Class A Rankings 2-5-12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How are East Grand Forks and Hibbing's rankings?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:28 am

Both Perfect
21%
Hibbing should be higher
7%
EGF should be higher
14%
Both should be higher
3%
One/both is too high
28%
One/both is too high
28%

Total votes: 29

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 2-5-12

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Not much change from last week. The only real change is the addition of Hibbing where it seems like they could be in the rankings. There are clear leaders in both section 6A and 3A this week in Little Falls and New Ulm so there is no need to post standings on those sections.

Hermantown plays another close game that results in a win while St Thomas shuts out a top team and scores 8 goals against a team who held them to 1 earlier. I did an analysis of the two teams last week and against Class A teams, their stats are almost identical. They are clearly the top two teams and it is really up to a matter of what you think of the other games on their schedule to how you'd compare the two. The top seed at state is now the Hawk's to lose though and the two will likely meet again at the X.

1. Hermantown (21-0) [12-0]
The Hawks played another close game, albeit an away game, to keep their perfect record and clinch the Lake Superior Conference title. With the way they have been winning, I’m still not sold on them being the best team, but if they win their section, the top seed at state is most likely theirs to lose at this point.
This week: Tues @ Duluth Denfeld, Sat vs Red Wing

2. St Thomas Academy (15-5) [10-0]
After shutting out Totino-Grace and beating a SSP team 8-1 they earlier only managed one goal on, the Cadets can secure section runner up this week. Most likely a good game on Thursday that St Thomas shouldn’t overlook.
This week: Thurs vs Mahtomedi, Sat vs Tartan

3. Breck (17-2) [13-1]
Breck allowed 3 goals to Lourdes in their win yesterday keeping their winning going, but continuing to allow an alarming number of goals to teams it would seem they are playing down to. Should be two easy conference games along with hosting a Totino-Grace team who played what was on paper a pretty even game with St Thomas.
This week: Tues @ Minnehaha Academy, Thurs vs Totino-Grace, Sat vs St Paul Como Park

4. Thief River Falls (16-3-2) [13-2-1]
The Prowlers had an uneventful week beating a couple lower teams by a combined score of 11-1. Tomorrow they travel to Roseau to play a team they tied to start the season. Can they keep the winning going before playing East Grand Forks again next week?
This week: Mon @ Roseau, Thurs vs Red Lake Falls

5. Duluth Marshall (16-6) [13-4]
Shutting out Denfeld is a great accomplishment, can they keep the winning going and secure the top spot in 7A this week with a win in Virginia? With losses to the 4 teams above them but a Totino win, the Hilltoppers will need an upset to be seeded at state.
This week: Thurs @ Virginia, Sat @ Superior

6. Blake (14-7) [13-2]
The Bears seem to be right where they should as they have beaten Totino and Mahtomedi but lost to TRF. After watching their away game against Breck, I wouldn’t count them out for their home rematch to close out the season. Win that game and they should be the top seed in the section and anything’s possible for the Bears who are playing good hockey as of late. Lourdes, two section opponents and Breck left before sections.
This week: Tues vs Rochester Lourdes, Sat @ Providence Academy

7. Totino-Grace (13-7) [10-5]
They Eagles showed they can play with the best this week by only allowing one goal to St Thomas. They should be the #2 seed in the section and will give the Cadets a run for their money. Two good away games this week shouldn’t be good for the Eagles. How will they do against Breck?
This week: Tues vs Tartan, Thurs @ Breck, Sat @ Benilde-St Margaret’s

8. St Cloud Cathedral (16-4) [16-5]
A good ‘ol fashion trouncing of Little Falls shows that not only is Cathedral’s defense as good as everyone says it is but they can score as well. Should be a good 5 games to close out the season with 4 being on the road. Can the Crusaders win in Rogers to get the #2 seed in section 5A?
This week: Tues @ Orono, Fri @ Hutchinson, Sat vs Princeton

9. Mahtomedi (13-9) [9-4]
Losing to North St Paul doesn’t look great, but the Zephyrs are never a team to count out as they have lost to Breck, St Thomas, Blake and Totino all by a combined 7 goals. They are playing well against good teams. This Thursday they travel to Mendota Heights for a chance to make seeding section 4A a nightmare. Can the Zephyrs upset the Cadets this week?
This week: Thurs @ St Thomas

10. East Grand Forks (14-8 ) [10-1]
Is 10 too low? I would love to hear what people think as the Green Wave have a win over #7 Totino on their schedule and are only down here because of doing poorly against good AA teams and losing to TRF. In my opinion their destiny is still in their hands; they are clearly top 2 in 8A and possibly #1 depending on how they play TRF next week. Either way, they will likely be playing the Prowlers twice more, with the 3 meeting carrying the most weight.
This week: Tues @ Kittson Central

11. Hibbing (11-9) [10-3]
Because of their unique schedule, the Bluejackets are hard to gauge. There was demand for them so I plopped them above a Little Falls team they beat in the first game of the season. Their record may not look great, but their Class A losses are to my #5, #9 and a one goal upset over two months ago. How will they do against Rapids the second go around?
This week: Mon @ Grand Rapids, Fri @ Eveleth-Gilbert

12. Little Falls (16-7) [16-7]
The Fliers are playing good hockey as of late but showed they definitely can have off games. Was the bad game in St Cloud an off night or an indication that Little Falls cannot play with the big dogs? We will find out next week
This week: Tues vs St Cloud Apollo, Thurs @ Princeton

13. Warroad (11-10-1) [7-7]
The Warriors did something this week no one in their section has done yet; beat Roseau. They are definitely a good team and come state, I doubt anyone would be surprised if they were the 8A representative. Can they do something this week EGF hasn’t done yet and beat Bemidji?
This week: Mon vs Grand Forks Central, Thurs @ Bemidji

14. Delano (16-6) [12-5]
Going into Orono and shutting them out this week should seal up the #3 seed in section 2A for Delano. The Tigers are playing good hockey right now and they could definitely do some damage in sections.
This week: Sat @ Litchfield

T15. Rochester Lourdes (14-7) [9-5]
The Eagles played a relatively close game with Breck and have to turn around and travel to Blake three days later. Lourdes will likely make it to state out of section 1A; will they be the #1 seed? We will find out Saturday.
This week: Tues @ Blake, Thurs vs Rogers, Sat @ New Prague

T15. Rogers (15-5-1) [6-5]
The Royals have interestingly only played 11 Class A teams this season. They have also not lost in their last 10 games, which is a great streak; they could win both away games this week and not rise in the rankings this week. The game they need to be worried about is hosting St Cloud Cathedral next Tuesday.
This week: Thurs @ Rochester Lourdes, Sat @ Moose Lake Area
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Nice job with the rankings HSHW. EGF's ranking may seem low to some, but with their recent losses it's hard to justify them being any higher than they are. I think Hibbing at 11 works, but teams 11-15 could be in any order and it would be tough to argue against it.
northern_guy

Post by northern_guy »

Great job on rankings but I think Little Falls is trending a bit high right now after the convincing whoopin they took Saturday night to SCC.
HShockeywatcher

northern_guy wrote:Great job on rankings but I think Little Falls is trending a bit high right now after the convincing whoopin they took Saturday night to SCC.
I'm going to wait to drop them too far, especially since the team they lost to is ranked ahead of them.

Look at Edina, got shut out 6-0 to Tonka in their first meeting, then won the second meeting and OT in the 3rd. One game doesn't make a season.
So, not only do I not want to push a team down too much based on one game, they have been doing good things in their previous 10. Also, there really isn't anyone that stands out, to me, to be deserving of a higher spot.

That's just me though.
HShockeyupnorth

Post by HShockeyupnorth »

Whatcher: Blake did not beat D Marshall. They did not play.
HShockeywatcher

HShockeyupnorth wrote:Whatcher: Blake did not beat D Marshall. They did not play.
Corrected. Thanks
HShockeywatcher

How does the Hibbing over Rapids results change/solidify views of Hibbing? I can definitely justify putting them above Mahtomedi because the Zephyrs also went to OT, but lost. I don't like one game comparisons to say something like that, but it is tough with Hibbing's schedule.

