Edina Classic

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win the tournament?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Edina
74%
Eden Prairie
7%
Elk River
7%
GRAND RAPIDS
12%

Total votes: 43

Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Willie Benjamin clearly makes Edina defense look better than they are. Bad turnover late lead to EPs tying goal. A save percentage of 95 does wonders for any team. Edina looked beatable against EP. I say the cake eaters avoid the Schwans curse and see there first loss this week maybe as early as round 1.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:08 pm

celly93 wrote:Rapids fans are impossible to please. I remember them complaining about Pagel at hockey day last year, calling it a practice rink. The Rapids rink is one of the best, and they usually get a good turnout, but that doesn't mean everything else is bad.

One thing that might have led to decreased attendance was the fact that Rapids isn't really a big draw this year. There are much better teams in the metro than Rapids. Casual fans don't want to spend $7 to watch a blow out, especially when it's on TV for free. When you add to the fact that its a late start (8:30) on a week day, I think most would rather watch on TV.

Last thing: the design of Braemar lends itself to looking more empty on TV than it really is. The home seating is on the same side as the cameras, and the concourses are at the top, which leads fans to sit towards the top. The rows that the cameras catch most are the last to be filled.

And as was previously stated, the place was probably 95% full on Saturday, most likely over 2500.
$7.00 is a lot of money? Economy must be worse down there than I thought.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:GR fills both sides and one end of the arena and only gives one or two sections to the away fans.
Well HOORAY for the Douglasses.
Be kind. Rewind.

Towelie

Post by Towelie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:31 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
celly93 wrote:Rapids fans are impossible to please. I remember them complaining about Pagel at hockey day last year, calling it a practice rink. The Rapids rink is one of the best, and they usually get a good turnout, but that doesn't mean everything else is bad.

One thing that might have led to decreased attendance was the fact that Rapids isn't really a big draw this year. There are much better teams in the metro than Rapids. Casual fans don't want to spend $7 to watch a blow out, especially when it's on TV for free. When you add to the fact that its a late start (8:30) on a week day, I think most would rather watch on TV.

Last thing: the design of Braemar lends itself to looking more empty on TV than it really is. The home seating is on the same side as the cameras, and the concourses are at the top, which leads fans to sit towards the top. The rows that the cameras catch most are the last to be filled.

And as was previously stated, the place was probably 95% full on Saturday, most likely over 2500.
$7.00 is a lot of money? Economy must be worse down there than I thought.
It is when the game was over after the first period.
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:42 am

Kudos to Edina the Classic is always a very wonderful tournament to attend and watch games.......Merry Christmas

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Willie Benjamin clearly makes Edina defense look better than they are. Bad turnover late lead to EPs tying goal. A save percentage of 95 does wonders for any team. Edina looked beatable against EP. I say the cake eaters avoid the Schwans curse and see there first loss this week maybe as early as round 1.
Wishful thinking.

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Edina gives an entire side to the opponent? GR fills both sides and one end of the arena and only gives one or two sections to the away fans.
Well i guess since edina is in the metro when they play teams like tonka right next door to them, the other team needs a full side since so many people from that city will come too. kind of like how lots of EP people came to the game.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

That doesn't make sense. If it's your home ice you don't give half the arena to the opponent. When Rapids and Greenway had a strong rivalry they didn't give one side of the arena to the other school. It's called a home game for a reason.

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:That doesn't make sense. If it's your home ice you don't give half the arena to the opponent. When Rapids and Greenway had a strong rivalry they didn't give one side of the arena to the other school. It's called a home game for a reason.

just because you give them half the rink does not mean they have more people. its your rink usually more fans show up from the home town but thats how they do it and it usually makes for a good environment no matter who is winning if its a lake game.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:19 am

