Looking Ahead to 2012-2013

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Post by almostashappy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:17 pm

BBgunner wrote:MG did have a strong team however that would still keep them young. Blaine is mainly Juniors this year with a few Sophs that can help. Centennial is pretty much the same. Elk River has the returning Goaltender that makes the big difference and a pretty nice group of Soph's coming in.
Sorry, I was talking about their Bantam A team from 3 years ago, when their current juniors and seniors were on the roster.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 pm

BBgunner wrote:Brodzinski is gone. This is a topic for this coming season. And Karl you are spot on with 5AA being down this year. Centennial, Blaine, and MG are young and unproven. The Conference Champ should be Elk River and I believe this is the year they can give East a run for the money.
As for the conference, how about Andover? They tied for second in the NWSC last year, beat Elk River twice, tied Maple Grove once, and made the 7AA title game. They return practically everyone.

Elk River is certainly capable of giving East a run, but so are three other teams in a muddled 7AA. (If you even consider East the favorite; I suppose they might be based off reputation, but the talent gap is an awful lot smaller than it has been in recent years.) The Elks have two great young forwards and one experienced defenseman, plus a deep youth system, but they lost a number of their better players from last year, and this year's senior class doesn't seem to be on par with some of the others in the section. If they grow up fast enough they could certainly pull it off, though.

Not sure how I forgot the 5AA title game as an example of how the new penalty rules affected a playoff game...that one was so ugly that I stopped watching in the second period.

Maple Grove's youth teams feeding in over the past few years have all been very good, but they're losing an awful lot of the scoring off last year's team, and Gross leaving early didn't help, either. I expect some growing pains, but they're probably still one of the top two teams in the section. They and Wayzata this year will be good tests of just how quickly an inexperienced team with a huge youth program can climb into contention.

blueblood

Penalties

Post by blueblood » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks almostashappy... 8)

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:45 am

blueliner5 wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:
I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with Blaine yet--they have a ton of returning forwards, but defense was an issue last year even with Brodzinski.
Brodzinski didn't even know the word defense, only played for himself and offense. Losing him only helps Blaine defensively
MrBoDangle....You mean to tell me you are going to let this comment slip thru the cracks? Does this mean Hscout000 has something against Blaine? No, he is just stating his opinion! Nothing wrong with that. I have talked to some Blaine parents this Summer and they said exactly the samething. Should be a better rounded Defense as the power play, even strength, short handed situations will not be built around 1 individual
Team USA wanted him for the same reasons the Gophers wanted him.

How's Coonville looking this year?

:lol:

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Karl, you're right about Andover, I didn't realize their bantams were rated so high last year. Looks like they have a very solid goalie moving up to backup Chase Perry. One player I'm looking forward to watching that played on MN Selects from GR this year is sophomore Jonah Bischoff. I don't know much about him or any other 10th graders on GR. If he can be as effective at forward as his brother was at defense in his sophomore year then they'll have more scoring power than I thought. BTW, what's the deal with the Beleau (SP?) kid from East, good ol' Howie Hanson wrote an article saying he's basically the second coming of Dave Spehar.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

blueliner5

Post by blueliner5 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:16 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
blueliner5 wrote:
Hscout000 wrote:
I'm not quite sure what I'm doing with Blaine yet--they have a ton of returning forwards, but defense was an issue last year even with Brodzinski.
Brodzinski didn't even know the word defense, only played for himself and offense. Losing him only helps Blaine defensively
MrBoDangle....You mean to tell me you are going to let this comment slip thru the cracks? Does this mean Hscout000 has something against Blaine? No, he is just stating his opinion! Nothing wrong with that. I have talked to some Blaine parents this Summer and they said exactly the samething. Should be a better rounded Defense as the power play, even strength, short handed situations will not be built around 1 individual
Team USA wanted him for the same reasons the Gophers wanted him.

How's Coonville looking this year?
:lol:

Now that you asked, not as good as last year, if that's any indication

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:50 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Karl, you're right about Andover, I didn't realize their bantams were rated so high last year. Looks like they have a very solid goalie moving up to backup Chase Perry. One player I'm looking forward to watching that played on MN Selects from GR this year is sophomore Jonah Bischoff. I don't know much about him or any other 10th graders on GR. If he can be as effective at forward as his brother was at defense in his sophomore year then they'll have more scoring power than I thought. BTW, what's the deal with the Beleau (SP?) kid from East, good ol' Howie Hanson wrote an article saying he's basically the second coming of Dave Spehar.
Oh, you're just goading me into sharing my thoughts on Howie, aren't you? :P :lol:

Beaulieu definitely has a fairly high ceiling, though he was a bit unpolished at times last year. He did a solid job of filling in on the top D pair while Nate Repensky was hurt last season, and he plays big and has a pretty nice shot. If he's put in the work, he could certainly have a big season.

