Class A Rankings 12-16-12

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who is the #2 team in Class A?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Hermantown
45%
East Grand Forks
50%
Totino-Grace
No votes
Rochester Lourdes
No votes
Princeton
5%

Total votes: 20

HShockeywatcher

Class A Rankings 12-16-12

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:20 pm

With the exception of adding Princeton, there wasn't much change in the rankings this week. I don't like the number 13, but after looking over all the teams in the state, I couldn't justify adding one team without adding about four or five more.

I'm looking this week for thoughts/comments on Mankato West. They are 7-1, play three tough games next week, but Lourdes is the only game you'd think they have a shot to lose in 2013 before sections. They are much improved from the .500 finish they had last year, but seem to be a lower team who may win 20 games this season.

Biggest Class A game this week is Warroad @ Thief River Falls before a handful of holiday tournaments next week.

1. [1] Saint Thomas Academy (4-1)
The Cadets had an amazing week at home. They beat Cretin for the 7th time in a row and beat Hill for the first time after 4 straight losses. Should be two easier games this week as they prep for Edina next week.
This week: Thurs @ North St Paul, Sat vs South St Paul

2. [2] Hermantown (4-0)
It appears as though the Hawks’ game with Rogers was postponed, so with no games played, there’s not anything to say this week.
This week: Tues @ Virginia, Thurs @ Duluth Denfeld, Sat vs Rogers.

3. [4] East Grand Forks (5-0-1)
Giving the nod to the Green Wave as they are still undefeated to go along with their Warroad win this past week. They have hit the part of their schedule where they likely won’t be challenged until they likely won’t be challenged until they play Roseau in January, so they will be in control of whether they drop or not in the near future.
This week: Tues vs Grand Forks Central, Thurs @ Crookston

4. [3] Totino-Grace (4-1-1)
The Eagles showed they are likely not going to contend for the 4A title losing to Holy Family by a similar score that they St Thomas beat them by. After this week they have two weeks of games off to get ready for the trip to Duluth to play Marshall.
This week: Tues vs Rogers, Thurs @ St Francis, Sat @ Achiever NE Academy

5. [5] Rochester Lourdes (5-1)
The Eagles haven’t loss since their opener, they have an opportunity to leap frog Totino with a good showing in Victoria this week.
This week: Thurs @ Holy Family Catholic

6. [11] Warroad (5-2)
There is a case that could be made to have Warroad anywhere from 4 to 12 on this list. With only losing by 2 in East Grand Forks, I think this is a pretty good place; we will see how they compare with the other top 8A team this week.
This week: Tues @ Thief River Falls

7. [-] Princeton (6-1)
I’m not totally convinced yet that a team who lost to St Francis and went to OT with Chisago should be this high. After close games with Cathedral and Little Falls, it seems they are here to stay until they stumble though; can they contend with Hermantown for the 5A title?
This week: Tues @ Monticello, Thurs vs Moose Lake Area

8. [6] St. Cloud Cathedral (4-3)
The Crusaders drop a spot with their loss to the Tigers of Princeton, but they will likely add two more wins this week. Their first three games of 2013 will be tough, but they should be 9-3 going into those.
This week: Tues @ Mora/Hinckley-Finlayson, Thurs @ Proctor

9. [7] Breck (4-1)
The team that started the year at #2 has dropped 7 spots despite only one loss because of what those around them have done. They are off this week; their next game is against Duluth East next week.
This week: Idle

10. [8] Little Falls (5-1)
The Flyers drop a spot after they drop a game to Princeton; they have their one challenging game of their next 6 this week.
This week: Thurs vs Rogers

11. [9] Duluth Marshall (5-2)
The Hilltoppers had a convincing win over a Crookston team who’s had a good start this season. Can they carry that into their Friday game against a Benilde team who’s lost 2 of their last 3?
This week: Fri vs Benilde-St Margaret’s

12. [10] Thief River Falls (1-4)
After a week off, the Prowlers finally get to play the Warriors to get a much more clear 8A picture.
This week: Tues vs Warroad, Thurs vs International Falls

