Duluth Marshall Dynasty???

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyStorm

Duluth Marshall Dynasty???

Post by HockeyStorm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Might as well just give the section trophy for the next few years to the Toppers now with the Silver Bay goalie coming there for this season. They are going to be strong and deep for quite a few years to come!

shooter803

Post by shooter803 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 am

Although they have the potential for a good squad - depth is a question mark since they seem real young overall - especially at D. Also from what I heard they tied & won by 2 against Virginia in a 2 game scrimmage last night - not the greatest statement for a dynasty. Hibbing seems to be the team to beat to make state in this section

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:11 am

They are going to be the team to beat in the section from my understanding. Young and skilled

rainier

Post by rainier » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:34 pm

shooter803 wrote:Although they have the potential for a good squad - depth is a question mark since they seem real young overall - especially at D. Also from what I heard they tied & won by 2 against Virginia in a 2 game scrimmage last night - not the greatest statement for a dynasty. Hibbing seems to be the team to beat to make state in this section
Given that Adam Johnson is expected to return this season, I would say Hibbing should be a slight favorite over Marshall. Marshall has the edge in overall talent, but they will be a young team and Hibbing has tons of experience returning. I expect them to meet in the 7A final again with it being a close one like last season.

That said, Marshall should own 7A for a few years after this season.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 pm

In Class A, any team in a section that does not include STA that can roll three pretty good lines jumps immediately to the front of the pack. Marshall is certainly one of the deepest Class A teams heading into next season at forward, and that alone probably gets them ranked somewhere between #2 and #8 or so for most of the season.

They are deeper than Hibbing, but Hibbing's depth is also above average for a Class A contender. They also have the best individual player in the section, and are slightly deeper and definitely more experienced on defense and in goal. The cliche says defense wins championships, so this section race probably comes down to how quickly the Marshall D can grow up, and how well Flaherty can sort out his collection of forwards.

They meet very early in the regular season, so we'll see how that goes. I-Falls and Denfeld are probably in the second tier of this section; they're not on the same level as Hibbing and Marshall, but they have a couple of stars who could cause some trouble under the right circumstances.

Throwback

Post by Throwback » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 am

Dynasty?...Dynasty?...hilarious :D :D :D

saw them play the other night...not even good. No Peterson...not even good.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:16 am

How did they do this weekend?

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 am

Throwback wrote:Dynasty?...Dynasty?...hilarious :D :D :D

saw them play the other night...not even good. No Peterson...not even good.
Just a note people IT IS JULY. Hockey season does not start for over three months. Never ever look at July hockey as a way to view the upcoming season....

Goalie-Dad

Post by Goalie-Dad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 am

InigoMontoya wrote:How did they do this weekend?
Watched them play on Sunday versus an average I Falls team. Marshall won, but not in an overall convincing manner.

Based on a discussion with a Marshall dad, 2 kids missed the Friday and Saturday games because of the elite tryouts. These kids played on Sunday against I Falls.

Marshall graduated 4 senior defense last year. They have 1 returning junior defense and 4 or 5 kids with limited or no varsity experience. The defense gave up lots of shots and scoring chances to I Falls.

Mr Hockey

They wont beat Totino Grace

Post by Mr Hockey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 pm

They are probably a top five team but so are the Eagles, Cadets, Hawks, and the Mustangs.

Hockey North

Post by Hockey North » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Goalie-Dad wrote:

Based on a discussion with a Marshall dad, 2 kids missed the Friday and Saturday games because of the elite tryouts. These kids played on Sunday against I Falls.

Marshall graduated 4 senior defense last year. They have 1 returning junior defense and 4 or 5 kids with limited or no varsity experience. The defense gave up lots of shots and scoring chances to I Falls.
They were missing 5 players to Elite league Tryouts. 1 more player out due to injury.
The makeup of their team this weekend was not even close to what you will see this season.
It was scrimmages to see what the younger kids could do. at one time the shots were 38-20 Marshall. Not that big of a deal, IT WAS A SCRIMMAGE.

EHSHack

Post by EHSHack » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 pm

who does this guy think he is Michael Vick?
Go Hounds.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm

SCRIMMAGE...you talkin' 'bout a SCRIMMAGE?!?

So the take away is? Marshall hopes its younger kids don't have to face the I'Falls younger kids, or Marshall's younger kids are going to improve over the next 4 months, whereas I'Falls' younger kids are not?

It takes some brass ones to graduate four defensemen and even whisper the word DYNASTY, I'll give you that.

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:16 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:SCRIMMAGE...you talkin' 'bout a SCRIMMAGE?!?

So the take away is? Marshall hopes its younger kids don't have to face the I'Falls younger kids, or Marshall's younger kids are going to improve over the next 4 months, whereas I'Falls' younger kids are not?

It takes some brass ones to graduate four defensemen and even whisper the word DYNASTY, I'll give you that.
Your confusing me? "Marshall hopes its younger kids dont have to face I'Falls younger kids". But I thought Marshall won the game? That comment made no sense if Marshall won the game.

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Lopez from Proctor just transferred to Marshall as well. Proctors best player for what thats worth.

HockeyPapa15

Post by HockeyPapa15 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm

If he's from proctor he can't be outstanding. What is a proctor?

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 pm

HockeyPapa15 wrote:If he's from proctor he can't be outstanding. What is a proctor?
A Proctor is something which has the same # of state titles as a Marshall. :mrgreen: Besides, all Marshall kids come from somewhere, right?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Reggie

Post by Reggie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:05 pm

east hockey wrote:
HockeyPapa15 wrote:If he's from proctor he can't be outstanding. What is a proctor?
A Proctor is something which has the same # of state titles as a Marshall. :mrgreen: Besides, all Marshall kids come from somewhere, right?

Lee
Yup, just like the east kids :twisted:

The Insider

Post by The Insider » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Reggie wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Yup, just like the east kids :twisted:
:wink:

HockeyPapa15

Post by HockeyPapa15 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Marshall's main concern is that young defensive core. Not very big or strong and don't seem tough with bigger opponents in the front of their own net

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:00 pm

HockeyPapa15 wrote:Marshall's main concern is that young defensive core. Not very big or strong and don't seem tough with bigger opponents in the front of their own net
Add Jordan Frahlich to their D core from Silver Bay and their D just got better.netted

northern blueliner

Post by northern blueliner » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Ha ha ha....Fralich won't stand out with the bigger schools marshall plays. This kid is one of the laziest cherry pickers you will watch on the ice. just saying.

HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:32 pm

northern blueliner wrote:Ha ha ha....Fralich won't stand out with the bigger schools marshall plays. This kid is one of the laziest cherry pickers you will watch on the ice. just saying.
He still is a upgrade.

rockcrusher

Post by rockcrusher » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Cherry pickin defenseman? Hmmm. Seen this kid play quite a bit, will definitely help out the toppers blue line. I know he was invited to Sioux city's futures camp, and played in the all star game there this summer. Was also invited to a couple NAHL main camps. And seen his name on the roster for the elite D u16 team that will play in that big NAHL thing in Blaine in a few weeks. Heard he was offered a roster spot on an NA3 team too. Some people higher up than northern blueliner must think he's a decent player. Sounds like a disgruntled fan of a public school this kid didn't transfer to.

Throwback

Post by Throwback » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 am

Wait...wait... are you guys saying that private schools recruit? :shock: