Paul Bittner

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Reggie

Paul Bittner

Post by Reggie »

Signed with Portland of WHL
ticktacktonka

Post by ticktacktonka »

Who is Paul Bittner? Never heard of him.
observer

Post by observer »

bemused

Paul Bittner

Post by bemused »

I think it is worth noting that this kid's Dad is:

A) Current Director of Boys High School Hockey for Minnesota Hockey

B) Minnesota public High School teacher

C) Coach of Crookston High School hockey team

D) A member of Minnesota High School Hockey Coaches Hall of Fame. Class of 2000

Had to be a tough decision..but what does it say when this guy pulls his kid from high school hockey... OUCH!!!!

Not a great endorsement for the future..
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

observer

Post by observer »

Interesting article on the Portland site.

http://winterhawks.com/article/winterha ... ul-bittner

Portland seems to be chasing more than the average WHL share of young American players. They see something.
goalie'sdad

Re: Paul Bittner

Post by goalie'sdad »

bemused wrote:I think it is worth noting that this kid's Dad is:

Had to be a tough decision..but what does it say when this guy pulls his kid from high school hockey... OUCH!!!!

It couldn't be that he lives in Crookston. I think you are reading WAY to much into this one. They have never been relavent in section 8 and that is not going to change any time soon.
Hoc2x21

Post by Hoc2x21 »

goalie'sdad wrote:

It couldn't be that he lives in Crookston. I think you are reading WAY to much into this one. They have never been relavent in section 8 and that is not going to change any time soon.
I think once he didn't get offered a spot on the U 17 National team he decided to take the Winterhawks offer.
I think you are going start seeing more kids in the north from class A schools going this route. There are only so many College scholarships available and the majority are going to kids in AA programs with ice year around.
Best of luck to Paul in your next step toward your dream! \:D/
mn miracle man

Post by mn miracle man »

I couldn't agree more, what kind of message does this send to the kids of that community? As if it isn't bad enough that a young man is leaving his community to chase the nhl dream, he is leaving the opportunity to play college hockey in the wcha as a mn boy, play for his father, and play with his brother (who will be a senior).

This has got to be a kick in the ***** for the people of crookston and especially the dad, basically saying that you can't make me better but juniors can.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

It is a good move for the kid, nothing wrong with it at all. The facts stated tell you that MN High School hockey is losing its luster and more bone head moves like mid season rule changes will only increase this type of activity.
supertacks

Post by supertacks »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:

It is a good move for the kid, nothing wrong with it at all. The facts stated tell you that MN High School hockey is losing its luster and more bone head moves like mid season rule changes will only increase this type of activity.
Hard to call any move as good that a 9th grader for god sakes takes that totally eliminates any chance of them ever playing hockey in college. I can't imagine what those parents of mite age kids are facing in the future as their kids advance. It's getting totally ridiculous!
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

supertacks wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:

Hard to call any move as good that a 9th grader for god sakes takes that totally eliminates any chance of them ever playing hockey in college. I can't imagine what those parents of mite age kids are facing in the future as their kids advance. It's getting totally ridiculous!
He can play in college, just in Canada. I actually don't have a problem with this. He (and Iverson) did it the right way. They never committed to a college program only to back out and they went early. Going to the WHL at their age they will be able to play against older, better competition...getting the most out of what the WHL has to offer. I don't understand Walker's move, he went in as an 18 year old and only has 2 years to play (unless they keep him as an overager). Good luck to Paul and Keegan.
Yakunin

Post by Yakunin »

I think this is a major mistake by both of these players. Name me the last Minnesotan who left at this age and actually made it to the NHL. I would be surprised if you can even think of 5 players in the last 10 years. The odds are not on their favor!

What about gettting a free ride to college if they would have stayed. They gave up a lot of in my opinion NOTHING except playing against older players?? This does not make sense.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

Yakunin wrote:I think this is a major mistake by both of these players. Name me the last Minnesotan who left at this age and actually made it to the NHL. I would be surprised if you can even think of 5 players in the last 10 years. The odds are not on their favor!

What about gettting a free ride to college if they would have stayed. They gave up a lot of in my opinion NOTHING except playing against older players?? This does not make sense.
Name me the last player from Crookston that had a shot at playing in the NHL. How about even tier one junior hockey? He will not get the attention he deserves if he stays at Crookston. The odds aren't in his favor if he stays at home. It must have been a difficult decision for him and his family, especially with his dad as coach, in the end they have to do what they feel is best for him as a player.
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

As a high school and college hockey fan I'm bummed that we won't see players like Bittner and Iverson play here in high school and college, I don't think they made a bad choice at all. They will be playing against NHL draft picks night in and night out as 16 year olds. Best case scenario they get drafted by an NHL club and go on to have a pro hockey career, worst case scenario they get some, if not all, of their college education paid for at a Canadian university. I don't know anything about how Canadian colleges compare to US colleges academically, but like an earlier poster said, these kids did it the right way and I'll look forward to tracking their progress in the WHL.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

As I mentioned on Twitter, I don't see the need for any kid to give up his chances of getting a scholarship to a good NCAA school at such a young age. It is an absolute waste and unnecessary.

30% of the players that played in the NHL this season where from NCAA hockey. That number is increasing. It cannot be denied that NCAA hockey is becoming more and more of a factor in the NHL.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/re ... s-play-nhl

Not only do we see more college players get to the pros but they are getting some of their college education taken care of. Play a game you love, get a quality education at the same time, work on your physical/mental maturity, and enjoy being among your peers in school.

If you work hard and have the ability, you'll make it going the NCAA route too. Don't be a sucker for that stupid CHL marketing pitch.

I know every case is unique and I don't know all the facts behind these kids. But I think it is a shame when these situations occur. Especially with a kid this age.

