Grant Besse

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

The Exiled One wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: I dunno what is about those Sampair's but they are amongst the fastest skaters. The Sampair that played for Hill in '97 was extremely fast, and now this Sampair. Must be in the genes. I think there was also a Sampair or two that might have played for Mahtomedi.
If you're referring to Brandon Sampair, I believe he graduated in '96. He was a great player for SCSU. I hope his cousin Charlie keeps his options open instead of signing with the WHL. Even if it means he goes D1 with somebody other than the Huskies, I hate losing Minnesotans to Major Juniors.
Yes, Brandon Sampair was a really good player. Almost certain he graduated in 97 not 96 though.
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

I was at the Hill vs South game..To say Sampair shut down Kloos is a little misleading. Once Hill got up by a goal they start putting 3,4 and I even saw 5 guys in the nuetral zone whenever Kloos was on the ice in order to trap him the moment he crossed the red line. Many teams did this and you could even see it in the tournament many teams would not forecheck hard when he was out there so they could trap him in the nuetral zone and not allow him to gain speed in the open ice. He still makes plays regardless and he set up 2 of the 3 goals South scored that game. He has amazing determination and never really seems to get frusterated when the other team would run him for focus 2 guys on him. I think he will be great at the U because he is a play maker and teams won't be able to focus just on stopping him.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

RickyTicky wrote:I was at the Hill vs South game..To say Sampair shut down Kloos is a little misleading. Once Hill got up by a goal they start putting 3,4 and I even saw 5 guys in the nuetral zone whenever Kloos was on the ice in order to trap him the moment he crossed the red line. Many teams did this and you could even see it in the tournament many teams would not forecheck hard when he was out there so they could trap him in the nuetral zone and not allow him to gain speed in the open ice. He still makes plays regardless and he set up 2 of the 3 goals South scored that game. He has amazing determination and never really seems to get frusterated when the other team would run him for focus 2 guys on him. I think he will be great at the U because he is a play maker and teams won't be able to focus just on stopping him.
And his strengths really fit the Gophers style of play as well. I think he'll thrive in Lucia's system.
zboni99

Post by zboni99 »

Grant, take a bow you were too good Saturday night.

Since this thread is all things Besse and the latest tangent seems stale:

Who wins State:

Edina: Moore, Labosky, Commers, Lauth

Wayzata: Besse, Horton, Opperman, Lucia
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

zboni99 wrote:Grant, take a bow you were too good Saturday night.

Who wins State:

"Latest tangent"? Try "Original topic".

And to answer your question, Wayzata.
zboni99

Post by zboni99 »

Gee Dubbs, din't mean to upset you.

Besse, Spehar no Spehar, Besse

or

Why isn't Besse at Minnesota.

Why Wayzata, they din't even make it out of the section?
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

zboni99 wrote:Gee Dubbs, din't mean to upset you.

Besse, Spehar no Spehar, Besse

or

Why isn't Besse at Minnesota.

Why Wayzata, they din't even make it out of the section?
Hey, I didn't start the thread, so don't blame me if you don't like the topic. But please don't call our on-topic discussion a "tangent" either.

And to answer your question, they didn't have Besse or Lucia either.
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

Grant is a good player at this level. There must be something the "big" guys don't see in his play that they feel he will succeed at the next level (Gophers) and obviously the NHL has seen him play numerous time and feel he wouldn't be able to compete in their league. It will be interesting to see if they change their minds in the final Central Scouting rankings. But, I highly doubt it.
green4

Post by green4 »

Who wins State:

Austin from Blake also would play for Edina. He is very good, Captain as a soph. Plus Letteri went to tonka but played some youth hockey in Edina as a Peewee i bealive
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

green4 wrote:

Who wins State:

Austin from Blake also would play for Edina. He is very good, Captain as a soph. Plus Letteri went to tonka but played some youth hockey in Edina as a Peewee i bealive
You are correct, Lettieri did play for Edina in Bantams I believe.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

ticktacktonka wrote:Grant is a good player at this level. There must be something the "big" guys don't see in his play that they feel he will succeed at the next level (Gophers) and obviously the NHL has seen him play numerous time and feel he wouldn't be able to compete in their league. It will be interesting to see if they change their minds in the final Central Scouting rankings. But, I highly doubt it.
Perhaps he couldn't bust through the Lucia/Nanne brotherhood.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
ticktacktonka wrote:Grant is a good player at this level. There must be something the "big" guys don't see in his play that they feel he will succeed at the next level (Gophers) and obviously the NHL has seen him play numerous time and feel he wouldn't be able to compete in their league. It will be interesting to see if they change their minds in the final Central Scouting rankings. But, I highly doubt it.
Perhaps he couldn't bust through the Lucia/Nanne brotherhood.
The recruitment of Nanne and Lettieri had nothing to do with the Gophers not going after Besse.
eastsideguy

Post by eastsideguy »

green4 wrote:

Who wins State:

Benny Walker would have been pretty good this year as well for Edina
JackiO

Post by JackiO »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
wingman wrote:Sats81 wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Kloos didn't do that much for me. I didn't really care for his work ethic when he didn't have the puck, or was stopped with the puck. He didn't stick out the way Besse or Sampair did. Sometimes I felt like he disappeared.

