bb's Final Regular Season JGA Rankings

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Reg Dunlap

Post by Reg Dunlap » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Reg Dunlap wrote:
just a fan of hockey wrote:If you had to bet on one dark horse to pull an upset who would you put your money on? Why?
SLP for sure. Beat EP, Beat Edina, crushed lakeville twice. 97 goals on the season. If their goalie can get hot and/or they can tighten things up in the D zone, they have the fire power to pull off some upsets.
Zamboner, where was the confidence earlier? Not saying, just saying.
When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.

Zamboner69

Post by Zamboner69 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 pm

im not saying just saying that im just saying that im really saying that confidence earlier is the confidence now ergo i had confidence.

state champs

Zamboner69

Re: bb's Final Regular Season JGA Rankings

Post by Zamboner69 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:34 pm

blueblood wrote:Another year of Metro play will be in the books after tonight's season finale of Lakeville vs. Burnsville. Here's my season ending rankings and notes on the teams:

#1 - Tonka. Only 1 loss in league play and a couple of losses in Duluth from an unbeaten season. Going into the season, I didn't think the team would be at the top, but they have proven it all year long.

#2 - Wayzata. Stumbled at the end to EP and Edina, but they knew they had the regular season title wrapped up. They will get the #1 seed at regions.

#3 - Ep. Those of you who doubted my #3 ranking earlier this season for the eaglets should bow to me and say "bb, you were right."

#4 - Edina. Nice finish to the season to slide in at the #4 spot. The bottom pool of regions with Ep and Edina is gonna be a barn burner. One of those two teams will be pushed to the final day of double elimination and may be out. Note: the last two teams to finish #4 have not made state. Not a good omen for the Hornets...

#5 and #6 - toss up between Lakeville and Burnsville. If my standings interpretations are correct, Burnsville must win the game to get the #5 seed and be in the Tonka pool for regions. If the blaze lose they are the #6 seed and are in the Wayzata pool. Pick your poison, blaze and lakeville. Good luck to my boys braggen' and lace'em....

Note: The kitties and blaze tied in game 1 of the season and the kitties have more fpp's than the blaze, so that's whay I think braggen's boys have the seeding tie breaker.

#7 the sick SLP team led by the TTrain. The pool with Wayzata, SLP and the either the Blaze or Lakeville will be a very interesting mix of teams for regions.

#8 - Jefferson. The return of the Jags to the varsity bracket of the Metro league was favorable for the baby blue. Note: the results of the Edina vs. Jag game from Friday night was not posted. There was an outside shot for the Jags to win and get their fpp and jump the orange, blue, red & white cladded BSM/SLP/Hopkins conglomeration.

#9 - WBL. Take the last spot for the guaranteed double elimination portion of regions. They will be in the Ep & edina pool.

#10 - Stilly. A team with a goalie in regions always has a shot. They will need to defeat the Rebels to get a crack at Ep in regions.

#11 - Centennial. Consistently one of the biggest goon teams in the Metro league. Led the league in least amount of ffp's earned this year, after finishing tied for third worst last year. After watching their tactics last Monday afternoon of skating 3 strides after the puck has been moved and trying to take out players or punching players on the ice, the Metro League Board needs to have some seroius discussions with the Centennial Association about the conduct of this team and coaching staff.

#12 - Eagan mildcats. Never saw them play. Probably a good thing...

#13 - the Ice Dawgs. How did these guys beat Edina?

#14 - Wessy. Another tough year for the East side boys. Maybe its time to opt out of JGA and play JGB?

#15 - Champlin Park. Not much to say here.

My picks for teams from the metro to make state are:

M1 = Wayzata
M2 = Tonka
M3 = Edina
M4 = Ep
M5 = Burnsville or Lakeville
M6 = SLP
why were we below lakeville if we beat them 3 times ... and shut out burnsville 4 - 0

YeahhhBuddayyy

Post by YeahhhBuddayyy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Maybe because you were a team that won half of your games...

So how does a team go from a win percentage of 50 to beating wayzata easily twice in the post season?

