Now is the time to force all Privates up to "AA"

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Locked
HShockeywatcher
Posts: 6848
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 am

PuckRanger wrote:Maybe Mr. Larson (and a few others) should go spend a year or two coaching a class A team up on the Iron Range. Maybe after they realize they have to be careful how many periods some guys play in the JV game so they have enough players for the varsity game they will understand what class A size really is. Even the more successful programs like Hibbing and Virginia would LOVE to have 47 kids try out...
1)
The real issues here are a) fraud and b) redoing classes every year.

Let's assume those weren't issues:
Would there be some other number you could use, like number of kids who tried out for the sport? Or just hockey? I think classes would be very different if that were the case.

2)
The other dynamic that you have is that we are about halfway to enough teams for a 3rd class, where we have most of the 5A and 4A football schools, minus the st paul/mpls teams, plus a 30-40 A, AA and AAA teams. So:
How bout if you have a co-op the enrollment of the largest school is counted, if you're a private school that's ever been to state, you are in AA, then the smallest 64 teams are in A and the rest in AA?
Right now we do it the opposite.


Just a couple of ideas. Instead of pointing fingers at schools who clearly wouldn't mind being in AA but want to go where assigned, why not offer realistic suggestions of ways to change the rules and get what you want?
KrautBache wrote:Defense, I think that you have helped to illustrate why my idea (requiring A teams to only play other A teams (subject to an exception for areas where the # of teams is below a certain number)) would work. "A" teams could travel around the state to play better A teams as much as they want (just like AA teams like Moorhead, GR, and Duluth East do to play a better variety of decent AA competition then would otherwise be available in their area). If an A team still believes that it is "too good" to play the available A talent, its only option would be to opt up and be an AA team. Nobody is forcing them to lower their competition level -- it is their choice whether they are A or AA. If they are truly an A level team, they should be happy to only play other A level teams. If they are not happy being limited to A teams, that's a pretty good sign that they are in the wrong class.
Not interested in getting into a heat discussion with you, but what you are describing is a tier system. The idea of a class system is that you are aligned based on enrollment, not talent.

I admit that private schools throw a wrench into that and something should be in the aligning about them imo. But when your only issue is two schools, making a crazy rule like that instead re-examining the classification seems quite silly.

hockeyoldtimer
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Now is the time for teams to go to AA

Post by hockeyoldtimer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 am

Mite-Dad,
You are seriously out of touch if you think everyone at private school is rich and doesn't sacrifice to get their kids there. I have 3 friends whose boys are at STA. They are all single parents working extra time to pay for tuition. My one friend has a home daycare and took in extra kids and took a second job to send her son to STA and he isn't even a hockey player. He works all summer and the money goes to tuition. That is sacrifice. Don't you dare say you know none of these parents sacrifice and own $500000 homes. STA and other schools give alot of financial aid to help families such as this and narrow minded people like you think only the rich go.
I too grew up in a small town in Minnesota outstate and appreciate the fact that these schools draw from a huge population and get talented kids. I cheer for the small schools to defeat them but I never judge the parents for sending them there or presume to say they don't sacrifice to get them there. Many families with kids in private schools have parents working 2 jobs and sacrificing more than vacations to put them there.
Wake up and get off your public school high horse.

Slap Shot
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

Get rid of the two class system or have have one state tournament with 8 teams from each class. 8)

KrautBache
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am

Post by KrautBache » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:56 am

HShockeywatcher wrote:
KrautBache wrote:Defense, I think that you have helped to illustrate why my idea (requiring A teams to only play other A teams (subject to an exception for areas where the # of teams is below a certain number)) would work. "A" teams could travel around the state to play better A teams as much as they want (just like AA teams like Moorhead, GR, and Duluth East do to play a better variety of decent AA competition then would otherwise be available in their area). If an A team still believes that it is "too good" to play the available A talent, its only option would be to opt up and be an AA team. Nobody is forcing them to lower their competition level -- it is their choice whether they are A or AA. If they are truly an A level team, they should be happy to only play other A level teams. If they are not happy being limited to A teams, that's a pretty good sign that they are in the wrong class.
Not interested in getting into a heat discussion with you, but what you are describing is a tier system. The idea of a class system is that you are aligned based on enrollment, not talent.

I admit that private schools throw a wrench into that and something should be in the aligning about them imo. But when your only issue is two schools, making a crazy rule like that instead re-examining the classification seems quite silly.
How is this a crazy rule? I'm just talking about a simple change that says if you choose not to opt up to AA, you play A. MSHSL would still align based on enrollment. But teams would have the choice to opt up if they felt like they needed to play AA teams. It simply takes away the ability of "A" teams to have their cake and eat it too.

As an aside, I'm not focusing on two schools -- I'm looking at this as a broader issue and solution that would address teams and programs as they evolve. But regardless, most rules and rule changes are made for the one or two or three that have been deemed to be "abusing" the system.

DubCHAGuy
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

Post by DubCHAGuy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:17 am

What if the MSHSL just reversed the way they currently determine class A and AA. As it is, AA consists of the "largest 64 enrollments plus opt ups" playing AA. Everyone else is assigned to class A.

Why not make class A the "smallest 64 (or 72 to make 9 team sections) enrollments". If one of those 72 opt up, the next smallest AA team gets moved down to class A, if they accept it.

This would move the bigger privates, like STA and TG, into AA, along with several of the larger class A publics, which would put even more pressure on the remaining A privates like Breck and Blake to move up to AA.

defense
Posts: 1263
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: right here

Post by defense » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:52 am

Slap Shot wrote:Get rid of the two class system or have have one state tournament with 8 teams from each class. 8)
In the end, this is the best solution. If you want to talk about more getting an opportunity on a bigger stage, excitement etc., my question is: Pre-1993, what were the section tournements like???? Answer: they had much more luster than they do now, I would even go as far as to say that most of them were likely better than the class A state tournement of today.

HShockeywatcher
Posts: 6848
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 pm

KrautBache wrote:How is this a crazy rule? I'm just talking about a simple change that says if you choose not to opt up to AA, you play A. MSHSL would still align based on enrollment. But teams would have the choice to opt up if they felt like they needed to play AA teams. It simply takes away the ability of "A" teams to have their cake and eat it too.

As an aside, I'm not focusing on two schools -- I'm looking at this as a broader issue and solution that would address teams and programs as they evolve. But regardless, most rules and rule changes are made for the one or two or three that have been deemed to be "abusing" the system.
You are forgetting about the reverse; we have big schools that don't have good teams. So, if you're small but good you can opt up and play against only "good" teams but if you're big but bad, you're stuck getting worked all season.

You have to remember that getting to state is only a realistic goal for maybe 1/3 of a class, less in most cases. Many continue to play their sport for love of the game. Roseau isn't in AA to play AA teams all season, it is for the post season.

If you are sticking to a system based on enrollment, why is ability coming into play?

Mite-dad
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 am

Re: Now is the time for teams to go to AA

Post by Mite-dad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:02 pm

hockeyoldtimer wrote:Mite-Dad,
You are seriously out of touch if you think everyone at private school is rich and doesn't sacrifice to get their kids there. I have 3 friends whose boys are at STA. They are all single parents working extra time to pay for tuition. My one friend has a home daycare and took in extra kids and took a second job to send her son to STA and he isn't even a hockey player. He works all summer and the money goes to tuition. That is sacrifice. Don't you dare say you know none of these parents sacrifice and own $500000 homes. STA and other schools give alot of financial aid to help families such as this and narrow minded people like you think only the rich go.
I too grew up in a small town in Minnesota outstate and appreciate the fact that these schools draw from a huge population and get talented kids. I cheer for the small schools to defeat them but I never judge the parents for sending them there or presume to say they don't sacrifice to get them there. Many families with kids in private schools have parents working 2 jobs and sacrificing more than vacations to put them there.
Wake up and get off your public school high horse.
Point taken. And I apologize. But I still think it is the exception rather than the rule. It would be interesting to see some salary information from the privates and compare it to the average public A family.

Face it. These private kids play on the best summer programs available, then go on to an amazing private school. There is a huge $ advantage from youth level all the way through high school for these kids. I don't argue there are a couple kids from lower socio-economic standing on the team, but he has to be the exception. They are basically the equivalent of the big metro publics.

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Re: Now is the time for teams to go to AA

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 pm

What would be wrong with merely adding a private school class?
There are some competitive advantages that private schools enjoy.
If you want your hockey kid to go to STA, and you have the funds, it's a no brainer. You don't even need to make living quarter arrangements. He stays in the dorms.

For other schools, if you want to open enroll, you would have a bigger hill to climb, in finding transportation/accomodations.

Goldy23
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 pm

Post by Goldy23 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:
east hockey wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
east hockey wrote:Comparing swimming to hockey?? That is your argument? That's bad, even for you.

Lee
Well this statement just shows how little you know about swimming.

Sure, they're different types of games, but all the external things that are required to be successful, especially on a team level, are the same or very similar.
It is no coincidence that many of the teams who are at the top of one in their respective class are at the top of their class in the other.
No, your response shows how little you know about high school hockey in Minnesota. Which wouldn't be bad otherwise, except you're posting this drivel on a forum dedicated to high school hockey in Minnesota. No wonder the Lessers used to take such pleasure in their comments regarding you.

Swimming similar to hockey? In what imaginary world does that happen? Hockey is different. One secret reason why: "It's the money, stupid". That "external thing" you speak of. How much of a financial commitment, over the years, is required for a family to grow a top-notch swimming prospect? Compared to hockey? This is what you don't understand. Again.

Lee
Gee, that is grand. The moderator of the board calls me stupid implying I don't know the one thing that I have personally posted numerous times on this board.

Sure, a suit/goggles cost more than hockey equipment so you may be right that it is not exactly the same amount, but a lifelong financial commitment is generally part of swimming success.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be "right," just trying to participate in a discussion that is full of people with many misconceptions. From my time using this board, I have learned a lot and my opinion has been changed numerous times from both posts and PM discussions I've had with people from varying experiences and backgrounds. Generally, I post either about things I know about or questions about what I don't.

After 15 pages of this, it is apparent that people who are unfamiliar with something are not that interested in learning about it, but rather continually pointing fingers. Anyway, have fun repeating yourself over and over and solving nothing.
HSHW, being a fellow private schooler (Breck) I must say that I have to agree with those posting that under the current circumstance, your school has absoultely no excuse for not moving up and playing AA. You have an enrollment of 1066 and STA is a recruiting machince. It is simply a loophole that allows STA to continue this charade. Its noting short of a disgrace that STA leadership refuses to play in AA and no better that you continue to try to defend it.

For the record I also believe that Breck should move up if they are going to continue specifically recruiting hockey talent even though next year will be a completly differnt story for Breck as they are losing all but 2-3 of their top players from this year without much significant help coming in as of now. As I write this, STA on the other hand is pounding Hermantown for the Championship again and will very likely be the #1 ranked team all year next year with the talent and youth of this years team.

Finally, congrats STA players and coaches on a great year. I hope that your school leadership will finally do the right and honorable thing with it....

A 16 team one class tourney would fix most of this BTW!

WayOutWest
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 am

Post by WayOutWest » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Goldy23 wrote:
HSHW, being a fellow private schooler (Breck) I must say that I have to agree with those posting that under the current circumstance, your school has absoultely no excuse for not moving up and playing AA. You have an enrollment of 1066 and STA is a recruiting machince. It is simply a loophole that allows STA to continue this charade. Its noting short of a disgrace that STA leadership refuses to play in AA and no better that you continue to try to defend it.
Agreed.
I remember a post about Breck, here, a few years ago. It showed the geographic diffrerences between hockey players who attended Breck vs. non-hockey students attending Breck. It was enlightening. Hockey players came from SIGNIFICANTLY further away from the school. What does that tell ya?

Irishhockey007
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Post by Irishhockey007 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Goldy23 wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
east hockey wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:
east hockey wrote:Comparing swimming to hockey?? That is your argument? That's bad, even for you.

Lee
Well this statement just shows how little you know about swimming.

Sure, they're different types of games, but all the external things that are required to be successful, especially on a team level, are the same or very similar.
It is no coincidence that many of the teams who are at the top of one in their respective class are at the top of their class in the other.
No, your response shows how little you know about high school hockey in Minnesota. Which wouldn't be bad otherwise, except you're posting this drivel on a forum dedicated to high school hockey in Minnesota. No wonder the Lessers used to take such pleasure in their comments regarding you.

Swimming similar to hockey? In what imaginary world does that happen? Hockey is different. One secret reason why: "It's the money, stupid". That "external thing" you speak of. How much of a financial commitment, over the years, is required for a family to grow a top-notch swimming prospect? Compared to hockey? This is what you don't understand. Again.

Lee
Gee, that is grand. The moderator of the board calls me stupid implying I don't know the one thing that I have personally posted numerous times on this board.

Sure, a suit/goggles cost more than hockey equipment so you may be right that it is not exactly the same amount, but a lifelong financial commitment is generally part of swimming success.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be "right," just trying to participate in a discussion that is full of people with many misconceptions. From my time using this board, I have learned a lot and my opinion has been changed numerous times from both posts and PM discussions I've had with people from varying experiences and backgrounds. Generally, I post either about things I know about or questions about what I don't.