13. [12] Delano (5-2)
Hard to learn much from a shut out to Cathedral this week, but their two losses are both 2 goal games with Breck and Cathedral, so they are definitely not a team to count out come playoff time.
This week: Tues vs St Louis Park, Thurs @ St Michael-Albertville

Some teams to watch:

Mankato West (7-1)
This week: Tues @ Austin, Thurs vs Owatonna, Sat vs Rochester Century

St Paul Academy (6-1)
This week: Sat @ Hudson

Mahtomedi (3-2)
This week: Tues vs Cretin-Derham Hall, Thurs @ Henry Sibley, Sat vs Simley

Rogers (2-1-1)
This week: Tues @ Totino-Grace, Thurs @ Little Falls

Alexandria (3-2-1)
This week: Tues vs St Cloud Apollo, Thus @ Sauk Rapids-Rice

North Shore (4-1)
This week: Tues vs Hibbing, Thurs vs Hayward

Windom Area (5-0)
This week: Tues @ Luverne, Thurs vs Fairmont

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm

Mankato West is an interesting team, they have 1 outstanding line but like most A schools drop off after that. They went to New Prague and won 6-2, your #5 team Lourdes went to New Prague and won 3-2 in overtime. Lourdes was beaten soundly by a very good STA and after that neither team has played much competition, SCC and Mayo are probably pretty similar.

West plays in the Hilltopper Classic in Duluth, a much better tournament than Lourdes plays in, then those two teams play each other in early January.

I think it's pretty easy to rank the top 3 class A teams and after that it's a huge crap shoot and you can't really be faulted for putting West anywhere from #5 down to not ranking them at all.

Huskiesfan16

Post by Huskiesfan16 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm

goldy313 wrote:Mankato West is an interesting team, they have 1 outstanding line but like most A schools drop off after that. They went to New Prague and won 6-2, your #5 team Lourdes went to New Prague and won 3-2 in overtime. Lourdes was beaten soundly by a very good STA and after that neither team has played much competition, SCC and Mayo are probably pretty similar.

West plays in the Hilltopper Classic in Duluth, a much better tournament than Lourdes plays in, then those two teams play each other in early January.

I think it's pretty easy to rank the top 3 class A teams and after that it's a huge crap shoot and you can't really be faulted for putting West anywhere from #5 down to not ranking them at all.
Mayo and St Cloud Cathedral are similar? You have to be joking. Does Mayo have anyone close to Poganski? Umm no. Where as it's only one player, SCC is also an overall better team. I do think however that MW is probably better than they're given credit. But again, you line MW top line against Funk, Samuelson, #4 with either Slightem and Krecke on the back end (maybe both) and Ill take the Lourdes line 10/10 times. It will however be a great game in January, probably a section final preview. The mayo comparison is what really makes your post ridiculous. Mayo's goalie is why they've been so good, period.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:48 pm

goldy313 wrote:Mankato West is an interesting team, they have 1 outstanding line but like most A schools drop off after that. They went to New Prague and won 6-2, your #5 team Lourdes went to New Prague and won 3-2 in overtime. Lourdes was beaten soundly by a very good STA and after that neither team has played much competition, SCC and Mayo are probably pretty similar.

The problem I have with much the rankings until further in the season is that I start with LPH's rankings, so at least for a while, they are at the mercy of where they started and where who they play started.

I try not to draw too much beyond win, OT and loss. They both beat the same team, period. As you pointed out, Lourdes had players play 14 football games, including the state final, so I doubt much can be taking away from their second game with it being an away game beyond the result.

You said yourself Mayo and SCC are similar. Assuming that's the case, Lourdes beat SCC and West lost to Mayo.

I am fine where they are right now, but I agree there is legitimate discussion that could be had for suggesting they be higher. If they continue playing how they are and having beating similar opponents as others, they will rise.

I think the tournament will be a good measuring stick, and some quality games, even losses, could help them rise in the rankings. It would be great to see them be a legitimate contender, we will see.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

With only a couple of games that could sway much of the rankings tomorrow, I'm curious for opinions on some of the teams who weren't previously ranked from people who have either seen them play, or simply think they should be ranked. Let me know why.

Mankato West, Denfeld, Orono, Rogers, Mahtomedi, who would you like to see ranked, where and why?

Thanks