Kuhlman commits to UMD

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier

Kuhlman commits to UMD

Post by rainier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am

Great news! Good for the Bulldogs and good for Kuhlman. Great to see Sandelin getting so much of the top talent in northern MN.

From the hockey hub:

Cloquet/Esko/Carlton's Karson Kuhlman decides to play his college hockey close to home.

Cloquet/Esko/Carlton star forward Karson Kuhlman has committed to the University of Minnesota Duluth, according to his personal Twitter account.

Kuhlman, who is entering his junior year with the Lumberjacks, has racked up 44 goals and 63 assists for 107 points in his first two seasons of varsity hockey. He is skating for Team North in the Upper Midwest High School Elite League this fall, and has a goal and four assists in the team’s six games so far.

Kuhlman had visited other schools besides Minnesota Duluth, but he knew from the get-go that UMD was the right place for him.

“I knew that I was really interested in UMD, and [no other schools] really compared to how I felt about UMD, the atmosphere around the rink, the campus, the coaching staff, everything,” Kuhlman said. “Obviously, with UMD being 12 minutes away from my house, I went to a ton of games growing up. It’s a huge honor to know that I’ll go there to be a Bulldog.”[/b]

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 am

Karson Kuhlman! Way to go boy! =) I am so proud of you. Enjoy your time in high school and skating with your friends and Coach Esse.

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:07 am

Congrates, hes a great player. We see him at least once a year. Another Mn kid going to play D-1!!!!!

kniven

The Ciskie Blog: Karson Kuhlman Latest Local Hockey

Post by kniven » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:05 am

Karson Kuhlman Latest Local Hockey Star Headed to UMD
UMD has done quite well as of late when it comes to bringing in top local players. This year's crop of freshmen includes former Duluth East defenseman Andy Welinski, who could be the best rookie blue-liner in the WCHA. He joined UMD after two seasons with the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers, where he helped the team to a Clark Cup title.

Hibbing forward Adam Johnson committed to UMD during the 2010 state tournament, at which he helped Hibbing on a surprising run to the semifinals. Hermantown's Jared Thomas and Duluth East's Dom Toninato committed last season, and all three should be a part of the Bulldogs by 2014.

Now, you can add another local player to the stable of future Bulldogs.

Cloquet/Esko/Carlton forward Karson Kuhlman committed to UMD Tuesday afternoon, one day after receiving a scholarship offer. Kuhlman is a junior this year, and will be a big part of what should be an improved Lumberjacks team.

Kuhlman confirmed his commitment via Twitter. A source indicated he is likely a 2015 Bulldog, meaning he'll be able to finish his high school career and play a year of juniors. Kuhlman has played in the USHL already, getting five games in with the Dubuque Fighting Saints last spring (four assists).

It's another local win for Scott Sandelin and his staff. Looking at the list of recruits coming in -- a group that includes Hill-Murray defenseman Blake Heinrich, Shattuck defenseman Willie Raskob, Canadian forward Brett Boehm, and U.S. Under 18 forward Kyle Osterberg -- it seems that the future for UMD is bright.

National championships help in recruiting, no doubt. But we have to also give a nod to all those who helped make Amsoil Arena possible. It's as wonderful a venue as you're going to find in college hockey, and the opportunity to walk a kid through that place -- even if it's not a game night -- is a huge advantage.

It's also nice to see comments like the one from Kuhlman in Wednesday's Duluth News Tribune.

“When you grow up 12 minutes away, it’s always been something that I wanted to do,” Kuhlman said. “I slept on it for one night and I felt I was ready. This fit everything we were looking for.”

A kid who wants to be a Bulldog, pretty much from birth. Now Karson Kuhlman fulfills a dream. We're all looking forward to seeing what happens next.