Time of Possession

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Would this be a nice addition?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 20

HShockeywatcher

Time of Possession

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Goals scored is obviously the most important stat of the game. But others go into that. There are many who say that SOG is very important too. I would think it can be, but what I would think would be really nice along with SOG is how much time the puck was on each side of the blue lines, and how much it was between the blue lines. Sometimes the team with the most shots of goal is dominant, sometimes not. This would really help illustrate who was.
boblee

Post by boblee »

The only stat that matters is final score. Example...

Team A outshoots Team B in the section QRT Final 75-1.
Team A has more scoring chances, 22-1.
Team A has more time of possesion, 49 mins-2 mins...

Who advances when Team B wins this stat...

GOALS...

Team B 1, Team A 0...

Team B advances, doesn't matter who the superior team was.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

boblee wrote:The only stat that matters is final score. Example...

Team A outshoots Team B in the section QRT Final 75-1.
Team A has more scoring chances, 22-1.
Team A has more time of possesion, 49 mins-2 mins...

Who advances when Team B wins this stat...

GOALS...

Team B 1, Team A 0...

Team B advances, doesn't matter who the superior team was.
boblee hit it directly on the nose. Should then be end of subject.
HShockeywatcher

So you two are saying that between periods at pro/college games they should not give any stats, just the score?

I said that the goals in net are the most important, but other stats help you know what happened at the game if you weren't there and help teams know what they need to work on.
THEGunslinger

Post by THEGunslinger »

Its not football, its hockey! Come on! Shots on goal is enough... I think that in itself shows time of possesion!
hotpotato81

I agree

Post by hotpotato81 »

I agree with you watcher. If I have upcoming games with team A and Team B, the stats do matter in my preparation for the games. If a team gets outshot 75-1 and wins on a fluke goal, I don't think I would be that concerned on my defensive prep, but I would sure study the tendencies of the goalie.

In tourny play, team B advances, in the real world you end up playing both on your schedule.

I would think time in the zone would be a bette indication of how the game was played than shots on goal. It also might be more objective that quality scoring chances.
wbmd

Re: Time of Possession

Post by wbmd »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Goals scored is obviously the most important stat of the game. But others go into that. There are many who say that SOG is very important too. I would think it can be, but what I would think would be really nice along with SOG is how much time the puck was on each side of the blue lines, and how much it was between the blue lines. Sometimes the team with the most shots of goal is dominant, sometimes not. This would really help illustrate who was.
I think some people (not just HShockeywatcher either) spend way too much time thinking of new threads.

Some threads are good, while others are a waste of time.
HShockeywatcher

For example from the Tartan game where they received A LOT of shots on goal, people said lots of them were just tossed in; maybe on changing of lines, or something like that. Well, a time of possession would confirm that. If the other team knew their offense wasn't better but they had good defense they could just get a shot on goal and hope. If the goal was the get shots on goal, almost any team could dominate another if that wasn't the other team's goal.
boblee

Post by boblee »

HShockeywatcher wrote:For example from the Tartan game where they received A LOT of shots on goal, people said lots of them were just tossed in; maybe on changing of lines, or something like that. Well, a time of possession would confirm that. If the other team knew their offense wasn't better but they had good defense they could just get a shot on goal and hope. If the goal was the get shots on goal, almost any team could dominate another if that wasn't the other team's goal.
How would you even do TOP in hockey? there are SO MANY times in a game where no one has possesion
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

boblee wrote:
HShockeywatcher wrote:For example from the Tartan game where they received A LOT of shots on goal, people said lots of them were just tossed in; maybe on changing of lines, or something like that. Well, a time of possession would confirm that. If the other team knew their offense wasn't better but they had good defense they could just get a shot on goal and hope. If the goal was the get shots on goal, almost any team could dominate another if that wasn't the other team's goal.
How would you even do TOP in hockey? there are SO MANY times in a game where no one has possesion
Another great point from boblee!!
HShockeywatcher

You just do how much time the puck was on one side of the blue line, in between the blue lines, and then on the other side of the blue line.

If you are short handed, you get the puck and just send it to the other side of the ice, sure you don't have possession, but it is not in your zone, and you had control of it to send it down there.
boblee

Post by boblee »

HShockeywatcher wrote:You just do how much time the puck was on one side of the blue line, in between the blue lines, and then on the other side of the blue line.

If you are short handed, you get the puck and just send it to the other side of the ice, sure you don't have possession, but it is not in your zone, and you had control of it to send it down there.
Too hard to calculate. Far too difficult. Even that wouldn't be a good stat, just like shots sometimes arent. What if one team is short handed, and ices it a lot. Their TOP looks much better than it should be. Or a team that gets to the red, flips it in, and lets the other team break out. Or how about a team who sets up their PP in their own end and wastes 10 seconds down there without even an opposing player in the zone. I don't know how else to prove this to your. The stat would be worthless.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

HShockeywatcher wrote:You just do how much time the puck was on one side of the blue line, in between the blue lines, and then on the other side of the blue line.

If you want to sit there and figure it for an entire game, go right ahead. It's not like football.
THEGunslinger

Post by THEGunslinger »

we cant even get goal judges, and now they want some dork to sit with a stopwatch and keep track of who has possesion of the puck! This is a geek who has WAYYYYYYYYYYY to muc time on his hands!

How about we have Zamboni time too... somone can keep track of avg zamboni resurfacing time!
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

THEGunslinger wrote:we cant even get goal judges, and now they want some dork to sit with a stopwatch and keep track of who has possesion of the puck! This is a geek who has WAYYYYYYYYYYY to muc time on his hands!

How about we have Zamboni time too... somone can keep track of avg zamboni resurfacing time!
<------Dork \:D/
Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy »

THEGunslinger wrote:How about we have Zamboni time too... somone can keep track of avg zamboni resurfacing time!
\:D/ \:D/ :lol: :lol:
mnwild04

Post by mnwild04 »

THEGunslinger wrote:we cant even get goal judges, and now they want some dork to sit with a stopwatch and keep track of who has possesion of the puck! This is a geek who has WAYYYYYYYYYYY to muc time on his hands!

You mean you haven't timed the different zamboni's at all the arenas, and then start comparing zamboni drivers time. It determines the pay of zamboni drivers, and whether or not they end up in Moorhead or Moose Lake to be a zamboni driver.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

I would guess about 10-12 minutes on average. :D \:D/
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

I think watcher should set the whole thing up. He seems to have alot of time.
HShockeywatcher

Well, it could be a distant future for high school hockey. I was just wondering what people thought of the idea. Because any stat taken out of context is worthless, but with even that one more stat you know more. In NHL they have exactly how many minutes/seconds each guy has been out there almost current for the whole game. If they can do that, I'm sure they could do it for the puck too, probably much more easily.

Everyone says this isn't football. So team A gets kick offs and returns 4 for TDs and wins 35-7 but for the 60 minute game only had control of the ball for 8 minutes. Sure without the score you'd say team B won. But they didn't. That's why you have multiple stats; I'm not saying to get rid of the rest and just have this one.
boblee

Post by boblee »

You have had a lot of good idea. This isn't one of them
HShockeywatcher

Hey, I'll take that as a compliment and move on.
ae_42

Post by ae_42 »

If you want to keep track of time of possession be my guest. What ever floats your boat. I just think that might take all the fun out of watching a hockey game
HShockeywatcher

There are so many stats the NHL does you could say that about. But when it comes down to it, they all help a team analyze a game.
boblee

Post by boblee »

HShockeywatcher wrote:There are so many stats the NHL does you could say that about. But when it comes down to it, they all help a team analyze a game.
If you wanna analyze a game, just watch film.