Lakeville South vs Winona? Please tell me this is false...

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Master Recruiter

Lakeville South vs Winona? Please tell me this is false...

Post by Master Recruiter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Just got home from the EP-Armstrong game tonight and was searching box scores on mnhockeyhub. I click through the games, and see Lakeville South defeated Winona 19-0. I then see Mr. Hockey candidate Justin Klooos with 8 assists. I am thinking to myself; how is this possible? I then check the box score and see he had 2 assists in the 3rd period including one with 15 seconds to go in the game up 18-0. Did the South coach really have him on the ice in this situation?

Please tell me this is a mistake. Was anyone at the game to see this?

Snap Happy

Re: Lakeville South vs Winona? Please tell me this is false.

Post by Snap Happy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Master Recruiter wrote:Just got home from the EP-Armstrong game tonight and was searching box scores on mnhockeyhub. I click through the games, and see Lakeville South defeated Winona 19-0. I then see Mr. Hockey candidate Justin Klooos with 8 assists. I am thinking to myself; how is this possible? I then check the box score and see he had 2 assists in the 3rd period including one with 15 seconds to go in the game up 18-0. Did the South coach really have him on the ice in this situation?

Kloos could end up being the state points leader when all's said and done this year. Why wouldn't coach allow him to rack up the points? He's worked hard and had a great career - doesn't he deserve it??? Plus to have a player bring that title to their town is a pretty good thing for hockey there.... Just my opinion.

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 pm

...this was a classy move by lakeville south... hope someone runs the score up on them or puts the body to their mr. hockey, way to keep it classy metro hockey :roll: :oops: :roll:

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm

If they make it to state, IF :) It will be two and done!! Lakeville South classy place on both sides of hockey. Did their girls team make it this year? Ooops...

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm

2good4u wrote:...this was a classy move by lakeville south... hope someone runs the score up on them or puts the body to their mr. hockey, way to keep it classy metro hockey :roll: :oops: :roll:
can you confirm this is actually correct? was anyone from the board there?

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 pm

2good4u wrote:...this was a classy move by lakeville south... hope someone runs the score up on them or puts the body to their mr. hockey, way to keep it classy metro hockey :roll: :oops: :roll:
The LS coach should be put out to pasture - NOW!!! To be fair to Justin Kloos, he scored 2 goals in the first period, and none thereafter. It seems obvious from the box score that he stopped trying to score goals after the first period. If the coach keeps sending him over the boards in the 2nd and 3rd periods, what is he supposed to do? He should have been in street clothes to watch the second period. His coach (for lack of a better term) kept sending him over the boards. I guess the only thing he could have done is refuse to go on the ice when the coach said it was his turn. All things considered, I think Justin Kloos did as well as can be expected from a player put in that awful position. IMHO

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:45 pm

I won't loose any sleep over this! Glad Winona is AA and STA, Breck, Warroad and other hockey powers can play A.

2good4u

Post by 2good4u » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Master Recruiter wrote:
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/show/30 ... ason=66599

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Neuuman wrote:
The LS coach should be put out to pasture - NOW!!! To be fair to Justin Kloos, he scored 2 goals in the first period, and none thereafter. It seems obvious from the box score that he stopped trying to score goals after the first period. If the coach keeps sending him over the boards in the 2nd and 3rd periods, what is he supposed to do? He should have been in street clothes to watch the second period. His coach (for lack of a better term) kept sending him over the boards. I guess the only thing he could have done is refuse to go on the ice when the coach said it was his turn. All things considered, I think Justin Kloos did as well as can be expected from a player put in that awful position. IMHO
I agree; in the stands once it is double digits

Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:50 pm

2good4u wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:
I saw this but was hoping someone could confirm that went to the game. I guess I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the coach that the top line wasn't on the ice up 18-0 late in the 3rd

SEMNHOCKEYFAN

Post by SEMNHOCKEYFAN » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:56 pm

Master Recruiter wrote:
2good4u wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:
I saw this but was hoping someone could confirm that went to the game. I guess I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the coach that the top line wasn't on the ice up 18-0 late in the 3rd
According to the Box Score on Hockey Hub......a lot of points in the 3rd came from the Kloos/Harvey line... if this is true.....that has to be on of the most classless moves in state history

edinahornetkid24

Post by edinahornetkid24 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 pm

No worries someone will return the favor at state. Classless move in my opinion.

longdistancespectator8

Post by longdistancespectator8 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Kloos was playing defense in the third period when he got those points. But yeah overall this is brutal. Kloos shouldn't have played a minute after the 9 goal first period.

Gov78

Post by Gov78 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Ugh, again? Can we all just agree that we don't care for this and move on and not post when it happens again as it will?

shotpassskate

Post by shotpassskate » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm

edinahornetkid24 wrote:No worries someone will return the favor at state. Classless move in my opinion.
Lakeville South still has to get past Lakeville North. Enough said. As for Kloos being Mr. Hockey, I quess the votes are in already and the kid from Duluth East #16 has only one thing to play for now his State Title.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm

longdistancespectator8 wrote:Kloos was playing defense in the third period when he got those points. But yeah overall this is brutal. Kloos shouldn't have played a minute after the 9 goal first period.
WHY would the coach put arguably the best player in the state on the ice at defense in a game that's already basically decided??? What good can possibly come from that scenario? There's a lot more that can go wrong than that can go right. Not saying the odds are good that he would get hurt or anything like that, but in a game that's already out of reach that just seems dumb to put your best player out there at all and especially at a position other than his normal position.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Not a suprise. Just goes to show the hockey intelligence of Weber. Tiger is right, IF they even get to state. They will b 2 and done IF they do. What boggles my mind is what happens if Kloos happens to get hurt in the 2nd or 3rd? LS doesn't have a prayer without him. What an embarassment.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 pm

gopherpuck516 wrote:
longdistancespectator8 wrote:Kloos was playing defense in the third period when he got those points. But yeah overall this is brutal. Kloos shouldn't have played a minute after the 9 goal first period.
WHY would the coach put arguably the best player in the state on the ice at defense in a game that's already basically decided??? What good can possibly come from that scenario? There's a lot more that can go wrong than that can go right. Not saying the odds are good that he would get hurt or anything like that, but in a game that's already out of reach that just seems dumb to put your best player out there at all and especially at a position other than his normal position.
My thoughts exactly. Nothing good comes from this scenario.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 pm

So what....So he was playing the whole game. If he was hurt in that last minute, that would have been worse then allowing him to play till the end.

Won't matter when LN beats them again to go to state....

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:17 pm

I didn't see the game so I can't entirely judge but I never like seeing a 1st line or a star player getting a lot of ice time in a game that is pretty much a blow out early on. No need for it.

I don't blame the kid when it happens though... I blame the coach.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 pm

If he should not been playing, then why would top talent even stick around for HS hockey. If a game gets out of hand 5-6 times a year and they are not playing 6 periods which would be 2 games out of 25, they should go, and then people would be upset that they are leaving.

Neuuman

Post by Neuuman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:I didn't see the game so I can't entirely judge but I never like seeing a 1st line or a star player getting a lot of ice time in a game that is pretty much a blow out early on. No need for it.

ABSOLUTELY ! ! ! ! As I stated earlier, he should have been showered and in the stands in street clothes.

RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I was at the game.. to be honest, the score was going to be up there either way and you could see it from the time the 2 teams took the ice for warm ups. LS girls varsity would of probably beat Winona and thats no joke. Kloos' line scored on every shift but maybe 2 or 3. They were only going out every 4th or 5th line change in the 2nd and 3rd but I agree that they probably shouldn't of been out there at all in the 3rd. Just another ugly 1 vs 8 game, wasn't the first and won't be the last..

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Neuuman wrote:
Gopher Blog wrote:I didn't see the game so I can't entirely judge but I never like seeing a 1st line or a star player getting a lot of ice time in a game that is pretty much a blow out early on. No need for it.

ABSOLUTELY ! ! ! ! As I stated earlier, he should have been showered and in the stands in street clothes.
Why won't he be on the bench encouraging his teammates? I thought hockey was a team game?

Jimbo99

Re: Lakeville South vs Winona? Please tell me this is false.

Post by Jimbo99 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:33 pm

Snap Happy wrote:
Master Recruiter wrote:Just got home from the EP-Armstrong game tonight and was searching box scores on mnhockeyhub. I click through the games, and see Lakeville South defeated Winona 19-0. I then see Mr. Hockey candidate Justin Klooos with 8 assists. I am thinking to myself; how is this possible? I then check the box score and see he had 2 assists in the 3rd period including one with 15 seconds to go in the game up 18-0. Did the South coach really have him on the ice in this situation?

Kloos could end up being the state points leader when all's said and done this year. Why wouldn't coach allow him to rack up the points? He's worked hard and had a great career - doesn't he deserve it??? Plus to have a player bring that title to their town is a pretty good thing for hockey there.... Just my opinion.
I agree. Coaches don't schedule these games. They just happen and they have to be played. This is a stupid argument that takes place on this board every year. It sounds to me like the Lakeville coach played one period pretty straight up and then got creative and let his guys have fun. They did back off as best they were able without telling there guys to sit down on the ice. What do you want? Obviously, Kloos' job in the 2nd and 3rd was to try and help feed his buddies some points that they don't normally get. His last game on home ice after a great career. It's ridiculous to say he should be off the ice or that there was any more chance he'd get hurt tonight than any other night. One team was just that much better. If they'd wanted it to be, it could have been much more lopsided.