If the Edina fans were capable of filling 90% of the arena, they wouldn't make half the arena available to away fans. In a suburb that size it doesn't make sense other than people there just don't care about the game. When teams up north like Rapids and Roseau have top 10 teams there isn't room for the away fans to take up half the arena, even when they are playing an inferior opponent. BTW, I seem to remember in 07 Edina handling GR in the classic and then Rapids dominated them at the Xcel Energy Center. That season Rapids was without their Gopher commit at the Classic, just like this year. Hmmmm.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:If the Edina fans were capable of filling 90% of the arena, they wouldn't make half the arena available to away fans. In a suburb that size it doesn't make sense other than people there just don't care about the game. When teams up north like Rapids and Roseau have top 10 teams there isn't room for the away fans to take up half the arena, even when they are playing an inferior opponent. BTW, I seem to remember in 07 Edina handling GR in the classic and then Rapids dominated them at the Xcel Energy Center. That season Rapids was without their Gopher commit at the Classic, just like this year. Hmmmm.
If it's a Thursday in GR and a big game is going on, what else is there to do but go to the game? In Edina, or EP, or White Bear Lake, there are other choices available... :wink:

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:27 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:If the Edina fans were capable of filling 90% of the arena, they wouldn't make half the arena available to away fans. In a suburb that size it doesn't make sense other than people there just don't care about the game. When teams up north like Rapids and Roseau have top 10 teams there isn't room for the away fans to take up half the arena, even when they are playing an inferior opponent. BTW, I seem to remember in 07 Edina handling GR in the classic and then Rapids dominated them at the Xcel Energy Center. That season Rapids was without their Gopher commit at the Classic, just like this year. Hmmmm.
oh :lol: i see what this is about... your just a little sour GR got there butt kicked on thursday... well you should have just said so there is no reason to hate on bremar for the way they run there establishment its a nice one and it makes for a good atmosphere, and there is no reason to hate on the edina fans for leaving after the first period when your team was down 4-0. They were kind a enough to leave you half the rink, being gracious hosts and all but not many of your fans came, they must of been frustrated and just left early. As for the 07 season yes that did happen but if you think Bischoff some how in that game last week makes it so GR would have won your nuts, he is only one player and cant do everything. But that is besides the point i think at the X anything can happen as we saw with South or DE last year so it could happen but first Edina has to get by Burnsville and Grand rapids has to get by...... Forest Lake

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am

C-dad wrote:
If it's a Thursday in GR and a big game is going on, what else is there to do but go to the game? In Edina, or EP, or White Bear Lake, there are other choices available... :wink:
. . . not if you're a high school hockey fan and there's a heavy duty match-up at the rink.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:40 am

C-dad wrote:
. . . not if you're a high school hockey fan and there's a heavy duty match-up at the rink.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:19 am

green4 wrote:
oh :lol: i see what this is about... your just a little sour GR got there butt kicked on thursday... well you should have just said so there is no reason to hate on bremar for the way they run there establishment its a nice one and it makes for a good atmosphere, and there is no reason to hate on the edina fans for leaving after the first period when your team was down 4-0. They were kind a enough to leave you half the rink, being gracious hosts and all but not many of your fans came, they must of been frustrated and just left early. As for the 07 season yes that did happen but if you think Bischoff some how in that game last week makes it so GR would have won your nuts, he is only one player and cant do everything. But that is besides the point i think at the X anything can happen as we saw with South or DE last year so it could happen but first Edina has to get by Burnsville and Grand rapids has to get by...... Forest Lake
Dude take a chill pill. Braemar is a nice rink, that is a completely different topic than # of fans who support the team at home games. Also, I doubt GR will even face Forest Lake as GR looks like they'll be a 1 or 2 seed this time. If they do play FL I would actually welcome that matchup. No way GR loses 3 in a row to them.

C-dad

Post by C-dad » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am

mnmouth wrote:
C-dad wrote:
But there wasn't one that night. When there was on Saturday, the fans showed up. :wink:

green4

Post by green4 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
green4 wrote:
Dude take a chill pill. Braemar is a nice rink, that is a completely different topic than # of fans who support the team at home games. Also, I doubt GR will even face Forest Lake as GR looks like they'll be a 1 or 2 seed this time. If they do play FL I would actually welcome that matchup. No way GR loses 3 in a row to them.
its actually not a different topic at all... because your saying we don't fill both sides but if you go to bremar one side is labeled Hornets on the back wall while the other says visitors. similar to how BIG works if i remember correctly. the edina fans fill out there side but they don't go over to the other side no matter how many seats are open over there its just how it works. Lots of edina fans are supporting there team but your not gonna find them in the visitor section.