STA vs. CDH

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CDH or STA?

CDH
49%
STA
51%

Total votes: 70

STAte Champs

STA vs. CDH

Post by STAte Champs » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:11 pm

whats going to happen in this huge rivalry game at STA's arena between the 2 defending state champs?

rodfontana

Re: STA vs. CDH

Post by rodfontana » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:33 pm

Well, its simple, this game is going to be a barn burner, grab the choppers, throw on a coat, head down to the rink and buy a dog. This game will be won by st. thomas if hickey is not back yet from his injury. If hes back, it will be a one goal game, could go either way though.

topshelf10

Post by topshelf10 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:50 pm

This is going to be a sweet game. I haven't seen Cretin play this year so it's hard foe me to give a great prediction. STA has played fairly well and Cretin has been a little bit of a disappointment so far, but I think this game will depend a lot on if Hickey is playing 100%.

If Hickey plays...
Cretin 4
STA 3

If he doesn't
probably an STA win

irishman

Re: STA vs. CDH

Post by irishman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm

STAte Champs wrote:whats going to happen in this huge rivalry game at STA's arena between the 2 defending state champs?
STA will score more goals than CDH
What Can Brown Do For You?

STAte Champs

Post by STAte Champs » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 am

This rivalry has been crazy for the longest time, , it's one of the biggest rivalries in hockey and all sports for that matter, if not the biggest. It will be a good game no matter what... Hickey or no Hickey. They are both strong teams again this year. STA has been a more impressive team so far this year, with the lob-sided win over breck, and strong wins over lourdes and red wing. STA pulled it together to tie Duluth Marshall, CDH lost to Marshall. It's a chance for McDonough to show if he can take the team without Hickey. STA has a lot of talent and the speed.

STA - 4

CDH - 1

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:47 am

It IS the biggest rivalry in MN, and in the last few years has been getting big in hockey too. On the 23rd there will probably be 2,000+ people in the St Thomas Ice Arena that seats 1,000 in addition to all the people who will watch St Thomas beat Cretin on FSN, Hickey or no Hickey.

They played twice last year where St Thomas was up the first game and Cretin had to come back to win it. This is a much better Cadet team with even one more year under Crandall's belt. Hopefully Cretin can pull it together so the two can meet up in the X again.

STA by 2

mnjorc

Post by mnjorc » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:01 am

I would like to see STA win this one, but I really dont know. It could easily go either way. If you want to get into that arena though you should pitch a tent the night before. Yeah, the arena holds 5x as many people as the CDH home rink, but it still cant hold the number of people that are going to be at this one. Set your VCR's and Tivo's to record this one just in case you dont get a spot that you can see from. FSN is taking over some parts of the arena that could normally hold a few more people also. I do agree that its a huge rivalry. Anything between STA and CDH is a big rivalry. This game should be at a bigger arena most definately. Both teams will be all pumped up and ready for this one. It will be hard hitting, fast skating, and really just an awesome game. They have the possibility of playing each other twice in one week. See you all at the rink!!

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:19 pm

I knew there were complaints but when was the matchup relocated from Ridder?

STAte Champs

Post by STAte Champs » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:51 pm

the game is at STA, it's not at ridder...

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:45 pm

STAte Champs wrote:the game is at STA, it's not at ridder...
Yeah hence my question, 'When was it relocated?'

cmf

Post by cmf » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:49 pm

It was never at Ridder arena. Back to the subject, this game will be all about depth. Both teams first lines are very good, even though Cretin lost Hickey. I believe that they will each get a goal. The game will depend on how the second and third lines play and from what I have seen STA is suprisingly deeper. MY Pick: STA:3 CDH:1 Crandall makes somewhere around thirty saves and Hause makes about 22. Last 2 STA goals will be scored by their second line.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:37 pm

Last year's STA/CDH game was played at Cretin's home rink. (Is that Ridder?) So, this year it's at STA's home. But yes, they should play it at a bigger venue. What really should've happened is that when they built it they should've built seats on both sides. STA and CDH students sitting by each other is not a good mix, it's bad enough when they are across a court from each other.

People not from the two schools won't care, but there is a basketball game between the two the night before at Cretin. Both basketball teams are at the top of their respective classes, so expect chants and attitudes of players and fans to be affects by the outcome of that game.

