Teams You Love to Hate

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Which perrenial challenger do you oddly enjoy seeing at State so you can hope they lose in heart-breaking fashion?

Duluth East
7%
Edina
45%
Hill Murray
26%
Roseau
2%
Other
20%

Total votes: 87

DanFromWoodbury

Teams You Love to Hate

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

Which perrenial challenger do you love to see at State so you can hope they lose in heart-breaking fashion?
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

For me as a kid in the 90s it was clearly Jefferson and Duluth East. I wanted to see those guys lose but the tournament just seemed right with them in it.
MNHockey1109

Post by MNHockey1109 »

Nothing makes me more happier than watching the cake eaters lose.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

St. Thomas Academy easily! Edina close second
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"
zamboni14

Post by zamboni14 »

Edina... as always
STA... trophy chasers (move up!)

Last year I cheered against DE in the finals after they kept hitting Rau behind the play (and then their fans started chanting "Rau's a p***y!") I was soooooooo glad to see him score the game winner after all the punishment he was given.
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

zamboni14 wrote:Edina... as always
STA... trophy chasers (move up!)

Last year I cheered against DE in the finals after they kept hitting Rau behind the play (and then their fans started chanting "Rau's a p***y!") I was soooooooo glad to see him score the game winner after all the punishment he was given.
1. STA... I agree Move the Fup so I can wish 2 AA schools an early exit from the State Tourney.
2. Edina... Cake Cheaters
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

Top of the list is any private... especially any "single" A one
rainier

Post by rainier »

1. A private schools
2. AA private schools
3. Metro mega-schools with gargantuan enrollments
Camden

Post by Camden »

rainier wrote:1. A private schools
2. AA private schools
3. Metro mega-schools with gargantuan enrollments
Spot on!
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

In high school it was definitely Centennial (the Gorowsky, Anderson, Flynn years 03,04) for me being from Blaine. That was also during the run of Holy Angels tournament runs for a few consecutive years, I'm not sure anyone liked seeing them get there every year
UntouchableFlow

Post by UntouchableFlow »

For me the tournament just doesn't seem right without Hill-Murray in it. I've also never really been opposed to Edina, Eden Prairie, or Tonka, because they are fun to watch. I wouldn't call myself a Private school hater, because I have a lot of respect for the coaches and players in those programs. Especially the coaches, because unlike public schools, their jobs are on the line almost every season.

If I had to choose one though, it would be Blaine. They managed to sneak their way out of their section for a few seasons when they weren't supposed to beat Centennial, as well as last season against MG. I don't think that they will make it this year, the talent just isn't there, but I think that Aus is a great coach and wouldn't be surprised to see them make it.

Also, I've never really liked anybody from Eagan's section. Particularly Eagan this season because everybody is so high on them, but they are the most unproven team in the state.The years besides 2006 when Cretin made it, I was always really annoyed too.
Dizluttheast218

Post by Dizluttheast218 »

cant stand sleepy eye
SChockey

Post by SChockey »

Dizluttheast218 wrote:cant stand sleepy eye
Can they just move up to AA already?
easton18

Post by easton18 »

Edina is definitely at the top of the list, although I have a lot of respect for Giles and what he has done in his tenure with the Hornets. Jefferson and AHA are numbers 2 and 3 on the list, and maybe throw in Apple Valley. I suppose this list is a dead giveaway as to my hometown and high school, but oh well.
MNHighSchoolPuck

Post by MNHighSchoolPuck »

easton18 wrote:Edina is definitely at the top of the list, although I have a lot of respect for Giles and what he has done in his tenure with the Hornets. Jefferson and AHA are numbers 2 and 3 on the list, and maybe throw in Apple Valley. I suppose this list is a dead giveaway as to my hometown and high school, but oh well.
The Richfield Fighting Darby Hendrickson's?
easton18

Post by easton18 »

MNHighSchoolPuck wrote:
easton18 wrote:Edina is definitely at the top of the list, although I have a lot of respect for Giles and what he has done in his tenure with the Hornets. Jefferson and AHA are numbers 2 and 3 on the list, and maybe throw in Apple Valley. I suppose this list is a dead giveaway as to my hometown and high school, but oh well.
Think south of the river, but still on 35W :wink:
MNHighSchoolPuck

Post by MNHighSchoolPuck »

easton18 wrote:
MNHighSchoolPuck wrote:
Okay hows about the Burnsville Fighting Kevin Gorg's?
easton18

Post by easton18 »

MNHighSchoolPuck wrote:
easton18 wrote:
MNHighSchoolPuck wrote:The Richfield Fighting Darby Hendrickson's?
Okay hows about the Burnsville Fighting Kevin Gorg's?
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! =D>
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

Roseau is by far my least favorite team in Minnesota
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

#1 - Edina
#2 - St Thomas Academy
#3 - Benilde St Margerats
#4 - Breck
#5 - Eden Prairie
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Northern Defender

Post by Northern Defender »

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:Roseau is by far my least favorite team in Minnesota
Roseau is one of my favorites....they epitomize Minnesota Small Town hockey that said screw it, we're playin' with the big boys.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

SChockey wrote:
Dizluttheast218 wrote:cant stand sleepy eye
Can they just move up to AA already?
:lol:
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

Northern Defender wrote:
hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:Roseau is by far my least favorite team in Minnesota
Roseau is one of my favorites....they epitomize Minnesota Small Town hockey that said screw it, we're playin' with the big boys.
I agree Roseau is great because they don't take players from other programs unlike the privates! All those kids are born and raised there. Good wholesome winning the right way. Nobody moves there from surrounding communities or ND to play on a better team :o Well maybe a few kids but that's ok because they are not Private.

Come to think of it I really like Hermantown and DE too, weird how Proctor and the other Duluth high schools can't compete though, must be something in the water!

Funny how everyone hates the "Haves". They are better than we are so let's not pull for them regardless of the circumstance at BSM.

I hope BSM blows everyone's doors off like they did to Min. If they do and Jack is there with a Big grin, trophy in his lap, wow.

The privates win a disproportionate number of championships in all sports. Is it because they are better athletes or have a better work ethic?

Just checking. :D
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I generally cheer & go with the team that everyone is cheering against. That usually ends up being Edina, Hill-Murray, all the other privates, and large suburban schools. Except Breck. Their coach rubs me the wrong way.

The bottom line is that while people like to hate Edina & Hill-Murray, the tournament is SO much more fun with them there and their traditional jerseys on the state tournament ice, even though Hill seems to change their jerseys almost every single year. :)

Just play good hockey and I'll cheer. I still remember not wanting either Hermantown or Mahtomedi to lose back in 2010....
MHGr8ness

Post by MHGr8ness »

The privates win a disproportionate number of championships in all sports. Is it because they are better athletes or have a better work ethic?

Just checking. :D[/quote]

Neither. It's because they have unfair advantages.