Transfers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

just overall I think when a kid transfers it's selfish and disloyal, unless obviously if the kid is forced to do it.
Bobby C

Transfers

Post by Bobby C »

According to responses, here are transfer counts for programs mentioned here so far: Looks like Eagan and Edina are tied for the most transfers of the AA state tourney field.

Burnsville: 1
Duluth East: 2
Edina: 3
Eagan: 3
Morehead: 1
Blaine: 4
MG: 1
Tonka: 1
STA: 1

(by the way, I am familar with "Rule Follower", good kid, good family, could definitely afford attorney. nice to see them following the rules)

Remember, for purposes of argument here "transfer" refers to public school player that did not play in the youth program, and private school kid that did not start there in 9th grade. No judgement on motivations or whether they are legit or not.
zdog

Post by zdog »

I believe that Fidler played peewees and Munson played two years of Bantams in Edina. Only Hurley meets your criteria for a transfer.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

zdog wrote:I believe that Fidler played peewees and Munson played two years of Bantams in Edina. Only Hurley meets your criteria for a transfer.
Likewise, only one player from East (Skoog) qualifies by these standards. The rest all spent at least some time in the youth program.
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

I would say this kid's parents have the issues. Constantly transferring your kids to different schools when things don't work out "hockey wise". What kind of message does that send your child?
Hound

Re: Transfers

Post by Hound »

Bobby C wrote:According to responses, here are transfer counts for programs mentioned here so far: Looks like Eagan and Edina are tied for the most transfers of the AA state tourney field.

(by the way, I am familar with "Rule Follower", good kid, good family, could definitely afford attorney. nice to see them following the rules)

Remember, for purposes of argument here "transfer" refers to public school player that did not play in the youth program, and private school kid that did not start there in 9th grade. No judgement on motivations or whether they are legit or not.
Dylan Steman meets your criteria (not sure if he's the one counted above. He doesn't live in Dayton/Rogers if that's the reference). He played for Buffalo Youth Hockey through Bantams and went right to MG for high school, though I believe he sat out his sophomore year due to the transfer rules. He never played for Buffalo's high school team.
bandersnatch

Post by bandersnatch »

Maple Grove has 3 recruits....

Champlin Park A Bantam

Drew Aspinwall D

Kyle Koop G

Buffalo

Dylan Steman F
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Bobby C wrote:According to responses, here are transfer counts for programs mentioned here so far: Looks like Eagan and Edina are tied for the most transfers of the AA state tourney field.

The problem I have with this list is that it includes kids who, like "Rule Follower" definitely have followed the rules. Locals might not like it when a 9th grader open enrolls into a high school outside of their youth hockey association area, but they haven't done anything that runs counter to MSHSL's transfer policy.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I heard a bemidji goalie and his older sister possibly transferring to roseau or warroad next year anyone else heard this.
Bobby C

Post by Bobby C »

almostashappy wrote:

The problem I have with this list is that it includes kids who, like "Rule Follower" definitely have followed the rules. Locals might not like it when a 9th grader open enrolls into a high school outside of their youth hockey association area, but they haven't done anything that runs counter to MSHSL's transfer policy.
I hear you Almost Happy. But I am not sure how else to seperate wheat from Chaf. (i.e. rule followers from the smug ones that do just curcumvent it with a phony living arrangement). My assumption is that hockey programs that have significant numbers of transfers, legit or not, are most likely doing something to attract hockey players other than providing great educational opportunities. I am sure it would not be due to recruiting :wink: but it is interesting how these programs happen to get key talent from other places. Sitting out a year or a 9th grade open enrollment situation is technically legit. But I do think of the kids and the families/neighbors of the kids who for years have paid the taxes on the local arena, bought the fundraising pizzas, only to see the kid sent packing when the transfers come calling. It just doesn't sit right with me.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I think you missed 2 teams with the most transfers BSM and Hill Murray
gardetto

Post by gardetto »

Cobber wrote:I think you missed 2 teams with the most transfers BSM and Hill Murray
I think they are talking about PUBLIC schools,
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

transferprobs wrote:the MSHSL would not do anything, just because his family can afford to own a house in two different cities does not give him a right to get around the rule. If he really wanted to go to edina he would have gone there freshman year.
Look for a change at some point as soon as someone has the means and motivation to fight it because the transfer rules as they sit right now are unconstitutional and the MSHSL knows it. They have no grounds to enforce them in the court of law. When open enrollment was legislated by the State of Minnesota and good old Rudy Perpich in 1987, the bill clearly included athletics as a part of that legislated right. The MSHL has come in and circumvented a legislated right which will never hold up in court. Not to mention US constitutional rights of freedom of religion. The problem is that no one has fought it yet because it will take at least a year in the courts while that kid would be ineligible because the athletic director must enforce the MSHSL rules while it is being litigated.

Not saying that I think the MSHSL rule is wrong but its not legal as it is written.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

gardetto wrote:
Cobber wrote:I think you missed 2 teams with the most transfers BSM and Hill Murray
I think they are talking about PUBLIC schools,
When did STA become public?

Transfers should only be described as playing on two different HS teams. Meaning someone moved from one school to another after freshman year. Otherwise it is not a transfer....
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

flatontheice wrote:The MSHL has come in and circumvented a legislated right which will never hold up in court. Not to mention US constitutional rights of freedom of religion.
Yeah, because playing varsity hockey in Minnesota is a form of religious expression.....can I get an amen!
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

almostashappy wrote:
flatontheice wrote:The MSHL has come in and circumvented a legislated right which will never hold up in court. Not to mention US constitutional rights of freedom of religion.
Yeah, because playing varsity hockey in Minnesota is a form of religious expression.....can I get an amen!
That is really funny. You are really good. I am certain the average person on here knew what I meant. Religious rights protected by the Constitution include your choice to send your kid to a religious school of your choice without prejudice. The US Constitution didn't say you had to make that choice by 9th grade or else.
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

mulefarm wrote:I'm sure Edina has more academic opportunities that Connor felt were in his best interests. Once he made that decision, I'm sure he found out they played hockey and decided to give it a try!

Mulefarm,
I stumbled on to your line "I'm sure he found out they played hockey and decided to give it a try" and just busted a gut again. Great sense of humor! Thanks!
Teak

Post by Teak »

almostashappy wrote:
AMEN!!! :lol:
Outoftowner

Post by Outoftowner »

flatontheice wrote:
almostashappy wrote:
That is really funny. You are really good. I am certain the average person on here knew what I meant. Religious rights protected by the Constitution include your choice to send your kid to a religious school of your choice without prejudice. The US Constitution didn't say you had to make that choice by 9th grade or else.

Don't forget the fundamental, Life, liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness listed in the Declaration of Independence. :D

I think many of these transfer whiners are forgetting that its not really their business what a family does and an individual family SHOULD, in this country, have a right to pursue educational and athletic "happiness" wherever they desire.

Rules that limit or remove this fundamental freedom, should always be frowned upon. It amazes me that so many of you feel it is within the bounds of reality and fairness that you should control other families' educational and athletic desires and wish to punish those who feel they should be free to pursue such happiness.

You and the MNSHL should mind your own business and stay out of individual families lives.
gardetto

Post by gardetto »

Outoftowner wrote:
flatontheice wrote:
almostashappy wrote: Yeah, because playing varsity hockey in Minnesota is a form of religious expression.....can I get an amen!

Don't forget the fundamental, Life, liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness listed in the Declaration of Independence. :D

I think many of these transfer whiners are forgetting that its not really their business what a family does and an individual family SHOULD, in this country, have a right to pursue educational and athletic "happiness" wherever they desire.

Rules that limit or remove this fundamental freedom, should always be frowned upon. It amazes me that so many of you feel it is within the bounds of reality and fairness that you should control other families' educational and athletic desires and wish to punish those who feel they should be free to pursue such happiness.

You and the MNSHL should mind your own business and stay out of individual families lives.
Well put Outoftowner,
observer

Post by observer »

stay out of individual families lives.
Fine. Do it before 9th grade.
gardetto

Post by gardetto »

observer wrote:
stay out of individual families lives.
Fine. Do it before 9th grade.

Why before 9th grade
observer

Post by observer »

I meant before the first day of 9th grade for 9th grade. Through open enrollment any player can go to any school he wants, space available, providing they transfer prior to the first day of 9th grade.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

observer wrote:I meant before the first day of 9th grade for 9th grade. Through open enrollment any player can go to any school he wants, space available, providing they transfer prior to the first day of 9th grade.
Actually students can open enroll after 9th grade, provided the new school has room and accepts them. If so they are then subject to the special rules that regulate athletic eligibility.