Or maybe they should be #3 since Hermantown's beating Rapids is many's justification for them being better than Breck. So is Hibbing better than Breck now? :shock:
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

HShockeywatcher wrote:How does the Hibbing over Rapids results change/solidify views of Hibbing? I can definitely justify putting them above Mahtomedi because the Zephyrs also went to OT, but lost. I don't like one game comparisons to say something like that, but it is tough with Hibbing's schedule.

Or maybe they should be #3 since Hermantown's beating Rapids is many's justification for them being better than Breck. So is Hibbing better than Breck now? :shock:
Based on the last 3 or 4 games, I think you have Breck rated too high. Hibbing always plays well later in the year as they have a very good coach.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HShockeywatcher wrote:How does the Hibbing over Rapids results change/solidify views of Hibbing? I can definitely justify putting them above Mahtomedi because the Zephyrs also went to OT, but lost. I don't like one game comparisons to say something like that, but it is tough with Hibbing's schedule.

Mahtomedi beat Hibbing 5-3, can't put Hibbing ahead of them at this point. And Hermantown destroyed a healthy Rapids team while Hibbing scraped by in OT vs a Rapids team that was missing 4 regular skaters. No comparison there.

Moorhead spanked Breck, Rapids beat Moorhead, and Hermantown spanked Rapids. Even more evidence Hermantown should be ahead of Breck.

Now if Hibbing upsets Hermantown next week...
elliott70

Re: Class A Rankings 2-5-12

Post by elliott70 »

1. Hermantown
2. St Thomas Academy
3. Thief River Falls
4. Duluth Marshall
5. East Grand Forks
6. Breck
7. St. Cloud Cathedral
8. Blake
9. Totino-Grace
10. Mahtomedi
11. Hibbing
12. Warroad
13. Rogers
14. Little Falls
15. Delano
HShockeywatcher

flatontheice wrote:

Based on the last 3 or 4 games, I think you have Breck rated too high. Hibbing always plays well later in the year as they have a very good coach.
Which team(s) that Breck beat do you want them below? Whether you like them or hate them, the comparisons don't hold. In any comparison, Breck is superior to TRF and has beaten #5, #6, #7, #8 and #9.
rainier wrote:Mahtomedi beat Hibbing 5-3, can't put Hibbing ahead of them at this point. And Hermantown destroyed a healthy Rapids team while Hibbing scraped by in OT vs a Rapids team that was missing 4 regular skaters. No comparison there.
So you mean to tell me one game comparisons don't work? :shock:

No way. The question was a joke. Sorry for that; I know how sensitive some are. I believe it illustrated the point just fine.

I was hoping more for responses on Hibbing
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
flatontheice wrote:

Which team(s) that Breck beat do you want them below? Whether you like them or hate them, the comparisons don't hold. In any comparison, Breck is superior to TRF and has beaten #5, #6, #7, #8 and #9.
rainier wrote:Mahtomedi beat Hibbing 5-3, can't put Hibbing ahead of them at this point. And Hermantown destroyed a healthy Rapids team while Hibbing scraped by in OT vs a Rapids team that was missing 4 regular skaters. No comparison there.
So you mean to tell me one game comparisons don't work? :shock:

No way. The question was a joke. Sorry for that; I know how sensitive some are. I believe it illustrated the point just fine.

I was hoping more for responses on Hibbing
Fair enough but I do think TRF's is better than Breck. You do a great job with these. Thanks
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Like rainier said, its a good win for Hibbing, but has to be put into perspective due to the number of players Grand Rapids had out of the lineup. I wouldn't change much based on that result. Certainly doesn't hurt them, but it really doesn't give a clear indication that they should move up. We will get a better indicator when they play Hermantown and Virginia again.
HShockeywatcher

Lourdes 6
Blake 2
:-k

Thoughts on EGF?
scoutingthenorth

Post by scoutingthenorth »

If hibbing beats hermantown next week do you put them ahead of them?
HShockeywatcher

scoutingthenorth wrote:If hibbing beats hermantown next week do you put them ahead of them?
Doubt it. One game doesn't/hasn't defined a season. They'd be at #3, where they'll end up if they lose any of their remaining games.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
scoutingthenorth wrote:If hibbing beats hermantown next week do you put them ahead of them?
Doubt it. One game doesn't/hasn't defined a season. They'd be at #3, where they'll end up if they lose any of their remaining games.
You should clarify that they would be #3 on your list.
HShockeywatcher

elliott70 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
Do you mean "why they would be"?

