2012-2013 Transfers

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 pm

The rule on transfers is they play JV for a year.

Sartellcelly

BSM

Post by Sartellcelly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Speakin' of transfers, anyone give a close look at the benilde-SM names?

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 pm

Wasilla wrote:
deacon64 wrote:
Jimbo99 wrote:
observer wrote:and most juniors, should be playing Elite D which was designed specifically for them.
- absolutely agree!

STA, EP, Duluth do they all really deserve that many players...
If it helps, several of the seven elite "EP" players are fairly recent transfers. One of the largest HS in Minnesota (graduating classes range from 800- 650 students) has to rely on transfers to field their 17 man varsity hockey team?

Development problem in the association or is something else amiss?
I believe EP has has 4 transfers on their team. Which i agree is a lot, but all but one moved to EP. The one that did not transferred prior to his freshman year, had played with the youth program, and his sister graduated from EP. Over the years, EP has lost more to transfers out than they have gained to transfers in. Including a sophomore goalie from last year that left for a private school.

Nothing amiss.

observer

Post by observer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Funny. The Blake transfers have to play JV this season but make the Elite League.

OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm

observer wrote:
Funny. The Blake transfers have to play JV this season but make the Elite League.
Are you sure?

observer

Post by observer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm

According to the rule I’m sure.

Here's the deal. Almost all are violating the spirit of the rule if not the rule itself. The coaches and ADs assisting are also violating the rule. There are players that made their school choice in 9th grade as they're supposed to. There are also players that have transferred and played a year on JV as the rule states. Now we have players, parents, coaches, ADs and school and MSHSL officials ignoring their own rules.

Almost all are violations and it's not fair to the families that followed the rules. Some have mentioned the Benilde Coach is in a leadership role in the State Coaches Association but chooses to violate MSHSL rules. That's not funny. It's embarrassing.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 pm

observer wrote:Almost all are violations and it's not fair to the families that followed the rules. Some have mentioned the Benilde Coach is in a leadership role in the State Coaches Association but chooses to violate MSHSL rules. That's not funny. It's embarrassing.
You are accusing Pauly of violating the rules which is a very serious charge. Do you know for a fact that the kids' families did not move, or that a proper exemption was not obtained?

mngopherfan

Post by mngopherfan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

observer wrote:
I Don't think so...Both will play varsity. i know one of the two has moved...therefor eligible right away. Not sure on the other...

Wasilla

Post by Wasilla » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

observer wrote:
How come the Blake transfers have to play JV and the EP sophomore goalie transferring to private mentioned by OnFrozenPond gets to play Varsity his first year? Just curious on how the rules are set up. I might transfer my own kid it is really that simple :D

observer

Post by observer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 pm

For me, several don't pass the smell test.

1. Transfer Student
A transfer student is one who discontinues enrollment and attendance in any high school, public or non-public, located in a public school district attendance area and enrolls and attends classes in any high school in Minnesota, or outside of MN. Essentially, a transfer occurs anytime the school of record changes.

2. Residence
For purposes of eligibility, a student may only have one residence. To determine residence for eligibility purposes, the public school district attendance area in which the home last occupied by both parents is located shall be considered as the family’s residence.

3. Change of Residence
A change of residence is the actual physical relocation by the parents or guardians of a student with the intent to reside indefinitely at a new residence in Minnesota and terminate all occupancy of a previous residence. The change in residence must be bona fide, include other minor siblings and involve a transfer from one school district attendance area to another school district attendance area.

For purposes of eligibility determinations, the residence of a student shall be the bona fide location of the residence and must include occupancy by the students’ parents or guardians in the public school attendance area. Both parents, except as otherwise provided herein, must physically reside at the residence on a regular basis for the duration of the student’s enrollment.

If married, residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student and the student’s spouse actually reside.

In determining whether a change in residence is bona fide, a member school and the League may consider, but will not be limited to:
A. New mailing address of the parents or guardians
B. Voting registration of parents or guardians that coincides with the new residence
C. Driver’s license registration that coincides with the new residence
D. Purchase or rental agreements
E. Any other reliable evidence of residency

hshockeyfan8

Post by hshockeyfan8 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Although it is tough for kids, a divorce is often a way to get around the transfer rule. Not saying parents get divorced just for that reason, but if they are previously divorced a kid can change his address from moms to dads or vice versa and therefor transfer schools.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm

OnFrozenPond wrote:
observer wrote:
Are you sure?
They dont have to sit out. Both got around the rules.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm

For the sake of keeping things on topic, I've split this off from the thread on the Elite League. To give some context for the first post, it came up when someone said that the many Eden Prairie players in the Elite League might be explained by their additions from other schools.

ripping1

Post by ripping1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 pm

I heard that one of the Blake kids parents divorced and his mother moved to St Louis Park. Not sure on the other but I do know they are both following the rules so neither will have to sit. Pauly will follow the rules MSHL requires, unlike some other schools that have accepted transfers and the families have not permanently moved.

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

The fact that this is being discussed and there is any question about player eligibility is very disappointing in MNHSL. If families and coaches are skirting the rules to make kids eligible calls into questions intergrity of these people.

