Class A Rankings 2-5-12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How are East Grand Forks and Hibbing's rankings?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 am

Both Perfect
21%
Hibbing should be higher
7%
EGF should be higher
14%
Both should be higher
3%
One/both is too high
28%
One/both is too high
28%

Total votes: 29

blacklung

Post by blacklung »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
blacklung wrote:No disrespect to Hibbing as they always play Herm tough, but imo there is a much better chance of seeing STA lose to Mahtomedi or Breck to Totino.
This Herm team sits alone at the top. If were asking questions, what happens to the rankings if either Breck or STA lose?
In my opinion, not much, assuming it's to one of those teams.
-The only team left on St Thomas's schedule, in class A, they could lose to is Mahtomedi. Even if they had an off game and it was a blowout, it would be tough to drop them below anyone because of beating Breck, maybe drop below Breck since it was an OT win.
-Breck plays Totino and Blake. With a Totino loss, they may drop a spot, opinions? Losing to Blake though, I would say no.
-The reasons Hermantown is as high as they are is because of the number in the loss column and because of one team they have beaten. If you don't lose, though, they stay on the top.
The reason Hermantown is at #1 is because they are hands down the best team in class A period.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

hshockeyfan53 wrote:
blacklung wrote:No disrespect to Hibbing as they always play Herm tough, but imo there is a much better chance of seeing STA lose to Mahtomedi or Breck to Totino.
This Herm team sits alone at the top. If were asking questions, what happens to the rankings if either Breck or STA lose?
I gotta agree with you when you say that Hermantown sits alone at the top. I hear a lot of talk that this Hermantown team is the best hockey team in the state regardless of class. I even overheard a USHL scout mention that he would put his money on the Hawks were they to match up against East because of their depth on the blue line.
If you look at how they have done against common opponents with East this year it's hard to argue against that. No question it would be a great game.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

blacklung wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
In my opinion, not much, assuming it's to one of those teams.
-The only team left on St Thomas's schedule, in class A, they could lose to is Mahtomedi. Even if they had an off game and it was a blowout, it would be tough to drop them below anyone because of beating Breck, maybe drop below Breck since it was an OT win.
-Breck plays Totino and Blake. With a Totino loss, they may drop a spot, opinions? Losing to Blake though, I would say no.
-The reasons Hermantown is as high as they are is because of the number in the loss column and because of one team they have beaten. If you don't lose, though, they stay on the top.
The reason Hermantown is at #1 is because they are hands down the best team in class A period.
The computerized system much respected by this site says otherwise. It's funny how people use that system to support their points but then when convenient they simply ignore it and say SOS doesn't matter.

That being said, after the analysis of their games against Class A opponents, I saw that they are very close with St Thomas. It is unfortunate they do not play each other.

I have them there because of popular demand and the number in the loss column. It is very difficult to compare two teams with very different schedules, who don't play each other and don't play the few common opponents they have at the same time in their schedule.

To say they are hands down the best team in Class A is not correct. But it will be good to see their offense match up with St Thomas' defense when they play again.
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
blacklung wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: In my opinion, not much, assuming it's to one of those teams.
The computerized system much respected by this site says otherwise. It's funny how people use that system to support their points but then when convenient they simply ignore it and say SOS doesn't matter.

That being said, after the analysis of their games against Class A opponents, I saw that they are very close with St Thomas. It is unfortunate they do not play each other.

I have them there because of popular demand and the number in the loss column. It is very difficult to compare two teams with very different schedules, who don't play each other and don't play the few common opponents they have at the same time in their schedule.

To say they are hands down the best team in Class A is not correct. But it will be good to see their offense match up with St Thomas' defense when they play again.
Wow, that's so nice of you to put them there because of "popular demand". lol
If you believe Sta is the best team then you should put them at #1 and deal with the popular demand.
I have not seen many if any post in this forum that disputes Herm at #1 except for you...
HShockeywatcher

blacklung wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
blacklung wrote: The reason Hermantown is at #1 is because they are hands down the best team in class A period.

Wow, that's so nice of you to put them there because of "popular demand". lol
If you believe Sta is the best team then you should put them at #1 and deal with the popular demand.
I have not seen many if any post in this forum that disputes Herm at #1 except for you...
HShockeywatcher wrote:The computerized system much respected by this site says otherwise. It's funny how people use that system to support their points but then when convenient they simply ignore it and say SOS doesn't matter.
I get messages often from individuals giving me insight and comments on different top teams. Most who don't post their comments on the board are tired of the 3-5 posters who re-post the same broad statements over and over and make declarations that have little claim at this point.

After comparing Class A stats, it is very even. Who you prefer is your opinion, it is really a coin flip at this point. But way to continue to ignore the main points of my post and respond to minor details you want to laugh at.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Hermantown is 16 - 0 against decent teams.
STA is 13 - 4 agiansts decent teams (not counting the loss to Shattuck).

Hermantown is better.

By March we will know the best team.
In the mean time you can read whatever you wnat into SOS, game scores, SOG, D1 prospects, etcetera.

Hermantown has proven that on any given night they beat their opponent.
STA has proved that they are capable of losing.

If Hermantown loses a game does that make STA, Breck, Mrshall any better.
Well, that depends doesn't it.

But in the menatime, I give no credenace to computer rankings, STA HSHW thought process or alot of others.

I, too, speak with a lot of people that have watched a lto of hockey over the years. adn are in the position of hockey 'experts'.

Right now Hermantown is the best A school in Minnesota. The debate about oe=verall will go on, but I tell you I would drive to Duluth on a work night to see that game.

And, no, I was not asking HSHW to explain his thought process ondropping Htown to #3.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Being a Hibbing fan, of course I would love to see them upset Hermantown. I went to the game last season thinking that if Hibbing could stay within 3 goals, it would be a moral victory that would build confidence for the playoffs. They surprised everyone by tying Hermantown 2-2 in a fantastic game, and then went on a great playoff run.

I will be going to the game again this season, and once again I am hoping Hibbing stays within 3 goals. An upset would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully Mahtomedi or Totino can pull an upset tonight to shake things up and give us more reasons to argue. :D
HShockeywatcher

elliott70 wrote:Hermantown is 16 - 0 against decent teams.

Hermantown is better.

In the mean time you can read whatever you wnat into SOS, game scores, SOG, D1 prospects, etcetera.

But in the menatime, I give no credenace to computer rankings, STA HSHW thought process or alot of others.

I, too, speak with a lot of people that have watched a lto of hockey over the years. adn are in the position of hockey 'experts'.

Right now Hermantown is the best A school in Minnesota. The debate about oe=verall will go on, but I tell you I would drive to Duluth on a work night to see that game.

And, no, I was not asking HSHW to explain his thought process ondropping Htown to #3.
Someone's being pretty generous to come up with a number like 16 :shock:

Bottom line, they are the two teams who are both undefeated against Class A teams and both are 2-0 against their common opponents. When you look just at their Class A games (which is probably the most reasonable way to compare the two) they are very similar. One is better in some areas, the other better in others. One scores a lot, one allows few goals.

If you like to dismiss SOS, then you are living in some fantasy world. It is tough (I've I point out often) to compare teams with much different schedules. Would Boise have played LSU if they hadn't lost? Personally, I doubt it. It's because schedule matters.

St Thomas has lost to 4 teams this season. 3 are for sure way better than any team the Hawks have played this year and the third could be but is a rival, so it's hard to tell. They are very even and it'll be a great game if they play again. No one in this thread has denied that or said that St Thomas is for sure better than the other. I'm not going to make that claim.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

edit
rainier

Post by rainier »

With Totino's pummeling of Breck, it appears TRF will become the first non Big 3 team to crack the top 3. The only question is, does Breck slide to 5 after Duluth Marshall's obliteration of Virginia last night?
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

rainier wrote:With Totino's pummeling of Breck, it appears TRF will become the first non Big 3 team to crack the top 3. The only question is, does Breck slide to 5 after Duluth Marshall's obliteration of Virginia last night?
Ratings are an opinion and a snapshot in time, as rainier, I believe, is correctly pointing out.

Each week there will be give games that change opinions.

I agree that TRF should now move up based on the current situation.

Then, as I hope will happen, EGF will knock off TRF next week and jumble things all up again.

Oh,by the way Mark = nice win by Burrrrrrrrrrrrrmide last nigh.

Also, I see no reason why Hermytown should not be #1.
They have played well all season and deserve it.

My $.02 worth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

rainier wrote:With Totino's pummeling of Breck, it appears TRF will become the first non Big 3 team to crack the top 3. The only question is, does Breck slide to 5 after Duluth Marshall's obliteration of Virginia last night?
Where is Goldy when you need a laugh?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Or 6 or 7????
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

TTpuckster wrote:
Ratings are an opinion and a snapshot in time, as rainier, I believe, is correctly pointing out.

Each week there will be give games that change opinions.

I agree that TRF should now move up based on the current situation.

Then, as I hope will happen, EGF will knock off TRF next week and jumble things all up again.

Oh,by the way Mark = nice win by Burrrrrrrrrrrrrmide last nigh.

Also, I see no reason why Hermytown should not be #1.
They have played well all season and deserve it.

My $.02 worth. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Warroad has a good team, but lack discipline (appears to come form the guy standing behind the players with his arms crossed).

