Bruce Plante

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

royals03

Post by royals03 »

As a Rogers fan and a little upset about getting ousted every year by H-town, Rogers can hold their head's high knowing that they lost to the best public A school each of the last 3 years. I guess that takes a little sting away as a fan, but i am sure a small consolation to the coaches and players from both teams since it seems not to matter because it looks like privates are going to win it every year.
I am not against kids going to private school for education which is why I am sure all these outstanding hockey players choose St. Thomas.
The Universe

Post by The Universe »

Haha oh god what a character.

"Gotta keep playing your ass off..."

"Their faster than hell.."

After the second period in a quick interview.
easton18

Post by easton18 »

Can't wait to hear what Plante has to say after this one...
defense

Post by defense »

royals03 wrote:As a Rogers fan and a little upset about getting ousted every year by H-town, Rogers can hold their head's high knowing that they lost to the best public A school each of the last 3 years. I guess that takes a little sting away as a fan, but i am sure a small consolation to the coaches and players from both teams since it seems not to matter because it looks like privates are going to win it every year.
I am not against kids going to private school for education which is why I am sure all these outstanding hockey players choose St. Thomas.
You're right, let's all just give up....it 'aint worth the effort to compete....give in to the private schools...they're superior in every aspect of everything.......concede.....
I think they should just designate 8 private schools a class a section champion and just let them play the class A tournement...one of them will win it anyway.......

Is this what we are coming to?????
Dan has it right, we are done as a society....
royals03

Post by royals03 »

Ok "defense" so you think it is ok that a team with 5 losses going into the champioship game is the favorite in most people's minds over an undefeated team.
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

easton18 wrote:Can't wait to hear what Plante has to say after this one...
he already threw all his excuses out there before the game started.
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20
Master Recruiter

Post by Master Recruiter »

royals03 wrote:Ok "defense" so you think it is ok that a team with 5 losses going into the champioship game is the favorite in most people's minds over an undefeated team.
a team that was 29-0 or whatever was clearly overmatched.

lol, way to go St. Thomas!
defense

Post by defense »

Tell's me a couple things:
A team with 5 losses played a helluva schedule.
An undefeated team was given the top seed based on the fact that they are undefeated and had a helluva season. Rightfully so.
While one team lost 5 games, they were losses to dang tough teams. This is not to say that the undefeated team played a weak schedule, they just likely didn't play as tough a schedule.

Even with that information, the biggest thing it tells me is that most people's minds are way screwed up.
Telling me that Hermantown played their best game today???
royals03

Post by royals03 »

ok hockey mind should ST Thomas move up or not?
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

royals03 wrote:ok hockey mind should ST Thomas move up or not?
Depends if they are cowards or not. At some point chasing titles has to get boring, no?
blueblood

Sta

Post by blueblood »

Not much else for STA to prove at the current level. Why don't you form a SSM type program and leave the MSHSL?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

St. Thomas winning the class A title interests me as much as the person that won the LPGA tournament last week.
defense

Post by defense »

Should St. Thomas move up??? Most likely. I can't say for sure, I mean I am in no way connected to their program enough to know it, but it seems to me that they should see that they are a class AA caliber program, and have the personal pride to play against the higher caliber programs in the state.
Should the MSHSL force them to AA??? No, it is not their place. They set standards, not moral codes. The standard used to determine division in MSHSL hockey is enrollment numbers, not caliber of program, success, location, or advantage.
Do I have a problem with St. Thomas playing in class A? Not at all, as long as they are following the rules set out by the governing body.
Have I been stung by the private schools the way Hermantown fans are now?
Absolutely, my alma matter took more than it's share from Benilde and Breck.
The Universe

Post by The Universe »

Did Coach Plante do a post game interview today? If so is it online that I could watch/read.
2good4u

Post by 2good4u »

Hermantown is still the public school champions for single a, here's the deal hermantown had a good team with a horrible goalie, plante was talking him up and building confidence for a weak goalie, but the last public school team to beat up on the private schools in class a was....

HERMANTOWN who also had an undefeated season, think about that
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

sachishi4 wrote:
easton18 wrote:Can't wait to hear what Plante has to say after this one...
he already threw all his excuses out there before the game started.
Don't mistake excuses for the truth.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I got to the X just in time for the press conference. Plante wasn't quite as ridiculous today, and the MSHSL rep hustled him out before he could launch another discourse.

He said there wasn't much Hermantown could've done differently. He was very respectful of STA, saying they "have three first lines" while Hermantown only has one, creating matchup problems all night. He said they "play the game right and back-check like maniacs." He mentioned that he now has something in common with Brendan Flaherty (three straight title game losses) and gave some insights on leadership amongst high schoolers and the strength of the Hermantown hockey community.

I wish I could convey his tone, too. He just has a certain charisma; even his comments on private schools, which are fairly pointed, come across as lighthearted suggestions. He sure doesn't sound like he's making excuses or whining. If anything, I thought it was a mind game he was trying to play with everyone.

He did leave us with one gem. He was going through a bunch of his seniors thanking them, and got to senior winger Jeremy Amys. He said he's a great player, hard worker, etc., then, "the only problem he has is that he's got red hair."
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I'm surprised the Cadets (Tommies, whatever) are able to attract so many solid players when the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is drumming Mound, Mahtomedi, and Hermantown.

Oh, I forgot Totino and Providence.
Be kind. Rewind.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

karl(east) wrote:I got to the X just in time for the press conference. Plante wasn't quite as ridiculous today, and the MSHSL rep hustled him out before he could launch another discourse.
Must be embarrassing to have a guy with such humor and great rapport with the press corps give you the what for. :lol:
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Melvin wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I got to the X just in time for the press conference. Plante wasn't quite as ridiculous today, and the MSHSL rep hustled him out before he could launch another discourse.
Must be embarrassing to have a guy with such humor and great rapport with the press corps give you the what for. :lol:
Bruce Plant is last of a dying bread. Hope he coaches another decade. Will be hard for any community based programs to win in the future with sweeping demographic changes but damn those quotes are candid as hell.
WE LOVE YOU BRUCE!!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

O-townClown wrote:I'm surprised the Cadets (Tommies, whatever) are able to attract so many solid players when the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is drumming Mound, Mahtomedi, and Hermantown.

Oh, I forgot Totino and Providence.
Totally Agree! Have you looked at Breck's schedule, they should be embarassed to even play those teams.