLY higher in 2012 than they were in 2007.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Rapids beat East in 07 in the semi-finals in OT. Get your facts right.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Rapids beat East in 07 in the semi-finals in OT. Get your facts right.

You are correct DJ...I stand corrected. GR did beat East in 2007. I would point out that error if I was a GR fan too.

But referring to the 2012 GR team as a mirror image of the 2007 team...is looking at the mirror through orange tinted glasses.

Minnesota Boys' High School Hockey
2007 Section Tournaments

SECTION 7AA
Rd Date Team 1 Team 2 PS Sc
1 217 (10) Northern Lakes (7) Cambridge 2 1-11
1 217 (9) St Francis (8) Andover 2 4-5
Q 220 (5) Brainerd (4) Elk River 2 0-1
Q 220 (6) Forest Lake (3) Grand Rapids 2 1-5
Q 220 (7) Cambridge (2) Duluth East 2 0-6
Q 220 (8) Andover (1) Cloquet 2 1-4
S 224 (3) Grand Rapids (2) Duluth East 2 5-4
S 224 (4) Elk River (1) Cloquet 2 1-3
F 303 (3) Grand Rapids (1) Cloquet 2 3-1
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

hockey59 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:Rapids beat East in 07 in the semi-finals in OT. Get your facts right.

You are correct DJ...I stand corrected. GR did beat East in 2007. I would point out that error if I was a GR fan too.

But referring to the 2012 GR team as a mirror image of the 2007 team...is looking at the mirror through orange tinted glasses.

Minnesota Boys' High School Hockey
2007 Section Tournaments

SECTION 7AA
Rd Date Team 1 Team 2 PS Sc
1 217 (10) Northern Lakes (7) Cambridge 2 1-11
1 217 (9) St Francis (8) Andover 2 4-5
Q 220 (5) Brainerd (4) Elk River 2 0-1
Q 220 (6) Forest Lake (3) Grand Rapids 2 1-5
Q 220 (7) Cambridge (2) Duluth East 2 0-6
Q 220 (8) Andover (1) Cloquet 2 1-4
S 224 (3) Grand Rapids (2) Duluth East 2 5-4
S 224 (4) Elk River (1) Cloquet 2 1-3
F 303 (3) Grand Rapids (1) Cloquet 2 3-1
Jake Bischoff is at the same level as White, both Gophers. Rapids has better goaltending IMHO this year. Defense about the same, more depth and skill throughout the forward lines this year. So all in all 2012 is better.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

I haven't seen GR play this year...so other than Bishoff I really don't know how good they are....but I do know the 2007 team had at least 3 future Divison 1 players in:

Patrick White ('07) MN
Joe Stejskal ('07) Dartmouth
Sam Rendle ('09) Bemidji

so saying the 2012 team is better is a big statement.

In any event...the big difference in 2012 is Duluth East...it will take damn near a miracle for any other 7AA team to advance past them.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Rapids had 5 players in the elite league. Back in 05-07 the top line with White, Morse, and Makinen (Hicks 05-06) scored most of the goals, 2nd and 3rd lines seemed to play tight checking defense and scored some gritty goals. This year Rapids has a much more balanced scoring attack. A lot of these players on Rapids and East met each other in the section title in bantams a couple years back and Rapids won 2-1 (major upset) due in large part to the goaltending of Hunter Sheperd.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:years back and Rapids won 2-1 (major upset) due in large part to the goaltending of Hunter Sheperd.
Laroque has been alternating goalies pretty regularly this season between Flaherty and Sheppard. Do you think this is a good strategy come post season play?

I've seen both goalies play very well and not so well.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Just to change it up a bit, does anyone know if Toscano played for East last night? Appeared that Forbort jumped up to the 2nd line.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

hockey59 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:No matter what, someone is gonna be livid they are the 4 seed, but just have to let it go and focus on beating the team in front of you. Not sure I remember having 3 teams that are this close in arguments for seeding. Seeding arguments aside, this will be the most entertaining section to watch. Elk River is definitely a threat to knock off East and go to state. Not sure how much I believe Chase Perry can carry Andover. He is an elite goalie, but is the entire team ready for the big stage of playoffs at Amsoil Arena? This years Rapids team is a mirror image of the 2007 team that went to the state championship game. Had a U of M commit that was injured in the middle of the year and missed the entire Edina classic, the results weren't as good as expected and they came into sections as a 3 seed, kinda under the radar and surprised everyone outside Grand Rapids.
I attended the East vs Maple Grove game when they were ranked #1 and #2 respectively...East had their A game going that night... and basically toyed with a very strong MG team. They also crushed Minnetonka at Excel before slipping up against them on Hockeyday for their only loss. Tonka is a very strong team. I do agree that 7AA semi-finals at the DECC and now AMSOIL are always near the top of hockey days in MN each year in terms or excitement.

However, I do not agree regarding the 2012 vs 2007 comparison. In 2007 East had a very good team but not comparable to 2012..(as they were missing Turnball and Fairchild)...Cloquet with Tyler Johnson had a better team in 2007 than 2012 and so did GR with physical man-child power forward Pat White. Cloquet knocked off East and GR beat Cloquet in the Final.

This is arguably East's best team since 1996 (better than the 1998 team IMO) and any comparisons between 2007 and 2012...are simply in-accurate. GR and the rest of 7AA have a SHOT...but the chances of East advancing are SIGNIFICANTLY higher in 2012 than they were in 2007.
After watching him for 4 years with the Gophers, is that an accurate statement?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

BodyShots wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

While playing for GR, yes it is; however, with the Gophers, not at all.

8)
The Puck
LGW
gitter

Post by gitter »

BodyShots wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

I think it is. He was an outstanding high school player who found a way to light it up when it mattered. That did not transfer to his collegiate career with the Gophers.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Let's see if this gets them fired up.

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

He was just another typical Northern HS player who couldn't hack it at the D1 level joining the likes of Guyer, Ness & Spehar.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
PuckU126

Re: Let's see if this gets them fired up.

Post by PuckU126 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:He was just another typical Northern HS player who couldn't hack it at the D1 level joining the likes of Guyer, Ness & Spehar.

A year or two of playing juniors would've been better for them to make the transition from playing HS to D-1 level.

8)
The Puck
LGW
northwoods oldtimer

Re: Let's see if this gets them fired up.

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:He was just another typical Northern HS player who couldn't hack it at the D1 level joining the likes of Guyer, Ness & Spehar.

I get it, kind of like Brandon Martel? :P
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

So, who is gonna be able to post the official seedings when they are released?