Get a Clue MSHSL

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:00 am

Reggie wrote:I guess we just live in a soft world now, in 20 years checking from behind and fighting will mean time in jail, so 5 minutes isn't so bad.
Feminization of sports and Politics courtesy of your 70's Liberals kids that are on most of the Boards nowadays- Right Oldtimer? ex. MSHSL!!

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:36 am

I have no problem as a parent of the new rules. In college hockey it is a 5 min penalty and they are out for the rest of the game. Nothing wrong with that at all. I have no problem with it. Tell your kids not to check from behind, and not to board.

Checking from behind and boarding have no reason to be a part of the game.

The thing that everyone keeps missing is - in high school hockey you have a lot of immature kids, raging hormones, and some coaches with not enough experience. Everyone says on here to just teach the proper ways to be checked and to give a check. That would involved over 100 high school coaches and probably over 500-1000 youth coaches. That will obviosuly never happen across the board than. Plus some teams play that rough and tough style of hockey.

slyer

Post by slyer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:41 am

we need to play hockey the correct way hard and physical, just not cheap

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am

Tigers33 wrote:I have no problem as a parent of the new rules. In college hockey it is a 5 min penalty and they are out for the rest of the game. Nothing wrong with that at all. I have no problem with it. Tell your kids not to check from behind, and not to board.
The problem isn't with the penalties, it's with the way they are called now. Anything that seems to resemble a "hard hit" gets labeled boarding. Some of the CFB penalties I've seen were not great calls. It's more that the refs and their decisions are becoming a bigger part of the game than the kids and their decisions. The emphasis on the calls seems to be making some paranoid and blowing the whistle on anything. With that said, I've seen some games that were called greatly by the refs. They called major penalties on the proper infractions and didn't "create" any major penalties.
Tigers33 wrote:Everyone says on here to just teach the proper ways to be checked and to give a check. That would involved over 100 high school coaches and probably over 500-1000 youth coaches. That will obviosuly never happen across the board than. Plus some teams play that rough and tough style of hockey.
So... why are these people coaching then? If they aren't teaching the players the correct way to play and especially the fundamentals, then they shouldn't be out there. There are plenty of resources available for them to learn how to teach proper checking.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls