Goalies as one of the captains

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Has your team currently or in the past ever had a goalie as one of the captains?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:30 am

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

F14

Goalies as one of the captains

Post by F14 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 am

Question, I heard Bitzer of Moorhead and saw Brandon Jones of Spring Lake Park wearing the "C" as one of captains among three on their team. I realize skaters have to meet with refs before games and during.

My sons team voted the other day and yesterday the current graduating captain told my son it "wasn't allowed by HS League rules.". Is this true?

My son was just sitting watching at X yesterday and was confused because he had seen Bitzer play. It made him feel like he must have gotten votes but either our new coach doesn't want any goalie to be one of captains or the current captain was in the loop.

Clarify and list other goalies because for my son to bring it up is not at all like him. He is quiet and even-keeled.

CB00

Post by CB00 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 am

Franke Elk River
Malvin Blaine

I know both were Captains on their teams this year.

goalie'sdad

Re: Goalies as one of the captains

Post by goalie'sdad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 am

F14 wrote:Question, I heard Bitzer of Moorhead and saw Brandon Jones of Spring Lake Park wearing the "C" as one of captains among three on their team. I realize skaters have to meet with refs before games and during.

My sons team voted the other day and yesterday the current graduating captain told my son it "wasn't allowed by HS League rules.". Is this true?

My son was just sitting watching at X yesterday and was confused because he had seen Bitzer play. It made him feel like he must have gotten votes but either our new coach doesn't want any goalie to be one of captains or the current captain was in the loop.

Clarify and list other goalies because for my son to bring it up is not at all like him. He is quiet and even-keeled.
From what I understand is that they can be a captain, but can not leave there crease to talk to the referee's so it really doesn't do the team any good during the game. Your kid DOES NOT need a C on his chest to be a good leader.

Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 am

Moorhead has two "C" captains on the team and two "A" alternates. Bitzer, Bryant Christian are captains. These players are respected one and off the ice as leaders of the team....

sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:55 am

Potatohead9 wrote:These players are respected on and off the ice as leaders of the team....
+1 I think this is most case scenarios for goalies being captains...in my own opinion a captain does ALOT more then just "talk" to refs so. so when i hear people say goalies cant be captains it seems a little meh...

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:03 am

On the ice, goalies with a C don't really do much of anything. But not everything about being a captain is on the ice.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Morris from New Prague captain!

Roy01

Post by Roy01 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:42 am

I am a goaltender and was captain of my high school team as well. Though there is very little you can do (such as not speak to refs after calls and all else) I think it's more of a symbol to a team. Like it was said earlier, maybe they can lead by performance on the ice and example off ice.