From the 2 times i played them this year they had 3 lines of forwards and 2 lines of defense and 1 goalie.. But when i saw them playing at state there was 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of defense and 2 goalies... just seemed a little sketchy

The Greatness

Post by The Greatness » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

YeahhhBuddayyy wrote:Maybe because you were a team that won half of your games...

So how does a team go from a win percentage of 50 to beating wayzata easily twice in the post season?

From the 2 times i played them this year they had 3 lines of forwards and 2 lines of defense and 1 goalie.. But when i saw them playing at state there was 4 lines of forwards and 3 lines of defense and 2 goalies... just seemed a little sketchy
Are you accusing them of adding players? no they did not. they actually had all their players show up is the thing. All i know is that those 4 lines of forewards, 3 lines of d and 2 goalies just won state so stop complaining
The Greatness is always the Best

hockey relic

Post by hockey relic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm

The Greatness wrote:
YeahhhBuddayyy wrote:Maybe because you were a team that won half of your games...

Are you accusing them of adding players? no they did not. they actually had all their players show up is the thing. All i know is that those 4 lines of forewards, 3 lines of d and 2 goalies just won state so stop complaining
Either way, SLP had poor attendance during the regular season and ended up at #11 seed. You gotta wonder what was up with the team if most of their talent didnt feel like showing up for district games. Then when things get interesting (play off time), they are all into it. Other teams played and practiced together for the whole season.

I feel bad for the SLP kids that went to all the district games and then got their ice time shortened in playoffs by the absentee superstars (how were the goalies handled?) Is this with the spirit of JGA?

Are Breck cuts eligible for SLP JGA also?

rhino06

Post by rhino06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Teams that complain about adding players make me laugh, the usually are the ones with out the first place medal around there neck. The whole season we actually have been playing with 4 lines and 3 sets of D, but in state we played with 3 lines of F (our 4th line touched the ice 3 shifts) and only 5 D with 2 goalies. Another reason for us turning it on late comes to seniors wanting to get it done in there last year. We had the potential, just ask Edina (4-3 in regular season.) and EP (we beat them with only 12 players). Our biggest loss was only by 4 goals (twice), so our losses were quite close. There are many people I know that will verify that we didn't add Any players, including the signature checking person in Hermantown. Anyways let the speculation begin...

rhino06

Post by rhino06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Our goalie mike leach played 2 games and adam Clark played 3

Zamboner69

Post by Zamboner69 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

and we showed the same potential for winning when we beat EP and EDINA in the same week along with numerous wins around those games. SLP was a streaky team and when we come to play its game over. nough said

state champs, 17 skaters, 2 goalies, 1 crip. better luck next year

Zamboner69

Post by Zamboner69 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 pm

hockey relic wrote:
The Greatness wrote:

Either way, SLP had poor attendance during the regular season and ended up at #11 seed. You gotta wonder what was up with the team if most of their talent didnt feel like showing up for district games. Then when things get interesting (play off time), they are all into it. Other teams played and practiced together for the whole season.

I feel bad for the SLP kids that went to all the district games and then got their ice time shortened in playoffs by the absentee superstars (how were the goalies handled?) Is this with the spirit of JGA?

Im sorry I guess we had a small incentive to win ... players got short shifted, they knew that would be the case in big games before they signed up so there was no complaining. just cuz we rolled 3 lines instead of 4 in state and regionals doesnt mean we added players, just had better talent on the ice more times than not.

The Greatness

Post by The Greatness » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Zamboner69 wrote:
hockey relic wrote:
The Greatness wrote:

Im sorry I guess we had a small incentive to win ... players got short shifted, they knew that would be the case in big games before they signed up so there was no complaining. just cuz we rolled 3 lines instead of 4 in state and regionals doesnt mean we added players, just had better talent on the ice more times than not.
hockey relic: the goalies switched off every game except for the few that they had to miss each because of sickness or another reason and they played the rotation all the way until the championship game
The Greatness is always the Best