Simple case of a program being drain by this process in Wayzata, seam to always have strong youth program but come HS age and kids are magically enrolling in other schools.

sorno82

Post by sorno82 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Simple case of a program being drain by this process in Wayzata, seam to always have strong youth program but come HS age and kids are magically enrolling in other schools.
Nothing magic at all about the process. Many kids have always gone to private schools and they continue continue into HS. At ninth grade, the kids make the decision and most stick with it (some do come back, but they play JV a year). I think things will change with the new HS coach. I predict going forward that less top talented public school kids will go private in Wayzata.

Wayzata loses more kids to Providence than any other school, but they are good, not great players who want a chance to play HS vs. Junior Gold. Not hearing a lot of complaints about that.

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Hopefully Wayzata will start keeping the better players but that remains to be seen.
I heard young Pitlick went to Shattuck to avoid playing for
Bantam A coach again at the HS level. New coach made a big mistake
by hiring a Bantam coach as his d coach. Why didn't he hire Pitlick's father
(former Gopher and NHL defenseman), instead of lowly Bantam coach who was nothing more than a below average 3rd line high school Hack

Young Pitlick would have really helped the high school program.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:48 pm

steviewonder wrote:Hopefully Wayzata will start keeping the better players but that remains to be seen.
(former Gopher and NHL defenseman), instead of lowly Bantam coach who was nothing more than a below average 3rd line high school Hack

The skill set of a good or great hockey player does not necessarily translate into the skill set required of a good or great hockey coach. Otherwise Wayne Gretsky would be the most sought after coach in the NHL today.

Tony Soprano

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Could not agree more with pioneer guy. Not all great players translate into great coaches. Playing and coaching are still two different things.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:25 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
steviewonder wrote:Hopefully Wayzata will start keeping the better players but that remains to be seen.

The skill set of a good or great hockey player does not necessarily translate into the skill set required of a good or great hockey coach. Otherwise Wayne Gretsky would be the most sought after coach in the NHL today.
Thats the only coaching candidate we can come up with - the kid's dad? Thanks but no thanks.

urban iceman

Post by urban iceman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 am

observer wrote:For me, several don't pass the smell test.

1. Transfer Student
A transfer student is one who discontinues enrollment and attendance in any high school, public or non-public, located in a public school district attendance area and enrolls and attends classes in any high school in Minnesota, or outside of MN. Essentially, a transfer occurs anytime the school of record changes.

2. Residence
For purposes of eligibility, a student may only have one residence. To determine residence for eligibility purposes, the public school district attendance area in which the home last occupied by both parents is located shall be considered as the family’s residence.

3. Change of Residence
A change of residence is the actual physical relocation by the parents or guardians of a student with the intent to reside indefinitely at a new residence in Minnesota and terminate all occupancy of a previous residence. The change in residence must be bona fide, include other minor siblings and involve a transfer from one school district attendance area to another school district attendance area.

For purposes of eligibility determinations, the residence of a student shall be the bona fide location of the residence and must include occupancy by the students’ parents or guardians in the public school attendance area. Both parents, except as otherwise provided herein, must physically reside at the residence on a regular basis for the duration of the student’s enrollment.

If married, residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student and the student’s spouse actually reside.

In determining whether a change in residence is bona fide, a member school and the League may consider, but will not be limited to:
A. New mailing address of the parents or guardians
B. Voting registration of parents or guardians that coincides with the new residence
C. Driver’s license registration that coincides with the new residence
D. Purchase or rental agreements
E. Any other reliable evidence of residency
What about getting a residence in a new school district but "renting out " the old residence from where they came from?? Kind of fishy!!

MNpuckBlog

Post by MNpuckBlog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:00 pm

Bluewhitefan wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:

Thats the only coaching candidate we can come up with - the kid's dad? Thanks but no thanks.
One of my favorite coaches I had back in high school was a guy who got cut from his high school team. Great coach, extremely knowledgeable, and had a State Championship on his resume as head coach of Blaine. Maybe wasn't a great player in high school, but he certainly was a great coach. I'm sure Pitlick would be a good coach, but experience doesn't necessarily translate into a good coach (ie. Housley...)

deacon64

Post by deacon64 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 am

MNpuckBlog wrote:One of my favorite coaches I had back in high school was a guy who got cut from his high school team. Great coach, extremely knowledgeable, and had a State Championship on his resume as head coach of Blaine. Maybe wasn't a great player in high school, but he certainly was a great coach. I'm sure Pitlick would be a good coach, but experience doesn't necessarily translate into a good coach (ie. Housley...)
The best coaches are seldom the best players. Having played the game does not mean qualified to coach. Best coaches have seen in most cases were not good players or players at all, simply "good" coaches.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 am

deacon64 wrote:
MNpuckBlog wrote:One of my favorite coaches I had back in high school was a guy who got cut from his high school team. Great coach, extremely knowledgeable, and had a State Championship on his resume as head coach of Blaine. Maybe wasn't a great player in high school, but he certainly was a great coach. I'm sure Pitlick would be a good coach, but experience doesn't necessarily translate into a good coach (ie. Housley...)
The best coaches are seldom the best players. Having played the game does not mean qualified to coach. Best coaches have seen in most cases were not good players or players at all, simply "good" coaches.
Scotty Bowman could barely skate.... and is viewed as one the best coaches ever in the NHL.

mgrockswayzata

Post by mgrockswayzata » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:19 am

So you're saying that the Wayzata Asst Varsity coach is maybe the next Scotty Bowman? Now that is funny.

My son played for him in Selects 4 years ago. He thought he was Herb Brooks coaching the 80 Olympic team. Not the brightest bulb.