However--as always--Howie's bluster is excessive. For starters, he tried out for and made the Elite League as a defenseman, so he may not be moving to forward, as Howie claims. And comparing the goal-scoring ability of someone who hasn't played forward in at least a few years to Dave Spehar is absurd. He's yet another fine Hounds defenseman with D-1 potential, but saddling him with expectations like Howie's isn't doing him any favors.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I agree that the younger Bischoff will be a nice boost for Rapids' offense. I'm curious to see if they stick him on the top line with Peterson, or if they try to create a little depth instead. How quickly he comes along could decide whether his team has the firepower to come out of 7AA. I think Rapids has another fairly highly touted incoming Bantam forward, though his name eludes me.

GTTN

Post by GTTN » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

HOCKEY SEASON!!!! YES

TennJed

Post by TennJed » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:49 pm

I think the GR forward you are referring to is a young man with the name Mattson(sp?) Not sure if he has the talent to go straight to varsity. GR has another forward that could contribute heavily this year, big kid, Frazier. Had decent year with not much help from line mates. could provide needed punch from 2nd line.

Gems

Post by Gems » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:40 pm

[quote plus the fact that Coach Lechner always has his team peaking in March.[/quote]

Hill-Murray will always be a factor with or without Guentzal or Heinrich or any player because Lechner uses the season to prepare the team for playoffs, plus they do have some skill returning at all positions... :wink:

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm

Nice pre-season work, Karl. Benilde is the clear front-runner and in a league of there own. Isn't Benilde also playing an independent schedule ala Duluth East which gives them a leg up for March play (and recruiting in the metro)? :lol:

The other comments about teams losing solid senior players, clearly nay sayers wouldn't claim Maple Grove or HM are better off with Gross gone or Geuntzel/Heinrich departed but both teams certainly built power plays around these players. Some people need to move on and let go of the past. Brodzinski is a solid player and Blaine would be way better with him wearing #20 in 2012-13.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:37 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote: One player I'm looking forward to watching that played on MN Selects from GR this year is sophomore Jonah Bischoff.

Actually a 9th grader presumably skipping his final year of bantams to join the high school team.
Character is who you are when no one is watching

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Nice pre-season work, Karl. Benilde is the clear front-runner and in a league of there own. Isn't Benilde also playing an independent schedule ala Duluth East which gives them a leg up for March play (and recruiting in the metro)? :lol:
They are...it'll be interesting to see how it affects the team, if at all. Here it is, minus their holiday tournament, and with AHA on there twice for some reason: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/schedule/tea ... ason=79765

It's very strong, though it tails off some toward the end of the season (as East's tends to do, too).

Also, thanks to the Rapids people for the updates.

Ssm87

Post by Ssm87 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

TennJed wrote:I think the GR forward you are referring to is a young man with the name Mattson(sp?) Not sure if he has the talent to go straight to varsity. GR has another forward that could contribute heavily this year, big kid, Frazier. Had decent year with not much help from line mates. could provide needed punch from 2nd line.
A few weeks ago Mattson was invited out to Ann Arbor with 30 other 98 birth year players from Minnesota. Good player. Will make a impact for GR in the years to come.

imaloserbaby

Post by imaloserbaby » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Ssm87 wrote:
TennJed wrote:I think the GR forward you are referring to is a young man with the name Mattson(sp?) Not sure if he has the talent to go straight to varsity. GR has another forward that could contribute heavily this year, big kid, Frazier. Had decent year with not much help from line mates. could provide needed punch from 2nd line.
A few weeks ago Mattson was invited out to Ann Arbor with 30 other 98 birth year players from Minnesota. Good player. Will make a impact for GR in the years to come.
Who else was invited to this? Is there a list published somewhere?

Ssm87

Post by Ssm87 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 am

imaloserbaby wrote:
Ssm87 wrote:
Players and what I know to be their high school
Anderson (HM)
Bellows (SSM)
Calenger (BSM)
Denman (Prior Lake)
Dow (Marshall)
Graff (Kennedy)
Hallum (Eagan or STA)
Hauswirth (Farmington)
Hellickson (Rogers)
Hurley (STA)
Johnson (Lakeville)
Kelly (Maple Grove)
Kierstad (ER)
Koepke (Hermantown)
Krenzen (Marshall)
Lindgren (SSM)
Long (Spring Lake Park)
Mattson (GR)
Mccabe (MV)
Norlin (Farmington)
Novak (Lakeville)
Palmer (SSM)
Peterson (east)
Risteau (BSM)
Schneider
Scott (Breck)
Schoepke (Rogers)
Skarda (Tonka)
Smallidge (Eagan)
Sorenson (Wayzata)
Staum (Roseville)
Wait (Edina)
Scites and Weaver and Hansen were the goalies.

oldshad77

Post by oldshad77 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Ssm87 wrote:
imaloserbaby wrote:
Ssm87 wrote:
Anderson (HM)
Bellows (SSM)
Calenger (BSM)
Denman (Prior Lake)
Dow (Marshall)
Graff (Kennedy)
Hallum (Eagan or STA)
Hauswirth (Farmington)
Hellickson (Rogers)
Hurley (STA)
Johnson (Lakeville)
Kelly (Maple Grove)
Kierstad (ER)
Koepke (Hermantown)
Krenzen (Marshall)
Lindgren (SSM)
Long (Spring Lake Park)
Mattson (GR)
Mccabe (MV)
Norlin (Farmington)
Novak (Lakeville)
Palmer (SSM)
Peterson (east)
Risteau (BSM)
Schneider
Scott (Breck)
Schoepke (Rogers)
Skarda (Tonka)
Smallidge (Eagan)
Sorenson (Wayzata)
Staum (Roseville)
Wait (Edina)
Scites and Weaver and Hansen were the goalies.