HalfuhStar

Post by HalfuhStar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:26 pm

good job slp were happy you guys got it we woulda luved to play you guys in the ship but whateva, good job

hockey relic

Post by hockey relic » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 pm

The Greatness wrote:
Zamboner69 wrote:
hockey relic wrote:
The Greatness wrote:

hockey relic: the goalies switched off every game except for the few that they had to miss each because of sickness or another reason and they played the rotation all the way until the championship game
Thanks and congrats to the team. :)

wildthing

Post by wildthing » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 am

Your 4th line only played three shifts in the entire state tourney????

stopthepuck

Post by stopthepuck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm

You act as if nobody shortens their bench in JGA. Saw it all the time last year. I saw kids at state last year that didn't get a single shift, even when the game was out of reach.

StoppatchFairplayHelmets0

Post by StoppatchFairplayHelmets0 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:25 pm

stopthepuck wrote:You act as if nobody shortens their bench in JGA. Saw it all the time last year. I saw kids at state last year that didn't get a single shift, even when the game was out of reach.
There is one coach who CAN say that he never shorted the bench. Mallard Teal for WBL. Even when leading Wayzata 3-2 after 2 periods in the play in game to go to State. He should have but rolled the three.

rhino06

Post by rhino06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm

StoppatchFairplayHelmets0 wrote:
stopthepuck wrote:You act as if nobody shortens their bench in JGA. Saw it all the time last year. I saw kids at state last year that didn't get a single shift, even when the game was out of reach.
There is one coach who CAN say that he never shorted the bench. Mallard Teal for WBL. Even when leading Wayzata 3-2 after 2 periods in the play in game to go to State. He should have but rolled the three.
If we wanna play "my coach is a hero" I'll just throw in our coach is a nice guy and let two kids join the team after they were cut because we don't have a JGB program for them to play on, they got a great amount of shifts throughout the year and now are state champions-they wouldn't have experienced this had our coach not added them

stopthepuck

Post by stopthepuck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 am

That's great to hear (coaches playing everyone) and it is "in the spirit of Jr Gold". These kids just want to play hockey and they should get to. It's too bad that's not the way it is everywhere. Hard to tell a kid, come play for us, pony up a couple thousand for the season, and sit the bench the end of the season. And then wonder why more kids don't want to play Jr Gold?

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

Since Duluth beat SLP in the Duluth tourney, does that mean that Duluth is actually one better then state champs...
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.

T-Train24

Post by T-Train24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:59 am

Since Duluth lost to Wayzata 10-1 in the Duluth tourney does that mean that Duluth is 10 teams worse then the 2nd place team?
Better get off the tracks the T-Trains comin

Brasky

Post by Brasky » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:01 am

Let's chalk it up to another great season. This is what happens every year in the playoffs/state. It's rare that a team goes undefeated. When I saw Tonka play at the beginning of the year I thought they were scary good and would walk away with everything; league, state, etc. At mid season I talked to an SLP dad who said the team was "so-so, not very impressive". Blows my mind every year.
Be a hero!

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 pm

T-Train24 wrote:Since Duluth lost to Wayzata 10-1 in the Duluth tourney does that mean that Duluth is 10 teams worse then the 2nd place team?
Sweet.. 6 games, 40 hours, two lines. you do the math. My comment was sarcasm, you're just a tool shed... congrats on being the hill murray of j gold hockey.

FlyerChamp'11

Post by FlyerChamp'11 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:29 am

Duluth 4 wrote:
T-Train24 wrote:Since Duluth lost to Wayzata 10-1 in the Duluth tourney does that mean that Duluth is 10 teams worse then the 2nd place team?
Sweet.. 6 games, 40 hours, two lines. you do the math. My comment was sarcasm, you're just a tool shed... congrats on being the hill murray of j gold hockey.
Late in the tourney all teams were going through that. You can't use that as an excuse.

Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 pm

FlyerChamp'11 wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:
Late in the tourney all teams were going through that. You can't use that as an excuse.
Yeah, with two lines, and an extra game that nobody else played..? right. We beat you on our fifth. got stomped on our 6th, im not sure how we beat you, hence why my first comment was sarcasm. You guys are good.