High School players playing USHL this spring

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gopherpuck516

High School players playing USHL this spring

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:21 pm

I know of Lettieri, Bischoff, and Dickman, but are there any other MSHSL players playing on USHL teams now that the high school season is over?

money

Post by money » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Sam Rothstein (Minnetonka) - Sioux Falls

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Michael Brodzinski

Northfan99

Post by Northfan99 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Opperman -Tri City

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Trevor Olson- Green Bay

observer

Post by observer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:07 am

Eli May Tri City USHL
Tyler Sheehy Waterloo USHL

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:45 am

The Insider wrote:Trevor Olson- Green Bay
What d-1s are giving him a look?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:46 am

money wrote:Sam Rothstein (Minnetonka) - Sioux Falls
He's gonna be an excellent college player. Mark my words.

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:32 pm

I totally agree about Rothstein. The college that picks him up is going to get a great player. Anyone remember Prochno from Minnetonka? Nobody wanted him. He's not doing to bad with St. Cloud. All WCHA rookie team

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:46 pm

knowitall wrote:I totally agree about Rothstein. The college that picks him up is going to get a great player. Anyone remember Prochno from Minnetonka? Nobody wanted him. He's not doing to bad with St. Cloud. All WCHA rookie team
Might as well join his buddy Prochno at State. (no clue if their actually friends)

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 pm

GordonBombay99 wrote:
knowitall wrote:I totally agree about Rothstein. The college that picks him up is going to get a great player. Anyone remember Prochno from Minnetonka? Nobody wanted him. He's not doing to bad with St. Cloud. All WCHA rookie team
Might as well join his buddy Prochno at State. (no clue if their actually friends)
Prochno is a really good d-man. Great offensive skills. Thought he was really good in HS too.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 pm

Arrival of Minnesota prep star helps Lincoln Stars

http://journalstar.com/sports/hockey/st ... 31334.html

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Sats81 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:
Prochno is a really good d-man. Great offensive skills. Thought he was really good in HS too.
One of Motzko's best pickups for sure.

blindref

Post by blindref » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:30 am

I really enjoy watching him and Jensen play together.
Proves you don't have to be 6'4" to be a solid D1 defenseman.

GTTN

Post by GTTN » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Sats81 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:
He should have won Mr. Hockey!! Fly's under the radar just like Rothstein. Andrew and Sam know each other pretty well since Andrew's younger brother Michael is in the same grade as Sam and they are buddies.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:09 pm

GTTN wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:
He should have won Mr. Hockey!! Fly's under the radar just like Rothstein. Andrew and Sam know each other pretty well since Andrew's younger brother Michael is in the same grade as Sam and they are buddies.
I read somewhere that Baskin was also looking at State. The Skippers/Huskies pipeline might still have something in it.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Jordan Gross in Green Bay

GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:46 pm

The Exiled One wrote:
GTTN wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:
I read somewhere that Baskin was also looking at State. The Skippers/Huskies pipeline might still have something in it.
Baskin would be a big body with scoring ability that State would need considering they dont have many big forwards. Minnesonka has a few D1 caliber players on their roster and im sure Prochno would love to have another come join him.

nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:23 pm

GordonBombay99 wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
GTTN wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
GordonBombay99 wrote:
Baskin would be a big body with scoring ability that State would need considering they dont have many big forwards. Minnesonka has a few D1 caliber players on their roster and im sure Prochno would love to have another come join him.
I'm not sure that Baskin would go to SCSU. I heard he was getting looks from Harvard and other Ivy Leagues so I doubt he would go for SCSU with the GPA he has. (Not to say smart kids don't go there) Just my speculation.

grandmeadowhockeyfan

Next season

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:33 am

Can players play in ushl or other jr team and still come back for 12-13 season.

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 am

Yes, I believe so.

You can add Karson Kulhman - he is Dubuque right now

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:49 am

blindref wrote:I really enjoy watching him and Jensen play together.
Proves you don't have to be 6'4" to be a solid D1 defenseman.
True, Prochno and Jensen have to be one of the best defensive tandems in the league right now. They were solid and fun to watch.

As a side note, I thought SCSU gave UND their toughest game over the weekend.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:46 am

nikebauer05 wrote: I'm not sure that Baskin would go to SCSU. I heard he was getting looks from Harvard and other Ivy Leagues so I doubt he would go for SCSU with the GPA he has. (Not to say smart kids don't go there) Just my speculation.
Dude, OUCH. Three reasons he might still want to go there: 1) A friend of his commits there; 2) Harvard and other Ivies don't give athletic scholarships; 3) There are some smart people who go to SCSU. A few former D1 Huskies have even gone on to be doctors. More than a few have become high level hockey coaches.

I'm not saying you're wrong about him wanting to go Ivy, but automatically assuming smart kids don't go to SCSU is just plain false. Mike Lee, Drew LeBlanc, and Jordy Christian are all "straight A" students. LeBlanc is likely to be taking graduate level classes next year if he chooses to come back for a 'medical redshirt' season.

nikebauer05

Post by nikebauer05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

The Exiled One wrote:
nikebauer05 wrote: I'm not sure that Baskin would go to SCSU. I heard he was getting looks from Harvard and other Ivy Leagues so I doubt he would go for SCSU with the GPA he has. (Not to say smart kids don't go there) Just my speculation.
Dude, OUCH. Three reasons he might still want to go there: 1) A friend of his commits there; 2) Harvard and other Ivies don't give athletic scholarships; 3) There are some smart people who go to SCSU. A few former D1 Huskies have even gone on to be doctors. More than a few have become high level hockey coaches.

I'm not saying you're wrong about him wanting to go Ivy, but automatically assuming smart kids don't go to SCSU is just plain false. Mike Lee, Drew LeBlanc, and Jordy Christian are all "straight A" students. LeBlanc is likely to be taking graduate level classes next year if he chooses to come back for a 'medical redshirt' season.
I was being a little blunt but if you didn't notice I said "not to say smart kids don't go there". Your point about Ivy Leagues is true that they don't give out athletic scholarships but they still find ways to give it to athletes especially if they are smart but wouldn't qualify for the scholarship if they weren't athletes. I think most people would take an Ivy league scholarship over one from SCSU.

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:52 am

nikebauer05 wrote: I was being a little blunt but if you didn't notice I said "not to say smart kids don't go there". Your point about Ivy Leagues is true that they don't give out athletic scholarships but they still find ways to give it to athletes especially if they are smart but wouldn't qualify for the scholarship if they weren't athletes. I think most people would take an Ivy league scholarship over one from SCSU.
The Ivy League schools have, in recent years, made an effort to make college affordable for all of their students, not just the athletes. The quality of athletes in all of their sports have increased significantly as a result...anybody have Harvard in their brackets this past weekend?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aid_031412

It's pretty sweet when you're given an opportunity to play D1 hockey, with a financial aid/scholarship package that is guaranteed whether you play or not (or get injured, or go pre-med). That's the great advantage over any athletic scholarship offered by any D1 program.

That said, SDSU does have something that the Ivy's don't....location, location, location. I think it's something like 85% of Mn high school grads end up going to college either in Mn or in an adjacent state. Upper Midwestern kids just like to hang around. And it's a whole lot easier for your family to watch you play up at that next level when you're just down the road.