IGH-RED=the bosses

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Papa Dangles

IGH-RED=the bosses

Post by Papa Dangles »

headline explains it all...IGH-Red are the dominators...RAVE wasn't nearly as good as buffalo..we had an off game

7-5 was the score of IGH vs. RAVE.

buffalo must have had an off game today vs woodbury.

basically D8 teams kicked a$$ this year.

It's been a fun year and i'm sad to have to hang up my skates for good...

Thanks to everyone on IGH-Red for making this my best year of hockey, and definitly the most fun. good luck to you guys in whatever you go on to do.
wingman15

Post by wingman15 »

What a great hockey tournament, all 8 teams provided great games. I have been a part of youth and high school hockey and this is the best bunch of players and fans I can remember. Every team I saw, and I watched them all, played their hearts outs. I watch the effort not the talent.
IGH, congratulations great effort. All the rest of you be very proud of yourselves.
My respect goes to the team I saw the most. If you didn't know, they (Woodbury) came into the season with slim chances. The team was a mixture former C, some B, some that had been out of hockey for several years, a player that had never played youth hockey and 3 former JVs. They did not know if they had a goalie until the first practise. It turned out the goalie was great and the boys overachieved, all 3 lines skated equally, even in the last 2 minutes of the state semis (Pete you know this).
Sorry to bore you, I know all you players and fans have equally great stories.
I hope all the boys take the experience and confidence of this year through the rest of their lives.
wingman15

Re: IGH-RED=the bosses

Post by wingman15 »

Papa Dangles wrote:headline explains it all...IGH-Red are the dominators...RAVE wasn't nearly as good as buffalo..we had an off game

7-5 was the score of IGH vs. RAVE.

buffalo must have had an off game today vs woodbury.

basically D8 teams kicked a$$ this year.

It's been a fun year and i'm sad to have to hang up my skates for good...

Thanks to everyone on IGH-Red for making this my best year of hockey, and definitly the most fun. good luck to you guys in whatever you go on to do.
Thanks for the vote confidence dangles, Woodbury beat buffalo straight up and they were very good, Buffalo played their ass off. By the way you were not playing the same goalie for the first 6 goals as we played.
You still have our respect.
Have a good life.
SticksandStones

Post by SticksandStones »

I don't think Woodbury's chances were slim, they had lots of returning guys after being top ranked all last year, and only losing 3 games, two of them in playoffs. And the goalie thing, he called and asked us for a waiver, way before "the first practice" - IGH on the other hand had 14 seniors graduate, and only had ONE player return for this year.
bladesofsteel

Post by bladesofsteel »

KENNY IS KING!
SticksandStones

For sure
Papa Dangles

Post by Papa Dangles »

no, i hear phil anderson is where its at.
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

Phil was horrible now that Zach Milne kid was the KING.
Papa Dangles

Post by Papa Dangles »

no...i'm pretty sure we can all agree that Travis Steichen was definitly the king...not just of IGH but of Junior Gold B entirely...
SticksandStones

I will second that...
bladesofsteel

Post by bladesofsteel »

TRUE TRUE
wingman15

Post by wingman15 »

S&S, might as well keep this thing going, nothing else to do now that hockey is over. I wasn't asking for your sympathy or your approval, I was just trying to compliment our boys on their hard work. It didn't reflect on you or your team.
Most of Woodbury's first and second line graduated, they were most of the point leaders. Sure they got a fair amount of players back, they had 18 skaters last year. You didn't see the first practices this year, you would not have given them much chance. People that knew figured it would be a .500 season. Also, you didn't sign off on the goalie waiver until the day of the first practice and you were trying to recruit our goalie.
If Woodbury was so full of talent, tell me who their stars are? You were trying to tell anybody that would listen that Woodbury should have been playing JGA. This coming from club that produced the state champion and the worst team in the district from the same pool of skaters.
bladesofsteel

Post by bladesofsteel »

i can understand how people may think that we just tried to load up one team, but it couldnt be farther from the truth.we basicly took the igh kids cut them in half and put them with either the rosemount boys or SSP. those two cities wanted to keep there players together uderstandably.(u want to play with your friends),and there was a age gap betwen the 2 sets of igh boys. and if we didnt want to give up buhl we wouldnt had to but we did because he played with u guys last year and it wouldnt be right for us to say he cant play with u guys again. and by no means am i taking anything away from woodbury u guys have been the toughest competition these last 2 years and i really hope it continues, also congrats on the 3rd place its well deserved.
wingman15

Post by wingman15 »

bladesofsteel wrote:i can understand how people may think that we just tried to load up one team, but it couldnt be farther from the truth.we basicly took the igh kids cut them in half and put them with either the rosemount boys or SSP. those two cities wanted to keep there players together uderstandably.(u want to play with your friends),and there was a age gap betwen the 2 sets of igh boys. and if we didnt want to give up buhl we wouldnt had to but we did because he played with u guys last year and it wouldnt be right for us to say he cant play with u guys again. and by no means am i taking anything away from woodbury u guys have been the toughest competition these last 2 years and i really hope it continues, also congrats on the 3rd place its well deserved.
Hey Blades, I know our guys appreciate the compliment, same to you.
I just think some people assumed Woodbury would come up with this great team from day 1 and that wasn't the case. I probably should have kept my comments amoung our team. It wasn't meant to disrespect the accomplishments of any other teams.
I have no beef how your team or any team was organized. Woodbury had 2 u16 teams, one was better than the other. Every player and coach hopes they can put together a team with the best chance of winning. I was told Buffalo had a lot of boys with high school expericence, more power to them. This is why JRG is so viable (how's that for a big word). There is a place for all these boys to skate.
I admire guys like your coach who stuck out the tough times with this league and the bad rep it had. They helped make it what it is today, a great place for boys to compete and be proud of. Guys like Woodbury's coach who had like 10 skaters at the first practice. Hard to dream about state at that point. I hope that Woodbury and IGH have a healthy rivarly for years to come and maybe some will remember the great battles these to teams had. I know the boys I talked to feel you guys were their best opponent over the last two years.
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

wingman15 wrote:Also, you didn't sign off on the goalie waiver until the day of the first practice and you were trying to recruit our goalie.
We never tried to "recruit" your goalie. When he called about getting a waiver we told him he has to go through the board like last year and that he could stay in IGH and play because we would need a goalie but he wanted to go back to to play with his friends he had on the team and the next board meeting that came up he got his waiver. Brent is one helluva goalie and I would have liked him to stay here but it wasn't up to us coaches.

Almost the same thing happened with our goalie but the only difference is his association didn't field a team. He was asked by the RAVE to play/tryout for them but decided to play for us with his friends that were also coming from his association.

Also Woodbury and Hastings have dominated Jr Gold B in D8 for 10+ years. We were the first team besides those two to win the regular season title. I think its about time someone else gets to win in D8.

I would also like to mentioned that Rochester's coach Daryl Jensen has retired from coaching. He was behind the bench for them for 15 years. He is one of the classiest coaches. He was involved in a Hit and Run outside Graham Arena two years ago and it has limited his ability to coach. He will be greatly missed behind the bench for Rochester. Daryl isn't done with Jr Gold though he as accepted a position with D8 to help improve and keep Jr Gold hockey going strong in Minnesota
SticksandStones

Wingman, we have a lot of respect for you and your team, and were cheering for you at playoffs, I was in the middle hugging all the woobury mom's after woodbury scored to win, then I ran down to the ice and gave brent a hug and to say congrats to the team, I was on the ice handing out trophies. Anyway, it was a great season, and we were happy to see D8 well respresented in State.

I personally cried when Daryl told me he was retiring, it was in the parking lot after they lost their second playoff game, I agree that he is one of the classiest coaches I know. He told me he's passing the torch to the excellent assistants he has acquired, partially because he has not been on skates since his accident. It was heart-warming to see him up at Highland on Friday, just enjoying an afternoon of Junior Gold.
wingman15

Post by wingman15 »

SticksandStones wrote:Wingman, we have a lot of respect for you and your team, and were cheering for you at playoffs, I was in the middle hugging all the woobury mom's after woodbury scored to win, then I ran down to the ice and gave brent a hug and to say congrats to the team, I was on the ice handing out trophies. Anyway, it was a great season, and we were happy to see D8 well respresented in State.

I personally cried when Daryl told me he was retiring, it was in the parking lot after they lost their second playoff game, I agree that he is one of the classiest coaches I know. He told me he's passing the torch to the excellent assistants he has acquired, partially because he has not been on skates since his accident. It was heart-warming to see him up at Highland on Friday, just enjoying an afternoon of Junior Gold.
Sticks thanks, we were watching your guys in the championship game and so were the Woodbury coaches. I hope you and your family have many more sucessful seasons enjoying hockey. I hope some of the younger kids got to see how much fun they can have in JRG no matter what level they come from.
GAC02

Post by GAC02 »

sticks nice tribute to the rochester coach it's people like him that have stuck it out threw the years and made jr gold a great competative league and gives many kids that would not have a place to play a chance to keep playing the game we all love. freightrain was your igh red heavy with seniors like last years tournment team that bet chaska for 3rd.
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

