Seniors on JV

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

murraychadwick

Seniors on JV

Post by murraychadwick » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:19 am

I know this is mainly a metro issue. I'd like to hear your schools philosophy on playing seniors on Junior Varsity all seaosn. <p></p><i></i>

gunslinger

Re: Seniors on JV

Post by gunslinger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 pm

Absolutely not! JUNIOR GOLD! My personal opinnion is that JV is a grooming ground to get kids ready for the varsity level. I dont think JV hockey should be a holding ground for disgruntled seniors who think they should be playing varsity!<br><br>-The SLinger <p></p><i></i>

murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:07 pm

While I tend to agree with you, how far out do you stretch that? What about a junior who will not ever play varsity, or a sophomore. I understand many things can happen physically and mentally between the ages of 15-18, but lets be honest some kids are never gonna be varsity hockey players.<br><br>Do any programs out there have any hard and fast rules against Seniors on JV.<br> <p></p><i></i>

PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 am

Hill-Murray is against seniors on JV. I guess they made their own rule that seniors are there only to suit-up for varsity games and no JV. <p></p><i></i>

buddy

Seniors on JV

Post by buddy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:17 pm

In small town northern MN the general rule is seniors do not get a spot on JV. There have been years when numbers are down and they need extra bodies on JV so they make an exception. It should be the exception, not the rule. <p></p><i></i>

Tigerpride

Post by Tigerpride » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:27 pm

No seniors on JV, i agree that JV is used to get players prepared to play at the varsity level, and if your a senior and your on JV... then whats the point? <p></p><i></i>

hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:11 pm

what about a kid that loves to play hockey and he isn't taking a spot from any underclassmen (small program)<br><br>what ever happened to for the love of the game <p></p><i></i>

hockeyequalslife

Post by hockeyequalslife » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:00 pm

i think that you should just play hockey even if you are a senior and playing jv if you love the game enough it owuldnt matter if you were playing jv or varsity <p></p><i></i>

Goldyshuffle

Post by Goldyshuffle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:11 am

The problem with Seniors on the JV team is that it takes spots away from those who could potentially develop in Varsity players in the future. That in my opinion is what the JV team is for. Not for seniors to play, that is what Jr. Gold is for. If a senior is not good enough to play at least 3rd line on the varsity he needs to go and play Jr. Gold. As harsh as that may sound, I belive your 4th line is your swing line. A line that doesn't play alot in the varsity games, but can at least go and play 1 or 2 periods in the JV. You cannot develop a senior in one season. But take a freshman, sophmore, or even a junior and get him to understand what the varsity is trying to do, or trying to accomplish and let the coaches work with him the whole year, you may have someone that can step up the following year and contribute at a varsity level. Just my two cents..... <p>This young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... shuffle</A> at: 1/31/06 1:12 am<br></i>

ApolloEagle39

Post by ApolloEagle39 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:51 am

St. Cloud Apollo has a senior on their JV who is the hardest working kid in the program (varsity and junior varsity) as long as he's not taking a spot away from an underclassman why not let a kid who is an extremely hard worker and loves the game of hockey set an example for the younger kids on the JV squad? <p></p><i></i>

9hockey1

Post by 9hockey1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:54 pm

there is a couple of seniors on the St. Francis jv team. <p></p><i></i>

ApolloEagle39

Post by ApolloEagle39 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:02 pm

Thank you hockey, for your deep analysis. <p></p><i></i>

HiTmE

Post by HiTmE » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:42 am

I dont see an issue with seniors on JV if there not good enough to play V. some kids just want to play, nobody wants to go to practice every day, and then dress and not play. i think they should put the kids where they are going to get the most playing time. thats how they improve.

hophockey

Post by hophockey » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:44 pm

i think sr. on jv is just stupid go play jr gold if u love the game and still wanna play but i mean if kids on the jv team wanna win and a sr on the team is bad and brings down the team how do u think it makes the other kids on the team who wanna win feel ans same goes with 3rd line jv players they shouldnt get a chance to play either just look at hopkins 3 rd line there first 2 lines are gonna be the top lines in varsity next year but the 3 rd line just brings the team down

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:03 pm

In many programs (this is true for both basketball and hockey) if you are not on varsity by the time you are a freshman or sophomore, you won't be on varsity ever. Sure JV can be another brewing ground for varsity, but at the same time in many cases, it is just the team for the guys who want to play hockey and aren't good enough to play varsity.

Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:09 am

Simley has 8 seniors playing JV.

If you are a senior, you should not play JV. Why take a spot from an underclassmen. Even if your numbers are low, you should go with what you have as underclassmen.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:29 am

Cabela10 wrote:Simley has 8 seniors playing JV.

If you are a senior, you should not play JV. Why take a spot from an underclassmen. Even if your numbers are low, you should go with what you have as underclassmen.
Well that's dumb!
If they have only enough players to field both teams, why deny a Sr. the chance to play? Which I'm going to guess is the case here.
As long as best available players are playing varsity, who cares? some kids just love to play, and don't really care what team they're on.
It may be the last organized hockey some play, and being it's their Sr. year I don't see the problem at all.

Cabela10

Post by Cabela10 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 pm

I understand there situation but you should try to bring up some bantams to fill those JV spots. Johnson and Richfield this season only had 9 guys on JV because they didn't take any seniors.

LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:14 pm

I think if you are at a small school and varsity is full, and if numbers for JV are low then letting a senior play JV is fine.

theref

Post by theref » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:48 am

What about areas that don't field JG teams for all of you that say they should just go to Junior Gold?

Sauce2122

Post by Sauce2122 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:24 pm

murraychadwick wrote:While I tend to agree with you, how far out do you stretch that? What about a junior who will not ever play varsity, or a sophomore. I understand many things can happen physically and mentally between the ages of 15-18, but lets be honest some kids are never gonna be varsity hockey players.<br><br>Do any programs out there have any hard and fast rules against Seniors on JV.<br> <p></p><i></i>
Lakeville souths coach is the king of keeping kids that dont play. He has two seniors who have about 5 minutes of playing time all year, and about 5 kids on jv who will never see varsity time, and probably a few more. They should give kids a chance on jv, but if its obvious theyre way behind they should get cut.

toddy101

Post by toddy101 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:39 pm

actually, my team is intersting....they play the really bad seniors on varsity. Its kinda a mercy thing, except for the younger players who are better, and get forced to JV.

FunTimes

Post by FunTimes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 pm

I think a lot of you that post stuff on here are stuck in high school. Get on with your life, you're talking about jv hockey don't you have anything better to do? JV hockey is over now but I just want to say this. Seniors who are on JV will probably be the best people out in the real world when they graduate. Who cares about this varsity, jv hoopla it's just a game where you put a rubber disc in the net.

Eagan Hockey

Post by Eagan Hockey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:28 pm

There was a senior on ep team i think

D1Scout

Post by D1Scout » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm

I agree that JV is a place to develop younger players - not seniors.

On a side note - I am discouraged by the frequent number of Seniors that are CUT to make room for Sophomores and Freshman (and sometimes 8th graders.) Although I understand the concept of playing equally talented "underclassman" instead of seniors, the thing that coaches are forgetting - seniors have one thing most underclassman do not possess... maturity! With maturity comes confidence and poise on the ice - NOT PANIC!

I could list several recent HS games that were lost because of the immaturity of younger players. (no offense guys.) Seniors have a stronger emotional development and can handle the pressures of playoffs. Underclassman can buckle under that pressure (again - no offense.)

My point... Let underclassman play JV and keep quality Seniors (and Juniors) playing varsity.

p.s. When's the last time a College Coach cut a senior for an underclassman?