The sky is falling?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sartellcelly

Chicken Little

Post by Sartellcelly »

Hurley next? Buzz getting louder.
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

There is already a 3 page thread on this topic...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=50
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

OnFrozenPond wrote:There is already a 3 page thread on this topic...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=50
Dang, sorry about that.
flatontheice

Re: The sky is falling?

Post by flatontheice »

The Elite League was only able to fend off the early exits for so long. The dilution in that league will only get worse now considering the financial condition it is in too.
observer

Post by observer »

considering the financial condition it is in.
Please do tell.
Inspector Cluseau

Post by Inspector Cluseau »

"Four prep standouts won't return as seniors"should read "Four Preps blow off community and high school classmates"... Webster dictionary re-evaluates the definition of "Loyalty"... It is a noun and is not part of the english vocabulary in some parents minds...some parents replace this word with "faithlessness", "falseness" and/ or "infidelity". All I can say is "Thank God our family lives in an area where our family values still use the words community, friends and family". It's not me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me.

I'm not denying parents to have a dream (we all do), but I think it can wait till after high school. A hug, pat on the back, a smile, etc.; are priceless for me as a parent. I'm 50 years old with 3 kids and I don't understand how a parent would let their kid leave high school early. Apparently my values differ than other parents. I am half norweigen and half german. It must be the german in me to react the way I do.

Like everyone else on this board, it's just an opinion. To each his own!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

As long as a kid finishes out the season with the team he started it with, I think that he is loyal. After that, all bets are off.
ASmoothSheet

Post by ASmoothSheet »

[quote]Like everyone else on this board, it's just an opinion. To each his own![/quote]

:roll: apply this to your own post
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Inspector Cluseau wrote:"Four prep standouts won't return as seniors"should read "Four Preps blow off community and high school classmates"... Webster dictionary re-evaluates the definition of "Loyalty"... It is a noun and is not part of the english vocabulary in some parents minds...some parents replace this word with "faithlessness", "falseness" and/ or "infidelity". All I can say is "Thank God our family lives in an area where our family values still use the words community, friends and family". It's not me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me.

I'm not denying parents to have a dream (we all do), but I think it can wait till after high school. A hug, pat on the back, a smile, etc.; are priceless for me as a parent. I'm 50 years old with 3 kids and I don't understand how a parent would let their kid leave high school early. Apparently my values differ than other parents. I am half norweigen and half german. It must be the german in me to react the way I do.

Like everyone else on this board, it's just an opinion. To each his own!
Is a kid a traitor if they leave their high school's ochestra for an invitation to enroll at Julliard?
BBB

Post by BBB »

A hug, pat on the back, a smile, etc.; are priceless for me as a parent. I'm 50 years old with 3 kids and I don't understand how a parent would let their kid leave high school early.
They are not abandoning their kids or vice versa. Oh and the kids will still go to school too. My guess is there was a discussion with the parents and kids and they mutually agreed on the paths they chose. These kids are taking a risk by going and playing against older, better players so I really can't doubt players who do this. It's definitely not the easy path to take when they load up their car in late August and head to live with some people they have never met; not to mention they have to adapt to maybe being a 2nd or 3rd line player or a 4th defenseman.
Regardless of what your kids choose to do you can still hug them or pat them on the back...just don't shower with them.
Inspector Cluseau

Post by Inspector Cluseau »

Nice job BBB! I do see your point.

Three years ago I was in Roseau for a Bantam A tournament and I ran into a parent that was all ticked off because the UMD coach hadn't contacted him regarding his kid. He freaked out. Very uncomfortable situation and he didn't leave it alone. It was on and on and on. We all know a parent like that.

