#2 Maple Grove vs Hill Murray 3/8 @ 11am

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Maple Grove
61%
Hill Murray
39%

Total votes: 93

Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

Experience is the only thing that will keep Hill going 6-3 Crimson roll.
sweetthang

Post by sweetthang »

Lechner is the best coach in Minnesota. Obviously based on the percentages of people picking against them hardly anyone gets that. Hill will be ready and in upset mode and give the Crimson all they can handle. They have won 10 in a row and this makes 11. Bring on an Eagan rematch on Friday night. They might just win that one too!!
I got Hill 4-3
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:
Sparlimb wrote: I remember a HM squad not too long ago being all but counted out by everyone. The 2008 squad had to go through undefeated Roseau and equaly as heralded Edina. They didn't just win, but they whipped both teams and won state. Let's do it again!
Tell me you're not comparing the '08 squad to this year's squad?
the players, no. The circumstances, yes.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
Mnhockey83

Post by Mnhockey83 »

Maple Grove 5-3
Should be a great game to open the tournament
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

Hill always scares me. When they have a top team the only thing that seems to beat them is the underdog, i.e. White Bear Lake, Rochester Century. But when that team gets to play the big boys they know how to win. The one thing I would say is that the HM teams that go far have the talent to do so. The 2008 team was a no. 1 team early on but stumbled with a couple early losses and never got a chance to catch Roseau, Edina, and Benilde until state. They proved that they were every bit as good as those teams as worthy of a top ranking.

This year's squad is clearly lacking in the depth of talent of the typical high end HM teams. They have a few very good players, but they usually have a lot more. I see this team as being closer to the 2009 team that lost its top players due to suspensions. That team came within an overtime goal of knocking off eventual champion Hill Murray, and then pasted badly by Edina in the consolation game. What that tells me is that when the game really matters an underdog HM team will come to play and play up to the level of its competition, which I think says a ton about Lechner and his staff.

I'd love to see the Pioneers do that this year, but I just think Maple Grove is such a complete team. When I first saw them I thought they were just big and physical and took advantage of mistakes, while smothering the other team's offense. When I saw them later in the year, they did the same thing but also had a lot of talent up front. And even if they don't play their best game, their goaltending is strong. I am looking at this as a 4-1 or 5-2 Crimson win.
TheFakeHub

Post by TheFakeHub »

I really think Hill can pull this one out, Maple Grove is high powered and Dugas will be tested, but if the Pioneers top line can deliver as they have so often they'll win. 4-3 Hill
blueblood

The groove vs. the pioneers

Post by blueblood »

Nice opening AA game to start the 2012 tourney.

Ilike hill in the upset 4-3.
CRS

Post by CRS »

Both teams are talented and this should make for a great game.

MG 4-2 (en)
Orty

Post by Orty »

There is something to be said about tradition. And it's not like this is his first rodeo. Lechner can coach. Not sure he has enough this year.

However, about that tradition thing...

HM: 2 (OT)
MG: 1

Orty
PassittoMcConnell

Post by PassittoMcConnell »

I had the opportunity to be at the Fairgrounds and watch both teams play Friday night. IMO Maple Grove has a little more speed and moves the puck better than the Pioneers. Both teams are very solid making for a great kick off to the tournament.

MG 5-2
Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Maple Grove really impressed me with how deep they are against Blaine. I don't think Hill has a chance - they didn't look very strong against Roseville.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

The Cobra Elite wins BIG

7-3.

8)
The Puck
LGW
curtiscurve

Post by curtiscurve »

Hill has a few things going for them. They have a great coach who will have them ready to go Thursday. They are a balanced squad that can grind and wear teams out. On the other hand, Maple Grove has been waiting for this day for a long time. This will be a tight game, but eventually Grove's skill and speed will be too much for Hill.

Prediction....
Crimson 5
Pioneers 3
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Anything can happen, but Maple Grove has the edge in most categories. The Green Machine has been known to play up (and down) to competition, so that could be a factor.

I see it:

MG 4
HM 2
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

MG 3
HM 2

1 OT

So close.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

East Side Tradition with the top coaching staff in the state 4
Noobs from those newfangled sub developments out in the boonies up towards St Cloud 1

When Hill is the underdog, Hill plays their best. Maple Grove is talented, sure, but they're not nearly as talented as '08 Roseau or '10 Minnetonka. Hill cleaned the clock with one of them and took the other to the fourth overtime. Lechner has more than enough tricks up his sleeve and has done this before.

I'm looking forward to watching my first state tourney game as a HM alumni at the X tomorrow. Should be a good one.
Hill-Murray>Public Schools>All Other Privates
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

East Side Tradition with the top coaching staff in the state 4
Noobs from those newfangled sub developments out in the boonies up towards St Cloud 1

When Hill is the underdog, Hill plays their best. Maple Grove is talented, sure, but they're not nearly as talented as '08 Roseau or '10 Minnetonka. Hill cleaned the clock with one of them and took the other to the fourth overtime. Lechner has more than enough tricks up his sleeve and has done this before.

I'm looking forward to watching my first state tourney game as a HM alumni at the X tomorrow. Should be a good one.
Hill-Murray>Public Schools>All Other Privates
freestyle

Post by freestyle »

Hill will be heading to Mariucci on Friday

Post by 763 »

I'm not quite sure why Hill has a huge "experience" advantage over MG. Last time I checked they were not in the tourney last year, leaving only a few seniors with tournament experience. The MG kids have been in big games their whole career and I do not think they'll be intimidated; after all they've been expecting this day to come for the last two years.

MG: 7
Hill: 3
BlueLineSpecial

763 wrote:I'm not quite sure why Hill has a huge "experience" advantage over MG. Last time I checked they were not in the tourney last year, leaving only a few seniors with tournament experience. The MG kids have been in big games their whole career and I do not think they'll be intimidated; after all they've been expecting this day to come for the last two years.

:lol: You can't claim HM doesn't have a lot of experience then claim that Maple Grove has been in big games their whole career. I would think that most of the HM players have been, too

Post by 763 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote:
763 wrote:I'm not quite sure why Hill has a huge "experience" advantage over MG. Last time I checked they were not in the tourney last year, leaving only a few seniors with tournament experience. The MG kids have been in big games their whole career and I do not think they'll be intimidated; after all they've been expecting this day to come for the last two years.

:lol: You can't claim HM doesn't have a lot of experience then claim that Maple Grove has been in big games their whole career. I would think that most of the HM players have been, too
I'm not saying that they don't have experience, I also never said MG has more. I just don't think it will be the deciding factor in the game and I believe MG has the more talented and complete team
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

sweetthang wrote:Lechner is the best coach in Minnesota. Obviously based on the percentages of people picking against them hardly anyone gets that. Hill will be ready and in upset mode and give the Crimson all they can handle. They have won 10 in a row and this makes 11. Bring on an Eagan rematch on Friday night. They might just win that one too!!
I got Hill 4-3
Agreed with you that Lechner is the best HS coach in the state. I am really interested to see what he does in this game. I think MG SHOULD win, but would not be suprised to see Hill pull the upset esp with Guentzel, Lavalle and Sampair. Not to mention Stefano isn't exactly Scotty Bowman.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Sats81 wrote:
sweetthang wrote:Lechner is the best coach in Minnesota. Obviously based on the percentages of people picking against them hardly anyone gets that. Hill will be ready and in upset mode and give the Crimson all they can handle. They have won 10 in a row and this makes 11. Bring on an Eagan rematch on Friday night. They might just win that one too!!
I got Hill 4-3
Agreed with you that Lechner is the best HS coach in the state. I am really interested to see what he does in this game. I think MG SHOULD win, but would not be suprised to see Hill pull the upset esp with Guentzel, Lavalle and Sampair. Not to mention Stefano isn't exactly Scotty Bowman.
I agree, but for the kid's sake I hope MG can pull out a win with all the talent they have. I'd like to see them perform well in their debut.
BlueLineSpecial

763 wrote:
BlueLineSpecial wrote:

I'm not saying that they don't have experience, I also never said MG has more. I just don't think it will be the deciding factor in the game and I believe MG has the more talented and complete team
As far as the players, I agree. I think HM only has a couple players on the current roster that have Tourney experience. That said, I think coaching experience is a critical factor, and I think you'd agree that the HM coaching staff has a ton of that. At the end of the day, Maple Grove has the talent to win this game, and probably should. But the HM coaching staff will have their boys ready. Should be a great game
Washed Up Alum 181

Post by Washed Up Alum 181 »

The Crimson will be ready to go for this one, I think they proved they can step up in big games with their domination in the section final. But I think they will be nervous and will be holding their sticks a little tighter to start the game. But than again H-M will too, some of their players have not seen much State tourney time as they didn't make it last year. But the Pioneers will be ready to play on tv again. Lechner will have them ready to go. I think Hill-Murray will make a good showing and this will be a great game all the way through but if Maple Grove can play the way they have been lately they should come out on top.

Maple Grove 5
Hill-Murray 3

Even though A and AA aren't comparable, if we learned anything from yesterdays games... Don't get in penalty trouble! I think special teams will play a big role. GO CRIMSON!!!