I think TRF will win next week but lose the one that counts a couple of weeks after that.
HShockeywatcher

There is clearly only a "big 2" at this point...
I don't know that it is that cut and dry.
Breck/TRF are both 2-2 against their common opponents.
A couple score comparisons:
TG 6
TRF 4

TG 7
Breck 4

Moorhead 7
TRF 0

Moorhead 5
Breck 3

Blake 2
TRF 4

Blake 5
Breck 8

DM 2
TRF 4

DM 5
Breck 7

Based on those, who is better? Really tough to say. Has anyone seen both play?

Also, thoughts on what to do with Totino? They have lost to both Blake and EGF.

The rankings aren't so cut and dry anymore after the top 2.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HSHW, agreed, it is tough to say. I would move TRF past Breck simply because I think losing to Roseau in OT isn't as bad as losing to T-G 7-4, and when two teams are that close, the most recent results usually determine who gets the higher ranking.

Things are getting interesting as we close in on the playoffs, I love it.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

rainier wrote:HSHW, agreed, it is tough to say. I would move TRF past Breck simply because I think losing to Roseau in OT isn't as bad as losing to T-G 7-4, and when two teams are that close, the most recent results usually determine who gets the higher ranking.

I wouldn't move Breck down too far...teams on their remaining schedule shouldn't count on scoring four goals on two major penalties and five power play goals altogether! Breck simply gave this one away and probably learned a lesson.
HShockeywatcher

rainier wrote:HSHW, agreed, it is tough to say. I would move TRF past Breck simply because I think losing to Roseau in OT isn't as bad as losing to T-G 7-4, and when two teams are that close, the most recent results usually determine who gets the higher ranking.

Whoa! The stars must be aligning if we are agreeing on something more than 2 posts in a row.

MNHockeyFan is why I'm asking for input. I could justify not dropping them, as I could also justify dropping them a few spots. Although, if they drop, one spot seems the most realistic, maybe two. Although anywhere they drop to it would turn into more teams above teams they've lost to, which can be problematic.
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

HSHW I agree with Blacklung put Sta back at 1. Don't listen to popular demand- posting more often makes you more popular. But there was a scout at a game that said the Hawk D corp was so good they would beat East. Very convincing! Don't pay attention to facts and stats that's just science. It just shows that your team is number 1. SOS not only hurts the Hawks in the rankings it will hurt them at crunch time. Let's say overtime at the X in the finals...... Wait that was last year :shock:
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:Hermantown is 16 - 0 against decent teams.

Hermantown is better.

Someone's being pretty generous to come up with a number like 16 :shock:

Bottom line, they are the two teams who are both undefeated against Class A teams and both are 2-0 against their common opponents. When you look just at their Class A games (which is probably the most reasonable way to compare the two) they are very similar. One is better in some areas, the other better in others. One scores a lot, one allows few goals.

If you like to dismiss SOS, then you are living in some fantasy world. It is tough (I've I point out often) to compare teams with much different schedules. Would Boise have played LSU if they hadn't lost? Personally, I doubt it. It's because schedule matters.

St Thomas has lost to 4 teams this season. 3 are for sure way better than any team the Hawks have played this year and the third could be but is a rival, so it's hard to tell. They are very even and it'll be a great game if they play again. No one in this thread has denied that or said that St Thomas is for sure better than the other. I'm not going to make that claim.
Really? You can't be serious? 3 are for sure WAY better then ANYONE Hermantown has played? OK, so I know that Hermantown easily handled Grand Rapids on the road and Grand Rapids lost by one goal to Edina on the road. Not seeing Edina as being that WAY better squad, looking @ their results up & down tells me enough. Duluth East, well...like everyone else, wish Hermantown & them would play. Could've happen the only way STA gets to play them via Schwan's as I heard Hermantown could've been in it, but they like the Thief River trip. DE hasn't dominated the same teams in any easier manner then Hermantown when they've played "like" opponents days apart. So, without that matchup. Ok, so you have Hill, not even a top 10 team this year and then Shattuck. But Edina being WAY better? The Spuds even lost to Grand Rapids @ Rapids when Rapids was down. But back to all these comparisions... I just have to say... watch your words... because I think you're WAY OFF! :wink:
HShockeywatcher

Just Checking wrote:HSHW I agree with Blacklung put Sta back at 1. Don't listen to popular demand- posting more often makes you more popular. But there was a scout at a game that said the Hawk D corp was so good they would beat East. Very convincing! Don't pay attention to facts and stats that's just science. It just shows that your team is number 1. SOS not only hurts the Hawks in the rankings it will hurt them at crunch time. Let's say overtime at the X in the finals...... Wait that was last year :shock:
Not sure how much sarcasm there is in there and your posts seems to be going back and forth. That being said, I stand by my rankings after the last HM loss.

Despite their more difficult SOS the Cadets have only allowed 5 more goals this season than the Hawks and have wins over Breck/TG/Maht on their schedule. The Hawks also have a win over TG and TRF, with an additional win over Rapids. So, it's really a toss up. Hermantown simply hasn't played teams of the caliber (maybe one depending on who you ask) of the teams St Thomas has lost to. That's not a slight to them, they just haven't. Does that give either team the edge? No, it makes them very close, as they were. Were I to have ties in my rankings, I'd have them tied, but needing to break it, it goes to Hermantown.

Is one or the other "hands down the best team in state" and "night and day better than the other"? No, but Hermantown gets the nod because of their Rapids win. Maybe with the Breck loss we'll get to see Hermantown play both Breck and St Thomas at STAte. :-$
HShockeywatcher

cooperalls4ever wrote:
Really? You can't be serious? 3 are for sure WAY better then ANYONE Hermantown has played? OK, so I know that Hermantown easily handled Grand Rapids on the road and Grand Rapids lost by one goal to Edina on the road. Not seeing Edina as being that WAY better squad, looking @ their results up & down tells me enough. Duluth East, well...like everyone else, wish Hermantown & them would play. Could've happen the only way STA gets to play them via Schwan's as I heard Hermantown could've been in it, but they like the Thief River trip. DE hasn't dominated the same teams in any easier manner then Hermantown when they've played "like" opponents days apart. So, without that matchup. Ok, so you have Hill, not even a top 10 team this year and then Shattuck. But Edina being WAY better? The Spuds even lost to Grand Rapids @ Rapids when Rapids was down. But back to all these comparisions... I just have to say... watch your words... because I think you're WAY OFF! :wink:
So, since Hermantown beat Rapids and Rapids last to Hibbing, does that mean we think the Hawks will play them close? Or this, that or the other thing? No, one game comparisons don't work. Never have, most likely never will.

That's all.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

[quote="cooperalls4ever"]
Really? You can't be serious? 3 are for sure WAY better then ANYONE Hermantown has played? OK, so I know that Hermantown easily handled Grand Rapids on the road and Grand Rapids lost by one goal to Edina on the road. quote]

Really? You're going to go with this?

Grand Rapids lost to Hibbing
Hibbing lost to Mayo
Mayo lost to Red Wing
Red Wing lost to Northfield
Northfield lost to New Ulm
New Ulm lost to Marshall
Marshall lost to Luverne
So by my count that make 3 teams in 3A better than Grand Rapids and only 1 goal worse than Edina.

You can play this game forever. Hermantown may be the best team in Class A but their schedule isn't as tough as St. Thomas' by any stretch.[/b]
Redlight

Post by Redlight »

elliott70 wrote:
Or 6 or 7????[/quote

Should still be 3 but the coach is going to have to get these guys under control penalty wise if they are going to make any noise in March. They seem to get big and stupid penalties by the bunch. Is he losing the team?
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

goldy313 wrote:
cooperalls4ever wrote: Really? You can't be serious? 3 are for sure WAY better then ANYONE Hermantown has played? OK, so I know that Hermantown easily handled Grand Rapids on the road and Grand Rapids lost by one goal to Edina on the road. quote]

Really? You're going to go with this?

Grand Rapids lost to Hibbing
Hibbing lost to Mayo
Mayo lost to Red Wing
Red Wing lost to Northfield
Northfield lost to New Ulm
New Ulm lost to Marshall
Marshall lost to Luverne
So by my count that make 3 teams in 3A better than Grand Rapids and only 1 goal worse than Edina.

You can play this game forever. Hermantown may be the best team in Class A but their schedule isn't as tough as St. Thomas' by any stretch.[/b]
What I'm going to go with is you can spin it any way you'd like on STA losing 4-5 games every year to top 20 AA schools... please name some they beat? What I do know is Hermantown has beat two Top 20 AA teams on the road. Please let me know the ones STA has beat? Thought so, they get a crack @ #20 Roseau. I see nothing special for SOS past those 4-5 AA games they lose, even laugh at how Tarten ends up on DE schedule to close out their season, but DE won't stay home and play Hermantown or D.Marshall, I guess they need that double digit win. Maybe like STA and their conference foes they beat by double digits every year, Hermantown needs to schedule teams like Ashland twice? Don't forget what looks like Hermantown's possible wins over 9 different top 20 A teams, while STA would have beat 5 didfferent A teams in top 20. Are we still on SOS?

I had to reply because another spin doctor wanted to say how WAY better 3 and maybe 4 teams on STA schedule were then ANYONE Hermantown had played... that was worth ROTFL over! sorry...just had to bring up the simple truth and your spin technique can't even compare as I can tell you have absolutely no clue by the great depth you spent digging for...well, I just don't know, but keep digging. :lol: