STATE SEEDINGS AA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gray5

STATE SEEDINGS AA

Post by gray5 »

this just seems like one big mess.

as of right now something like this.

1 Duluth East
2 Maple Grove
3 Eagan/BSM/Edina
4 Eagan/BSM/Edina
Hill?

if all the right teams come out only one cupcake team in lakeville south.

what do you guys think.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Assuming the top seeds go through, that looks about right. I think BSM would be the odd team out for a seed, based on their entirety of their regular season--that is going to be one nasty draw for a top-4 team.

No matter what, this is shaping up to be one of the deepest AA fields in a while. I wouldn't consider South a cupcake, though they certainly would be one of the more favorable first round draws.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Re: STATE SEEDINGS AA

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

gray5 wrote:this just seems like one big mess.

1 Duluth East
2 Maple Grove
3 Eagan/BSM/Edina
4 Eagan/BSM/Edina
Hill?

what do you guys think.
According to Karl's most recent rankings, the Spuds would be that "one cupcake team" since Lakeville South is #8 and the Spuds are #10. :shock:
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
gray5

Post by gray5 »

yah its a tough one anyway it goes.

this debate around state always happens if they should seed or not seed all 8 teams. I am usually in favor of only seeding 4 but in this case it seems better to seed all 8.
longdistancespectator8

Re: STATE SEEDINGS AA

Post by longdistancespectator8 »

gray5 wrote:this just seems like one big mess.

1 Duluth East
2 Maple Grove
3 Eagan/BSM/Edina
4 Eagan/BSM/Edina
Hill?

what do you guys think.
That's a cupcake team that has been beaten by more than 2 goals once this year (Edina 1st game of the season)
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

1 - East
2 - Maple Grove
3 - Edina
4 - Eagan

Agreed that Benilde is going to be a terrible first round draw for one of those teams as they played extremely good tonight and were skating fast. Minnetonka was on their heels for a good part of the game.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

How much weight, if any, should BSM beating Tonka carry?
JV State Champs

Post by JV State Champs »

BSM deserves the 4 seed based on strength of schedule. Eagan played few top teams in the South Suburban.
greyhoundsnation27

Post by greyhoundsnation27 »

JV State Champs wrote:BSM deserves the 4 seed based on strength of schedule. Eagan played few top teams in the South Suburban.
North Suburban isn't exactly the Lake...
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

HShockeywatcher wrote:How much weight, if any, should BSM beating Tonka carry?
It certainly adds to the mix but if Benilde gets put up for a seed and assuming Moorhead is there, Moorhead would have a very good argument to get thrown in the conversation with their 6-2 win over the Red Knights. If BSM didn't have that loss they could definitely make a claim for the 3rd seed since their other losses are only to Mtka, MG (twice) and Shattuck.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

JV State Champs wrote:BSM deserves the 4 seed based on strength of schedule. Eagan played few top teams in the South Suburban.
*cringes in anticipation of the Eagan faithful's response to this suggestion*

You could certainly make that argument, though according to PS2, Eagan's SOS was a little bit harder than Benilde's. BSM definitely deserves credit for the convincing win over Tonka, but the thing holding them back might be the fairly recent 6-2 loss to Moorhead. That's certainly uglier than anything Eagan suffered, and just goes to show how deep this field is, too.

Of course, East and MG still have to make it through...they're the favorites, but crazier things have happened.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

karl(east) wrote:Assuming the top seeds go through, that looks about right. I think BSM would be the odd team out for a seed, based on their entirety of their regular season--that is going to be one nasty draw for a top-4 team.
(comments assume all the remaining favorites win their sections, which is by no means a guarantee!):

I think it will boil down to much weight they give to end-of-season and section results vs. the "entirety of the regular season" as Karl puts it. No doubt they will give lots of credit to BSM for their convincing win over #2 Minnetonka, but the question will be, how much? And should the team that emerged as champion of the highly regarded Section 6 deserve any special consideration?
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

This might hold some water, that Burnsville loss and tie to Jefferson could really come back to bite Eagan. But as I just posted if BSM gets thrown in Moorhead can at least be added to the conversation. Then Hill gets thrown in since they handled the Spuds. BSM did split with Moorhead and the Spuds had big losses to Blaine and Hill.

I can see arguments for both Eagan and BSM getting the 4th seed but would lean toward giving it to BSM after looking into each team's schedule a little more and adding a little more weight to coming out of a tough Section 6 (Eagan still needs to get there.)
Last edited by icehornet on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

karl(east) wrote:BSM definitely deserves credit for the convincing win over Tonka, but the thing holding them back might be the fairly recent 6-2 loss to Moorhead. That's certainly uglier than anything Eagan suffered, and just goes to show how deep this field is, too.
Tying Jefferson late in the season is pretty ugly but either side could make their argument and I would have a hard time disagreeing.
JV State Champs

Post by JV State Champs »

greyhoundsnation27 wrote:
North Suburban isn't exactly the Lake...
True but looking at Eagan's schedule they can really only point to a January win over Hill and two wins over Burnsvile as real quality wins. BSM can point to wins over Hill, Wayzata, Moorhead and now Tonka. Tough call but I would have BSM ahead of Eagan
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

That BSM team I saw on the ice tonight absolutely outplayed, outskated and outwilled Minnetonka tonight for all three periods. If they're not seeded at state, then they have to be the best non-seeded team I've ever seen. Their speed on that olympic sheet was on full display tonight. Very impressed.

Edina looked very sharp tonight too, tape to tape passing, and they showed alot of speed and skill. #16 had two highlight reel goals, and Curt Giles and co. have them well coached as always.

Usually I am more excited for section hockey than the games at state, but these should be some amazing matchups next week at the X. Can't wait!

How I would do it:

1. Duluth East (assuming they win)
2. Maple Grove (assuming they win)
3. Eagan (assuming they win)
4. Edina

Projected Matchups:

11am Maple Grove vs Moorhead
1pm Eagan vs Hill Murray
6pm Duluth East vs Lakeville South
8pm Edina vs Benilde St. Margaret's
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

I am still trying to wrap my head around this shellacking of Tonka. At this point, if the favorites win out, I gotta drop Eagan and put Benilde in the 4 spot. Why oh why don't they seed all 8 teams???
MNHockey1109

Post by MNHockey1109 »

An Edina, BSM matchup would be a great game. Hopefully if they do end up playing it's similar to the game played a couple years ago.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Projected Matchups:

11am Maple Grove vs Moorhead
1pm Eagan vs Hill Murray
6pm Duluth East vs Lakeville South
8pm Edina vs Benilde St. Margaret's
Sorry to burst your bubble but it will be Blaine Brainerd and Lakeville North showing up to St. Paul :P
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble but it will be Blaine Brainerd and Lakeville North showing up to St. Paul :P
You may be right.
Especially about NORTH.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

karl(east) wrote:
*cringes in anticipation of the Eagan faithful's response to this suggestion*
Straighten that back, Karl and relax. The Eagan faithful aren't going to jinx tonight's section 3AA final by joining this discussion...just yet. :wink:
Oldtimehockeyguy23

Post by Oldtimehockeyguy23 »

The winner of 6AA always should be seeded. period.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Oldtimehockeyguy23 wrote:The winner of 6AA always should be seeded. period.
It's tough this year with the teams they played in the playoffs to get here and the schedule they play. Tough call, but [to me] it is really tough to say that beating the team that has been top 3 all year keeps you outside of the top 4.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

1. Maple Grove
2. Edina
3. BSM
4. Moorhead
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
gray5

Post by gray5 »

it doesnt really matter who gets seeded and not seeded because somebody is really gunna feel like they are getting screwed.

I believe the seeding committee will find someway to not put that 5 team on the outside of sees vs DE in the first round. Dont they owe it to the team and fans...