I understand that a parent wouldn't abandon their kids......I was just questioning their decision. I can agree to disagree and I don't shower with them!! (That comment hit my funny bone!!!)
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

A kid that leaves MN HS to play in for USA 18's, USHL or Major JR Canada makes perfect sense. But the ones that leave for Midget AAA, NAHL, or Tier II Jr is puzzling. The only "traitors" are the kids that grow up playing youth hockey for an association then open enroll to a high school 30 miles away because they offer "better opportunities".
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

BadgerBob82 wrote:A kid that leaves MN HS to play in for USA 18's, USHL or Major JR Canada makes perfect sense.
We disagree.
Be kind. Rewind.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

BadgerBob82 wrote:A kid that leaves MN HS to play in for USA 18's, USHL or Major JR Canada makes perfect sense. But the ones that leave for Midget AAA, NAHL, or Tier II Jr is puzzling. The only "traitors" are the kids that grow up playing youth hockey for an association then open enroll to a high school 30 miles away because they offer "better opportunities".
We agree
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Disagree only on the Major Jr? Why's that?
whlscout

Post by whlscout »

Why do kids change schools? There are a variety of reasons. In some cases, kids and families just need a change of scenery or a fresh start.

My daughter played youth hockey in a large association and overall it was a fun experience. However, after 10 years of watching adults act like fools
our family decided to move our daughter to a private school. It was the best
decision we have ever made. Our daughter has just flourished at the private school. She plays 3 varsity sports and has played in the state hockey tourney 2 times. Most importantly, after 3 years at the school, she has a 3.85 grade point average and got a 32 on the ACT on her very first try.

Call her a traitor but she has a very bright future.
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Well said. whlscout.

Traitor is a harsh word. If someone leaves a company for a new job, are they traitors? A family moves from St. Paul to Chicago....traitors? To call any kid a traitor for making life decisions......wow.

While I hate to see kids leaving High School to develop, the reality is, these hockey leagues are taking younger and younger kids, and MN Hockey is developing a reputation that is not helping kids make the next jump. Many kids enjoy playing on the high school team and then moving on to life. Some boys work hard for the dream, and know what they feel they need to do for the opportunity to have a shot at it.

For all those who make hard decisions to go to Jrs, Canada, Dev Team... (and it is a hard decision to be away from family and friends, live with strangers, ride buses for countless hours week after week, play a 60+ game season, fight for playing time, play injured).......the boys that make the hard decision to go.... they have my respect and best wishes.
auld_skool

Post by auld_skool »

Gopher Blog wrote:As long as a kid finishes out the season with the team he started it with, I think that he is loyal. After that, all bets are off.
Exactly. The team has a tryout every year. The assumption is that no one's made it until that's completed.
To denigrate a young athlete for following his dreams is ridiculous.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Bob, it just isn't worth closing the door on NCAA hockey at age 15 or 16. We hear all the time that some of these kids aren't real strong in school. Guess what? They might be in a couple years.

Major Junior works for other families. Not for mine. Take a look at what the NCAA guys do after their NHL career. It's generally meaningful.
Be kind. Rewind.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Collage dergree worth more than pro contract??? I say yes.
stopthepuck

Post by stopthepuck »

old goalie85 wrote:Collage dergree worth more than pro contract??? I say yes.
Depends on the degree now. Most of them aren't worth anything other than the debt load it took to get them. Chase the dream. You only live once. Can go to college anytime. Met plenty of 40-plus medical students (not to mention unemployed business or liberal arts graduates)..
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

STP-I'm all for chasing the dream, I just think chasing it w/out losing eligebility[sp?] seems like the way to do it. My opinion !!
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The kid from Rogers can attest that he probably wishes he had college eligibility. I think closing the door on the NCAA is not a very wise decision.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

stopthepuck wrote:Chase the dream. You only live once. Can go to college anytime. Met plenty of 40-plus medical students (not to mention unemployed business or liberal arts graduates)..
Stop:

One thing about many old-timers is that they really value education. There is a great deal of attention being paid to Zach Parise this week, but his father is very proud of the fact he (and his goalie brother) finished HS and attended college. I don't know if Zach has finished a degree, but he certainly will if he hasn't.

We have a local Disney exec who played in the NHL for a short period of time. He wanted to play Major Junior as a teen, but his dad wouldn't let him. See, his father played NHL/WHA for a long time and knew that his son would have a life after hockey. A Yale degree and Wharton MBA later, the kid thanks his dad for having the foresight.

You mention college debt loads. Aren't the kids with NHL potential playing college hockey on scholarship?

Fine if you don't place the same value on education that I do. I just think it is obvious that closing the NCAA door is a horrible idea for a teen.

Dany Heatley, Zach Parise, Stastny, Suter, Vanek....there really isn't an NCAA stigma working against NHL players these days.
Be kind. Rewind.