Belows is going to SSM?

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Maybe BSM wants to have the home and home with AHA to pound, rewind and repeat which will reinforce that BSM is the recruiting powerhouse in this part of town. Jefferson has alot of kids staying home which means trouble for AHA (and Jefferson will surprise people this year).

Napalm187

Post by Napalm187 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:49 am

Jefferson surprising people this year? Maybe by surprise you mean, finishing under .500 to begin a long string of years with losing records. The HC has ran out of ideas, if he ever had any in the first place. They got a few good players here and there, but no stars, weak D, terrible goaltending and no one that will score over 50 pts. They will be lucky to get 18 wins and make it to section semis.

AHA will be down, but watch them come back up in 5 years or so. The HC is going the way of the Trebil and getting knee deep into elite AAA hockey (w/the Blades) and is doing his master proud by procuring kids from other programs and making whatever promises he can make.

BSM will be fun to watch this year. Who are all their new kids this year and where are they from?
I was very surprised to see Kaske going there. Is he a Soph? Does he slide onto second line with Jungels and Hale?
Naas and Austin from Blake right?
Who's this Calengor?
Anyone else? Any good D?

The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Napalm187 wrote:Jefferson surprising people this year? Maybe by surprise you mean, finishing under .500 to begin a long string of years with losing records. The HC has ran out of ideas, if he ever had any in the first place. They got a few good players here and there, but no stars, weak D, terrible goaltending and no one that will score over 50 pts. They will be lucky to get 18 wins and make it to section semis.

AHA will be down, but watch them come back up in 5 years or so. The HC is going the way of the Trebil and getting knee deep into elite AAA hockey (w/the Blades) and is doing his master proud by procuring kids from other programs and making whatever promises he can make.

BSM will be fun to watch this year. Who are all their new kids this year and where are they from?
I was very surprised to see Kaske going there. Is he a Soph? Does he slide onto second line with Jungels and Hale?
Who's this Calengor?
Anyone else? Any good D?

Then who wins between AHA and Jefferson this year? if they play in sections
The best, period

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Napalm187 wrote: BSM will be fun to watch this year. Who are all their new kids this year and where are they from?
Who's this Calengor?
Anyone else? Any good D?
Austin's little brother Nick is there too - a freshman this year and he skated with the high school guys in summer camp. Also, Alec (or Alex?) Baer of St. Louis Park is a freshman too. Both very good 9th graders, Nick, I believe, plays D as Johnny does.

Napalm187

Then who wins between AHA and Jefferson this year? if they p

Post by Napalm187 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Does it really matter? Who knows. Maybe with Bianchi and Mork, I could see AHA winning the battle of the long-lost superpowers. Whoever wins is just roadkill for Edina or Burnsville.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm

C-dad wrote:
Napalm187 wrote: BSM will be fun to watch this year. Who are all their new kids this year and where are they from?
Who's this Calengor?
Anyone else? Any good D?
Austin's little brother Nick is there too - a freshman this year and he skated with the high school guys in summer camp. Also, Alec (or Alex?) Baer of St. Louis Park is a freshman too. Both very good 9th graders, Nick, I believe, plays D as Johnny does.
The younger Austin is a long way from helping BSM - played for a terrible Blake B1 team last year - skating with the High School boys is probably a favor to the family. Kaske can't play varsity until mid-season after transferring last year.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:46 pm

I think you are counting out AHA too soon. They have had their down years, but there may be some surprises this year. Too early to tell, but I would love to be able to see AHA in their winning ways again.

bemused

Post by bemused » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 am

Speaking of looking ahead, by my count (with Hallum going to STA and Staum to HM) 12 of the top 30 kids are going to privates. I'm sure there were other kids who deserved to be there but that seems like a high number..

A few weeks ago Mattson was invited out to Ann Arbor with 30 other 98 birth year players from Minnesota. Good player. Will make a impact for GR in the years to come.[/quote]

Who else was invited to this? Is there a list published somewhere?[/quote]

Anderson (HM)
Bellows (SSM)
Calenger (BSM)
Denman (Prior Lake)
Dow (Marshall)
Graff (Kennedy)
Hallum (Eagan or STA)
Hauswirth (Farmington)
Hellickson (Rogers)
Hurley (STA)