PS - Anybody talking about the educational package in the CHL needs to realize its limitations as well. For instance, the education package becomes void if a guy reaches the AHL level or if he plays in an Elite European League. It also has other limitations attached. So its not as great of a situation as they try to make it out to be.
mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan »

Gopher Blog wrote:As I mentioned on Twitter, I don't see the need for any kid to give up his chances of getting a scholarship to a good NCAA school at such a young age. It is an absolute waste and unnecessary.

30% of the players that played in the NHL this season where from NCAA hockey. That number is increasing. It cannot be denied that NCAA hockey is becoming more and more of a factor in the NHL.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/re ... s-play-nhl

Not only do we see more college players get to the pros but they are getting some of their college education taken care of. Play a game you love, get a quality education at the same time, work on your physical/mental maturity, and enjoy being among your peers in school.

If you work hard and have the ability, you'll make it going the NCAA route too. Don't be a sucker for that stupid CHL marketing pitch.

I know every case is unique and I don't know all the facts behind these kids. But I think it is a shame when these situations occur. Especially with a kid this age.

PS - Anybody talking about the educational package in the CHL needs to realize its limitations as well. For instance, the education package becomes void if a guy reaches the AHL level or if he plays in an Elite European League. It also has other limitations attached. So its not as great of a situation as they try to make it out to be.
I don't disagree with you, but these at least these kids left without backing out on anyone...that's what pisses me off the most about the CHL.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

85% of all NCAA Hockey players graduate with their degrees. The CHL's college graduation rate is 16% because there is no accountability for education. ~Alberta newspaper article

All the players go in "knowing" they will make the NHL.... How many actually do?
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

Yakunin wrote:I think this is a major mistake by both of these players. Name me the last Minnesotan who left at this age and actually made it to the NHL. I would be surprised if you can even think of 5 players in the last 10 years. The odds are not on their favor!

Actually, if he plays in the WHL until he's 20 he just guaranteed himself a 4 year full scholarship to any school of his choice. Of course, he wouldn't be able to play hockey for that school, but it's still an all expenses paid college education, if he chooses to use it. And no, it does NOT have to be a Canadian University, the tuition and fees reimbursed are based off public university numbers from the players home state or province. As GopherBlog said, the real catch are the circumstances that go with it if the player does make it to a certain level of professional hockey.

And to answer your other question, no I don't believe it increases a players NHL chances in the long run. There have been very few to leave for the CHL this young, so of course not many have made it to the NHL. That said, the ones that come to mind would be Kurt and Michael Sauer from St. Cloud and Peter Mueller from Bloomington.
deacon64

Post by deacon64 »

MrBoDangles wrote:85% of all NCAA Hockey players graduate with their degrees. The CHL's college graduation rate is 16% because there is no accountability for education. ~Alberta newspaper article

All the players go in "knowing" they will make the NHL.... How many actually do?
If this is true makes sense to agree with Gopher Blog guy. Personnelly would have regrets if had given up last 2 years of HS to spend with buddies and play HS sports.
Last edited by deacon64 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Blame them for what? The kid wants a chance to experience something new. Maybe there is more to life than MN High School hockey???
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:Blame them for what? The kid wants a chance to experience something new. Maybe there is more to life than MN High School hockey???
I agree. There are many options to play the game outside of mn high school hockey. The 25 games of "no check" hockey is not the utopia of hockey.

None of these programs can promise an NHL contract at the end of day so all the reason to try something "different" if a kid and family decide to try another option so be it.

College hockey like all college sports exploits young athletes like no other occupation in this country. Colleges rake in millions at the expense of young talent and far more kids wash out than "make it". You blow out a knee and you are yesterdays news and the always fickle fans forget you ever played.

Way to go young Bittner (Iverson, Walker, etc) for trying something outside the "norm" nothing wrong with that at all.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:College hockey like all college sports exploits young athletes like no other occupation in this country....
Way to go young Bittner (Iverson, Walker, etc) for trying something outside the "norm" nothing wrong with that at all.
Every player has the opportunity to decide what's best for him. If college sports "exploits" these young athletes, why are so many of them so anxious to land a four year scholarship that can be worth over $200,000?

And it's not like the Canadian junior leagues are non-profit charity organizations!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

So if you blow out a knee in Canada do they put your picture up in the arena has an honorary hall of fame member.

Do you think Iverson was one of those kids that went to Breck because of the education? LoL!!

To each their own, but my opinion is you give up to much to go north of the border for something that isnt guaranteed anyways. Plenty, plenty of Minnesotans doing just fine in the NHL that went the college route. The old saying...if you are good enough than you will make it eventually.

Someone said there might be more important things than MN high school hockey. Correct! Its called going to movies, playing baseball, lacrosse, golf, going to the lake, hanging out with friends/family, etc...Thats what you meant, right?

Maybe I should send my squirt to Canada. I wonder if he can graduate from high school by 9th grade to accelerate his NHL career. LoL! This forum cracks me up more and more everyday.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:You blow out a knee and you are yesterdays news and the always fickle fans forget you ever played.
LOL! You think they'll be treated better in the CHL? You're delusional.

A perfect example is when David Carle could no longer play hockey when it was discovered he had a heart condition the summer before he was to start playing for DU. DU lived up to its promises and he retained his scholarship (and is graduating this spring). Not to mention, he was considered a part of the team all four years. You think any CHL team would go that far for a kid that never played one minute of hockey for them? Fat chance.

Given the current level of student loan debt your average college student has when he/she graduates, these college athletes are hardly being given the shaft when they get a full ride (or, in hockey, a 75% ride). Most of the student population would kill to have that much of their school needs covered over four years. College athletes typically don't have to think twice about student loan debt when they get their degree. Exploited? I'd imagine thousands of kids across the country would love to be "exploited" like that.