GAC02 wrote:sticks nice tribute to the rochester coach it's people like him that have stuck it out threw the years and made jr gold a great competative league and gives many kids that would not have a place to play a chance to keep playing the game we all love. freightrain was your igh red heavy with seniors like last years tournment team that bet chaska for 3rd.
IGH Red had at least 7 seniors on it.
freighttrain

Post by freighttrain »

GAC02 wrote:sticks nice tribute to the rochester coach it's people like him that have stuck it out threw the years and made jr gold a great competative league and gives many kids that would not have a place to play a chance to keep playing the game we all love. freightrain was your igh red heavy with seniors like last years tournment team that bet chaska for 3rd.
We had 11 seniors , 1 junior, and 6 sophomores. Only 1 player returned from last years team. Next year though we will be mostly juniors and sophomores.
hockey0716

Post by hockey0716 »

i was on the woodbury jr. gold team last year and i am very proud of them and IGH-red this year. i didnt think IGH-red had a chance this year really losing all their players but one. i also didnt think woodbury had much of a chance since they lost a lot of the "better" players from last years team. I only saw one game this year, but im sure brent helped them out alot this year. Once again, congrats to IGH -red and WOodbury for great seasons. keep it up
SticksandStones

GAC02 - Thanks, he will be missed by my family for sure, but his coaches that are stepping up, are very nice as well.
tmacjrgold

Post by tmacjrgold »

Fellow coaches, players, family, friends, and fans of Junior Gold -

As mentioned previously, our coach Daryl Jensen has decided to 'retire' from coaching. I wanted to take a moment and publicly thank Daryl, who I consider my friend, my coach, and my mentor, for not only all of his years as a coach, but especially for these past two years. I had been an assistant coach on my son(s) teams since termites, but Daryl has taught me more about the game these past two years then all of the previous years combined.

Last night, we had our year end banquet and it was a great time to reflect on the season, and to honor all of our players, our senior class, and a nice opportunity to honor a good man who I consider to be the 'God Father' of Junior Gold here in Rochester. Daryl believes in the value of the program, and has kept it alive. Although Daryl wasn't allowed to lace up the skates any longer, he found a way to make it work. His contributions went far beyond being able to coach from the ice.

We all know how important the Junior Gold program is, and how it is a special opportunity to coach the same core group of young men for 2-3 years, We get to watch them grow as players and as young men. I know Daryl and myself both enjoy the competition and comradery from not only the D8 teams, but all of the Junior Gold teams we face. I consider us to be a band of brothers. Brian, Mark, Jay, Jerome, Pete, Scott, Steve, and all of the other coaches, it's a pleasure to coach against you guys!

Although I have a son who graduates this year, and a younger son who will try out for a High School team next year, I will continue to pour my heart and sole into the Rochester team, and it will be nice knowing that Daryl will be in the wings, and still be involved in some fashion. With that being said, it is with humbleness that I will assume the head coaching position, and along with returning assistant coaches, Brad Berge, and Chris Roberts (who were former Junior Gold players under Daryl), as well as Gerald Niess and Matt Schotte, we want to say......

"Thanks for the ride Daryl".

Have a great summer and we look forward to seeing everyone next season!

Tim McLaughlin - Rochester Junior Gold
Coachen

Post by Coachen »

Tmac ... Great write up! Daryl is a class act! We had a great conversation between periods of the Championship game in Albert Lea! We will miss seeing him on the bench .. but with what you have learned from him .. I guarentee the Rochester program will be in good hands.

Franchise, Great apology! We who take great pride in the Jr Gold program apprecite it. We all make mistakes from time to time, big and small, but it takes a man to own up to it .. Nice Job!

freighttrain, We (Rave) have never recruited anybody, especially a goalie this year. We had 5 tryout, and with our numbers being down this year .. could only field 1 team. We had to send 2 to the Burnsville U-16 team and 1 went to Prior Lake.

I want to thank all of you this year for a fantastic time. The friends that were made along the way will have lasting memories. I'm very proud of our players, and the year we had. We worked very hard on rebuilding this program so is wasn't such a eye sore. The effort put forth over the last 5 years has really led to some very exciting moments. Some of you may not give us much credit .. but we are very proud of our 32-3-2 record including 3 tourney championships and a State Runner up trophy.

Thanks
Scott
hckywtchr1

Post by hckywtchr1 »

Coachen - You should be proud of your team. They have done well all 3 years that I have been involved in Jr Gold B Hockey. I suspect they're pretty well coached. Congratulations on a great season.