Last year Cretin beat St Thomas by 1 point in basketball at St Thomas. And won in both hockey games by less than 3 goals. (I think one was 1 goal and the other was 2).

thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:27 pm

There were "rumors" of a venue change but they never materialized apparently. Its sad, they should at least play this game at Aldrich, so you won't have to show up 30 or so minutes prior to JV to get in before the fire marshal shuts the place down.

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:32 pm

cmf wrote:It was never at Ridder arena
Sorry, it was. The annual game was originally planned to take place at a neutral site with large capacity--Ridder arena. There were many complaints, however, and as you can see it led to a relocation at St. Thomas. My question had nothing to do with whether or not the game was scheduled at Ridder, rather when it was rescheduled at STA, so, thanks for the stellar insight. :lol:

Back to the subject, Cretin won't have Hickey back, so, unless STA goes into a slump midwinter, I see a Cadets win. No need to predict scores this early.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:24 am

I figured I'd throw this out there since this thread is already about St Thomas. Anyone know why they didn't make stands on both sides of the rink?

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:41 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:I figured I'd throw this out there since this thread is already about St Thomas. Anyone know why they didn't make stands on both sides of the rink?
The architecture of the rink has been designed for additions--more stands, a second rink, a bigger weightroom, different locker rooms, etc.. On the benchside of the arena you'll see that that the wall is one sided and leaves no obstructing land further east of it (only farms). As time goes on they could add another set of stands, but it's more likely a second rink will be installed.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:11 pm

Are you someone who knows these kinds of things, or are you just speculating?

A second rink would be great, but why not have enough stands for the one rink that's already there. One rink that can seat a lot of people is probably better than two that doesn't seat many.

nbsupremexxx

a

Post by nbsupremexxx » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:26 pm

highly unlikely will STA/UST install another rink in the near future. The rink was added 3-4 years ago and the schools are still paying for it. On top of the arena, STA is scheduled to build a new athletic facility, fieldhouse/weight room/ possibly new pool and basketball court. They will be paying bills for quite some time. My guess is that in 20 years they will make some minor changes to the arena, possibly more seating, but very unlikley a new rink.

Cristo

Re: a

Post by Cristo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:47 pm

nbsupremexxx wrote:highly unlikely will STA/UST install another rink in the near future. The rink was added 3-4 years ago and the schools are still paying for it. On top of the arena, STA is scheduled to build a new athletic facility, fieldhouse/weight room/ possibly new pool and basketball court. They will be paying bills for quite some time. My guess is that in 20 years they will make some minor changes to the arena, possibly more seating, but very unlikley a new rink.
Impact Hockey has actually suggested (funding) the addition of another rink. As Impact Hockey continues to grow it's entirely possible a new rink will be installed within 10 years or less. And hockeywatcher, this is what I have been told, so it's not me speculating. :lol:

topshelf10

new rink

Post by topshelf10 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I've heard a lot about the second rink at STA. Impact hockey is the group that is really pushing for it. I think they want like a practice rink with minimal seating kind of like at St. Cloud University. Then I think it would be smart to add seating to the existing arena. I'm not sure how they could do that, but most likely knock out the wall on the east side of the rink, but I think we will see a new smaller rink before addition seating in the big rink.

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I'm just curious, interested in what's going on. Why a new rink? It probably would help with scheduling for UST and STA, but that's not worth the millions it would take.

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:57 pm

HShockeywatcher wrote:I'm just curious, interested in what's going on. Why a new rink? It probably would help with scheduling for UST and STA, but that's not worth the millions it would take.
Impact Hockey is a training membership program designed for hockey players. Its headquarters is at STA and it runs through the summer. They have strict ice hours (even though they literally buy out the ice time in the summer), however, making it difficult to reach their potential as they can only put so many players on the ice. With more members, they need more ice. And as this program is growing exponentially they will need to make some quick changes. It could be worth the money.

Topshelf07

Post by Topshelf07 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:59 pm

This question was probably already answered but when is Hickey ready to lace it back up?

Cristo

Post by Cristo » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Early January.

Topshelf07

Post by Topshelf07 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Well, then i guess it could go either way. CDH could really use Hickey in this game.

STA-3
CDH-2