West End Bruins VS Grand Forks [poor refing]

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

dakotakid

West End Bruins VS Grand Forks [poor refing]

Post by dakotakid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Did anyone see this game? My son plays for Grand Forks and said the refs were terrible on both teams. 14 penalties called 2 players ejected for getting 3 penalties in one game. 5 contact to the head penalties. Every time they hit someone the ref found a reason the call a penalty.My wife said nothing was out of hand. The refs name was Brett ******** anyone have the same experiance with him. My son was slashed hard anough across the hand to break his knuckel. He spent the day at the E R, but he missed that one.

aroundtherink

Re: West End Bruins VS Grand Forks [poor refing]

Post by aroundtherink » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

dakotakid wrote:Did anyone see this game? My son plays for Grand Forks and said the refs were terrible on both teams. 14 penalties called 2 players ejected for getting 3 penalties in one game. 5 contact to the head penalties. Every time they hit someone the ref found a reason the call a penalty.My wife said nothing was out of hand. The refs name was Brett ******** anyone have the same experiance with him. My son was slashed hard anough across the hand to break his knuckel. He spent the day at the E R, but he missed that one.
I wasn't at the game, but with the 3 man system (1 ref) there will be missed calls. There will be "no-calls", and there will be calls made that (you may think) were not penalties.

Just like in many sports, its a judgement call and its the referees judgement.

Sorry that your son was slashed and was injured. There has been quite a few injuries from hits that have taken players out of the current game, and some of them a couple games later.

Its part of the game and unfortunately not everyone is always pleased.

Who ended up winning?

Reg Dunlap

Post by Reg Dunlap » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

I noticed a ton of coincidental penalties called all weekend. Seemed to me the refs were afraid to call a penalty, so they just took both players regardless of the situation. Just thought it was weird.
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.