Average Rankings in Both Classes 2

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Average Rankings in Both Classes 2

Post by HShockeywatcher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Using LPH, FTP, Hub, PageStat and Ushsho, I averaged the five to get an average ranking in both classes. The Hub only goes to 12 or 13 so the lists will only be slightly over 10 teams. In both classes there are some very close teams.

Class AA
1. Duluth East (1.4)
2. Minnetonka (1.8 )
3. Maple Grove (3.4)
4. Eagan (3.6)
5. Edina (4.4)
6. Eden Prairie (6.4)
7. Moorhead (7.2)
8. Grand Rapids (9.4)
8. Wayzata (9.4)
10. Benilde (10.2)
11. Lakeville S (10.4)
12. Hill-Murray (10.8 )

Class A
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )
3. Breck (2.4)
4. Duluth Marshall (4.6)
5. Thief River Falls (5)
6. Cathedral (7)
6. Totino-Grace (7)
8. East Grand Forks (7.8 )
9. Lourdes (9.6)
10. Blake (10)
10. Mahtomedi (10)
12. Delano (11)
13. Warroad (13.4)
14. Little Falls (13.8 )
Last edited by HShockeywatcher on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teak

Re: Average Rankings in Both Classes 2

Post by Teak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:24 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:Using LPH, FTP, Hub, PageStat and Ushsho, I averaged the five to get an average ranking in both classes. The Hub only goes to 12 or 13 so the lists will only be slightly over 10 teams. In both classes there are some very close teams.
Not a bad way to do rankings, HS....nice.

:!:

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:21 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:Class A
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )
Of course you put your alma mater on top, HSHW. :wink:

8)
The Puck
LGW

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:30 am

PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
By virtue of getting 3 #1's Hermantown should be the #1 even if they average the same # of points.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 am

elliott70 wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
By virtue of getting 3 #1's Hermantown should be the #1 even if they average the same # of points.
It is a TIE. They're both #1. Look at the number in front of them.

I could say the opposite; by virtue of having no #3 rankings, St Thomas should be ahead. But I'm not; they are tied.

Also, there is more weight on the list from polls.

Teak

Post by Teak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
It is a TIE. They're both #1. Look at the number in front of them.

I could say the opposite; by virtue of having no #3 rankings, St Thomas should be ahead. But I'm not; they are tied.

Also, there is more weight on the list from polls.
Or, perhaps you need to go to 3 or 4 significant features; i.e., more decimals.

Teak

Post by Teak » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 am

Oh oh HShockeywatcher, you got Teak involved in your quest and that sometimes spells trouble. :?

Here is what I came up with, using the five polls that you listed:

LPH+FTP+HH+PS+USHSO= Total / 5
Herm 1+1+1+3+1 = 7 / 5 = 1.4
StTA 2+2+2+1+2 = 9 / 5 = 1.8

It looks like Hermantown comes out on top with an average of 1.4, and STA is second with 1.8. Are the above numbers the ones that you used?

Because the PageStat rankings are combined with the AA schools, I put STA at 1, Breck at 2, and Hermantown at 3 as they are the top three A schools in their ranking, in that order.

blacklung

Post by blacklung » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 am

PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
HSHW, you just can’t stand it that there is a small public school ahead of your private STA alma mater.
How much would you pay me if I secretly file all the Hawk’s skates before their game on Saturday?
I could make a special trip down to H-town.
Maybe they would lose then and you could put your team back at #1 in your rankings! :)

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:08 am

Teak wrote:Oh oh HShockeywatcher, you got Teak involved in your quest and that sometimes spells trouble. :?

It looks like Hermantown comes out on top with an average of 1.4, and STA is second with 1.8. Are the above numbers the ones that you used?

Because the PageStat rankings are combined with the AA schools, I put STA at 1, Breck at 2, and Hermantown at 3 as they are the top three A schools in their ranking, in that order.
Not sure what you are looking at, but this is the page (which is linked from PageStat):
http://www.ushsho.com/mnrank.htm

Breck is 1st in there, St Thomas 2nd and Hermantown 3rd.
blacklung wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
HSHW, you just can’t stand it that there is a small public school ahead of your private STA alma mater.
How much would you pay me if I secretly file all the Hawk’s skates before their game on Saturday?
Maybe they would lose then and you could put your team back at #1 in your rankings! :)
This has nothing to do with any specific school. It is a way to instead saying "X school is ranked Yth in state because Z poll says so" to use the 5 best ranking systems we have in the state and average them. That's all. I started doing it last year, I did it about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I will again in a week or two.

It's funny that no one has an issue with Grand Rapids, Cathedral or Blake being listed after the teams they're TIED with. I didn't make up any numbers, I just added, divided, and listed the teams. I have no hidden agenda, just getting more information out there.

Northern Defender

Post by Northern Defender » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am

No hidden agenda my ars.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Teak wrote:Oh oh HShockeywatcher, you got Teak involved in your quest and that sometimes spells trouble. :?

Not sure what you are looking at, but this is the page (which is linked from PageStat):
http://www.ushsho.com/mnrank.htm

Breck is 1st in there, St Thomas 2nd and Hermantown 3rd.
blacklung wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
1. St Thomas (1.8 )
1. Hermantown (1.8 )

8)
This has nothing to do with any specific school. It is a way to instead saying "X school is ranked Yth in state because Z poll says so" to use the 5 best ranking systems we have in the state and average them. That's all. I started doing it last year, I did it about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I will again in a week or two.

It's funny that no one has an issue with Grand Rapids, Cathedral or Blake being listed after the teams they're TIED with. I didn't make up any numbers, I just added, divided, and listed the teams. I have no hidden agenda, just getting more information out there.
There is no such thing as best...
each prove to be wrong, week in and week out.

Who says no one has an issue with it...
the point is you have a built -in bias, we accept that, but you keep coming back with what ever works for you to get STA at the top of the heap...

most 'people' do not believe that...

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 am

elliott70 wrote: There is no such thing as best...

the point is you have a built -in bias, we accept that, but you keep coming back with what ever works for you to get STA at the top of the heap...

Okay, sorry. Substitute "best" with "most credible" or whatever adjective you'd like to use.
Not sure how a poll based on what has happened in the past can prove to be "wrong" in the future, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I took 30 seconds and made all the ties listed alphabetical, instead of what they were. That better?

You are welcome to "believe" whatever you want. I am a guy who likes numbers and high school hockey. That is all. I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone by finding some averages and making a list.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:40 am

Top 12 and I see Grand Rapids, but no Andover, and no Elk River. Kinda says something doesn't it?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
elliott70 wrote: There is no such thing as best...

Okay, sorry. Substitute "best" with "most credible" or whatever adjective you'd like to use.
Not sure how a poll based on what has happened in the past can prove to be "wrong" in the future, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I took 30 seconds and made all the ties listed alphabetical, instead of what they were. That better?

You are welcome to "believe" whatever you want. I am a guy who likes numbers and high school hockey. That is all. I am truly sorry if I have offended anyone by finding some averages and making a list.
Yes, that is much better.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Top 12 and I see Grand Rapids, but no Andover, and no Elk River. Kinda says something doesn't it?
That these systems of ranking can overlook things???

:D

slyer

Post by slyer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:47 am

yea it shows how off they are on gr, losing to a class a team that isn't rated and there rated 8th? now thats funny

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:56 am

elliott70 wrote:Yes, that is much better.
:roll: