SECTION 8AA OFFICIAL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

2012 Section 8AA Champion?

Moorhead
59%
Bemidji
18%
Brainerd
12%
Roseau
10%

Total votes: 49

tonkafan77

SECTION 8AA OFFICIAL

Post by tonkafan77 »

I don't know if there is already a topic about this but even if there is, here is one fresh without any arguing over seeds :lol:

QUARTERFINALS

1) Moorhead
Winner of 8) Monticello and 9) Becker

5) Buffalo
4) Roseau

3) Brainerd
6) St. Cloud Tech

2) Bemidji
Winner of 7) River Lakes and 10) Northern Lakes

Who's coming out? Is it even a question?
Upnorth hockey fan #21

Re: SECTION 8AA OFFICIAL

Post by Upnorth hockey fan #21 »

tonkafan77 wrote:I don't know if there is already a topic about this but even if there is, here is one fresh without any arguing over seeds :lol:

QUARTERFINALS

1) Moorhead
Winner of 8) Monticello and 9) Becker

5) Buffalo
4) Roseau

3) Brainerd
6) St. Cloud Tech

2) Bemidji
Winner of 7) River Lakes and 10) Northern Lakes

Who's coming out? Is it even a question?
Im curious as to see who Roseau will use at goalie through playoffs. Jared strand out with a supposed strained groin. You would think Mike Tangen would get the start being the senior who has gotten several games this year and has done pretty well, But Lundbohm decides to start a sophomore Ryan Anderson who gets the win. I feel their best bet it to start Mike or hope that Ryan anderson will stand up enough but i do not think he will have enough experience to stand up against the tougher matchups they will see in sections. I think Jared Strand should be the third option but he has been Lundbohms favorite the past couple years so i guess we will soon see.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

Why do they determine section seedings before the season is even over?
hocnut

section 8aa seedings

Post by hocnut »

Well I think we will get some idea of what young Mr. Anderson can do tonite, the Rams host a tough EGF team he'll be tested for sure.
RoseauHockeyFan

Roseau's not an option in the poll?

Post by RoseauHockeyFan »

I can't help but notice that Roseau is not even an option in the poll for section 8 champs. It seems to imply that it's impossible for Roseau to win. However, Roseau won its most recent game against Bemidji, and they pushed Moorhead into a tight OT victory. The Rams don't seem to match up well with Brainerd (Brainerd's strengths exploit Roseau's weaknesses), so hopefully they won't have to face them again in the sections.

Roseau certainly has an uphill battle to go to state, but it's certainly not so impossible as to leave them off the poll.
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Roseau's not an option in the poll?

Post by east hockey »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:I can't help but notice that Roseau is not even an option in the poll for section 8 champs. It seems to imply that it's impossible for Roseau to win. However, Roseau won its most recent game against Bemidji, and they pushed Moorhead into a tight OT victory. The Rams don't seem to match up well with Brainerd (Brainerd's strengths exploit Roseau's weaknesses), so hopefully they won't have to face them again in the sections.

Roseau certainly has an uphill battle to go to state, but it's certainly not so impossible as to leave them off the poll.
I have added Roseau.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
RoseauHockeyFan

Re: Roseau's not an option in the poll?

east hockey wrote:
RoseauHockeyFan wrote:I can't help but notice that Roseau is not even an option in the poll for section 8 champs. It seems to imply that it's impossible for Roseau to win. However, Roseau won its most recent game against Bemidji, and they pushed Moorhead into a tight OT victory. The Rams don't seem to match up well with Brainerd (Brainerd's strengths exploit Roseau's weaknesses), so hopefully they won't have to face them again in the sections.

I have added Roseau.

Lee

Thanks Lee.
hocnut

section 8aa

Post by hocnut »

Well we didnt learn much about Anderson last night never tested. Both goals ere weak the second coming with a wrist shot from outside the blue line. It was parents night last night for the seniors and Lundbohm did a pretty good job of getting all of them ice time. All of them but senior goaltended Mike Tangen who with his 7-2 record and .899 save % sat it out on the bench, unreal! Numbers like that would be good enuf for most coaches, wouldn't they???
RoseauHockeyFan

Re: section 8aa

hocnut wrote:Well we didnt learn much about Anderson last night never tested. Both goals ere weak the second coming with a wrist shot from outside the blue line. It was parents night last night for the seniors and Lundbohm did a pretty good job of getting all of them ice time. All of them but senior goaltended Mike Tangen who with his 7-2 record and .899 save % sat it out on the bench, unreal! Numbers like that would be good enuf for most coaches, wouldn't they???
I agree. Tangen should have been in net not only because it was senior night, but also because he's performed well enough to have earned the start.
RoseauFan

Post by RoseauFan »

RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
hocnut wrote:Well we didnt learn much about Anderson last night never tested. Both goals ere weak the second coming with a wrist shot from outside the blue line. It was parents night last night for the seniors and Lundbohm did a pretty good job of getting all of them ice time. All of them but senior goaltended Mike Tangen who with his 7-2 record and .899 save % sat it out on the bench, unreal! Numbers like that would be good enuf for most coaches, wouldn't they???
I agree. Tangen should have been in net not only because it was senior night, but also because he's performed well enough to have earned the start.
Whether you like it or not, Tangen has 0 wins this year against Moorhead, Bemidji and Brainerd. His best win is either Grafton/Park River or Holy Family. And if the coaching staff is trying to figure out if Anderson is going to be their guy in the playoffs then he should have played last night and again tomorrow afternoon.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. This team is a goalie away from being a serious contender.
RoseauHockeyFan

RoseauFan wrote:
RoseauHockeyFan wrote:
Whether you like it or not, Tangen has 0 wins this year against Moorhead, Bemidji and Brainerd. His best win is either Grafton/Park River or Holy Family. And if the coaching staff is trying to figure out if Anderson is going to be their guy in the playoffs then he should have played last night and again tomorrow afternoon.

Numbers don't tell the whole story. This team is a goalie away from being a serious contender.

I wouldn't count the two Moorhead losses against Tangen since he didn't play in either of those two games.

As far as being just a goalie away from being a serious contender, I think you need to check the stats. The goal production drops off sharply after the first line. In fact, you can pretty much count all the goals for the entire season from the third line forwards on just one hand. If not for Strand and Yon, Roseau would have had a rough season. Seriously, were another solid line and a couple of defensemen away from being a serious contender.
RoseauFan

Post by RoseauFan »

I wouldn't count the two Moorhead losses against Tangen since he didn't play in either of those two games.

As far as being just a goalie away from being a serious contender, I think you need to check the stats. The goal production drops off sharply after the first line. In fact, you can pretty much count all the goals for the entire season from the third line forwards on just one hand. If not for Strand and Yon, Roseau would have had a rough season. Seriously, were another solid line and a couple of defensemen away from being a serious contender.[/quote]

His two losses are a 4-3 loss to Bemidji and a 5-1 loss to Brainerd. Not saying either of the senior tenders shouldn't be playing but at the same time neither one of them has earned the spot based on performance.

Wouldn't small town teams especially expect their top line to score the bulk of goals, the 2nd line to maybe chip in 1 or 2 and the 3rd line to not just get scored on? It's like you want someone on each line to have 40+ points.

We have the guys to make a run at the section title. Our defense has enough talent and last night especially they decided to play defense and move the puck and looked probably better than they have all year. What we have going for us is that neither Moorhead or Bemidji are super talented on the offensive end so we just need to try squeak out a 2-1 or 3-2 W.

And lastly, why do people say "Without X and X we would be terrible". Well no kidding! Take away any teams two best players and they aren't going to be as good. What a dumb comment. Take away Bitzer from the Spuds and I bet they aren't the #1 seed.
RoseauHockeyFan

RoseauFan wrote:I wouldn't count the two Moorhead losses against Tangen since he didn't play in either of those two games.

As far as being just a goalie away from being a serious contender, I think you need to check the stats. The goal production drops off sharply after the first line. In fact, you can pretty much count all the goals for the entire season from the third line forwards on just one hand. If not for Strand and Yon, Roseau would have had a rough season. Seriously, were another solid line and a couple of defensemen away from being a serious contender.
His two losses are a 4-3 loss to Bemidji and a 5-1 loss to Brainerd. Not saying either of the senior tenders shouldn't be playing but at the same time neither one of them has earned the spot based on performance.

Wouldn't small town teams especially expect their top line to score the bulk of goals, the 2nd line to maybe chip in 1 or 2 and the 3rd line to not just get scored on? It's like you want someone on each line to have 40+ points.

We have the guys to make a run at the section title. Our defense has enough talent and last night especially they decided to play defense and move the puck and looked probably better than they have all year. What we have going for us is that neither Moorhead or Bemidji are super talented on the offensive end so we just need to try squeak out a 2-1 or 3-2 W.

And lastly, why do people say "Without X and X we would be terrible". Well no kidding! Take away any teams two best players and they aren't going to be as good. What a dumb comment. Take away Bitzer from the Spuds and I bet they aren't the #1 seed.[/quote]

The reason people say "Without X and X we would be terrible" is because the fact is depth is what ultimately creates the serious contenders. It's not a dumb comment, it's a spot on observation. You take away the top two players on any of the current top 10 teams they go from great to really good. You take away Roseau's top two players and we'd go from good to bad. Roseau's 2007-2008 team had 6 players with 40+points and 9 players with 13+ goals. It was depth that made that team great, not just Ness and Landman or even Lee.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Monticello on to its 4th coach in the last 5 years and still sitting in 8th spot. Whats happening up there? Didnt the parents hand pick this coach after getting rid of 4 qualified coaches.
hocnut

section 8aa official

Post by hocnut »

Roseau looked very very good last night, they played great positional hockey and moved the puck as well as I have seen this year. They for sure look like they are ready to make some noise in the playoffs. As strong as they looked offensively they looked as good as they have defesively. Hope they make a run!
elliott70

Re: section 8aa official

Post by elliott70 »

hocnut wrote:Roseau looked very very good last night, they played great positional hockey and moved the puck as well as I have seen this year. They for sure look like they are ready to make some noise in the playoffs. As strong as they looked offensively they looked as good as they have defesively. Hope they make a run!
Moorhead, Brainerd and Bemidji looked pretty good last night, also.
hocnut

section 8aa official

Post by hocnut »

Wow you are a magic man how did you get to see them all?
Syd Barrett

Re: section 8aa official

Post by Syd Barrett »

hocnut wrote:Wow you are a magic man how did you get to see them all?
Elliott's got good connections :wink:
hipcheck

Post by hipcheck »

The top 4 all won. It is an open section. All have performed well, with let downs at times. But, it elimination time. I see the Spuds and Brainerd in the finals. Bemidji and Roseau will have to play at their best to be in the finals. Both of those teams could win the semifinals. But, I think its the Spuds all the way!