St. Lukes All-Star Game

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:09 pm

They really should rename this thing. The Iron Range Conference has only one AA school in hockey (Grand Rapids - and technically, they are not part of the actual Iron Range) and yet this team only has 3 players from Class A teams on the roster. Unless they opted not to participate (and some actually do due to other obligations), there are other players that were definitely overlooked. A couple that come to mind are:
Brett Kivela, Eveleth
Blair Seitz, Virginia
Marc Krebsbach, Virginia
Tyler Goodrie, Virginia
Lucas Debenedet, I Falls
Mason Meyer, I Falls
Brett Musich, I Falls
Joe Anderson, Hibbing

I'm sure there are a couple others as this was just off the top of my head. I don't see the need to load this thing up with Bemidji and Brainerd players unless kids from the Range teams are turning this down.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm

WHO PICKS THIS TEAM?

DEBENEDET WOULD BE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE IR TEAM.

WHO DO I CALL???

DeBenedet go fd.

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:07 pm

elliott70 wrote:WHO DO I CALL???
Ghostbusters!

8)
The Puck
LGW

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:12 pm

east hockey wrote:Gotta love it when two brand spanking new posters agree on an issue. And then happen to share the same IP address. Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Lee
But they are right!

:twisted: :evil: :x

elliott70

Re: All Star Team- DeBenedet,,,,,,

Post by elliott70 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 pm

nortstar52 wrote:
Barrelstove wrote:I have to agree, if this Int'l Falls player is leading the league in points this in itself puts him on the team does it not?? How is the team picked? Just by judging a kid as a good player?? Is this team not picked by statistics? The top player in points [ fact ] is not selected for this team? I have no kids in high school hockey so I am questioning the integrity of how this all star team gets chosen. Seems to me the Falls boy, DeBenedet, IS the leading star!!
It is suppose to be the top players, points have nothing to do with it. These teams play ely, two harbors, silver bay, ashland, give me a break. If that's the case then throw a couple ankle benders from greenway & eveleth on the team. I did see the DeBenedet kid play a few games this year and I agree he should be on the team because of his talent not his point totals!
You are right.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 am

The game is March 13 at 7:15 @Amsoil. There is a skills competition at 5:45.

http://www.kernz.com/v2/html/event_01.html

Here is a link to their site. I read the thread from last year regarding this game and it said the northern MN team won but on the site it says Duluth has 14 wins including 2011, hmm :?

I would like to go to this even though some people didnt sound to excited about it based on last years thread. Anyone else have any experiences attending the game? Fun? Boring?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 am

FightingSioux5 wrote:i would say mondry, underwood, flaherty, bischoff, and (peterson, but probably to young as soph?) stejskal hasn't been very good all year but maybe because he played in it last year. horsemann before him and possibly simonson and mann before koerbitz.
[/quote] I'm not sure that Underwood will be able to play in the game considering the recent injury that he suffered during practice[/quote]

I believe he was hurt on Jan. 31. The Rapids hopeful kept eyeing the date for the section final game because he may have been healthy to go...but anyways it will be about 6 weeks from injury to Allstar game. I think he will be able to suit up.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Gonzo56

St. Luke's All-Star Game

Post by Gonzo56 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Would this be the first year ever that the IRC scoring leader is not on
the Iron Range All-Star team? I can understand players from Bemidji on
the team, but isn't Brainerd closer to the twin cities than it is to Northern
Minnesota. I would rather see Warroad and Roseau players in the game,
a true Northern Minnesota game. Regarding Lucas DeBenedet from Int'l
Falls, he is a two-way player and I have researched some of his statistics
in reference to his point totals against the weaker teams on the schedule.
He had 61 points in 27 games this year, an average of 2.26 pts/game. In
the 4 games in the last month(Jan.27th-Feb.25th) against Grand Rapids
(2 games) and Hibbing(2 games) he scored 5 goals and had 4 assists, a
2.25 pts/game average. Sounds pretty consistent to me. 4 goals in 2 games against Grand Rapids. How many goals did the 3 Bemidji players
score against rapids when they lost 6-1. Just a common opponent, used
for comparison. He also has 9 short handed goals ( a SH hat trick in the Little Falls game)..not an easy thing to do. Does politics and friends enter into the selection process?
Int'l Falls was rated #3 in section 7A, but is the only team in the top 6 teams without a player in this game. How does that happen?

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

elliott70 wrote:WHO PICKS THIS TEAM?

WHO DO I CALL???

DeBenedet go fd.
From last years thread: Teams are chosen by the coaches. Each coach nominates players from their respective team. That list is compiled and sent out for voting by those same coaches. Coaches cannot vote for their own players, and then all the votes are collected and tabulated. Iron Range nominates and votes for their team and Duluth does the same. i.e. Duluth coaches do not vote for IR kids etc..

Link to last years thread.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26267
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

Kernz

2012 ROSTER REVISION

Post by Kernz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Due to an injury Travis Underwood (Grand Rapids) will be a scratch for the game. Added to the roster is Lucas DeBenedet, a junior from International Falls, who was originally selected as an alternate.

Updated rosters can be found at www.kernz.com

###

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:56 pm

north_bear wrote:
elliott70 wrote:WHO PICKS THIS TEAM?

WHO DO I CALL???

DeBenedet go fd.
From last years thread: Teams are chosen by the coaches. Each coach nominates players from their respective team. That list is compiled and sent out for voting by those same coaches. Coaches cannot vote for their own players, and then all the votes are collected and tabulated. Iron Range nominates and votes for their team and Duluth does the same. i.e. Duluth coaches do not vote for IR kids etc..

Link to last years thread.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26267
The problem with this process is that Brainerd and Bemidji never see the likes of Virginia, Hibbing, Internaitonal Falls, Greenway, Ely or Eveleth and vice versa. How can they cast a vote for players they have never seen? Even Grand Rapids doesn't see Eveleth, Greenway, or Ely. Its a very flawed process now that all the teams do not play each other.

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Anybody thinking about attending?
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

scoutingthenorth

Post by scoutingthenorth » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 pm

Joe Anderson should be on this team! To make it as a junior then not as a senior is a joke

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:50 pm

north_bear wrote:Anybody thinking about attending?
No. It was quite boring last year and to have it at Amsoil is kind of a joke. Probably would be a better atmosphere at Heritage

HockeyFan_11

Post by HockeyFan_11 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:33 am

Anyone know where I can find full stats for this game?

nortstar52

Post by nortstar52 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:50 am

HockeyFan_11 wrote:Anyone know where I can find full stats for this game?
wednesdays duluth paper.

nortstar52

Re: All Star Team- DeBenedet,,,,,,

Post by nortstar52 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Barrelstove wrote:I have to agree, if this Int'l Falls player is leading the league in points this in itself puts him on the team does it not?? How is the team picked? Just by judging a kid as a good player?? Is this team not picked by statistics? The top player in points [ fact ] is not selected for this team? I have no kids in high school hockey so I am questioning the integrity of how this all star team gets chosen. Seems to me the Falls boy, DeBenedet, IS the leading star!!
I don't recall seeing his name in the scoring column, and being the top scorer I find that hard to believe :roll: must have been a miss print

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 pm

HockeyFan_11 wrote:Anyone know where I can find full stats for this game?
Iron Range 3-1-1—5
Duluth 2-4-3—9

First period1. IR, Matt Pohlkamp, 0:13; 2. IR, Jake Bischoff, 3:52; 3. D, Judd Peterson (Brian LeBlanc, Brett Bukowski), 4:27; 4. D, Beau Michaud (Josh Cisar, Ben Campbell), 9:22; 5. IR, Bischoff (Jordy Stejskal, Mitch McLain), 10:28.

Second period 6. D, Peterson (Levi Talarico, LeBlanc), 0:28; 7. D, Nolan Holcombe (Cisar), 1:39; 8. D, Dom Toninato (Michaud), 2:22; 9. D, Cisar (Michaud, Holcombe), 9:45; 10. IR, Nate Mondry (Aaron Rich, Derek Judnick), 10:53.

Third period 11. D, Toninato (Jared Kolquist, Nate Repensky), 1:36; 12. IR, Mondry (Pohlkamp, Rich), 5:50; 13. D, Kolquist (Toninato), 8:30; 14. D, Trevor Olson (Holcombe, Campbell), 11:48.

Saves Patrick Flaherty, IR, 10; Erikur Arnason, IR, 11; Zach Thompson, D, 15; John Scheuer, D, 9.

Co-MVPs Jared Kolquist and Nate Repensky.

Skills Competition
Breakaway — Erikur Arnason, 8 saves on 10 shots; shot accuracy — Josh Cisar, 4 of 5 shots made; hardest shot — Derek Judnick, 92 mph; fastest skater — Levi Talarico, 15 seconds.

Backcheck1

Post by Backcheck1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Did Randolph play in this game? I don't see his name in the recap.

Cornermukker

Post by Cornermukker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 am

Yes, Randolph played with Tontinato and Olson on a line.

nortstar52

Post by nortstar52 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 am

Cornermukker wrote:Yes, Randolph played with Tontinato and Olson on a line.
there like trimease triplets, they'll never survive when separated :D

observer

Post by observer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:45 am

So, Cisar a goal and 2 assists and Randolf zero points even skating with his regular linemates.

I can't figure out why people put down small school scorers. Scorers score. Frankly, if you gave him linemates like Randolf's he'd score even more than he did.

Along those lines, another player who's scoring stats were discounted a couple of years ago, Joey Benik, was just named first team All BCHL.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:19 am

nortstar52 wrote:
All 3 will do just fine after high school. Toninato has the highest upside of the 3 followed by Olson and Randolph for long term development. The kids come out of a great program that knows how to develop which will help them a lot.
The Cisar kid can sure shoot the puck hope all the best to him in the future. Will be nice to watch him in some events this spring. Hope he makes Great 8 team. Best wishes to all senior kids moving on in pursuit of hockey.

Scouting Players

Post by Scouting Players » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
nortstar52 wrote:
All 3 will do just fine after high school. Toninato has the highest upside of the 3 followed by Olson and Randolph for long term development. The kids come out of a great program that knows how to develop which will help them a lot.
The Cisar kid can sure shoot the puck hope all the best to him in the future. Will be nice to watch him in some events this spring. Hope he makes Great 8 team. Best wishes to all senior kids moving on in pursuit of hockey.
yes cisar will be in the great 8 tourny. the paperwork ha been mailed back and he is registared to play. also i had to ask what one randolph was out there and his name was on the back of his jersey. :p for getting all these awards im yet to figure out how he earned them. he was unnoticed at the state tourney and could do a thinh in st lukes all star game. st lukes all star game, east line went -1, thomas jud line went -1 and cisar michaud line went +5. somethings i just dont get.

Cornermukker

Post by Cornermukker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 am

It was an all star game that quite honestly means very little. It was played very casual for the most part.

Cisar can shoot the puck and is a good sized kid. He seems to put jimself in the right position from what I could tell. His skating needs work but again it was an all star game and most of the boys were having fun playing.