This is hilarious. Especially to those of us who have actually watched him play a considerable amount of hockey. So because you have probably seen him play once, on TV albeit you just pigeonhole him as a player. Sampair is a nice HS player but not even close to Kloos.

FYI: When LS played HM in head to head competition Charlie Sampair stopped Kloos cold, playing defense for the game, a position he hasn't played since squirts. I'd like to see Kloos Stop Sampair at 6-1 and 190 while Sampair plays forward for the game and Kloos plays defense...Sampair had a role to fill this year helping some young D, and when the D where out sick (Heinrick) he stepped in and helped his team win against LS--and deposited Kloos in the back of the net. Kinda of sick and tired of hearing Sampair is an OK High School Player. He is a Team player first and foremost, he has the best speed and hands in the state, and he led his team in goals all the while playing both ways hard. Just ask the kid from maple Grove that ended up in the players box when Sampair thought it was time for that kid to have a line change...Besse and Kloos did not do that this year....but they sure scored alot of goals.
I dunno what is about those Sampair's but they are amongst the fastest skaters. The Sampair that played for Hill in '97 was extremely fast, and now this Sampair. Must be in the genes. I think there was also a Sampair or two that might have played for Mahtomedi.
You are referring to Jesse Sampair and Brandon Sampair. They played on the best team Mahtomedi has fielded in at least the last 25 years in 1994. Jesse was a senior that year and Brandon was a freshman. Brandon than transferred his sophomore year to Hill.
zboni99

Post by zboni99 »

Yes, Benny add him to the roster and I completely forgot about Johnny Austin. I have heard a few people say his game has blossomed on the blue line.

You are right Dubbs, I got lost in the thread with the Spehar and Mr. hockey. I enjoyed all 9 pages.

So now what do you think, I like the Hornets chance.

One year PW for Lettieri, he is Tonka all the way.
JDUBBS1280

Post by JDUBBS1280 »

zboni99 wrote:Yes, Benny add him to the roster and I completely forgot about Johnny Austin. I have heard a few people say his game has blossomed on the blue line.

You are right Dubbs, I got lost in the thread with the Spehar and Mr. hockey. I enjoyed all 9 pages.

So now what do you think, I like the Hornets chance.

One year PW for Lettieri, he is Tonka all the way.
No prob man :)

I think you're right. That Edina squad would have been stacked. Would have made for an unbelievable game.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

RickyTicky wrote:I was at the Hill vs South game..To say Sampair shut down Kloos is a little misleading. Once Hill got up by a goal they start putting 3,4 and I even saw 5 guys in the nuetral zone whenever Kloos was on the ice in order to trap him the moment he crossed the red line. Many teams did this and you could even see it in the tournament many teams would not forecheck hard when he was out there so they could trap him in the nuetral zone and not allow him to gain speed in the open ice. He still makes plays regardless and he set up 2 of the 3 goals South scored that game. He has amazing determination and never really seems to get frusterated when the other team would run him for focus 2 guys on him. I think he will be great at the U because he is a play maker and teams won't be able to focus just on stopping him.
Agreed on this.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sats81 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: I dunno what is about those Sampair's but they are amongst the fastest skaters. The Sampair that played for Hill in '97 was extremely fast, and now this Sampair. Must be in the genes. I think there was also a Sampair or two that might have played for Mahtomedi.
If you're referring to Brandon Sampair, I believe he graduated in '96. He was a great player for SCSU. I hope his cousin Charlie keeps his options open instead of signing with the WHL. Even if it means he goes D1 with somebody other than the Huskies, I hate losing Minnesotans to Major Juniors.
Yes, Brandon Sampair was a really good player. Almost certain he graduated in 97 not 96 though.
He was in '97 since he was in the lineup against Edina in the state semi.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: If you're referring to Brandon Sampair, I believe he graduated in '96. He was a great player for SCSU. I hope his cousin Charlie keeps his options open instead of signing with the WHL. Even if it means he goes D1 with somebody other than the Huskies, I hate losing Minnesotans to Major Juniors.
He was in '97 since he was in the lineup against Edina in the state semi.
Correct. He graduated in 1997
RickyTicky

Post by RickyTicky »

So he graduated 97 then? :wink:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

RickyTicky wrote:So he graduated 97 then? :wink:
Who did? ;)
Neuuman

Post by Neuuman »

The Exiled One wrote:
RickyTicky wrote:So he graduated 97 then? :wink:
Who did? ;)
One of the Sampair's - maybe Brandon???? :?: :?: :?: :P

Let's move on, shall we :?: :?: :?:
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Looks like he's coming back for Sr. season.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

JDUBBS1280 wrote:
And his strengths really fit the Gophers style of play as well. I think he'll thrive in Lucia's system.[/quo

The gophers did in fact pursue Besse just to clear up your "facts". Maybe not as hard as Wisconsin and some other schools but they did talk to him and were interested. He chose Wisconsin.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Reggie wrote:Looks like he's coming back for Sr. season.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/146747045.html