After 15 pages of this, it is apparent that people who are unfamiliar with something are not that interested in learning about it, but rather continually pointing fingers. Anyway, have fun repeating yourself over and over and solving nothing.
HSHW, being a fellow private schooler (Breck) I must say that I have to agree with those posting that under the current circumstance, your school has absoultely no excuse for not moving up and playing AA. You have an enrollment of 1066 and STA is a recruiting machince. It is simply a loophole that allows STA to continue this charade. Its noting short of a disgrace that STA leadership refuses to play in AA and no better that you continue to try to defend it.

For the record I also believe that Breck should move up if they are going to continue specifically recruiting hockey talent even though next year will be a completly differnt story for Breck as they are losing all but 2-3 of their top players from this year without much significant help coming in as of now. As I write this, STA on the other hand is pounding Hermantown for the Championship again and will very likely be the #1 ranked team all year next year with the talent and youth of this years team.

Finally, congrats STA players and coaches on a great year. I hope that your school leadership will finally do the right and honorable thing with it....

A 16 team one class tourney would fix most of this BTW!

Better yet. Lets just make one large tournament in which all the schools play, and at the end every team gets a state championship so all of the parents can tell their kids what a great year they had and nobody's feelings will get hurt. Soft.

Redlight
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

Post by Redlight » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:58 pm

PuckRanger wrote:
goldy313 wrote:
thestickler07 wrote:http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_201 ... er-classes

Throw another log on the fire!! Let's get this baby to 20+ pages!!
Les Larson quote "We have 185 boys (in grades) 9 through 12, I don't know how we have a football team but we do. We have 47 kids in our program. That's 25% of our boys, and that's OK if you're Shattuck but we're not Shattuck, we're Breck."

Really he can't be that ignorant can he?
First off Breck is a AAA football program there are 3 classes below them that still play football, the cut off for 9 man is 165 students, not boys, students. The State Academy for the Deaf has 46 students and fields a football team for cripes sakes Les. Kittson Central made the state semi finals with 80 students/

Second, there are AA teams that don't have 47 boys out for hockey, probably more than half the AA teams don't. The 3 Rochester schools don't cut anyone anymore, outside of the Lakeville schools I'd be suprised if any team in 1AA or 8AA has 47 kids even try out for hockey. There are plenty of A teams that can't even field a JV.

Geez talk about a really clueless spokesman for the status quo.... :shock:
Maybe Mr. Larson (and a few others) should go spend a year or two coaching a class A team up on the Iron Range. Maybe after they realize they have to be careful how many periods some guys play in the JV game so they have enough players for the varsity game they will understand what class A size really is. Even the more successful programs like Hibbing and Virginia would LOVE to have 47 kids try out...
Never underestimate this Rubes ability to continue to demonstrate what an arrogant DIPS@>T he really is!!!! :shock:

The Universe
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

Post by The Universe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Since this seems to be the largest of private vs. public debate, I will post my first question on this thread:

If a public school was having the type of success that Saint Thomas is having in the past years, would people be saying they should move up to AA?

WB6162
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Post by WB6162 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm

The Universe wrote:Since this seems to be the largest of private vs. public debate, I will post my first question on this thread:

If a public school was having the type of success that Saint Thomas is having in the past years, would people be saying they should move up to AA?
I would say no if it's a public school from a smaller town like the tourney was intended for.

Roseau would dominate in the A brackett and I would have no problem with that because they are a community, not a bunch of hockey mercenaries like STA.

The Universe
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

Post by The Universe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Another question I have is, (please note this is hypothetical and it would never happen) IF the league decided that private schools could no longer play in the tourney at either class, what would happen to the privates schools', student body? People would play at their home towns like in bantams and peewees again. OR would they flock to suburbs like Edina or Minnetonka where a powerhouse would emerge. OR would these outstanding players for go HS hockey altogether and more would go to Juniors?

Goldy23
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 pm

Post by Goldy23 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm

The Universe wrote:Another question I have is, (please note this is hypothetical and it would never happen) IF the league decided that private schools could no longer play in the tourney at either class, what would happen to the privates schools', student body? People would play at their home towns like in bantams and peewees again. OR would they flock to suburbs like Edina or Minnetonka where a powerhouse would emerge. OR would these outstanding players for go HS hockey altogether and more would go to Juniors?
Some of both I would guess. I don't think the answer is to make it a non private tourney (they tried that once). The answer in my opinion is to make it a larger one class tourney with 16 teams. No opting up, down or sideways. By combining it into a 16 team field, everyone wins. More teams get to play without the stigma some teams have of playing in the "JV tourney title"., More of the David vs. Goliath stories, creating a better way to showcase the most deserving teams. By adding an extra day of games in St. Paul the MSHSL wins in a huge finacial way, not to mention that ALL of the games would likely be sold out vs. the current class A games only at 25-50%of capacity.

Slap Shot
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:09 pm

BlueLineSpecial wrote:No one is comparing sacrifices. But I'm not going to argue with you becuse you clearly don't get it. Read the posts before questioning what people sacrifice. I recall a couple that parished on the cruise ship in Italy sending their kids to private schools their whole lives, and they sacrificed vacations their whole lives to do that. The cruise was a reward. Hows that for an example? Does that work for you?
Not going on vacation is not a sacrifice for God's sake. Spare everyone the tripe about 'sacrificing' vacations and dinners at Murray's in order to make the choice to send a kid to a private school. Never mind a kid can get a quality education at a public school.

HShockeywatcher
Posts: 6848
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:No one is comparing sacrifices. But I'm not going to argue with you becuse you clearly don't get it. Read the posts before questioning what people sacrifice. I recall a couple that parished on the cruise ship in Italy sending their kids to private schools their whole lives, and they sacrificed vacations their whole lives to do that. The cruise was a reward. Hows that for an example? Does that work for you?
Not going on vacation is not a sacrifice for God's sake. Spare everyone the tripe about 'sacrificing' vacations and dinners at Murray's in order to make the choice to send a kid to a private school. Never mind a kid can get a quality education at a public school.
Not a single person has said they can't.

This was something I said in another thread:
HShockeywatcher wrote: All season long there were Hermantown supporters saying they thought their squad was the best team in state, regardless of class, that they could play with Duluth East, and that they hoped they'd get the #2 seed so they could beat both Breck and St Thomas.
All season long I was called biased and a homer for putting St Thomas in the #1 spot on my rankings because Hermantown was clearly the better team and they've proven it. Winning all season with outstanding defense.

Now that we're at the tournament, where are all those comments? The head coach has made excuses for them to lose, all the fingers are pointed and people are conceding before the game even happens. Somehow the Hawks got the top seed, yet their coach and all the announcers call them the underdog.

All we'd had all season long was disrespect from the Hermantown supporters communities and now that this game has come around no one can just say "you're better, good job" but instead make more excuses. There has been no disrespect from the private school communities; just kids going out and playing hockey.

If they could opt up for one year, I'm sure St Thomas would for next year. They can't.

Good luck to all the seniors in the off season before continuing playing hockey post secondary.
It's crazy. If they're better, they say nothing, like Hermantown in 2007, they just went out and won. If there's any doubt, they make excuses and fans show disrespect. At least be consistent.

If they could opt up for next year, my guess is at this point they would. But they can't, it's on a two year cycle. Will they in two years? Most likely. Hopefully they do.

Irishhockey007
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Post by Irishhockey007 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

So what happens if STA moves up to AA and dominates that level as well? Would you all have them make a AAA league and have them play themselves? Quit complaining, great season by the Cadets. Haters gonna hate!

BobSaget
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Post by BobSaget » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:01 pm

I'll say this again because the other thread got locked up...

For the record, I'm typically on board with private schools and think they should play where they belong.

Do Rochester Lourdes, SCC, DM, even Blake belong in AA? Not in my opinion.

But, this STA garbage has got to stop. There can't be any pride in this. They are a team that could legitimately win the AA title year in-year out. They play AA teams all year, only losses this year were to AA tourney entrants and S-SM.

At the end of the game they showed Tom Vannelli talking in the locker room. He said something along the lines of...Forget about the media. We play the teams they put front of us...

While that is true...it doesn't make it any less gutless. They choose to play those teams...every year. They could play AA teams come playoff time...they know that they can excel at that level. But, for some reason, they feel the need to be cowards and trophy chase.

For the record, I graduated from St. Cloud Cathedral. I coached baseball there. If you aren't aware of Cathedral's baseball history, it's somewhat on the level of an STA hockey team. In the legion season, they play against the big schools...but in the school season, they trophy chase.

It's just boring. It's gutless. It's cheating everyone else and yourself. It's not cheating just public schools...it's cheating the private schools that have at least some semblance of legitimacy.

The Universe
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am

Post by The Universe » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:16 pm

Private schools playing class A are:
-Rochester Lourdes
-Breck
-Blake
-Providence Academy
-Minehaha Academy
-St. Thomas Academy
-Totino-Grace
-St. Paul Academy
-St. Cloud Cathedral
-Legacy Christian
-Duluth Marshall

Looking at this list, I think all of these teams could compete in a AA section with the exception of Legacy, Minehaha, and Providence.

Another thing that I find interesting is that both the teams in the AA championship game tonight are private schools who opt up to AA.. I didn't know that until today.

luvuvgame
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:40 am

Post by luvuvgame » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok let me first say I was not & am not a fan of a 2 class tournament, but I think we can all agree they aren't going back to a great eight scenario. With that, I think the only way to fix it is to add another class.

AAA- The Big Schools, this is all the largest enrollment schools, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, Edina, etc. also, any team that wants to show they have what it takes to compete for the ultimate crown. This tournament is held on a separate weekend.

AA- Larger-medium enrollment schools but not the "super powers" of high school hockey. All Private Schools must play at this level (choice of opting up to AAA). Also, larger enrollment schools that lack strong hockey programs could opt to play down from AAA ie, Princeton, St. Francis. MSHSL would need to have a competition committee to review if team opting down from AAA was legit.

A- reserved for small community schools. This might also help grown hockey in some of the smaller communities that can't support playing now, or youth players that may have to leave their local high school to play at one who offers hockey. This might help some of the Co-ops break away to regain their identity.

AA & A Tournament would be played on same weekend. I know it's not going to happen this way but I see it as a viable option to make changes to the tournament that would accomplish what ruining the tournament in the first place was supposed to do.

If nothing else the MSHSL should have a competition committee (if they don't already) that reviews where programs play regardless of enrollment & if that means having to change some rules to uphold the integrity of their golden goose, then get to work and change the rules. There are plenty of people in the hockey world that think high school hockey has seen its best days behind it. If the league isn't open to looking at how things are now, only time will tell about the vitality of this tournament. (I say this understanding that this years tourney drew very well)

neverplayedbutHUGEFAN
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Privates playing A from NEVER PLAYED HOCKEY person

Post by neverplayedbutHUGEFAN » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I guess I lied. This is my 2nd and final post because my one and only post got locked??? Here it is one last time:

This is my one and only post. Just finished watching the 'A' final. I have never played hockey and by no means consider myself anything but a novice regarding the sport. However, I love the sport and love to watch the high school hockey tournament. Just love it! Have been watching since way back during the Burnsville/Hill-Murray finals in the 80s.

I don't have any expertise but it seems obvious to me that the private schools have no business playing in class 'A'. They are at a different level than the other schools talent wise. It doesn't even look close to a novice such as myself.

I have no knowledge regarding the politics or reasoning for such teams to continue to play in class 'A'. I do feel that one can start to deduce the mentality of such a school and its administration if that school continues to play at a level where they are clearly dominant and at an advantage.

The mentality of such a group of people reminds me of a book I read several years ago entitled Dominion: The Power of Man, the suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy by Mathew Scully.

Before I get written off, here is why this obscure book is relevant: In one part of the book a group of very powerful politicians/leaders in the U.S. go to Africa on a safari hunt. They pay $20,000 to go on the hunt with the obvious goal being to get that trophy that they can bring back and brag about to their peers. Sure enough, they succeed in this hunt. They have bragging rights and can stick out their collective chests on what they have accomplished. HERE'S THE CATCH. The animals they are hunting (elephants, rhinos, etc) are fenced in pens on "safari ranches". They have no chance. The "hunters" sit with their guns drawn near where the animals are fed. Feed is placed in their troughs, then as the animals walk up to eat, BOOM, they are shot dead. Not exactly a legitimate hunt.

The longer these schools stay playing in class 'A' the more it leads me to believe that the above mentality is at play. Most people would not feel right about the situation described above. It is inherently unfair and not a true hunt. The sad reality is, some people don't see anything wrong with the above scenario. I fear that may be the mentality of some of these private schools that continue to play in a class that they have no business being a part of.

That's it for my only post. Have a good life everyone. Best of luck.[/u]

HerbBrooks
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Post by HerbBrooks » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:18 pm

MSHSL should mail Saint Thomas Academy the 2013 Class A Championship Trophy and tell them to stay home next year.

Locked