If the Hawks end up losing a remaining game, which I doubt they will, they will have wins over the #4, #5, #7 and #8 teams, as well as a loss to a team either not ranked or in the 11-15 range.
St Thomas will be the only team undefeated against Class A opponents so they will be #1. Breck has the same wins as Hermantown, but add #6 and #9 to that list and will have their only loss to the #1 team.

I doubt anyone not from the city of Hermantown would keep them at #1 if they lost to LF, Hibbing or Red Wing.
Hawkyfan70

Post by Hawkyfan70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: Doubt it. One game doesn't/hasn't defined a season. They'd be at #3, where they'll end up if they lose any of their remaining games.

If the Hawks end up losing a remaining game, which I doubt they will, they will have wins over the #4, #5, #7 and #8 teams, as well as a loss to a team either not ranked or in the 11-15 range.
St Thomas will be the only team undefeated against Class A opponents so they will be #1. Breck has the same wins as Hermantown, but add #6 and #9 to that list and will have their only loss to the #1 team.

I doubt anyone not from the city of Hermantown would keep them at #1 if they lost to LF, Hibbing or Red Wing.
I imagine if he meant why, he would have said why
The Hawks will always be #1 on my list
HShockeywatcher

Hawkyfan70 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote: You should clarify that they would be #3 on your list.

I doubt it; I give elliott enough credit to understand the bold part of my original statement where I clearly (the adj. clarify comes from) stated "they'd be at #3."
Hawkyfan70

Post by Hawkyfan70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Hawkyfan70 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote: Do you mean "why they would be"?

I doubt it; I give elliott enough credit to understand the bold part of my original statement where I clearly (the adj. clarify comes from) stated "they'd be at #3."
and his response was to clairfy that they would be number 3 on YOUR list
not that you should explain your reason for them being 3rd

of course we are both making assumptions on how an old(er than me) notherner thinks
HShockeywatcher

I'm not making any assumptions. A question was asked of me and I clearly stated what I would do (my rankings are the only ones I have control over).
blacklung

Post by blacklung »

No disrespect to Hibbing as they always play Herm tough, but imo there is a much better chance of seeing STA lose to Mahtomedi or Breck to Totino.
This Herm team sits alone at the top. If were asking questions, what happens to the rankings if either Breck or STA lose?
HShockeywatcher

blacklung wrote:No disrespect to Hibbing as they always play Herm tough, but imo there is a much better chance of seeing STA lose to Mahtomedi or Breck to Totino.
This Herm team sits alone at the top. If were asking questions, what happens to the rankings if either Breck or STA lose?
In my opinion, not much, assuming it's to one of those teams.
-The only team left on St Thomas's schedule, in class A, they could lose to is Mahtomedi. Even if they had an off game and it was a blowout, it would be tough to drop them below anyone because of beating Breck, maybe drop below Breck since it was an OT win.
-Breck plays Totino and Blake. With a Totino loss, they may drop a spot, opinions? Losing to Blake though, I would say no.
-The reasons Hermantown is as high as they are is because of the number in the loss column and because of one team they have beaten. If you don't lose, though, they stay on the top.
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

blacklung wrote:No disrespect to Hibbing as they always play Herm tough, but imo there is a much better chance of seeing STA lose to Mahtomedi or Breck to Totino.
I gotta agree with you when you say that Hermantown sits alone at the top. I hear a lot of talk that this Hermantown team is the best hockey team in the state regardless of class. I even overheard a USHL scout mention that he would put his money on the Hawks were they to match up against East because of their depth on the blue line.